Shemti / Crocodile Temple + ousted

ira...@gmail.com

Nov 5, 2008, 7:19:09 PM11/5/08
Hello LSJ,

If I'm bled out while I have Shemti untapped, does the bleeding minion
still take 1 damage? Do I have time to tap Crocodile Temple or play
Touch of Pain before being ousted?

My intuition tells me the answer is "no" to all of them, but then I
confused myself thinking about the window for Life Boon. I think Life
Boon must happen after the action resolves. Therefore, if there's a
window for Life Boon after the action resolves, maybe there's a window
for these reactions, too.

Thanks,
Ira

Name: Shemti
[LotN:U]
Cardtype: Vampire
Clan: Follower of Set
Group: 5
Capacity: 9
Discipline: vic OBF POT PRE SER
Independent: Shemti has 1 vote (titled). While he is ready and
untapped, any minion successfully performing a (D) action against you
takes 1 damage (after resolving the action).

Name: The Crocodile Temple
[KMW:R, LotN:PS]
Cardtype: Master
Clan: Follower of Set
Master: unique location.
You may tap this card at the end of a successful (D) action against
you to inflict 1 damage on the acting minion (after resolving the
action).

Name: Touch of Pain
[SoC:C]
Cardtype: Reaction
Cost: 1 blood
Discipline: Potence
Only usable when a bleed against you is successful or a referendum
passes. Play after resolution.
[pot] This vampire inflicts 1 damage on the acting minion. Only one
Touch of Pain can be played each action.
[POT] As above, but for 2 damage

Name: Life Boon
[Jyhad:U, VTES:U, SW:PV, CE:PTo]
Cardtype: Master
Master: out-of-turn. (Boon)
Give pool to a Methuselah with no pool to keep him or her in the game;
put this card in play. During each of his or her untap phases, you can
collect 1 pool from that Methuselah. The first victory point that the
Methuselah wins is given to you (unless you are ousted by then). This
Life Boon is then burned.

LSJ

Nov 5, 2008, 7:27:34 PM11/5/08
ira...@gmail.com wrote:
> Hello LSJ,
>
> If I'm bled out while I have Shemti untapped, does the bleeding minion
> still take 1 damage? Do I have time to tap Crocodile Temple or play
> Touch of Pain before being ousted?
>
> My intuition tells me the answer is "no" to all of them,

Correct. Neither Shemti nor the Temple is in play at the requisite time.

ira...@gmail.com

Nov 5, 2008, 10:09:11 PM11/5/08
On Nov 5, 4:27 pm, LSJ <vtes...@white-wolf.com> wrote:
> ira...@gmail.com wrote:
> > Hello LSJ,
>
> > If I'm bled out while I have Shemti untapped, does the bleeding minion
> > still take 1 damage?  Do I have time to tap Crocodile Temple or play
> > Touch of Pain before being ousted?
>
> > My intuition tells me the answer is "no" to all of them,
>
> Correct. Neither Shemti nor the Temple is in play at the requisite time.

So in what window does Life Boon get played? I'm a little hazy on the
timing windows as an action is being completed. Could you explain it
in as much detail as you're willing?

Is this correct:
Blood Weakens is in play. I bleed with Art of Memory. My prey
attemps to block, I play Faceless Night at OBF. No more block
attempts. No more action modifiers.

Now, there's an "as the action is resolved" window, followed by an
"after the action is resolved window."
Burning pool occurs during the "as the action is resolved" window,
which is also when Life Boon would be played.
Faceless Night's effect occurs during the "as the action is resolved"
window.
Spying Mission also occurs during the "as the action is resolved"
window (both playing it the first time, and when it burns later.)
Blood Weakens says, "not replaced until the end of the current
action," so I think that means during the "after the action is
resolved" window, but I'm not sure.
Art of Memory says, "If the action is successful," so I that must also
be during the "after the action is resolved" window.
Freak Drive is clearly after the action is resolved.

If multiple effects occur during the same window, the acting player
can order them.

Is all of that right? I'd be surprised if I got it all correct. :)

Thanks,
Ira

Name: Faceless Night
[Jyhad:C, VTES:C, CE:C/PM4, BH:PM4/PN4, KMW:PB3, Third:C]
Cardtype: Action Modifier
Discipline: Obfuscate
[obf] +1 stealth.
[OBF] +1 stealth, and any minion who attempts to block this action and
fails becomes tapped when the action is resolved (before resolving the
action).

Name: Freak Drive
[Jyhad:R2, VTES:R, CE:U/PV2, Anarchs:PG, LoB:PA2, Third:U, LotN:PR]
Cardtype: Action Modifier
Cost: 1 blood
Discipline: Fortitude
[for] Only usable at the end of a successful action (after resolving
the action). This vampire untaps.
[FOR] As above, but usable even if the action is blocked (play after
combat, if any).

Name: Spying Mission
[Jyhad:U, VTES:U, CE:PM5/PN3, KMW:PB2, Third:U, LotN:PS2]
Cardtype: Action Modifier
Discipline: Obfuscate
[obf] +1 stealth.
[OBF] Only usable when a bleed would be successful. The bleed burns no
pool; it is unsuccessful. Instead, put this card on the acting
vampire. The next time this vampire successfully bleeds the same
Methuselah, burn this card for +2 bleed.

Name: The Art of Memory
[BH:U2]
Cardtype: Action Modifier
Requires a Black Hand vampire. Only usable when the action is
announced.
Remove this card from the game when it is played. If the action is
successful, move one card played by this vampire during this action
from your ash heap to your hand. Discard down to your hand size.

Name: Blood Weakens
[Gehenna:R]
Cardtype: Event
Gehenna. Do not replace until a vampire commits diablerie.
Cards that (a minion plays that) require any Disciplines to play are
not replaced until the end of the current action or until any
Methuselah's hand is empty (whichever comes first). Any vampire who
commits diablerie is immune to this effect until the next Gehenna card
is played.

LSJ

Nov 6, 2008, 6:48:23 AM11/6/08
ira...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Nov 5, 4:27 pm, LSJ <vtes...@white-wolf.com> wrote:
>> ira...@gmail.com wrote:
>>> Hello LSJ,
>>> If I'm bled out while I have Shemti untapped, does the bleeding minion
>>> still take 1 damage? Do I have time to tap Crocodile Temple or play
>>> Touch of Pain before being ousted?
>>> My intuition tells me the answer is "no" to all of them,
>> Correct. Neither Shemti nor the Temple is in play at the requisite time.
>
> So in what window does Life Boon get played? I'm a little hazy on the
> timing windows as an action is being completed. Could you explain it
> in as much detail as you're willing?

Life Boon's window is "as a Methuselah is being ousted" (without regard to
action resolution -- it could even be played when there is no action, like when
a Methuselah is ousted by Army or Rats or Dragonbound).

> Is this correct:
> Blood Weakens is in play. I bleed with Art of Memory. My prey
> attemps to block, I play Faceless Night at OBF. No more block
> attempts. No more action modifiers.
>
> Now, there's an "as the action is resolved" window, followed by an
> "after the action is resolved window."

Well, there's a "resolve the action" step. Some things are played when the
action is (would be) successful, but before resolution (Spying Mission) while
others are played after resolving the action (but still in the "resolution" step).

> Burning pool occurs during the "as the action is resolved" window,
> which is also when Life Boon would be played.

Life Boon is playable when a Methuselah is ousted, like Taste is playable when a
round ends or Psyche! is playable when combat ends. They work on triggers, not
phases.

> Faceless Night's effect occurs during the "as the action is resolved"
> window.

In the resolution step, before resolving the action, yes.

> Spying Mission also occurs during the "as the action is resolved"
> window (both playing it the first time, and when it burns later.)

Yes.

> Blood Weakens says, "not replaced until the end of the current
> action," so I think that means during the "after the action is
> resolved" window, but I'm not sure.

Right. After everything that is going to be done in the action is done.
Replacing means the action is over -- that you are now past the end of the action.

> Art of Memory says, "If the action is successful," so I that must also
> be during the "after the action is resolved" window.

It is during resolution and after resolving the action, yes.
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad/msg/e8ba59de4dde33a8

> Freak Drive is clearly after the action is resolved.

Yes.

> If multiple effects occur during the same window, the acting player
> can order them.

Yes.