(LSJ) Dr. John Dee

f.va...@chello.hu

Jun 9, 2009, 9:43:31 AM6/9/09
Just a quick question:

May I use J.D.'s special multiple times during a referendum?

Dr. John Dee, 9, chi ANI AUS DOM THA, Tremere, 4, [KoT]
Camarilla Prince of London: Ventrue in combat with John may not end
combat as a strike. During a referendum, John may burn a card that
requires Thaumaturgy from your hand to gain two votes.

Thanks,
Ferenc V.

LSJ

Jun 9, 2009, 9:50:52 AM6/9/09
f.va...@chello.hu wrote:
> Just a quick question:
>
> May I use J.D.'s special multiple times during a referendum?

No. "During X, do Y" means once per X.

The Lasombra

Jun 9, 2009, 9:51:25 AM6/9/09
On Jun 9, 9:43 am, f.vasa...@chello.hu wrote:
> Just a quick question:

Just a quick answer.

> May I use J.D.'s special multiple times during a referendum?

No.

> Dr. John Dee, 9, chi ANI AUS DOM THA, Tremere, 4, [KoT]
> Camarilla Prince of London: Ventrue in combat with John may not end
> combat as a strike. During a referendum, John may burn a card that
> requires Thaumaturgy from your hand to gain two votes.

Observe format of ability:

During (X), do (Y).

This format always restricts Y to ONCE during X.

http://www.white-wolf.com/vtes/index.php?line=rulings

"During time period X, (you may) do Y" limits Y to once per phase X.
[LSJ 19970625]

f.va...@chello.hu

Jun 9, 2009, 10:14:39 AM6/9/09
Thanks, that was quick. :)

I'm a sad panda tho..

Kevin M.

Jun 9, 2009, 7:12:17 PM6/9/09
LSJ wrote:
> f.va...@chello.hu wrote:
>> Just a quick question:
>>
>> May I use J.D.'s special multiple times during a referendum?
>
> No. "During X, do Y" means once per X.

Can we get this put into a new section in the rulebook, perhaps
into a 1.5[7] "Text and Abilities"?

Doesn't the continued asking and answering of this question
warrant some kind of section regarding vampire text/abilities?

Kevin M., Prince of Las Vegas
"Know your enemy and know yourself; in one-thousand battles
you shall never be in peril." -- Sun Tzu, *The Art of War*
"Contentment...Complacency...Catastrophe!" -- Joseph Chevalier
Please visit VTESville daily! http://vtesville.myminicity.com/

pispas

Jun 9, 2009, 7:13:07 PM6/9/09
On 9 jun, 16:14, f.vasa...@chello.hu wrote:
> Thanks, that was quick. :)
>
> I'm a sad panda tho..

Another not-so-unrelated question...

If you have 8 transfers in your influence phase, using the new
akunanse card,mapatano Utando, can you use antonio d'erlette's ability
twice ?

I mean, there isn't a clear "during time period x, (you may) do Y" in
antonio's ability, right

Mapatano Utando, Master, Akunanse, R , [EK:R]
Unique master. Put this card in play. You may tap this card to reduce
a bleed against you by 1. During your influence phase, you may tap
this card and burn the Edge to gain 4 transfers. Any vampire may burn
this card as a (D) action that costs 1 blood.

Antonio d`Erlette, 5, dom for pot THA, Tremere Antitribu, 4, [Third:V]
Sabbat: While Antonio is ready, you may spend four transfers to search
your hand or library (shuffle afterward) for a mage ally Antonio could
play. Put that ally in play with life equal to his starting amount
(pay cost as normal).

LSJ

Jun 9, 2009, 7:19:27 PM6/9/09
pispas wrote:
> On 9 jun, 16:14, f.vasa...@chello.hu wrote:
>> Thanks, that was quick. :)
>>
>> I'm a sad panda tho..
>
> Another not-so-unrelated question...
>
> If you have 8 transfers in your influence phase, using the new
> akunanse card,mapatano Utando, can you use antonio d'erlette's ability
> twice ?

Yes.

> I mean, there isn't a clear "during time period x, (you may) do Y" in
> antonio's ability, right

Yes. "While" is used expressly to reinforce this.
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad/msg/4cf6d38e3881b381

devil_in_the_p...@yahoo.com

Jun 9, 2009, 7:44:40 PM6/9/09
> Can we get this put into a new section in the rulebook, perhaps
> into a 1.5[7] "Text and Abilities"?

This is a most excellent idea.

Juggernaut1981

Jun 10, 2009, 7:43:41 PM6/10/09

I also think that as a concept that principle should be "When
conditions X are met, you may do Y once unless card text explicity
contradicts"

The "during time period" clause on Antonio d'Erlette's card text is:
"While Antonio is ready, you may spend four transfers" because
transfers only exist in your transfer phase. So during your transfer
phase (when you can spend transfers) you may spend 4 of those
transfers to do Y.

I agree that maybe including that in the rules as its own specific
"core rule" may be a good solution for the future. Especially
combined with the "Each copy of a card in play counts as a separate
action" and NRA rules. It's almost a "No Repeat Effect" rule, that
mirrors the NRA rule.

John Flournoy

Jun 11, 2009, 11:30:25 AM6/11/09
On Jun 10, 6:43 pm, Juggernaut1981 <brasscompo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jun 10, 9:44 am, devil_in_the_pale_moon_li...@yahoo.com wrote:
>
> > > Can we get this put into a new section in the rulebook, perhaps
> > > into a 1.5[7] "Text and Abilities"?
>
> > This is a most excellent idea.
>
> I also think that as a concept that principle should be "When
> conditions X are met, you may do Y once unless card text explicity
> contradicts"

This is not what the rule is, though, and changing that rule changes
the balance of a number of cards whose effect is repeatable (or at
least repeatable with some effort.)

> The "during time period" clause on Antonio d'Erlette's card text is:
> "While Antonio is ready, you may spend four transfers" because
> transfers only exist in your transfer phase.  So during your transfer
> phase (when you can spend transfers) you may spend 4 of those
> transfers to do Y.

Except that if you have eight transfers in your influence phase (there
are several ways to achieve this), you may use Antonio's power twice.
It's not actually limited to once per influence phase, due to not
actually having a 'during X do Y' wording.

Similarly, Maris Streck can use her ability to grant intercept over
and over again, despite it _effectively_ only being usable 'during an
action' - the lack of "During" in her card text is a deliberate one,
not an accident, just like the lack of "during" on Antonio D'Erlette
is not an mistaken omission.

-John Flournoy