Pocket out of time + Domain of evernight (LSJ)

Blooded Sand

Mar 26, 2010, 7:50:24 AM3/26/10
Are you able to play domain of evernight after a combat, after already
being blocked, but before restarting via poot?
I understand Domain is an action modifier, but PooT specifically
states after combat, so seemingly should be able to work. Unless there
is now window for action modifiers to be played after combat? ;)

Pocket Out of Time
Type: Action Modifier
Requires: Temporis / Obtenebration
[obt] This vampire burns 1 blood to get +1 stealth.
[tem] +1 stealth.
[TEM] After any combat this action, this vampire can burn 1 blood to
start a new combat with the opposing minion (if both combatants are
still ready).

Domain of Evernight
Type: Action Modifier
Requires: Temporis/Obfuscate
[obf] +1 stealth.
[tem] If this action is blocked, all damage done to vampires in the
resulting combat is aggravated.
[TEM] Only usable when an action is successful. Untap this acting
vampire. A vampire can play only one Domain of Evernight at superior
each turn.

Big Eye

Mar 26, 2010, 9:05:29 AM3/26/10

IANLSJ but, DoE is only usable on a successful action. In your
question, you say combat insues due to a block. If that is the case
then, no you can not play DoE. If it was a successful rush w/o a
blocker then I would say yes. If I understand you correctly. :)

LSJ

Mar 26, 2010, 9:12:13 AM3/26/10
On Mar 26, 7:50 am, Blooded Sand <sandm...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Are you able to play domain of evernight after a combat, after already
> being blocked, but before restarting via poot?

No, you can't play it at [obt] or [tem] since you're already resolved
the action, and you can't play it at [TEM] since the action isn't
successful.

Note that for [tem], the answer is mostly moot anyhow, since the new
combat is not the combat "resulting" from the block, so even if you
could play it, it wouldn't have any effect.

suoli

Mar 26, 2010, 9:21:39 AM3/26/10

I take it you can play POoT after combat, then. Why? There's no
explicit text allowing it to be played after action resolution.

LSJ

Mar 26, 2010, 9:37:16 AM3/26/10
On Mar 26, 9:21 am, suoli <suoliruse...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Pocket Out of Time
> > > Type: Action Modifier
> > > Requires: Temporis / Obtenebration
> > > [obt] This vampire burns 1 blood to get +1 stealth.
> > > [tem] +1 stealth.
> > > [TEM] After any combat this action, this vampire can burn 1 blood to
> > > start a new combat with the opposing minion (if both combatants are
> > > still ready).
>
> I take it you can play POoT after combat, then. Why? There's no
> explicit text allowing it to be played after action resolution.

Card text: "After any combat this action"

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad/msg/88e3071ffa86ac2f

suoli

Mar 26, 2010, 9:58:21 AM3/26/10
> http://groups.google.com/group/rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad/msg/88e3...

I understand why you can use the ongoing effect of POoT after combat.
I don't understand why you can play POoT after combat.

John P.

Mar 26, 2010, 10:47:34 AM3/26/10
On Mar 26, 7:12 am, LSJ <vtes...@white-wolf.com> wrote:
> On Mar 26, 7:50 am, Blooded Sand <sandm...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Are you able to play domain of evernight after a combat, after already
> > being blocked, but before restarting via poot?
>
> No, you can't play it at [obt] or [tem] since you're already resolved
> the action, and you can't play it at [TEM] since the action isn't
> successful.

If the action was in question a successful (unblocked) bum's rush, can
you then play DoEN and then POot? Or in reverse order?

LSJ

Mar 26, 2010, 12:33:07 PM3/26/10

at [TEM]? Yes, you play it like Freak Drive at [for].

suoli

Mar 26, 2010, 1:20:13 PM3/26/10

Creep Drive
Type: Action Modifier
Requires: Tempotude
[tmp] This acting vampire may burn one blood to untap after resolving
the current action.

Can Creep Drive be played after combat like Freak Drive even though it
doesn't say it can and action modifiers can't normally be played after
combat?

JH

Mar 26, 2010, 7:49:59 PM3/26/10

Freak Drive's "play after combat, if any" is just a reminder text.
Combats that result from an action are part of the action.

Kevin M.

Mar 26, 2010, 11:19:37 PM3/26/10
suoli wrote:
> LSJ wrote:

>> suoli wrote:
>>> I take it you can play POoT after combat, then. Why? There's
>>> no explicit text allowing it to be played after action resolution.
>>
>> Card text: "After any combat this action"
>
> I understand why you can use the ongoing effect of POoT after combat.
> I don't understand why you can play POoT after combat.

You can play POoT after combat because POoT says you can play it
"after any combat this action", and since there are steps which
specifically allow appropriate action modifiers to be played
(see: http://www.white-wolf.com/vtes/index.php?line=outline, VI.F
or IV.E.), it is clear that POoT can be played at this point, and
that the typical card text noting that a card can be played at this
time is redundant.

Kevin M., Prince of Las Vegas
"Know your enemy and know yourself; in one-thousand battles
you shall never be in peril." -- Sun Tzu, *The Art of War*
"Contentment...Complacency...Catastrophe!" -- Joseph Chevalier
Please visit VTESville daily! http://vtesville.myminicity.com/

suoli

Mar 26, 2010, 11:59:01 PM3/26/10
On 27 maalis, 05:19, "Kevin M." <youw...@imaspammer.org> wrote:
> suoli wrote:
> > LSJ wrote:
>
> >> Card text: "After any combat this action"
>
> > I understand why you can use the ongoing effect of POoT after combat.
> > I don't understand why you can play POoT after combat.
>
> You can play POoT after combat because POoT says you can play it
> "after any combat this action",

Well, it says that you can trigger the effect "after any combat this
action".

> and since there are steps which
> specifically allow appropriate action modifiers to be played
> (see:http://www.white-wolf.com/vtes/index.php?line=outline, VI.F
> or IV.E.), it is clear that POoT can be played at this point, and
> that the typical card text noting that a card can be played at this
> time is redundant.
>
> Kevin M., Prince of Las Vegas
> "Know your enemy and know yourself; in one-thousand battles
>  you shall never be in peril." -- Sun Tzu, *The Art of War*
> "Contentment...Complacency...Catastrophe!" -- Joseph Chevalier
> Please visit VTESville daily!http://vtesville.myminicity.com/

Is this the important bit?
Action ends *(after all combats and other effects to be applied to the
action are resolved)*.

So the timing window for playing an action modifier is expanded by the
timing window of it's potential effects? If so, why can't Daring the
Dawn or some other action modifier with a post-resolution effect be
played after combat?

suoli

Mar 27, 2010, 12:09:51 AM3/27/10
On 27 maalis, 01:49, JH <jhatt...@tenerdo.org> wrote:

> Freak Drive's "play after combat, if any" is just a reminder text.
> Combats that result from an action are part of the action.

Sure they are, they're the resolution. But you can't normally play
action modifiers after action resolution, which means no action
modifiers after combat.
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad/msg/aed06f7e5298bba4

Freak Drive specifically states that it can be played "at the end of a
successful action" and "even if the action is blocked" at superior.
POoT and Creep Drive don't have that text so I imagine they'd have to
abide by the usual rules.

YY

Mar 27, 2010, 12:58:15 AM3/27/10
On Mar 27, 11:19 am, "Kevin M." <youw...@imaspammer.org> wrote:
> suoli wrote:
> > LSJ wrote:
>
> >> Card text: "After any combat this action"
>
> > I understand why you can use the ongoing effect of POoT after combat.
> > I don't understand why you can play POoT after combat.
>
> You can play POoT after combat because POoT says you can play it
> "after any combat this action"

POoT says that once has been played, its effects can be used after any
combat this action. My understanding is that it has to be played
during the regular action modifier window, but its effects can be used
after the action resolves (specifically after any combat that action),
i.e. play before the first combat occurs, use its effect after that
and any subsequent combat this action = yes; play after the first
combat this action and immediately use its effect = no (since there's
no window to play it even if there's a window to trigger it's effect).

Answers here point to no, which I feel is counter-intuitive.

-YY

Juggernaut1981

Mar 27, 2010, 3:28:49 AM3/27/10

POoT doesn't mention when it is played, therefore it should be played
before the action. Similar to Forced March at [CEL][FOR]... You can't
play Forced March at [CEL][FOR] after the action resolves to get the
"burn 1 blood to untap". So you need to play POoT before the block
resolves... then LATER you can burn 1 blood to get a quasi-psyche.

LSJ

Mar 27, 2010, 8:08:52 AM3/27/10
On Mar 27, 12:58 am, YY <the1andonl...@yahoo.com.sg> wrote:
> Answers here point to no, which I feel is counter-intuitive.

?
Official answers here are explicitly "Pocket Out of Time can be played
after the combat".
With the explicit explanation given in the link given here.

Chris Berger

Mar 27, 2010, 9:53:15 AM3/27/10

The "explicit explanation" linked to by that link is: "Yes, I'd say
that its text indicates post-resolution ability. "

That's hardly explicit explanation. The other explanation you gave is
that card text says it can be played after combat. Card text does not
say when it can be played, not explicitly. It says when its effect
happens.

I'm not saying that you haven't ruled that it can be played after
combat. You have. Thus, it can be played after combat. I'm not even
saying I have a problem with the ruling (this is my first post in this
thread, and I'm not arguing with your ruling, just with your statement
that the ruling has been explained). But it's hardly intuitive, and
there certainly hasn't been any explicit explanation of *why* it can
be played after combat.