Freak Drive vs Voter Cap

Izaak

May 6, 2007, 7:28:30 AM5/6/07
Came up in a game yesterday:

I complete a succesfull vote and play Freak Drive on the acting minion.
I replace the card and top-deck a Voter Captivation.
Can I still play it?

I tried a google search but found two contradicting answers; both dated 3+
years ago.

Blooded Sand

May 6, 2007, 8:39:32 AM5/6/07

Freak drive:
[for] Only usable at the end of a successful action (after resolving
the action). This vampire untaps.
[FOR] As above, but usable even if the action is blocked (play after
combat, if any).

Voter Cap:
Only usable after resolving a successful referendum.
[pre] The acting vampire gains X blood from the blood bank, where X is
the number of votes by which the referendum passed.
[PRE] As above, but move up to 2 of those blood counters to your pool
instead of this vampire.

Engh..... While FD says only usable after action resolution,
specifically stating after combat if any, VC only states after a
successful referendum. If you are going to be a complete text lawyer
about it, you could quite legitamately state that that means any time
after a successful referendum..... Which leaves you one hell of a lot
of leeway. IANSLJIAW but it seems to me that this could be taken to
mean that you would be able to play the VC, even though I have never
done so, and did not up till now think you could do that. LSJ? Please?

LSJ

May 6, 2007, 8:49:39 AM5/6/07
Izaak wrote:
> Came up in a game yesterday:
>
> I complete a succesfull vote and play Freak Drive on the acting minion.
> I replace the card and top-deck a Voter Captivation.
> Can I still play it?

Yes.

> I tried a google search but found two contradicting answers; both dated 3+
> years ago.

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad/msg/b91656a4dfe25b34

Azel

May 7, 2007, 6:25:47 AM5/7/07

k, just read that and now i'm confused again. Touch of Pain explicitly
sports the "after resolution," and Freak Drive sports the same albeit in
verb form "(after resolving the action)." but Voter Cap does not sport
either versions of this conceptual term.

it was just previously that you explained that the difference between
Follow the Blood and FA/Status was the distinct lack of "after
resolution" text on FA/Status. you said FA/Status was dependent on
"after combat" and thus not a window continuous to the end of the
action. you said this explicitly differs from what "after resolution"
apparently provides.

how does "after a successful referendum" w/o "after resolution" on Voter
Cap differ from this situation?

(your previous words for helpful reference)

"after action resolution" is all of the action from the time resolution
ends until the action is over.

"after a combat" means immediately after the combat.

thanks! :D

LSJ

May 7, 2007, 6:52:07 AM5/7/07
Azel wrote:
> LSJ wrote:
>> Izaak wrote:
>>> Came up in a game yesterday:
>>>
>>> I complete a succesfull vote and play Freak Drive on the acting minion.
>>> I replace the card and top-deck a Voter Captivation.
>>> Can I still play it?
>>
>> Yes.
>>
>>> I tried a google search but found two contradicting answers; both
>>> dated 3+ years ago.
>>
>> http://groups.google.com/group/rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad/msg/b91656a4dfe25b34
>>

> k, just read that and now i'm confused again. Touch of Pain explicitly
> sports the "after resolution," and Freak Drive sports the same albeit in
> verb form "(after resolving the action)." but Voter Cap does not sport
> either versions of this conceptual term.

?
VC sports "after resolving".

Azel

May 7, 2007, 11:56:29 PM5/7/07

AHA! i found it! Monger doesn't have that, unlike the official text on
WW website.
domo! :)