Q. Madness Network and Stealing Allies :LSJ

SteveHarris

Feb 22, 2010, 9:17:56 AM2/22/10
If Methuselah A recruits an ally, then at the end of their minion
phase, can Methuselah B, who has an untapped Malkavian and Madness
Network is in play, declare a steal ally action (Far Mastery,
Restructure, etc) on the freshly recuited ally? (This could also be
done by a minion with Enkil Cog)

The reason I ask is that the rulebook says the following about
successfully recruiting allies:

6.1.5. Recruit Ally (+1 stealth)

.... If the action is successful, the ally is placed in your
uncontrolled region, even though it is controlled, to indicate that it
cannot act this turn (and the cost, if any, is paid) ... At the end of
the turn, any allies that were placed in your uncontrolled region (to
indicate that they cannot act) are moved to your ready region.

So technically the ally is "controlled", although it is not in the
controlled region, and steal ally cards tend to state "Take control of
an ally controlled by another Methuselah."

Madness Network
Cardtype: Master
Clan: Malkavian
Unique master.
Put this card in play. Untapped Malkavians can take actions in any
Methuselah's minion phase (follow normal sequencing rules). Any minion
can burn this card as an action that any untapped Malkavian (in
addition to the normally eligible blockers) can attempt to block.

Far Mastery
Cardtype: Action
Cost: 1 blood
Discipline: Dominate
+1 stealth action.
[dom] (D) The acting vampire takes control of a retainer controlled by
another vampire.
[DOM] (D) Take control of an ally controlled by another Methuselah.

Enkil Cog
Cardtype: Action Modifier
Requires a vampire of capacity 10 or more. Unique.
Only usable when this vampire successfully bleeds your prey (play
after resolution). Put this card on this vampire. During any
Methuselah's minion phase, this vampire may tap this card to attempt
an action. This vampire has +1 bleed.

Baaliprimogen

Feb 22, 2010, 9:47:35 AM2/22/10

I would say it depends on the Steal Ally card. As long as it doesn't
say: "Take control of an ally in the controlled region" I think Yes.

Blooded Sand

Feb 22, 2010, 11:01:06 AM2/22/10
On Feb 22, 3:17 pm, SteveHarris <steveharris1...@gmail.com> wrote:
> If Methuselah A recruits an ally, then at the end of their minion
> phase, can Methuselah B, who has an untapped Malkavian and Madness
> Network is in play, declare a steal ally action (Far Mastery,
> Restructure, etc) on the freshly recuited ally?  (This could also be
> done by a minion with Enkil Cog)

Yup, its a legal play.. even better, is that you can act on your turn
with the ally immediately.

LSJ

Feb 22, 2010, 11:04:56 AM2/22/10
On Feb 22, 9:47 am, Baaliprimogen <vegardki...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Feb 22, 3:17 pm, SteveHarris <steveharris1...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > If Methuselah A recruits an ally, then at the end of their minion
> > phase, can Methuselah B, who has an untapped Malkavian and Madness
> > Network is in play, declare a steal ally action (Far Mastery,
> > Restructure, etc) on the freshly recuited ally?  (This could also be
> > done by a minion with Enkil Cog)
>
> > The reason I ask is that the rulebook says the following about
> > successfully recruiting allies:
>
> > 6.1.5. Recruit Ally (+1 stealth)
>
> > .... If the action is successful, the ally is placed in your
> > uncontrolled region, even though it is controlled, to indicate that it
> > cannot act this turn (and the cost, if any, is paid) ... At the end of
> > the turn, any allies that were placed in your uncontrolled region (to
> > indicate that they cannot act) are moved to your ready region.
>
> > So technically the ally is "controlled", although it is not in the
> > controlled region, and steal ally cards tend to state "Take control of
> > an ally controlled by another Methuselah."
>
> I would say it depends on the Steal Ally card. As long as it doesn't
> say: "Take control of an ally in the controlled region" I think Yes.

Correct. That is: it is allowed to steal an ally that was recruited in
the current turn (who has not yet been moved to the ready region).

Note that the ally still remains in the (new controller's)
uncontrolled region, waiting to be moved to the (new controller's)
ready region at the end of the turn. That is, the ally still cannot
act (even if the ally has an Enkil-Cog-like ability to act in other
players' turns).

Salem

Feb 24, 2010, 6:57:18 AM2/24/10

wouldn't they return to the original player's controlled region at the
end of the turn, undoing the stealing?

"At the end of the turn, any allies that were placed in your
uncontrolled region (to indicate that they cannot act) are moved to

*your* ready region."

So the ally was placed in A's uncontrolled region. B steals it to B's
uncontrolled region. Then at the end of A's turn, the ally moves to A's
controlled region, as per the rules.

--
salem

Alf

Feb 24, 2010, 7:38:42 AM2/24/10

Actually no.
Check LSJ's post above.

Alf

LSJ

Feb 24, 2010, 8:03:05 AM2/24/10

He probably did, once I posted it. Check the timestamps.

LSJ

Feb 24, 2010, 8:15:22 AM2/24/10
On Feb 24, 6:57 am, Salem <kella...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> LSJ wrote:
> > Correct. That is: it is allowed to steal an ally that was recruited in
> > the current turn (who has not yet been moved to the ready region).
>
> > Note that the ally still remains in the (new controller's)
> > uncontrolled region, waiting to be moved to the (new controller's)
> > ready region at the end of the turn. That is, the ally still cannot
> > act (even if the ally has an Enkil-Cog-like ability to act in other
> > players' turns).
>
> wouldn't they return to the original player's controlled region at the
> end of the turn, undoing the stealing?

No. My response above is correct.

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad/msg/0db4765784dd154c

See also Set's Call. (Pretty useless at superior if the stolen ally
pops back at the end of the turn).

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad/msg/dd6dc642020fa2e3

> "At the end of the turn, any allies that were placed in your
> uncontrolled region (to indicate that they cannot act) are moved to
> *your* ready region."

> So the ally was placed in A's uncontrolled region. B steals it to B's
> uncontrolled region. Then at the end of A's turn, the ally moves to A's
> controlled region, as per the rules.

Perhaps. If it was in A's uncontrolled region. Which it is not.

The ones in A's uncontrolled region move to A's ready region.
The ones in B's uncontrolled region move to B's ready region.