Autonomic Mastery questions

Dasein

Nov 8, 2007, 10:42:34 PM11/8/07
Some questions about this freaky card. (assume all the following
questions involve playing the card at superior Dominate).

What happens if I play Autonomic Mastery at long range? Does it
successfully resolve, i.e. end combat? Or not?

Say I play it at close range, and the opposing minion's strike is
hands for 1. The card says "combat ends immediately after this strike
resolves". Assuming there is no first strike, does the opposing
minion's strike for 1 hand damage get to resolve too, i.e. I take 1
damage and combat ends immediately after that? I figured it would,
since strikes resolve simultaneously, and Autonomic Mastery is not a
"strike: combat ends" effect, it is a "strike: hand damage" strike,
that happens to also end combat as part of the resolution of the
strike.

Let's say that is the case; can the opposing minion play Disarm after
combat ends, since he struck me for more damage?

Daneel

Nov 9, 2007, 1:04:26 AM11/9/07
On Thu, 08 Nov 2007 19:42:34 -0800, Dasein <dasei...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Some questions about this freaky card. (assume all the following
> questions involve playing the card at superior Dominate).
>
> What happens if I play Autonomic Mastery at long range? Does it
> successfully resolve, i.e. end combat? Or not?

Although the strike is not effective at the range it still resolves.
However I think the combat ends effect isn't applied, the precedent
of sorts being Anesthetic Touch:

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad/browse_thread/thread/994c33c872dc031f/329da7d93b71081a?hl=en&lnk=st&q=Touch+Range+group%3Arec.games.trading-cards.jyhad+author%3ALSJ#329da7d93b71081a

> Say I play it at close range, and the opposing minion's strike is
> hands for 1. The card says "combat ends immediately after this strike
> resolves". Assuming there is no first strike, does the opposing
> minion's strike for 1 hand damage get to resolve too, i.e. I take 1
> damage and combat ends immediately after that? I figured it would,
> since strikes resolve simultaneously, and Autonomic Mastery is not a
> "strike: combat ends" effect, it is a "strike: hand damage" strike,
> that happens to also end combat as part of the resolution of the
> strike.

Surely; if you don't use it with first strike, the opposing minion
can land their one hit on you, and combat is only ended afterwards.

> Let's say that is the case; can the opposing minion play Disarm after
> combat ends, since he struck me for more damage?

Yep; end of combat is also end of round. In this case, unless you
prevent the opponent's strike damage, it is almost guaranteed that
they inflicted more damage at close range.

--
Regards,

Daneel

XZealot

Nov 9, 2007, 1:17:50 AM11/9/07
On Nov 8, 10:42 pm, Dasein <dasein2...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Some questions about this freaky card. (assume all the following
> questions involve playing the card at superior Dominate).
>
> What happens if I play Autonomic Mastery at long range? Does it
> successfully resolve, i.e. end combat? Or not?

You can't. See Card Text.

Autonomic Mastery
Type: Combat
Requires: Dominate
****Only usable at close range.****
[dom] Strike: burn the opposing non-wraith ally or a non-wraith
retainer on the opposing minion.
[DOM] Strike: hand strike. Damage from this strike is reduced to zero.
Combat ends immediately after this strike resolves, unless it is
dodged. Only usable in combat with a non-wraith ally or a younger
vampire.

XZealot

Nov 9, 2007, 1:19:22 AM11/9/07
On Nov 9, 1:04 am, Daneel <dan...@eposta.hu> wrote:

> On Thu, 08 Nov 2007 19:42:34 -0800, Dasein <dasein2...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> > Some questions about this freaky card. (assume all the following
> > questions involve playing the card at superior Dominate).
>
> > What happens if I play Autonomic Mastery at long range? Does it
> > successfully resolve, i.e. end combat? Or not?
>
> Although the strike is not effective at the range it still resolves.
> However I think the combat ends effect isn't applied, the precedent
> of sorts being Anesthetic Touch:

You can't play Anesthetic Touch at long range. READ THE CARD.

Anesthetic Touch
Type: Combat
Requires: Obeah/Auspex
****Only usable at close range.*****
[aus] Strike: dodge.
[obe] Strike: hand strike. Combat ends immediately after the
resolution of this strike.
[OBE] As [obe] above, with first strike.

Comments Welcome,
Norman S. Brown, Jr
XZealot
Archon of the Swamp

Daneel

Nov 9, 2007, 1:45:28 AM11/9/07

I did... Although the ruling I quoted seemed to me to indicate that
even if it could be played at long range it wouldn't end combat
because the rule on S:CE being effective at long range doesn't
affect it since it isn't an S:CE effect.

But, thanks for the kind words, as usual... :)

--
Regards,

Daneel

XZealot

Nov 9, 2007, 1:58:54 AM11/9/07
On Nov 9, 1:45 am, Daneel <dan...@eposta.hu> wrote:

You can't play a Thrown Sewer Lid at close range and you can't play
Anesthetic Touch at long range. They say it right there on the card,
"Only usable at long/close range"

Sorry if this seems unkind, but it's in print and hasn't been
changed.

How about a hug for your hurt feelings?

John Flournoy

Nov 9, 2007, 8:00:47 AM11/9/07

Yes. See this message/thread about playing Disarm after a S:CE has
resolved (and thus after combat has ended, while it is still 'the end
of a round'):

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad/msg/e7c16fe112104c65

-John Flournoy

Daneel

Nov 9, 2007, 10:17:45 AM11/9/07

The ruling I quoted seemed to me to indicate that even if Anesthetic
Touch could be played at long range, it wouldn't end combat because

the rule on S:CE being effective at long range doesn't affect it

since it isn't an S:CE effect. That's the reason for quoting the
ruling instead of just the card text.

At least I've found it interesting...

Happy gaming!

--
Regards,

Daneel

Baaliprimogen

Nov 12, 2007, 6:57:18 AM11/12/07
On 9 Nov, 16:17, Daneel <dan...@eposta.hu> wrote:
> Daneel- Skjul sitert tekst -
>
> - Vis sitert tekst -

can you use it to strike for 0 aggrevated and use rotschreck?

Johannes Walch

Nov 12, 2007, 7:19:28 AM11/12/07
Dasein schrieb:

> Some questions about this freaky card. (assume all the following
> questions involve playing the card at superior Dominate).
>
> What happens if I play Autonomic Mastery at long range? Does it
> successfully resolve, i.e. end combat? Or not?

Like XZealot said, you can´t even play it.

> Say I play it at close range, and the opposing minion's strike is
> hands for 1. The card says "combat ends immediately after this strike
> resolves". Assuming there is no first strike, does the opposing
> minion's strike for 1 hand damage get to resolve too, i.e. I take 1
> damage and combat ends immediately after that?

Right. Both of your strikes resolve at the same time.

> I figured it would,
> since strikes resolve simultaneously, and Autonomic Mastery is not a
> "strike: combat ends" effect, it is a "strike: hand damage" strike,
> that happens to also end combat as part of the resolution of the
> strike.

Correct. But mind that S:CE still resolves at the same time as a hand
strike, but it has the effect that the other strike has no effect (much
like a dodge)

> Let's say that is the case; can the opposing minion play Disarm after
> combat ends, since he struck me for more damage?

Yes he can. Please refer to LSJ´s message below.

--
Johannes Walch

LSJ

Nov 12, 2007, 7:28:45 AM11/12/07
Baaliprimogen wrote:
> can you use it to strike for 0 aggrevated and use rotschreck?

No. Striking for 0 agg doesn't meet Rötschreck's requirement that the minion
"attempt to inflict aggravated damage".

LSJ

Nov 12, 2007, 7:34:42 AM11/12/07
Johannes Walch wrote:
> Dasein schrieb:
>> Some questions about this freaky card. (assume all the following
>> questions involve playing the card at superior Dominate).
>>
>> What happens if I play Autonomic Mastery at long range? Does it
>> successfully resolve, i.e. end combat? Or not?
>
> Like XZealot said, you can´t even play it.

Correct, like card text also says.

>> Say I play it at close range, and the opposing minion's strike is
>> hands for 1. The card says "combat ends immediately after this strike
>> resolves". Assuming there is no first strike, does the opposing
>> minion's strike for 1 hand damage get to resolve too, i.e. I take 1
>> damage and combat ends immediately after that?
>
> Right. Both of your strikes resolve at the same time.

Correct.

>> I figured it would,
>> since strikes resolve simultaneously, and Autonomic Mastery is not a
>> "strike: combat ends" effect, it is a "strike: hand damage" strike,
>> that happens to also end combat as part of the resolution of the
>> strike.
>
> Correct. But mind that S:CE still resolves at the same time as a hand
> strike, but it has the effect that the other strike has no effect (much
> like a dodge)

No. A true Strike: combat ends effect (like Majesty) would resolve first,
"before other strikes or other strike resolution effects are resolved". [6.4.5]

Unlike strike against a dodging minion, a strike against a minion who plays a
S:CE does not resolve (unless the strike is also a S:CE, of course).