[LSJ] Allies becoming 'uncontrolled'

Frederick Scott

Apr 30, 2010, 2:10:12 PM4/30/10
From rule 6.1.5, Recruit Ally (+1 stealth):

(second paragraph)

"To recruit an ally from your hand, play the card and tap the
acting minion. If the action is successful, the ally is placed
in your uncontrolled region, even though it is controlled, to
indicate the ally cannot act this turn (and the cost, if any,
is paid). ..."

(third paragraph)

"At the end of the turn, any allies that were placed in your
uncontrolled region (to indicate that they cannot act) are moved
to your ready region."

Heaven's Gate
Combat
1 blood
Req. Obeah or Necromancy
[nec] Prevent 1 damage to an ally in combat.
[obe] Only usable when an ally is burned in combat. Move that ally
to his or her controller's uncontrolled region (controlled, but not
read) instead. Put 1 life on the ally from the blood bank if he or
she has no life.
[OBE] As [obe] above, but add up to 2 life to the ally, not to exceed
his or her starting amount.

Nothing on the Heaven's Gate card actually refers directly to rule 6.1.5,
which is applied when recruiting an ally, but it's the only place in the
rules that actually deals with allies in the uncontrolled area. So my
question is, if I use an Heaven's Gate to prevent an ally I control from
being burned in combat during another player's turn (and thus my ally
goes into my uncontrolled area), when does it come out? On the other
player's turn (and hence able to act on my next turn) or my next turn,
thus preventing it from acting on that turn?

Fred

LSJ

Apr 30, 2010, 2:53:28 PM4/30/10

Your turn, due to the use of "your" in [6.1.5]

Juggernaut1981

May 1, 2010, 3:56:31 AM5/1/10
> Your turn, due to the use of "your" in [6.1.5]- Hide quoted text -

There was no recruit action, as required by the start of 6.1.5, so it
cannot move from your hand to the uncontrolled.

I honestly would have thought that Para#3 would have made the "move to
ready" happen at the end of the current turn (no matter the
Methuselah).

E.g. Ossian blocks an action by Meth B and is destroyed in combat but
is saved by Heaven's Gate. Ossian goes to the uncontrolled region (as
per Heaven's Gate) and (using 6.1.5 Para#3) he returns to your
controlled at the end of the turn (i.e. End of Meth B's turn).

Aaron Clark

May 1, 2010, 5:46:29 AM5/1/10
This ruling seems strange. Rule 6.1.5. really does not cover the
circumstance in question. Addtionally, this rules section never
specifically says "your turn".

The sentence: "At the end of the turn, any allies that were placed in

your uncontrolled region (to indicate that they cannot act) are moved

to your ready region.", when read alone, would indicate pretty clearly
that the ally leaves the uncontrolled region at the end of the current
turn. However "the turn" being indicated here is the turn the ally is
recruited. Incidentally, the recruitment does not have to be on the
Methusaleh's turn. A Muddled Vampire Hunter could be recruited during
another Methusaleh's turn with the help the Madness Network, for
example. My reading of the rule says that a Muddled Vampire Hunter
recruited during another Methusaleh's turn would come out of the
uncontrolled region at the end of the same turn it was recruited.

According to this ruling, the Muddled Vampire Hunter in my example
would not enter the ready region until the end of the his controller's
next turn. I guess he would be immune to directed attacks during this
time?

Juggernaut1981

May 1, 2010, 9:59:15 PM5/1/10

> According to this ruling, the Muddled Vampire Hunter in my example
> would not enter the ready region until the end of the his controller's
> next turn.  I guess he would be immune to directed attacks during this
> time?

No the minion is controlled (and there is no "uncontrolled region" for
allies) so you'd have to keep your little vamp hunter protected until
it could act on its own.

floppyzedolfin

May 1, 2010, 10:13:38 PM5/1/10

Isn't this contradictory with http://groups.google.fr/group/rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad/msg/26a6e418db12e1a2
?
I'm not sure which "your" you're referring to, but the most important
part seems to be "at the end of _the_ turn" , which is the end of the
current turn.

Aaron Clark

May 2, 2010, 12:03:47 AM5/2/10
On May 1, 6:59 pm, Juggernaut1981 <brasscompo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> No the minion is controlled (and there is no "uncontrolled region" for
> allies) so you'd have to keep your little vamp hunter protected until
> it could act on its own.

From section 6.1.5 of the rulebook:

LSJ

May 2, 2010, 5:37:28 PM5/2/10

> There was no recruit action, as required by the start of 6.1.5, so it

> cannot move from your hand to the uncontrolled.

?

And it doesn't move from your hand, sure. But that is moot.

> I honestly would have thought that Para#3 would have made the "move to
> ready" happen at the end of the current turn (no matter the
> Methuselah).

Correct. (REVERSAL of my answer above: sorry about that.)

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad/msg/0db4765784dd154c

> E.g. Ossian blocks an action by Meth B and is destroyed in combat but
> is saved by Heaven's Gate.  Ossian goes to the uncontrolled region (as
> per Heaven's Gate) and (using 6.1.5 Para#3) he returns to your
> controlled at the end of the turn (i.e. End of Meth B's turn).

Correct.