LSJ: Banishment vs Call the Great Beast

SteveHarris

Mar 27, 2009, 11:26:08 PM3/27/09
We're in a tournament right now and we've got a situation that I
couldn't find a specific ruling on.

Vampire A (12 cap) calls Banishment and targets the Great Beast (9
cap) with 6 blood. Vote passes. Can the counters on the Great Beast,
now in the uncontrolled region, be transferred off and/or pool
influenced to the Great Beast. Does it count as a 9 capacity Vampire
while in the uncontrolled region?

The closest I could find was a ruling in relation to Undue Influence
on a Web of Knives Recruit, which doesn't count, so I have ruled that
the counters cannot be moved in either direction as transfers and the
Great Beast card is now a library card that has no capacity. Embrace
and Creation Rites have been ruled as having a capacity in the
uncontrolled region but they also have a blood drop counter on the
bottom right of their card.

Call the Great Beast
Cardtype: Action
Clan: Baali
Cost: 1 blood
+1 stealth action.
Put this card on the acting Baali and put X ritual counters on it,
where X is the capacity of this Baali. This Baali may put a ritual
counter on this card as a +1 stealth action. When this card has more
than 10 ritual counters, burn this Baali and choose three Disciplines.
This card becomes a unique clanless independent infernal vampire with
9 capacity, 4 strength and 3 bleed. The Great Beast has the chosen
three Disciplines at superior. Move 9 blood to him from the blood
bank. The Great Beast can enter combat with any ready minion
controlled by another Methuselah as a (D) action and can prevent 1
damage each combat.

Banishment
Cardtype: Political Action
Choose a younger ready vampire. Successful referendum means that the
chosen vampire is moved to the uncontrolled region (breaking any
temporary control effects). The vampire is uncontrolled. Any cards and
counters on that vampire stay with him or her (but they are out of
play as long as the vampire remains uncontrolled).

SteveHarris

Mar 28, 2009, 12:01:53 AM3/28/09
Never mind, for some reason my search couldn't find a ruling
initially, but I have found it now.

LSJ

Mar 28, 2009, 7:50:36 AM3/28/09
SteveHarris wrote:
> Never mind, for some reason my search couldn't find a ruling
> initially, but I have found it now.

If you post that you've found a ruling, especially if it is not obvious to find,
please post the ruling as well (or a link to the ruling).

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad/msg/22e73355bea42a94

Vegar...@gmail.com

Mar 28, 2009, 11:10:45 AM3/28/09
> http://groups.google.com/group/rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad/msg/22e7...

Question: What happens when a Progeny (or an Embrace or
a Creation Rite) is Banished?
Answer: It is placed in the uncontrolled region and
continues to be treated as a vampire of capacity 1
(plus any capacity from skill cards or other master
cards, of course), and it can be influenced as
normal.

Hey! Isn't the cards on vampires out of play and does not count? Like
Cadett and Reunion of Kamut? A Banished Embrace would just be a 1 cap
vamp in uncontrolled region

LSJ

Mar 28, 2009, 11:20:33 AM3/28/09

Jozxyqk

Mar 28, 2009, 12:59:52 PM3/28/09

> http://groups.google.com/group/rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad/msg/6029edb7384bced4

Captain Obvious feels the need to make a comment here:

If The Becoming is banished, it comes back out for free no matter what,
as a zero-capacity vampire (but keeps its blood when it comes back out, not to
exceed its skillcard-based capacity at that time).
There's gotta be a trick somewhere there... :)

James Coupe

Mar 28, 2009, 2:36:26 PM3/28/09
Jozxyqk <jfeu...@eecs.tufts.edu> wrote:
>Captain Obvious feels the need to make a comment here:
>
>If The Becoming is banished, it comes back out for free no matter what,
>as a zero-capacity vampire (but keeps its blood when it comes back out, not to
>exceed its skillcard-based capacity at that time).
>There's gotta be a trick somewhere there... :)

Interesting. By explicit ruling, vampires have a minimum capacity of
one. This is normally never an issue for The Becoming because it always
has discipline cards on it (or burns).

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad/msg/22e73355bea42a94?pli=1

Note that this ruling over-turned card text that allowed the existence
of a zero-capacity vampire (Purity of the Beast in a freakish, slow
motion accident - see that thread).

Is the Becoming in the uncontrolled region a one capacity vampire (by
that ruling) or a zero-capacity vampire (assuming that that ruling can
be overturned by the Golden Rule of Cards)? If the golden rule of cards
can apply and make a zero-capacity vampire in the uncontrolled region,
is there a reason the Becoming's other card text doesn't activate? The
discipline cards are out of play, so it has none on it, so could it
burn?

My head hurts.

--
James Coupe
PGP Key: 0x5D623D5D YOU ARE IN ERROR.

LSJ

Mar 28, 2009, 8:20:53 PM3/28/09
James Coupe wrote:
> Interesting. By explicit ruling, vampires have a minimum capacity of
> one. This is normally never an issue for The Becoming because it always
> has discipline cards on it (or burns).

> Is the Becoming in the uncontrolled region a one capacity vampire (by

> that ruling) or a zero-capacity vampire (assuming that that ruling can
> be overturned by the Golden Rule of Cards)? If the golden rule of cards
> can apply and make a zero-capacity vampire in the uncontrolled region,
> is there a reason the Becoming's other card text doesn't activate? The
> discipline cards are out of play, so it has none on it, so could it
> burn?

The minimum effective capacity of a vampire is one. Even in the uncontrolled
region.

Becoming's innate capacity is zero. With a capacity-increasing Discipline card,
it becomes 1. Without, it would still effectively be one (but, assuming the
Becoming's card text is in effect -- i.e., the Becoming is controlled, then it
would burn for the lack of capacity-increasing Discipline cards).

henrik

Mar 29, 2009, 3:43:14 AM3/29/09
On Mar 29, 1:20 am, LSJ <vtes...@white-wolf.com> wrote:

> The minimum effective capacity of a vampire is one. Even in the uncontrolled
> region.
>
> Becoming's innate capacity is zero. With a capacity-increasing Discipline card,
> it becomes 1. Without, it would still effectively be one (but, assuming the
> Becoming's card text is in effect -- i.e., the Becoming is controlled, then it
> would burn for the lack of capacity-increasing Discipline cards).

Just want to check if I got that right.
If I somehow get a Becoming in my uncontrolled region, it would count
as a 1 capacity vampire (regardless how many discipline masters it
has) for the purpose of coming into play (and recieving Groomings
etc). Well, that point is quite clear.

But, are you saying that the text on The Becoming would come into
effect and burn it before the discipline masters on it came into
play?
That'd make it impossible to get a Becoming back into play (longer
than a brief visit) once banished/realityd/etc?

LSJ

Mar 29, 2009, 7:47:23 AM3/29/09
henrik wrote:
> On Mar 29, 1:20 am, LSJ <vtes...@white-wolf.com> wrote:
>> The minimum effective capacity of a vampire is one. Even in the uncontrolled
>> region.
>>
>> Becoming's innate capacity is zero. With a capacity-increasing Discipline card,
>> it becomes 1. Without, it would still effectively be one (but, assuming the
>> Becoming's card text is in effect -- i.e., the Becoming is controlled, then it
>> would burn for the lack of capacity-increasing Discipline cards).
>
> But, are you saying that the text on The Becoming would come into
> effect and burn it before the discipline masters on it came into
> play?

No. When the Becoming is not in play, its card text is not in effect.

Juggernaut1981

Mar 29, 2009, 8:27:14 PM3/29/09

So to try summarise all of this...

A Becoming in play is a 0-cap vampire with discipline cards on it to
increase its capacity to 1 or greater.

If it is sent to the uncontrolled region (Banishment, Descent into
Darkness, etc) then it is treated as a 1-cap vampire and all of its
cardtext is inactive (including the burn text).

Therefore you need to have at least 1 blood counter on it for it to
return to the ready region.

When it returns to the ready region it gains all of its discipline
cards and retains all of the blood on it unless there are more blood
counters than capacity.

IC-O...@yandex.ru

Mar 30, 2009, 8:56:25 AM3/30/09

Juggernaut1981:

But after "Memory's Fading Glimpse", Becoming will never be able to
leave uncontrolled region and stay alive?

LSJ

Mar 30, 2009, 12:09:35 PM3/30/09
IC-O...@yandex.ru wrote:
> But after "Memory's Fading Glimpse", Becoming will never be able to
> leave uncontrolled region and stay alive?

Memory's Fading Glimpse will send uncontrolled-region Becoming to the ash heap.

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad/msg/103df88dbd93b4ee