[LSJ] Gehenna set card qns

salem

May 17, 2004, 5:12:28 AM5/17/04
Siphon:
If you only choose target(s) controlled by one methuselah (not you),
is it a directed action?

Neighbourhood Watch Commander:
If you can untap him after tapping him to inflict a damage (Babble
springs to mind), can you tap him again to inflict a 2nd damage? his
ability's text is sort of worded in the during x do y, except doesn't
use the word 'during'..

Neighborhood Watch Commander (Hunter).
Ally
2 blood.
Mortal with 1 life. 1 Strength. 0 bleed.
When an action taken by a vampire ends unsuccessfully, you
may tap this card at the end of that action to inflict 1 damage
on the acting vampire. Only 1 Neighborhood Watch Commander
may tap to inflict damage each action.

Becoming of Ennioa:
requires at least two gehenna events in play controlled by _other_
methuselahs. surely the 'other' is a misprint? it's somewhat wallpaper
with the 'other', unless you know everyone loves to play earthmeld
decks.

thanks,

salem
domain:canberra http://www.geocities.com/salem_christ.geo/vtes.htm
(replace "hotmail" with "yahoo" to email)

LSJ

May 17, 2004, 6:45:54 AM5/17/04
salem wrote:

> Siphon:
> If you only choose target(s) controlled by one methuselah (not you),
> is it a directed action?

Yes.

> Neighbourhood Watch Commander:
> If you can untap him after tapping him to inflict a damage (Babble
> springs to mind), can you tap him again to inflict a 2nd damage? his
> ability's text is sort of worded in the during x do y, except doesn't
> use the word 'during'..

Yes, but Babble won't do, since it isn't playable after the resolution of
the action.

> Neighborhood Watch Commander (Hunter).
> Ally
> 2 blood.
> Mortal with 1 life. 1 Strength. 0 bleed.
> When an action taken by a vampire ends unsuccessfully, you
> may tap this card at the end of that action to inflict 1 damage
> on the acting vampire. Only 1 Neighborhood Watch Commander
> may tap to inflict damage each action.
>
> Becoming of Ennioa:
> requires at least two gehenna events in play controlled by _other_
> methuselahs. surely the 'other' is a misprint? it's somewhat wallpaper
> with the 'other', unless you know everyone loves to play earthmeld
> decks.

No misprint.

http://www.white-wolf.com/vtes/

shawn stanley

May 17, 2004, 7:17:00 AM5/17/04
On Mon, 17 May 2004 10:45:54 GMT, LSJ <vte...@white-wolf.com> wrote:

>salem wrote:
>
>> Becoming of Ennioa:
>> requires at least two gehenna events in play controlled by _other_
>> methuselahs. surely the 'other' is a misprint? it's somewhat wallpaper
>> with the 'other', unless you know everyone loves to play earthmeld
>> decks.
>
>No misprint.

Is Becoming of Ennoia that good, compared to something like New
Inquisition?

Colin McGuigan

May 17, 2004, 9:04:28 AM5/17/04
Not a rules question, but...

How come Curmudgeon has the card text "you may tap this card to..."
rather than the "Once per turn" text that, eg, Creep Show has?

It's no big deal, but Corporal Reservoir has proven to really be an
annoyance when it comes to keeping track of the tapped/untapped status
of a card on a vampire...

--Colin McGuigan

UniqueMaster

May 17, 2004, 11:31:34 AM5/17/04

"Colin McGuigan" <magu...@BGONEspeakeasy.net> wrote in message

Probably to limit its benefit to once per "round" of play, similar to
Conniver. With current text, you basically can only use its ability once
before your next untap phase. And with a Malk OOT deck, Conniver's going to
see a lot of play.

--
Mike Ooi
"You have left the world. Click to continue."

Colin McGuigan

May 17, 2004, 1:04:36 PM5/17/04
UniqueMaster wrote:
> Probably to limit its benefit to once per "round" of play, similar to
> Conniver. With current text, you basically can only use its ability once
> before your next untap phase. And with a Malk OOT deck, Conniver's going to
> see a lot of play.

But Curmudgeon already states on its card text that it only applies
during your prey's turn ("During your prey's untap... If that
minion is blocked *this turn*...")

--Colin McGuigan

UniqueMaster

May 17, 2004, 1:50:38 PM5/17/04

"Colin McGuigan" <magu...@BGONEspeakeasy.net> wrote in message

Freak drive superior - minion takes another action. You don't get another
blood.

LSJ

May 17, 2004, 1:53:27 PM5/17/04
Colin McGuigan <magu...@BGONEspeakeasy.net> wrote:
> It's no big deal, but Corporal Reservoir has proven to really be an
> annoyance when it comes to keeping track of the tapped/untapped status
> of a card on a vampire...

Really?

We haven't had any difficulty with it. We just place it above the top
of the card or below the bottom and tap it independently, like any
other card.

Halcyan 2

May 17, 2004, 1:54:45 PM5/17/04
>> But Curmudgeon already states on its card text that it only applies
>> during your prey's turn ("During your prey's untap... If that
>> minion is blocked *this turn*...")
>
>Freak drive superior - minion takes another action. You don't get another
>blood.

Wouldn't it still be limited to "During X do Y"?

Halcyan 2

Halcyan 2

May 17, 2004, 2:03:43 PM5/17/04
>> It's no big deal, but Corporal Reservoir has proven to really be an
>> annoyance when it comes to keeping track of the tapped/untapped status
>> of a card on a vampire...
>
>Really?
>
>We haven't had any difficulty with it. We just place it above the top
>of the card or below the bottom and tap it independently, like any
>other card.

I suppose it might be problematic if you don't have much playing space. But
then again, retainers (with their life) and cards like the Seal (which has its
own counters) also fit into the same category. Also, last I checked, Deckbot
had some problems with tapping cards that were attached to other cards.

On the flipside, in the past, I've seen plenty of players "tap" their Hunting
Ground when using it, so some players might find tapping to be an intuitive
effect (in which case tapping for the Archetype is a *good* thing).

Halcyan 2

Colin McGuigan

May 17, 2004, 2:30:29 PM5/17/04
UniqueMaster wrote:
> Freak drive superior - minion takes another action. You don't get another
> blood.

Yes, but, back to the original post, why not just say, "Once per
turn..." as, eg, Creepshow does, instead of tapping the card?

--Colin McGuigan

Colin McGuigan

May 17, 2004, 2:33:56 PM5/17/04
LSJ wrote:
> Really?
>
> We haven't had any difficulty with it. We just place it above the top
> of the card or below the bottom and tap it independently, like any
> other card.

It's common (here in Chicago) to place a card "on a minion" underneath
that minion, and I've seen more than one player who has mistakenly done
this with their reservoirs.

As for keeping the cards seperate from the minion card, it starts
developing a space issue when you have 12+ reservoirs out. Also starts
the possibility that it could be mistakenly confused which reservoir
goes with which minion.

Not saying I have a better method for the reservoir, but I was curious
why the tapping mechanism was used on Curmudgeon.

--Colin McGuigan

Joshua Duffin

May 17, 2004, 2:44:24 PM5/17/04

"Halcyan 2" <halc...@aol.com> wrote in message

[Colin McGuigan wrote]

> >> But Curmudgeon already states on its card text that it only applies
> >> during your prey's turn ("During your prey's untap... If that
> >> minion is blocked *this turn*...")

[Mike Ooi wrote]

> >Freak drive superior - minion takes another action. You don't get
another
> >blood.
>
> Wouldn't it still be limited to "During X do Y"?

No, since the "gain blood" effect isn't written with the During X
template - it's the vampire-choosing part that is "During your prey's
untap phase, you may choose a minion controlled by your prey."

But I think Colin is still correct that the phrasing "Once this turn, if
that minion is blocked" would exactly echo the "tap" functionality of
the card. Except! If you could *untap* the Curmudgeon card during your
prey's turn somehow, *and* that chosen minion is blocked a second time
on the same turn, you can get a second blood by tapping Curmudgeon
again. Clearly this added functionality must have been the reason for
the use of the "tap" mechanic for this archetype. :-)

Josh

had a very antisocial group of vampires yesterday
(two curmudgeons, one loner)

UniqueMaster

May 17, 2004, 3:12:32 PM5/17/04
"Joshua Duffin" <duff...@bls.gov> wrote in message

If they're paying WotC for the use of the tap mechanic, might as well get
your money's worth.

Also adds to the # of cards that Remover can target!

UniqueMaster

May 17, 2004, 3:13:26 PM5/17/04

"Colin McGuigan" <magu...@BGONEspeakeasy.net> wrote in message

"Once per turn" is passive. It's boring.

"Tapping" is active. It's exciting and genitally stimulating.

Gregory Stuart Pettigrew

May 17, 2004, 3:46:56 PM5/17/04
> Yes, but, back to the original post, why not just say, "Once per
> turn..." as, eg, Creepshow does, instead of tapping the card?

Because sometimes you oust your prey during his turn. They wanted to limit
it to once per round.

Joshua Duffin

May 17, 2004, 5:03:25 PM5/17/04

"shawn stanley" <sta...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

New Inquisition has an inherent "call a vote to burn this card" action.
If I remember right, Becoming of Ennoia has no inherent method for
removal.

Josh

and it might make you become annoyed, indeed...

Colin McGuigan

May 17, 2004, 6:50:41 PM5/17/04
UniqueMaster wrote:
> "Once per turn" is passive. It's boring.
>
> "Tapping" is active. It's exciting and genitally stimulating.

At least one of the Gehenna packs I opened during the draft had its
cards all stuck together. I believe this answers why quite neatly.

--Colin McGuigan

Colin McGuigan

May 17, 2004, 6:52:06 PM5/17/04
Gregory Stuart Pettigrew wrote:
> Because sometimes you oust your prey during his turn. They wanted to limit
> it to once per round.

If I ousted my prey on his turn, then the named vampire would also be
ousted; as far as the choosing iself, the choosing during untap is
already limited by the "During X do Y" template.

--Colin McGuigan

Gregory Stuart Pettigrew

May 18, 2004, 12:43:20 AM5/18/04
> > Because sometimes you oust your prey during his turn. They wanted to limit
> > it to once per round.
>
> If I ousted my prey on his turn, then the named vampire would also be
> ousted; as far as the choosing iself, the choosing during untap is
> already limited by the "During X do Y" template.

Yes, and during your new prey's turn, you may choose a new minion
controlled by your new prey.

shawn stanley

May 18, 2004, 4:33:52 AM5/18/04
On Mon, 17 May 2004 17:03:25 -0400, "Joshua Duffin" <duff...@bls.gov>
wrote:

Becoming of Ennoia, they get to choose where to put the damage. New
Inquisition you get to choose where to put the damage - a significant
benefit. New Inquisition only takes 1 Gehenna card in play. If
Becoming of Ennoia took just 2 Gehenna cards in play instead of 2
controlled by other Methuselahs I would consider it to be a) unbroken
and b) playable

Colin McGuigan

May 18, 2004, 9:19:26 AM5/18/04
Gregory Stuart Pettigrew wrote:
> Yes, and during your new prey's turn, you may choose a new minion
> controlled by your new prey.

Hmmm. Conceded.

--Colin McGuigan

Joshua Duffin

May 18, 2004, 11:32:54 AM5/18/04

> On Mon, 17 May 2004 17:03:25 -0400, "Joshua Duffin" <duff...@bls.gov>
> wrote:
>
> >New Inquisition has an inherent "call a vote to burn this card"
action.
> >If I remember right, Becoming of Ennoia has no inherent method for
> >removal.
>
> Becoming of Ennoia, they get to choose where to put the damage. New
> Inquisition you get to choose where to put the damage - a significant
> benefit.

True, each turn, the active Meth gets to choose one of his or her prey's
vampires to damage with New Inquisition, whereas with Becoming of
Ennoia, each Meth chooses one of his or her *own* minions to damage
during his or her untap.

But either one of those effects is quite strong when it remains in play
for an extended period, because a point of damage on *every Methuselah's
turn* adds up to a lot of damage. Combined with, say, Torpid Blood,
they could hurt all the vampires on the table quite a bit.

> New Inquisition only takes 1 Gehenna card in play. If
> Becoming of Ennoia took just 2 Gehenna cards in play instead of 2
> controlled by other Methuselahs I would consider it to be a) unbroken
> and b) playable

But the combination of both of them at once increases the strength of
each effect - they have good synergy in damaging all the vampires in the
game. It makes sense to me that the one that can't be gotten rid of
would be harder to play (even if its damage-causing effect isn't quite
as nasty as the one that can be burned by a vote).

If you want to find out if it would indeed not be broken with just a "2
Gehenna cards in play" requirement, though, I recommend trying it out
that way with your group. See what happens. :-)

Josh

and feel free to use proxies too
;-)

salem

May 19, 2004, 5:41:25 AM5/19/04
On Tue, 18 May 2004 08:19:26 -0500, Colin McGuigan
<magu...@BGONEspeakeasy.net> scrawled:

>Gregory Stuart Pettigrew wrote:
>> Yes, and during your new prey's turn, you may choose a new minion
>> controlled by your new prey.
>
>Hmmm. Conceded.

yeah, it'd be so totally broken if you could do that.

salem
domain:canberra http://www.geocities.com/salem_christ.geo/vtes.htm
(replace "hotmail" with "yahoo" to email)

"I like to play the field"-LSJ

Snapcase

May 19, 2004, 9:16:40 PM5/19/04
In article <ceija0l1ef5udhkru...@4ax.com>, shawn stanley
says...

> Becoming of Ennoia, they get to choose where to put the damage. New
> Inquisition you get to choose where to put the damage - a significant
> benefit. New Inquisition only takes 1 Gehenna card in play. If
> Becoming of Ennoia took just 2 Gehenna cards in play instead of 2
> controlled by other Methuselahs I would consider it to be a) unbroken
> and b) playable

On the other hand, with NI, your predator chooses which of your vamps he
wants to nuke on his turn, while with BoE, you choose which of your
vamps takes the damage. There's also the fact that NI doesn't get
replaced until a titled vamp goes to torpor, while BoE gets replaced on
your next discard phase. Each card has its ups and downs. And for the
foreseeable future, there's going to be a lot of players putting Gehenna
cards into play (new set and all), so I don't anticipate BoE's
opportunity cost to be that bad.

--
-Snapcase