Undogdgable strikes and dodges

Blargleman

Aug 31, 2003, 6:12:11 AM8/31/03
Hi all,

This came up in a game today and I couldn't answer one way or another...

If the acting minion has a strike that cannot be dodged (say, from Shadow
Feint) can the other minion play a strike dodge anyway (thus attempting and
failing to dodge, and getting smacked about by the Assamite)?

If so, then if the strike is a "Strike: dodge + <something>" (say, Arms of
the Abyss), does the <something> (additional strike) happen, or is it
cancelled, since the strike failed?

I'm fairly sure that these questions would have come up before and one of
you fine people can help me out! :)

Cheers!

Blargleman

Aug 31, 2003, 6:14:21 AM8/31/03
Hmm,

I wonder if by unDOGdgable strike, I was somehow thinkin' of dem fun guys,
da wool-ufs?....

"Blargleman" <glen_r...@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message

Reyda

Aug 31, 2003, 6:36:36 AM8/31/03

"Blargleman" <glen_r...@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> This came up in a game today and I couldn't answer one way or another...
>
> If the acting minion has a strike that cannot be dodged (say, from Shadow
> Feint) can the other minion play a strike dodge anyway

Nope. "Cannot dodge" also means cannot play a 'strike : dodge' card, or use
a special ability like 'may burn one blood for a dodge' .

*Note that if the 'dodge cancelling' card is played after the dodge itself ,
the dodge is still played but for no effect -although other stuff on the
card count.
Ex : superior Vampiric speed versus Scorpion sting, the dodge from the
Vampiric speed has no effect but the "optional press" is still in effect.
(this should answer your other question)

James Coupe

Aug 31, 2003, 7:42:40 AM8/31/03
In message <3f51ce51$0$26820$79c1...@nan-newsreader-01.noos.net>, Reyda

<true_...@hotmail.com> writes:
>*Note that if the 'dodge cancelling' card is played after the dodge itself ,
>the dodge is still played but for no effect -although other stuff on the
>card count.

That should be something like:

if the Dodge cancelling card resolves after the Dodge is played

The order of playing Scorpion Sting (cannot be dodged) vs Dodge (or any
other Dodge strike) is not relevant. Scorpion Sting has not resolved,
so its text "Cannot be dodged" is not yet in force. When it *does*
resolve, it will still take effect, however, and Scorpion Sting will
take effect, despite the Dodge.

[LSJ 20010423]
http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=3B0A71F6%40MailAndNews.com

However, Shadow Feint has *already* resolved (because normal combat
cards, unlike strike cards, resolve when played), so its restriction is
in force.

I can't find an explicit ruling from LSJ on Shadow Feint on this[0], but
in general, if something cannot be done, you cannot attempt it. So
Shadow Feint should prevent Dodges being played.

[0] Most of them appear to be explaining how First Strike works.

--
James Coupe
PGP Key: 0x5D623D5D

Blargleman

Aug 31, 2003, 9:33:47 PM8/31/03
This is more in line with what I thought... if it hasn't resolved yet, it
cannot yet affect what you are doing (or attempting to do). It still isn't
an 'answer' as such (to a non-strike card 'cannot be dodged'). I assumed
that this question should have come up before. Perhaps it hasn't.

This also doesn't answer the second part: does the <something> that is part
of the dodge (that subsequently failed) + <something> still happen? There is
no rule in the book that I can see that says that a failed dodge attempt
cancels the card and its affects. Does Acrobatics (at sup) that gets hit by
a Scorpion Sting (for example) still have an additional strike? If not and
the card was 'cancelled' can I then play, say, a Blur?

LSJ? Might need your call on this one! :)

Cheers!

"James Coupe" <ja...@zephyr.org.uk> wrote in message

The Lasombra

Sep 1, 2003, 2:23:12 AM9/1/03
On Mon, 1 Sep 2003 11:33:47 +1000, "Blargleman"
<glen_r...@optusnet.com.au> wrote:

>This is more in line with what I thought... if it hasn't resolved yet, it
>cannot yet affect what you are doing (or attempting to do). It still isn't
>an 'answer' as such (to a non-strike card 'cannot be dodged'). I assumed
>that this question should have come up before. Perhaps it hasn't.

What question?

Common Usenet etiquette states that you respond beneath the portion of
the post to which you are replying. The first paragraph I read in
this message is yours, and what you wrote makes no sense unless I read
another page and a half of text.

Please follow common etiquette in the future and cease this top
posting.

>This also doesn't answer the second part: does the <something> that is part
>of the dodge (that subsequently failed) + <something> still happen?

Of course.

Strikes that cancel the dodge effect must explicitly state that they
are cancelling the other effect to do so. The additional strike still
happens if you use superior Arms of the Abyss and your opponent uses
superior Scorpion Sting.

>There is no rule in the book that I can see that says that a failed dodge attempt
>cancels the card and its affects.

Correct.

>Does Acrobatics (at sup) that gets hit by a Scorpion Sting (for example) still have an additional strike?

Absolutely.

>If not and the card was 'cancelled' can I then play, say, a Blur?

Moot.

>LSJ? Might need your call on this one! :)

He's in Atlanta, about 3 hours away from home, so will not see this
until Monday night.

In any case, he has already answered this question many times.

For example:

LSJ 2001-10-12
http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=3BC6C4E2.F4BC5CE2%40white-wolf.com

LSJ 2001-06-13
http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=3B280BDC.413BC0AE%40white-wolf.com

LSJ 2000-08-14
http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=8n8uvk%24u3i%241%40nnrp1.deja.com

Any time you have questions like this, you can find the answers
yourself in 2-3 minutes by following these steps:

1) Start here:
http://groups.google.com/groups?q=rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad

2) Type in the name of the card, a space, and then
author:vte...@white-wolf.com

3) Add a dot to Search only in rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad.

4) Click on Google Search.

5) When you get the results, click on Sort by date at the right to get
the most recent results at the top of the list.

Skim thru the results until you find the answers you need.

Carpe noctem.

Lasombra

http://www.TheLasombra.com

LSJ

Sep 2, 2003, 9:07:50 AM9/2/03
James Coupe wrote:
> However, Shadow Feint has *already* resolved (because normal combat
> cards, unlike strike cards, resolve when played), so its restriction is
> in force.
>
> I can't find an explicit ruling from LSJ on Shadow Feint on this[0], but
> in general, if something cannot be done, you cannot attempt it. So
> Shadow Feint should prevent Dodges being played.
>
> [0] Most of them appear to be explaining how First Strike works.

Shadow Feint doesn't prohibit the minion from choosing "dodge" as his
strike. It just notes that the strikes from the minion cannot be dodged.
That is, the dodge will not protect the dodging minion.

http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=3B0A71F6%40MailAndNews.com
http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=8n8uvk%24u3i%241%40nnrp1.deja.com

http://www.white-wolf.com/vtes/

LSJ

Sep 2, 2003, 9:10:04 AM9/2/03
The Lasombra wrote:
> Any time you have questions like this, you can find the answers
> yourself in 2-3 minutes by following these steps:
>
> 1) Start here:
> http://groups.google.com/groups?q=rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad
>
> 2) Type in the name of the card, a space, and then
> author:vte...@white-wolf.com

My fingers are lazy, so I just use "author:LSJ".

Also, for some multi-word card names, surrounding the card name in quotes
might help narrow the search.