Predator's communion after combat?

ira...@gmail.com

Nov 18, 2009, 6:50:43 PM11/18/09
Hello LSJ,

Can I play Predator's Communion at ABO after combat between an acting
vampire and my blocking vampire? I think the answer is yes, in the
same window as Cat's Guidance, since the acting vampire is still
considered acting after the combat ends (since it could play Freak
Drive, which requires an acting vampire.)

Thanks,
Ira

Name: Predator's Communion
[LoB:C]
Cardtype: Reaction
Discipline: Abombwe
[abo] [REFLEX] Cancel a frenzy card played on this vampire as it is
played.
[abo] +1 intercept. Only usable when a vampire is acting.
[ABO] Only usable by a tapped vampire when a vampire is acting. This
reacting vampire untaps.

LSJ

Nov 18, 2009, 6:56:05 PM11/18/09
ira...@gmail.com wrote:
> Hello LSJ,
>
> Can I play Predator's Communion at ABO after combat between an acting
> vampire and my blocking vampire? I think the answer is yes, in the
> same window as Cat's Guidance, since the acting vampire is still
> considered acting after the combat ends (since it could play Freak
> Drive, which requires an acting vampire.)

Yes.

floppyzedolfin

Nov 19, 2009, 7:40:23 AM11/19/09
On Nov 19, 12:56 am, LSJ <vtes...@white-wolf.com> wrote:
> ira...@gmail.com wrote:
> > Hello LSJ,
>
> > Can I play Predator's Communion at ABO after combat between an acting
> > vampire and my blocking vampire?  I think the answer is yes, in the
> > same window as Cat's Guidance, since the acting vampire is still
> > considered acting after the combat ends (since it could play Freak
> > Drive, which requires an acting vampire.)
>
> Yes.

Given this answer, can I use Babble to untap a minion after the
resolution of an action ? (in the Freak Drive window)

This link says I can't : http://groups.google.com/group/rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad/msg/3e09b91ddcbb7a61
, but I don't get the difference. None of those have the "usable post-
resolution" cardtext ("Only usable by a tapped vampire immediately
after he or she blocks" on Cats' Guidance)

Can I use the Underbridge Stray to untap a minion I control after the
resolution of a (D) action against me ? (in the Freak Drive window)

Thanks

==

Babble
Cardtype: Reaction
Discipline: Dementation
[dem] Give another ready minion +1 intercept.
[DEM] Tap this vampire to untap another ready minion. Not usable by a
blocking minion.

Underbridge Stray
Cardtype: Ally
Cost: 1 blood
Discipline: Animalism
Animal with 1 life. 0 strength, 0 bleed.
[ani] The Stray may burn 1 life to give a minion you control a press.
During a (D) action directed at you, you may burn the Stray to untap a
ready minion you control (not usable if the Stray is blocking).
[ANI] As above, but the Stray has 2 life and 1 strength.

LSJ

Nov 19, 2009, 8:00:41 AM11/19/09
floppyzedolfin wrote:
> On Nov 19, 12:56 am, LSJ <vtes...@white-wolf.com> wrote:
>> ira...@gmail.com wrote:
>>> Hello LSJ,
>>> Can I play Predator's Communion at ABO after combat between an acting
>>> vampire and my blocking vampire? I think the answer is yes, in the
>>> same window as Cat's Guidance, since the acting vampire is still
>>> considered acting after the combat ends (since it could play Freak
>>> Drive, which requires an acting vampire.)
>> Yes.
>>

> Given this answer, can I use Babble to untap a minion after the
> resolution of an action ? (in the Freak Drive window)
>
> This link says I can't : http://groups.google.com/group/rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad/msg/3e09b91ddcbb7a61
> , but I don't get the difference. None of those have the "usable post-
> resolution" cardtext ("Only usable by a tapped vampire immediately
> after he or she blocks" on Cats' Guidance)
>
> Can I use the Underbridge Stray to untap a minion I control after the
> resolution of a (D) action against me ? (in the Freak Drive window)

Quite right.

REVERSAL: Predator's Communion [ABO] is only usable before resolution.
(Like Babble and Underbridge Stray -- this also reverses a ruling I made at the
EC regarding Underbridge Stray).

Azel

Nov 20, 2009, 4:48:39 AM11/20/09
On Nov 19, 5:00 am, LSJ <vtes...@white-wolf.com> wrote:
> floppyzedolfin wrote:
> >> Yes.
>
> > Given this answer, can I use Babble to untap a minion after the
> > resolution of an action ? (in the Freak Drive window)
>
> > This link says I can't :http://groups.google.com/group/rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad/msg/3e09...

> > , but I don't get the difference. None of those have the "usable post-
> > resolution" cardtext ("Only usable by a tapped vampire immediately
> > after he or she blocks" on Cats' Guidance)
>
> > Can I use the Underbridge Stray to untap a minion I control after the
> > resolution of a (D) action against me ? (in the Freak Drive window)
>
> Quite right.
>
> REVERSAL: Predator's Communion [ABO] is only usable before resolution.
> (Like Babble and Underbridge Stray -- this also reverses a ruling I made at the
> EC regarding Underbridge Stray).

that doesn't make any sense. Underbridge Stray and Babble have direct
card text preventing such usage. relevant text isolated:

Babble

[DEM] Not usable by a blocking minion.

Underbridge Stray

[ani] (not usable if the Stray is blocking).

there's no ruling necessary with those examples, the card text is
clear. might as well stick with the original ruling for Predator's
Communion; it causes no valid contradiction with these offered counter
examples.

Pullen

Nov 20, 2009, 5:47:42 AM11/20/09
On Nov 19, 8:00 am, LSJ <vtes...@white-wolf.com> wrote:
> floppyzedolfin wrote:
> >> Yes.
>
> > Given this answer, can I use Babble to untap a minion after the
> > resolution of an action ? (in the Freak Drive window)
>
> > This link says I can't :http://groups.google.com/group/rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad/msg/3e09...

> > , but I don't get the difference. None of those have the "usable post-
> > resolution" cardtext ("Only usable by a tapped vampire immediately
> > after he or she blocks" on Cats' Guidance)
>
> > Can I use the Underbridge Stray to untap a minion I control after the
> > resolution of a (D) action against me ? (in the Freak Drive window)
>
> Quite right.
>
> REVERSAL: Predator's Communion [ABO] is only usable before resolution.
> (Like Babble and Underbridge Stray -- this also reverses a ruling I made at the
> EC regarding Underbridge Stray).

Really, I can see why the Stray doesn't work as their is no longer a
(D) action to triggers it's qualifying text, where as the other two
cards don't have such restrictions.

henrik

Nov 20, 2009, 5:48:08 AM11/20/09

Those just means the blocking minion can't use it to untap another
minion in the window after block is successful but before tapping and
entering combat, I think.

LSJ

Nov 20, 2009, 6:31:24 AM11/20/09

Neither text prevents such usage. Those texts only restrict blocking minions,
whereas the ruling restricts usage by all minions.

LSJ

Nov 20, 2009, 6:32:29 AM11/20/09

The action is still there (otherwise the question of playing any reaction or
action modifier is trivially "no"). And the action is still (D) or not -- that
hasn't changed.

Frederick Scott

Nov 20, 2009, 11:10:06 AM11/20/09

"LSJ" <vte...@white-wolf.com> wrote in message

The thing that's kind of bugging me about this is the original Babble ruling.
Why can't a reaction or action modifier card be played at this point? Is it
because the action has already resolved (hence we can say that it is successful
or unsuccessful at this point in order to know whether the NWC can be used)
and it's fair to say that, qualifying text absent, it's too late to play reactions
and action modifiers after the success of an action has been determined?

Fred

LSJ

Nov 20, 2009, 11:29:00 AM11/20/09

The original ruling stems from the ruling that reaction cards (and action
modifiers, for that matter) can be played only before action resolution by
default. Explicit card text is needed to be played during or after resolution.

Stone

Nov 23, 2009, 7:21:35 AM11/23/09

"LSJ" <vte...@white-wolf.com> a �crit dans le message de

> The original ruling stems from the ruling that reaction cards (and action
> modifiers, for that matter) can be played only before action resolution by
> default. Explicit card text is needed to be played during or after
resolution.

Can Wake-like cards (WWeF, Forced Awakening, On the Qui Vive etc.) be played
after resolution of an action, even though they don't have such explicit
card text ? For instance, since you can play Wake+Denial of Aphrodite's
Favor to cancel a Voter Captivation (the VC being played after resolution of
the action, same timing window as Freak Drive), I guess you should be able
to play just a Wake (for cycling purposes) after an action resolves ?

Stone

LSJ

Nov 23, 2009, 7:14:24 AM11/23/09
Yes.

ira...@gmail.com

Nov 23, 2009, 4:40:25 PM11/23/09
On Nov 23, 4:14 am, LSJ <vtes...@white-wolf.com> wrote:
> Stone wrote:
> > "LSJ" <vtes...@white-wolf.com> a écrit dans le message de

I now understand the rules around this point, which I greatly
appreciate. That's certainly a good first step.

Still, I find it inconsistent that there exist a special type of
reaction card (wakes) that allow blocking/reacting as if untapped,
which are playable in that window without explicit card text, yet
there are other very similar cards that allow actual untapping, which
are not playable in that window.

LSJ, would you consider adding more clear text or a special card type
to Wake cards, such as "Wake," which will make it easier to understand
for new players (and experienced players) which cards fall into this
special category? Currently that category is defined by the card text
"react or block as if untapped", which isn't obvious enough IMO.

Also, I realize this is a pretty minor point, but because wake cards
are in most decks, I find that it comes up a lot.

Thanks,
Ira

Daneel

Nov 29, 2009, 7:02:25 AM11/29/09
On Mon, 23 Nov 2009 13:40:25 -0800 (PST), ira...@gmail.com
<ira...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Nov 23, 4:14ï¿œam, LSJ <vtes...@white-wolf.com> wrote:
>> Stone wrote:

>> > "LSJ" <vtes...@white-wolf.com> a ï¿œcrit dans le message de
>>

>> Yes.
>
> I now understand the rules around this point, which I greatly
> appreciate. That's certainly a good first step.
>
> Still, I find it inconsistent that there exist a special type of
> reaction card (wakes) that allow blocking/reacting as if untapped,
> which are playable in that window without explicit card text, yet
> there are other very similar cards that allow actual untapping, which
> are not playable in that window.
>
> LSJ, would you consider adding more clear text or a special card type
> to Wake cards, such as "Wake," which will make it easier to understand
> for new players (and experienced players) which cards fall into this
> special category? Currently that category is defined by the card text
> "react or block as if untapped", which isn't obvious enough IMO.
>
> Also, I realize this is a pretty minor point, but because wake cards
> are in most decks, I find that it comes up a lot.

Definately more frequent than some of the recent key words e.g. Boons
or Electronic Equipment. Good idea.

--
Regards,

Daneel