Action Modifiers in and around combat

ira...@gmail.com

Feb 16, 2008, 6:08:20 PM2/16/08
Hello LSJ,

Per the rulebook, only combat cards can be played in combat. Action
Modifiers like Inspire Greatness can be played while other minions are
in combat, since the modifying minion isn't in combat.

Here's a specific example that I'm not sure about:
Vamp A with a Soul Gem and 2 blood is bleeding.
Minion B blocks.

In the resulting combat, Minion B strikes for 2 damage, which would
leave Vamp A with zero blood. Vamp A's controller would rather have
Vamp A burn, and would therefore like to play Daring the Dawn at basic
after combat, and before the action resolves. Is that legal?

If Minion B strikes for 3 damage, and Vamp A is going to torpor, does
Vamp A still have time to play an Action Modifier?

I think the answer to both questions is Yes, since Freak Drive can be
played after combat, and it's an Action Modifier.

Thanks,
Ira

LSJ

Feb 16, 2008, 8:39:29 PM2/16/08
ira...@gmail.com wrote:
> Hello LSJ,
>
> Per the rulebook, only combat cards can be played in combat.

True.

> Action
> Modifiers like Inspire Greatness can be played while other minions are
> in combat, since the modifying minion isn't in combat.

Not true. The prohibition against non-combat minion cards being played in combat
offers no exceptions for non-combatants.

Inspire Greatness cannot be played during combat, since it is a minion card but
not a combat card.

> Here's a specific example that I'm not sure about:
> Vamp A with a Soul Gem and 2 blood is bleeding.
> Minion B blocks.
>
> In the resulting combat, Minion B strikes for 2 damage, which would
> leave Vamp A with zero blood. Vamp A's controller would rather have
> Vamp A burn, and would therefore like to play Daring the Dawn at basic
> after combat, and before the action resolves. Is that legal?

This is unrelated to the question of action modifiers during combat, but no:

1) The block combat *is* action resolution (it does not precede resolution).
2) action modifiers cannot be played after resolution, in general.

> If Minion B strikes for 3 damage, and Vamp A is going to torpor, does
> Vamp A still have time to play an Action Modifier?

Yes, if the action modifier is one that can be played after resolution.

Daring the Dawn is not such an action modifier.

> I think the answer to both questions is Yes, since Freak Drive can be
> played after combat, and it's an Action Modifier.

Freak Drive is, indeed, such a modifier.

ira...@gmail.com

Feb 18, 2008, 4:01:33 AM2/18/08
On Feb 16, 5:39 pm, LSJ <vtes...@white-wolf.com> wrote:

> ira...@gmail.com wrote:
> Not true. The prohibition against non-combat minion cards being played in combat
> offers no exceptions for non-combatants.
>
> Inspire Greatness cannot be played during combat, since it is a minion card but
> not a combat card.

OK, thanks for the correction. For some reason I thought I could play
Mask of 1000 Faces to take over a combat, because I remembered some
discussion about Mateusz taking over for Lazvernius.

Having just searched for that, I realize now that it was in the
context of a vamp getting blocked, playing Form of Mist to continue,
*then* Mask of 1000 Faces. So the Mask was still not in combat, and
the combat mattered for purposes of the Mask.

Mask of 1000 Faces is probably the most complicated card I know.

> > In the resulting combat, Minion B strikes for 2 damage, which would
> > leave Vamp A with zero blood. Vamp A's controller would rather have
> > Vamp A burn, and would therefore like to play Daring the Dawn at basic
> > after combat, and before the action resolves. Is that legal?
>
> This is unrelated to the question of action modifiers during combat, but no:
>
> 1) The block combat *is* action resolution (it does not precede resolution).
> 2) action modifiers cannot be played after resolution, in general.

OK, thanks for the clarification.

Ira