LSJ: dawn op/undying thirst timing

talonz

Jul 14, 2010, 12:32:37 AM7/14/10
Heres the issue; grandpred bleeds my pred, who bounces it to me. We
discuss my need to block that and if we can play nice in combat. He
agrees, and I tap my vampire for the block. My grand pred asks if I
can maneuver. At this point he is blocked so I play undying thirst
(only playable when the block is successful and before combat if any).

My grandpred is displeased with this and plays dawnop/weather control.

Dawn op is not a combat card, so they cant directly be played together
like that (although often the point is moot).

But the real question here is if dawn op is in a seperate window
*before* 'block is successful'(ie: before or during block attempts,
before 'block is successful'). It certainly can be played before
that, but *must* it be played before the block is successful? I think
it does. Card wording is 'if this action is blocked' and 'minions
attempting to block can/cannot back out'. This to me means you must
play it before the acting player announces the block is successful.

The issue at hand was really the timing once I had played thirst.

So, can the dawn op be played in response to undying thirst (because
it has the same window somehow), or must it be played before the block
is deemed successful (and thus before the undying thirst window)?

Wedge

Jul 14, 2010, 1:00:30 AM7/14/10

As far as I know it can be played before blocks are declaired, after
blocks are declaired or declined,
but not after combat.

[for] If this action is blocked, all damage inflicted to all vampires
in the resulting combat is aggravated. Any vampire attempting to block
may now choose not to block.
[FOR] As above, but vampires attempting to block cannot back out.

Izaak

Jul 14, 2010, 3:04:32 AM7/14/10

"Wedge" <mat...@gmail.com> schreef in bericht

That still doesn't answer the question does it? "Can a Dawn Operation be
played in response to an Undying Thirst".

My guess is that you can't because the action is already in the "it's
blocked" status and Undying Thirst is played in the same window as Obedience
is. Right before combat, but not quite in it yet. You can't add more stealth
(or block fails or something) after Obedience is played so similarly I'd say
you can't play Dawn Operation is response to Undying Thirst.

I have a trackrecord of guessing this stuff wrong though, so it's probably a
good idea to wait for a more official response.

Blooded Sand

Jul 14, 2010, 3:38:45 AM7/14/10

Quoting the relevant card text is quite useful

As a result of the only usable after a succesful block means i agree,
dawn op cannot be played any longer

Undying Thirst

Only usable when a Baali successfully blocks (play before combat, if
any).
Put this card on the acting vampire. When there are any vampires in
torpor that this vampire can diablerize, this vampire cannot take any
action other than diablerie (although he or she is free not to take
any action). If this vampire must hunt, he or she may choose to
diablerize a vampire instead.

LSJ

Jul 14, 2010, 6:53:15 AM7/14/10
On Jul 14, 3:38 am, Blooded Sand <sandm...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 14 čnc, 06:32, talonz <talon...@yahoo.ca> wrote:
>

> > Heres the issue; grandpred bleeds my pred, who bounces it to me.  We
> > discuss my need to block that and if we can play nice in combat.  He
> > agrees, and  I tap my vampire for the block.  My grand pred asks if I
> > can maneuver.  At this point he is blocked so I play undying thirst
> > (only playable when the block is successful and before combat if any).
>
> > My grandpred is displeased with this and plays dawnop/weather control.
>
> > Dawn op is not a combat card, so they cant directly be played together
> > like that (although often the point is moot).
>
> > But the real question here is if dawn op is in a seperate window
> > *before* 'block is successful'(ie: before or during block attempts,
> > before 'block is successful').  It certainly can be played before
> > that, but *must* it be played before the block is successful?  I think
> > it does.  Card wording is 'if this action is blocked' and 'minions
> > attempting to block can/cannot back out'.  This to me means you must
> > play it before the acting player announces the block is successful.
>
> > The issue at hand was really the timing once I had played thirst.
>
> > So, can the dawn op be played in response to undying thirst (because
> > it has the same window somehow), or must it be played before the block
> > is deemed successful (and thus before the undying thirst window)?
>
> Quoting the relevant card text is quite useful
>
> As a result of the only usable after a succesful block means i agree,
> dawn op cannot be played any longer

Correct.
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad/msg/89325495680538ca