? Force of Will, Mask of 2k Faces and Psychomachia

vermillian

Sep 27, 2002, 9:51:28 AM9/27/02
Just want to make sure I've got this right.

Minion A, tapped, plays force of will. Minion B, untapped, plays mask
of 2k faces, Minion A untaps, Minion B (who does have fortitude) takes
over.

Can Minion B take over? I say yes, because he taps due to the text of
Mo2kF.

Minion B gets blocked. He plays psychomachia in the inferior. To

"Cancel the current action and untap."

Does Minion B still take damage from FoW, which "occurs after the
action or combat is resolved"?

I say no, as the action never occured as psychomachia CANCELED the
action.

If I've got this right, a tapped minion, FoW, someone else Masks and
after being blocked Psychomachia's. No ones in torpor and you've got
your minions untapped again.

Of course you could've just freak drived to begin with, but...

~SV

LSJ

Sep 27, 2002, 10:01:46 AM9/27/02
vermillian wrote:

> Just want to make sure I've got this right.
>
> Minion A, tapped, plays force of will. Minion B, untapped, plays mask
> of 2k faces, Minion A untaps, Minion B (who does have fortitude) takes
> over.
>
> Can Minion B take over? I say yes, because he taps due to the text of
> Mo2kF.

No.
http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=3C24B9BA.836783A3%40white-wolf.com

A minion can't mask unless he's capable of performing the action in
the first place. And since Force of Will requires a tapped vampire,
the untapped would-be Masker cannot perform that action, so cannot
Mask.

That renders the other ruling (that the Force of Willer is
indeed untapped if the action gets Masked) moot, at least until
there's some way for a tapped minion to play a Mask-style effect.

My apologies for (again?) overlooking the requirements for Masking
a Force of Will.

> Minion B gets blocked. He plays psychomachia in the inferior. To
>
> "Cancel the current action and untap."
>
> Does Minion B still take damage from FoW, which "occurs after the
> action or combat is resolved"?
>
> I say no, as the action never occured as psychomachia CANCELED the
> action.

Correct.
Change of Target used to be in the same boat, but now "ends" the action
rather than canceling it, so the FoW damage would still be applied if
the action is Change of Targetted.

http://www.white-wolf.com/vtes/

vermillian

Sep 30, 2002, 8:51:53 AM9/30/02
LSJ <vte...@white-wolf.com> wrote in message news:<3D9464CA...@white-wolf.com>...

> vermillian wrote:
> >
> > Just want to make sure I've got this right.
> >
> > Minion A, tapped, plays force of will. Minion B, untapped, plays mask
> > of 2k faces, Minion A untaps, Minion B (who does have fortitude) takes
> > over.
> >
> > Can Minion B take over? I say yes, because he taps due to the text of
> > Mo2kF.
>
> No.
> http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=3C24B9BA.836783A3%40white-wolf.com
>
> A minion can't mask unless he's capable of performing the action in
> the first place. And since Force of Will requires a tapped vampire,
> the untapped would-be Masker cannot perform that action, so cannot
> Mask.
>
> That renders the other ruling (that the Force of Willer is
> indeed untapped if the action gets Masked) moot, at least until
> there's some way for a tapped minion to play a Mask-style effect.
>
> My apologies for (again?) overlooking the requirements for Masking
> a Force of Will.

Yeah, I was basing my thoughts on that matter from your post,
commenting that you could mask a FoW... I looked at the cards and
focused too much on the "tap this vampire".

> Correct.
> Change of Target used to be in the same boat, but now "ends" the action
> rather than canceling it, so the FoW damage would still be applied if
> the action is Change of Targetted.

Sweet. There's one way to get around FoW being blocked crap.

I assume since the action was canceled I can't freak drive?

~SV

LSJ

Sep 30, 2002, 8:56:42 AM9/30/02
vermillian wrote:
> I assume since the action was canceled I can't freak drive?

Right.