2010 looks like it's going to be even worse for Armstrong

Keith

Mar 7, 2010, 5:08:23 PM3/7/10
I know it's early in the season but all the GC contenders are already
doing better than LA, that can't bode well for the TdF, might be even
more painful to watch than Merckx's 1977 last TdF...

K. Fred Gauss

Mar 7, 2010, 5:10:49 PM3/7/10

Right. Rabon is going to KICK ASS in the Tour!

Mike Jacoubowsky

Mar 7, 2010, 5:34:06 PM3/7/10
"Keith" <nos...@nospam.com> wrote in message

>I know it's early in the season but all the GC contenders are already
> doing better than LA, that can't bode well for the TdF, might be even
> more painful to watch than Merckx's 1977 last TdF...

You're concerned for the TdF because so many of the contenders will have
flamed out before the big event?

I'd be more concerned with the state of the economy than how the ASO is
going to deal with Lance having it too easy. Besides, I don't think it
will happen. Some of the guys will be holding something back.

Nice to hear of your concern though.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

bar

Mar 7, 2010, 7:10:49 PM3/7/10

whatever. rest assured LANCE (and probably the rest of The Shack) will
be "ready" when July rolls around ...

Keith

Mar 7, 2010, 8:08:46 PM3/7/10
On Sun, 7 Mar 2010 16:10:49 -0800 (PST), bar <barba...@gmail.com>
wrote:

...right and LA will be lucky if he can manage a TOP 5 this year,
might even have to settle for a TOP 10...

Fred K. Gringioni

Mar 7, 2010, 8:39:51 PM3/7/10

> ...right and LA will be lucky if he can manage a TOP 5 this year,
> might even have to settle for a TOP 10...

Dumbass -

He probably won't win, but LANCE will be better than last year.

Last year he was coming off a 2 year layoff.

thanks,

Kurgan. presented by Gringioni.

Keith

Mar 8, 2010, 3:51:13 AM3/8/10
On Sun, 7 Mar 2010 17:39:51 -0800, "Fred K. Gringioni"
<kgrin...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>"Keith" <nos...@nospam.com> wrote in message
>>
>> ...right and LA will be lucky if he can manage a TOP 5 this year,
>> might even have to settle for a TOP 10...
>

>Dumbass -
>
>He probably won't win, but LANCE will be better than last year.

That's what Bruyneel has been spinning but there is no evidence of
that so far, in fact it looks like he's doing worse than last year.
Losing 30 seconds to Wiggins and Kloden on a 22km TT who are also
focusing on being ready for the TdF is rather worrying.

bjwe...@gmail.com

Mar 8, 2010, 5:26:42 AM3/8/10
On Mar 8, 1:51 am, Keith <nos...@nospam.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 7 Mar 2010 17:39:51 -0800, "Fred K. Gringioni"

Dude,

Several years ago there was a July Person in rbr who
spent a lot of effort trying to predict the Tour podium
from the prologue results. (Norm Tuttle, IIRC.)

But at least he was talking about the goddamned
Tour prologue. You're predicting Tour results from the
prologue of Paris-Fucking-Nice. It's March, for god's
sake.

Predicting that LANCE will not win the Tour is a good
prediction in any year. He's a year older, he isn't the
best in the race, and crucially, predicting that any given
rider will not win a particular mass start race is _always_
a good prediction. Even overwhelming favorites
generally have less than 50-50 odds, and LANCE isn't
an overwhelming favorite.

Plus, did I mention that it's March? Anything could happen.
A meteorite could strike Contador and Kloden simultaneously.
Wiggins could be distracted by the sight of Anorexic
Drew Carey wearing an argyle sweater and ride off
the road. At this time last year, LANCE had yet to
break his collarbone and recover.

So if you want to make a drama out of LA sucking in
his first race, go ahead, but seriously even a hack
sportswriter would be hard pressed to get a column's
worth of concerned analysis out of this.

Ben

Keith

Mar 8, 2010, 6:09:26 AM3/8/10
On Mon, 8 Mar 2010 02:26:42 -0800 (PST), "b...@mambo.ucolick.org"
<bjwe...@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Mar 8, 1:51ÔøΩam, Keith <nos...@nospam.com> wrote:
>> On Sun, 7 Mar 2010 17:39:51 -0800, "Fred K. Gringioni"
>>
>> <kgringi...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> >"Keith" <nos...@nospam.com> wrote in message

>> >Dumbass -
>>
>> >He probably won't win, but LANCE will be better than last year.
>>
>> That's what Bruyneel has been spinning but there is no evidence of
>> that so far, in fact it looks like he's doing worse than last year.
>> Losing 30 seconds to Wiggins and Kloden on a 22km TT who are also
>> focusing on being ready for the TdF is rather worrying.
>
>Dude,
>
>Several years ago there was a July Person in rbr who
>spent a lot of effort trying to predict the Tour podium
>from the prologue results. (Norm Tuttle, IIRC.)
>
>But at least he was talking about the goddamned
>Tour prologue. You're predicting Tour results from the
>prologue of Paris-Fucking-Nice. It's March, for god's
>sake.

You're an idiot, LA isn't taking part in Paris-Nice

Uncle Dave

Mar 8, 2010, 6:55:07 AM3/8/10

Who cares about the Tour in March FFS?! There are *real* races to
come before the media-hyped lamentably uncontested summer club runs.
Watch the Spring classics and forget about the Tour - it's for
corporations not bike fans and as for Armstrong, well, hoozee?

UD

Uncle Dave

Mar 8, 2010, 6:58:15 AM3/8/10
On Mar 8, 11:09 am, Keith <nos...@nospam.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 8 Mar 2010 02:26:42 -0800 (PST), "b...@mambo.ucolick.org"
>

> <bjwei...@gmail.com> wrote:

Oh, you've heard of it then? There's hope for you yet ;-)

UD

Fred Flintstein

Mar 8, 2010, 8:27:19 AM3/8/10
Keith wrote:
> You're an idiot, LA isn't taking part in Paris-Nice

No doubt he got him confused with Levi. To some of
us the second tier stage racers all look alike. Hell,
to some of us can't tell the training races in March
apart.

Fred Flintstein

Wilma Munro

Mar 8, 2010, 8:40:19 AM3/8/10
Fred Flintstein wrote:
> Hell,to some of us can't tell the training races in March
> apart.

Or city limit sprints from March training races.

Steve Freides

Mar 8, 2010, 8:41:41 AM3/8/10

Dumbass,

The days in which one's Spring will predict a TdF performance are over
and have been for some time. It's a demanding enough event, and an
important enough event, and the level of competition in all events
leading up to and including it is high enough that you have to peak for
Le Tour and nothing else if you really expect to have a chance to win
it.

I don't think the peleton has yet seen the likes of Lance's ability to
plan and execute. No one can say whether or not he'll be able to win,
but the last thing I'd expect is for him to try to win anything leading
up to the TdF except as a training race, a small peak on the way to the
larger peak of his training program leading up to July.

And, s#$%, it's just early March yet.

-S-

Fred Flintstein

Mar 8, 2010, 8:45:38 AM3/8/10
Keith wrote:
> That's what Bruyneel has been spinning but there is no evidence of
> that so far, in fact it looks like he's doing worse than last year.
> Losing 30 seconds to Wiggins and Kloden on a 22km TT who are also
> focusing on being ready for the TdF is rather worrying.

You know, some of us went on record pretty early that LANCE
wasn't even the best stage racer on his own team. I think
it's possible for that to be the case this year as well.
But the cool thing about losing Contador and keeping Levi
is that if it happens Mike Jacoubowsky is the only one
that'll notice.

In the meantime I've left a request with Jesus Fucking
Christ for a wake up call for the evening before Milan-San
Remo. I'd recommend sleeping in until then.

Fred Flintstein

Fred Flintstein

Mar 8, 2010, 8:49:31 AM3/8/10
Steve Freides wrote:
> No one can say whether or not he'll be able to win,

He isn't able to win, he hasn't been the best stage racer
for some time now.

Just trying to beat the rush.

Fred Flintstein

Fred Flintstein

Mar 8, 2010, 8:52:40 AM3/8/10

Those are easy to tell apart. People dope for city
limit sprints.

Fred Flintstein

Amit Ghosh

Mar 8, 2010, 9:35:44 AM3/8/10

dumbass,

last year he was the fourth best rider on his team, and this year he's
the third best - so he's already gotten better.

cur...@the-md-russells.org

Mar 8, 2010, 11:13:34 AM3/8/10

Yeah, but Contador has pushed his 50-50 chances in the Grand Tours
about as far as is mathematical possible. This year he's the Grand
Loser and its just mathematics. Nothing personal. Lance gets third
again.

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...

Steve Freides

Mar 8, 2010, 11:43:48 AM3/8/10

Fred, if no one can say, and you're saying ...

-S-

Fred K. Gringioni

Mar 8, 2010, 12:44:38 PM3/8/10

"Steve Freides" <st...@kbnj.com> wrote in message

Dumbass -

Why don't you remove the "i" from your last name?

Thanks,

Fred. presented by Gringioni.

Keith

Mar 8, 2010, 1:46:07 PM3/8/10

Good call, he is now officially shitting himself :
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/armstrong-may-add-sarthe-to-race-schedule?cid=OTC-RSS&amp;attr=news_headlines

"Worried would be too strong of a word. I'm aware of [my performance
in Murcia], but not too stressed" Armstrong told AP.

CN really have a twisted sense of humor as they then proceed to remind
the world that "The 38-year-old is looking to win his eighth Tour de
France this summer. In Murcia, he finished seventh overall, 1:23 down
on winner Frantisek Rabon (Team HTC - Columbia"

Steve Freides

Mar 8, 2010, 2:15:44 PM3/8/10

From that article:

"In Lance's case, he needs more competition. His physical fitness
overall is okay, but he just needs to get the speed and acceleration,"
said Bruyneel. "Looking at the Vuelta a Murcia in the past, he's
probably a bit ahead of what he was then."

Armstrong's additional race may be the Sarthe-Pays de la Loire from
April 6-9. It would be the second time he will have competed in the
event. He finished 25th overall in his previous participation, in 2001.

-S-

Wilma Munro

Mar 8, 2010, 2:41:14 PM3/8/10

Fred Flintstein wrote:
> Those are easy to tell apart. People dope for city
> limit sprints.

I swear on the immortal soul of my beloved Fido that I never doped for a
city limit sprint.

bjwe...@gmail.com

Mar 8, 2010, 4:17:06 PM3/8/10
On Mar 8, 4:09 am, Keith <nos...@nospam.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 8 Mar 2010 02:26:42 -0800 (PST), "b...@mambo.ucolick.org"
>
> >But at least he was talking about the goddamned
> >Tour prologue.  You're predicting Tour results from the
> >prologue of Paris-Fucking-Nice.  It's March, for god's
> >sake.
>
> You're an idiot, LA isn't taking part in Paris-Nice

Dumbass,

I'm an idiot for forgetting that LANCE was riding the
Vuelta a Murcia, not Paris-Nice. You're a dumbass
for caring which race LANCE is doing in March.
When's LANCE going to race De Ronde?

Ben

Keith

Mar 8, 2010, 7:10:25 PM3/8/10
On Mon, 8 Mar 2010 14:15:44 -0500, "Steve Freides" <st...@kbnj.com>
wrote:

>Keith wrote:
>> On Sun, 07 Mar 2010 23:08:23 +0100, Keith <nos...@nospam.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I know it's early in the season but all the GC contenders are already
>>> doing better than LA, that can't bode well for the TdF, might be even
>>> more painful to watch than Merckx's 1977 last TdF...
>>
>> Good call, he is now officially shitting himself :
>> http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/armstrong-may-add-sarthe-to-race-schedule?cid=OTC-RSS&amp;attr=news_headlines
>>
>> "Worried would be too strong of a word. I'm aware of [my performance
>> in Murcia], but not too stressed" Armstrong told AP.
>>
>> CN really have a twisted sense of humor as they then proceed to remind
>> the world that "The 38-year-old is looking to win his eighth Tour de
>> France this summer. In Murcia, he finished seventh overall, 1:23 down
>> on winner Frantisek Rabon (Team HTC - Columbia"
>
>From that article:
>
>"In Lance's case, he needs more competition. His physical fitness
>overall is okay, but he just needs to get the speed and acceleration,"
>said Bruyneel. "Looking at the Vuelta a Murcia in the past, he's
>probably a bit ahead of what he was then."

He's lying

ilan

Mar 8, 2010, 7:11:40 PM3/8/10
On Mar 7, 11:08 pm, Keith <nos...@nospam.com> wrote:
> I know it's early in the season but all the GC contenders are already
> doing better than LA, that can't bode well for the TdF, might be even
> more painful to watch than Merckx's 1977 last TdF...

Did you watch the 2008 Dauphine Libere ITT? Valverde and Evans were
kicking butt and destroyed the field, while Sastre was like 5 minutes
behind and didn't use a TT bike, he didn't even have aero bars, he was
probably 3 minutes behind Voeckler. Interesting viewing when followed
by watching the 3rd week of that year's TdF.

-ilan

Fred Flintstein

Mar 8, 2010, 10:44:41 PM3/8/10

Dumbass,

It's only March. July is a long way off. You are
peaking way too early.

Fred Flintstein

Fred K. Gringioni

Mar 9, 2010, 1:01:33 AM3/9/10

"b...@mambo.ucolick.org" <bjwe...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> Several years ago there was a July Person in rbr who
> spent a lot of effort trying to predict the Tour podium
> from the prologue results. (Norm Tuttle, IIRC.)

<snip>

Dumbass -

I went back and read that thread. Funny stuff. Tuttle claimed that EPO
wouldn't help in the prologue.

I'm not sure who's smarter, Keith or Tuttle. What do you think?

thanks,

Fred. presented by Gringioni.

Wilma Munro

Mar 9, 2010, 3:40:57 AM3/9/10
Fred Flintstein wrote:
> It's only March. July is a long way off. You are
> peaking way too early.

He's peaking for the training races. Didn't Julich do that a few years ago ?

Keith

Mar 9, 2010, 4:40:44 AM3/9/10
On Mon, 08 Mar 2010 21:44:41 -0600, Fred Flintstein
<bob.sc...@sbcREMOVEglobal.net> wrote:

>> He's lying

>Dumbass,
>
>It's only March. July is a long way off. You are
>peaking way too early.

A champ is a champ, losing 30+ seconds to Wiggins, Kloden or Menchov
on a 22km ITT is bad, whatever way you look at it, especially since
these guys are also planning to peak in July.

I think we're looking at LA emabarassing himself badly this year. He
got lucky last year (Kloden would have been on the podium if AC hadn't
attacked the group on the Croix de Fer) and there was the novelty of
seeing him back on the road. This year that novelty has worn off. He
should only have raced one year for his return.

Fred K. Gringioni

Mar 9, 2010, 6:14:45 AM3/9/10

>>It's only March. July is a long way off. You are
>>peaking way too early.
>
> A champ is a champ, losing 30+ seconds to Wiggins, Kloden or Menchov
> on a 22km ITT is bad, whatever way you look at it, especially since
> these guys are also planning to peak in July.

<snip>

Dumbass -

You don't know what you're talking about.

Everyone's done it this way for the last 20 years, ever since LemonD
pioneered the peaking-only-for-the-Tour method. There are a few exceptions -
Indurain winning the Giro and the Tour for instance, but even he wasn't able
to sustain that and eventually concentrated only on the Tour. Pantani did it
in 1998 using an incredibly large amount of drugs, running a 60% hematocrit.

When they first started doing that peaking thing, I, as a fan of
professional bicycle racing, was annoyed. None of them contested the spring
classics anymore! They were nothing like Merckx and Hinault, racers who won
monuments and Grand Tours in the same year.

I've since changed my opinion. If a racer doesn't specialize in today's
racing, he can't win.

BTW, not only is it only March, but the real season hasn't even begun.
Milan-San Remo has yet to run. You seriously have your head up your ass.

cur...@the-md-russells.org

Mar 9, 2010, 8:10:41 AM3/9/10
On Tue, 09 Mar 2010 01:10:25 +0100, Keith <nos...@nospam.com> wrote:

>>From that article:
>>
>>"In Lance's case, he needs more competition. His physical fitness
>>overall is okay, but he just needs to get the speed and acceleration,"
>>said Bruyneel. "Looking at the Vuelta a Murcia in the past, he's
>>probably a bit ahead of what he was then."
>
>He's lying

Geez. We're talking Bruyneel speak here. Which means that unless he is
saying something other than expected, its pretty much as close to the
truth as it will be. All of the DS's do it, but only Bruyneel does it
so effortlessly, we try to actually pin it back to reality. When
others do it, we already know they are so divorced from reality that
we just chalk it up to being delusional. For references, see anything
related to TD and any DS.

Steve Freides

Mar 9, 2010, 8:19:26 AM3/9/10
Fred K. Gringioni wrote:
> "Keith" <nos...@nospam.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> It's only March. July is a long way off. You are
>>> peaking way too early.
>>
>> A champ is a champ, losing 30+ seconds to Wiggins, Kloden or Menchov
>> on a 22km ITT is bad, whatever way you look at it, especially since
>> these guys are also planning to peak in July.
>
> <snip>
>

> Dumbass -
>
> You don't know what you're talking about.

+1

A chump would worry about losing 30+ seconds to Wiggins, et al, in
March, Khumpth.

-S-

Keith

Mar 9, 2010, 12:33:55 PM3/9/10
On Tue, 9 Mar 2010 03:14:45 -0800, "Fred K. Gringioni"
<kgrin...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>"Keith" <nos...@nospam.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>>It's only March. July is a long way off. You are
>>>peaking way too early.
>>
>> A champ is a champ, losing 30+ seconds to Wiggins, Kloden or Menchov
>> on a 22km ITT is bad, whatever way you look at it, especially since
>> these guys are also planning to peak in July.
>
><snip>
>

>Dumbass -
>
>You don't know what you're talking about.
>
>Everyone's done it this way for the last 20 years, ever since LemonD
>pioneered the peaking-only-for-the-Tour method. There are a few exceptions -
>Indurain winning the Giro and the Tour for instance, but even he wasn't able
>to sustain that and eventually concentrated only on the Tour. Pantani did it
>in 1998 using an incredibly large amount of drugs, running a 60% hematocrit.
>
>When they first started doing that peaking thing

You're an idiot, who said he had to peak in March, the simple fact is
that he lost more than 1s/km to Menchov, Wiggins and Kloden, who
clearly did not program their season to peak at the Tour de Murcia. If
he were still up to it he would have done as well as these guys during
the ITT. Heck, even Lemond did well in the 1989 Giro ITT after a
disastrous three weeks, which worried Guimard in fact and he was
right.

Fred K. Gringioni

Mar 9, 2010, 12:57:20 PM3/9/10

>>You don't know what you're talking about.
>>
>>Everyone's done it this way for the last 20 years, ever since LemonD
>>pioneered the peaking-only-for-the-Tour method. There are a few
>>exceptions -
>>Indurain winning the Giro and the Tour for instance, but even he wasn't
>>able
>>to sustain that and eventually concentrated only on the Tour. Pantani did
>>it
>>in 1998 using an incredibly large amount of drugs, running a 60%
>>hematocrit.
>>
>>When they first started doing that peaking thing
>
> You're an idiot, who said he had to peak in March, the simple fact is
> that he lost more than 1s/km to Menchov, Wiggins and Kloden, who
> clearly did not program their season to peak at the Tour de Murcia. If
> he were still up to it he would have done as well as these guys during
> the ITT. Heck, even Lemond did well in the 1989 Giro ITT after a
> disastrous three weeks, which worried Guimard in fact and he was
> right.

Dumbass -

The Giro isn't in March. That TT was at the end of May.

Even then, it doesn't mean jack. Iban Mayo kicked the shit out of LANCE and
everyone else in the Dauphine (TdF warmup) and he cracked at the Tour.

For the TdF contenders, all of these warmup races mean nothing and the ones
in early March are especially meaningless.

Keith

Mar 9, 2010, 2:27:51 PM3/9/10
On Tue, 9 Mar 2010 09:57:20 -0800, "Fred K. Gringioni"
<kgrin...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>For the TdF contenders, all of these warmup races mean nothing and the ones
>in early March are especially meaningless.

Damn, you're such a star, someone should tell these guys you know
something they don't.

Fred Gringioni

Mar 9, 2010, 2:48:31 PM3/9/10

: On Tue, 9 Mar 2010 09:57:20 -0800, "Fred K. Gringioni"

Dumbass -

The TdF GC contenders are just training. If you could ask them, that's what
they'd tell you.

Have you ever raced before? If so, you'll know that doing group rides is the
easiest way to get interval training. Psychologically, doing intervals by
oneself is painfully difficult over time. What the TdF contenders are doing
is the equivalent of a group ride to one of us Freds.

They'll go hard, but not too hard. None of them will go deep. They don't
want to take the risk and have the body decide to peak in April.

thanks,

Kurgan. presented by Gringioni.

Tom Kunich

Mar 9, 2010, 3:18:12 PM3/9/10
"Keith" <nos...@nospam.com> wrote in message

> You're an idiot, who said he had to peak in March, the simple fact is
> that he lost more than 1s/km to Menchov, Wiggins and Kloden, who
> clearly did not program their season to peak at the Tour de Murcia. If
> he were still up to it he would have done as well as these guys during
> the ITT. Heck, even Lemond did well in the 1989 Giro ITT after a
> disastrous three weeks, which worried Guimard in fact and he was
> right.

Keith - how do you know he just isn't feeling well? Let's see how he does
over a couple of races before deciding whether or not he should be riding.

cur...@the-md-russells.org

Mar 9, 2010, 4:14:18 PM3/9/10
On Tue, 09 Mar 2010 20:27:51 +0100, Keith <nos...@nospam.com> wrote:

>Damn, you're such a star, someone should tell these guys you know
>something they don't.

Well, actually its that we know that we don't know and know that more
than half of the DS's will lie about early season targets that keeps
us from taking early season results serious, unless someone on rbr has
a guy newly promoted that has to have early results to get selections
(fanboys of newbies - a pitiful breed). LA made the selection the same
time he made the team (in LA's case, of course, 'made the team' has
two meanings), so unless you are in either Bruyneel's head or Lance's
head, you (and I) have no idea of the significance of anything.

For all I know, Lance is just out there fine tuning reading and
reacting and doesn't give piss about his current conditioning (not
giving piss, of course, par for the course for LA). Reading what's
happening on the course and reacting, rather than strength, is
probably his signifiicant edge anyway.

Now back to the ACC tournament betting. I'm giving last year's
national champion and 5 points - how can you turn that down?

K. Fred Gauss

Mar 9, 2010, 6:47:33 PM3/9/10

Damn. Read the thread. How many people agree with Fred? Everyone but
you. You're the only one that's extrapolating March results to July.
Everyone else knows that's crap. Fred doesn't have to persuade anyone;
they already agree with him.

Keith

Mar 9, 2010, 7:58:55 PM3/9/10

Which doesn't mean he's right, anyone with a brain knows that LA would
have loved to trash the other GC contenders during that ITT in Murcia,
oh well, I'll leave you with Neil Innes' most famous song, yes, you
can Google hum since you probably don't know who he is, at least you
will have learnt something today.

Steve Freides

Mar 9, 2010, 8:40:18 PM3/9/10

Keith, please tell us of your bicycling experience. It obvious you are
completely and totally without a clue when it comes to the season-long
planning of someone like Lance Armstrong. How about if you do your
homework and read about his training during his seven TdF victories
before making pronouncements here? He's doing just what he's always
done, which is put less focus on the rest of his season and more focus
on the TdF than anyone else in the peleton.

-S-

Fred

Mar 9, 2010, 8:47:06 PM3/9/10

Not only that, but that sneaky SOB has been known to sandbag a bit.
For 11 months of the year, he's like a cat 5 Fred in the ProTour
peleton.

Fred pb "Gotcha, sucka!"

heather

Mar 9, 2010, 10:07:12 PM3/9/10
Steve Freides wrote:

> Keith, please tell us of your bicycling experience. It obvious you are
> completely and totally without a clue when it comes to the season-long
> planning of someone like Lance Armstrong. How about if you do your
> homework and read about his training during his seven TdF victories
> before making pronouncements here? He's doing just what he's always
> done, which is put less focus on the rest of his season and more focus
> on the TdF than anyone else in the peleton.

No matter how useful or helpful or interesting rbr's replies, it's my
belief that Keith enjoys bashing LANCE enough to seek out occasions to
do so, and they are wasted on him. But hey, I could be wrong, and am not
trying to actually discourage people from writing to him, I'm just
sayin' (thank you howard for the "I'm just sayin' meme :)

H. Fred Kveck

Mar 9, 2010, 11:50:48 PM3/9/10

I'm blaming that "meme" on someone else. Anayway, Keith does truly enjoy bashing
LANCE but a guy has to know when a real opportunity to do so has arisen - this isn't
it, unfortunately.

K. Fred Gauss

Mar 9, 2010, 11:49:17 PM3/9/10

Shorter version:

Keith is the new Brian Lafferty.

P.S.: How come Howard gets his own meme?

Fred K. Gringioni

Mar 10, 2010, 2:13:35 AM3/10/10

"Tom Kunich" <tku...@earthlink.net> wrote in message

Dumbass -

You're just as dumb as Keith.

Racers who are planning for the TdF GC don't go deep in March (or April or
May and maybe not even June).

Wilma Munro

Mar 10, 2010, 7:46:20 AM3/10/10
K. Fred Gauss wrote:
> Shorter version:
> Keith is the new Brian Lafferty.

So he's a clone of a Lafferty I branch while Lafferty II is new code ? I
think we need a source code control system to keep track of the branches
(git perhaps, to suit rbr).

Fred Flintstein

Mar 10, 2010, 10:57:24 AM3/10/10
heather wrote:
> No matter how useful or helpful or interesting rbr's replies, it's my
> belief that Keith enjoys bashing LANCE enough to seek out occasions to
> do so, and they are wasted on him. But hey, I could be wrong, and am not
> trying to actually discourage people from writing to him, I'm just
> sayin' (thank you howard for the "I'm just sayin' meme :)

You're not wrong. When someone is a saddle sore for an extended
period of time in the face of constant abuse it is because they
get something they need from the exchange. That's why it is a
waste of time to develop well thought out responses in these
cases.

Many times the abusive responder gets something out of the
exchange as well. So it all works out. As any dumbass could
plainly see.

Fred Flintstein

Keith

Mar 10, 2010, 11:10:37 AM3/10/10
On Tue, 9 Mar 2010 20:40:18 -0500, "Steve Freides" <st...@kbnj.com>
wrote:

>> Which doesn't mean he's right, anyone with a brain knows that LA would
>> have loved to trash the other GC contenders during that ITT in Murcia,
>> oh well, I'll leave you with Neil Innes' most famous song, yes, you
>> can Google hum since you probably don't know who he is, at least you
>> will have learnt something today.
>
>Keith, please tell us of your bicycling experience. It obvious you are
>completely and totally without a clue when it comes to the season-long
>planning of someone like Lance Armstrong. How about if you do your
>homework and read about his training during his seven TdF victories
>before making pronouncements here? He's doing just what he's always
>done, which is put less focus on the rest of his season and more focus
>on the TdF than anyone else in the peleton.

Let's see, if you had read the original message you'd have figured out
I've been following the TdF and cycling since 1977, i.e Merckx's
pathetic last TdF.

I somehow doubt that any of the LA fanboys here even knew that the TdF
existed at that time, but that's ok, you've got to get started at some
point in time.

The problem is when you deny the obvious, even LA realized that his
performance in Murcia showed he was in trouble, now if that's not good
enough for you, you should just go back to Wikipedia and read about
cycling instead of wasting my time.

Scott

Mar 10, 2010, 11:12:44 AM3/10/10
On Mar 10, 8:57 am, Fred Flintstein <bob.schwa...@sbcREMOVEglobal.net>
wrote:

My hunch is that the 'saddle sore'-types either don't recognize that
they're being abused, or perhaps they keep trudging along in the hope
that one day they'll get something right or that what they say will be
recognized for the brilliance they themselves have recognized all
along.

I'm just saying.

Scott

Mar 10, 2010, 11:15:34 AM3/10/10

I think "trouble" is too strong a term to describe how Armstrong felt
about his performance. He recognized he's not quite where he wants to
be and will make a few modifications to his program in the coming
months.

Besides, I think he's just trying to lull his competitors into a false
sense of security with his comments.

K. Fred Gauss

Mar 10, 2010, 11:25:59 AM3/10/10
Wilma Munro wrote:
> K. Fred Gauss wrote:
> > Shorter version:
>> Keith is the new Brian Lafferty.
>
> So he's a clone of a Lafferty I branch while Lafferty II is new code ?

Lafferty II requires intensive analysis.

heather

Mar 10, 2010, 11:34:33 AM3/10/10
Fred Flintstein wrote:

> You're not wrong. When someone is a saddle sore for an extended
> period of time in the face of constant abuse it is because they
> get something they need from the exchange. That's why it is a
> waste of time to develop well thought out responses in these
> cases.
>
> Many times the abusive responder gets something out of the
> exchange as well. So it all works out. As any dumbass could
> plainly see.

oops, I"m sorry, I didn't realize that all of this was already
comprehended by rbr, although if I would just think for a moment like
any dumbass, it should have been plain to me too. I was mostly trying to
help, so don't be too hard on me, Fred (in your thoughts I mean, what
you write is always reasonable)

heather

Mar 10, 2010, 11:42:57 AM3/10/10
H. Fred Kveck wrote:

> I'm blaming that "meme" on someone else.

I love "I'm just sayin'", I always smile now when I see it. (ok, I guess
if you wrote "heather is a big poopy-head. I'm just sayin'", I wouldn't
smile then.) I won't call it yours if you don't want me to though.

Tom Kunich

Mar 10, 2010, 11:49:45 AM3/10/10

> Let's see, if you had read the original message you'd have figured out
> I've been following the TdF and cycling since 1977, i.e Merckx's
> pathetic last TdF.

If you've been a fan all that time why are you acting as if the riders are
supposed to somehow be public figures instead of athletes? Let's remember
that Eddy Merckx isn't Armstrong and visa versa. They both have their own
personalities and the fact is that neither is perfect though apparently you
prefer one over the other.

> I somehow doubt that any of the LA fanboys here even knew that the TdF
> existed at that time, but that's ok, you've got to get started at some
> point in time.

Yes, I was racing motorcycles at that time and was a member of the board of
directors of the American Federation of Motorcyclists. My interests have
changed over the years. Do you find that odd?

> The problem is when you deny the obvious, even LA realized that his
> performance in Murcia showed he was in trouble, now if that's not good
> enough for you, you should just go back to Wikipedia and read about
> cycling instead of wasting my time.

Armstrong is just getting back into racing. Of course what he recalls of the
apparent ease with which he won then with how difficult it is now is going
to be something he'll have to deal with.

Keith, it is apparent that you're a real fan of bicycle racing. Please
remember that includes everyone else that are fans or riders or mechanics
etc.

Fred K. Gringioni

Mar 10, 2010, 12:33:14 PM3/10/10

"Keith" <nos...@nospam.com> wrote in message

> Let's see, if you had read the original message you'd have figured out
> I've been following the TdF and cycling since 1977, i.e Merckx's
> pathetic last TdF.

<snip>

Dumbass -

That fact tells us that you are unable to process the data which you've read
in those thirty years in a fashion that meshes with reality.

I got a question for you: have you ever raced for a full season?

cur...@the-md-russells.org

Mar 10, 2010, 12:40:23 PM3/10/10
On Wed, 10 Mar 2010 17:10:37 +0100, Keith <nos...@nospam.com> wrote:

>Let's see, if you had read the original message you'd have figured out
>I've been following the TdF and cycling since 1977, i.e Merckx's
>pathetic last TdF.

Late to the parade. I have the Brit mags going back to his early days
and earlier. Long enough to be a fan of Guimard, the racer. Been
following since Anquetil. Guess what? Over time, it only shows me what
I didn't know about back then and gives me an idea of what I am only
guessing about right now. The writing quality is lower, the hypocrisy
is higher and the drugs of choice have changed. Every thing else is
opinion until the results (race, drug) are published...

Uncle Dave

Mar 10, 2010, 12:43:23 PM3/10/10

Yup, the other contenders for 10th place are probably counting their
chickens right now. He's finished as a contender in the Tour FFS,
what is the matter with you guys? It's over. It was fun while it
lasted, well, pretty boring for the rest of us but then that's the
modern Tour, let it go. Why the guy continues beats me, is he a
masochist do you suppose?

UD

Fred Flintstein

Mar 10, 2010, 12:56:03 PM3/10/10
Keith wrote:
> Let's see, if you had read the original message you'd have figured out
> I've been following the TdF and cycling since 1977, i.e Merckx's
> pathetic last TdF.

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.bicycles.racing/msg/d2769863276d03ab

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning%E2%80%93Kruger_effect

Fred Flintstein

Scott

Mar 10, 2010, 2:11:27 PM3/10/10
On Mar 10, 10:56 am, Fred Flintstein

Or, as so eloquently stated, "When a true genius appears in the world,
you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy
against him." Jonathon Swift

If you haven't read "A Confederacy of Dunces", I recommend it. There
are just so many characters on rbr who could've served as the model
for Ignatius.

S.

Steve Freides

Mar 10, 2010, 5:16:21 PM3/10/10

Lance's focus only on the TdF was one of the biggest changes in the
sport, IMHO. I'm not aware that anyone put all their eggs in one basket
like that before Lance first did it.

-S-

Tom Kunich

Mar 10, 2010, 5:48:03 PM3/10/10
<cur...@the-md-russells.org> wrote in message

> The writing quality is lower, the hypocrisy
> is higher and the drugs of choice have changed. Every thing else is
> opinion until the results (race, drug) are published...

Thanks for that information with which I completely agree Curtiss.

Keith

Mar 10, 2010, 7:23:24 PM3/10/10
On Wed, 10 Mar 2010 09:43:23 -0800 (PST), Uncle Dave
<david...@t-online.de> wrote:

>> > Let's see, if you had read the original message you'd have figured out
>> > I've been following the TdF and cycling since 1977, i.e Merckx's
>> > pathetic last TdF.
>>
>> > I somehow doubt that any of the LA fanboys here even knew that the TdF
>> > existed at that time, but that's ok, you've got to get started at some
>> > point in time.
>>
>> > The problem is when you deny the obvious, even LA realized that his
>> > performance in Murcia showed he was in trouble, now if that's not good
>> > enough for you, you should just go back to Wikipedia and read about
>> > cycling instead of wasting my time.
>>
>> I think "trouble" is too strong a term to describe how Armstrong felt

>> about his performance. ÔøΩHe recognized he's not quite where he wants to

>> be and will make a few modifications to his program in the coming
>> months.
>>
>> Besides, I think he's just trying to lull his competitors into a false
>> sense of security with his comments.
>
>Yup, the other contenders for 10th place are probably counting their
>chickens right now. He's finished as a contender in the Tour FFS,
>what is the matter with you guys? It's over. It was fun while it
>lasted, well, pretty boring for the rest of us but then that's the
>modern Tour, let it go. Why the guy continues beats me, is he a
>masochist do you suppose?

Yes, one year would clearly have been enough, it was fun while it
lasted. Now he should focus on the next gubernatorial elections in
Texas.

Fred K. Gringioni

Mar 10, 2010, 7:34:21 PM3/10/10

> Lance's focus only on the TdF was one of the biggest changes in the sport,
> IMHO. I'm not aware that anyone put all their eggs in one basket like
> that before Lance first did it.

Dumbass -

LemonD started it.

Midway through his win streak, Indurain did the same.

Riis did it and Ullrich most definitely did it (his first win was 2 years
before LANCE's).

H. Fred Kveck

Mar 10, 2010, 9:41:04 PM3/10/10

Well, I really don't recall where that line came from. I know I didn't create it
but I've been saying it for years. In other words, it doesn't really matter whose
"meme" it is. I blamed someone else for it, not because I'm defensive but because it
wasn't mine.

And I doubt I'd have reason to call you a big poopy-head. Unless you want me to,
of course.

Uncle Dave

Mar 11, 2010, 3:40:52 AM3/11/10
On Mar 11, 12:23 am, Keith <nos...@nospam.com> wrote:

<snip>

> Yes, one year would clearly have been enough, it was fun while it
> lasted. Now he should focus on the next gubernatorial elections in
> Texas.

Ah, that's why he needs the momey. Surely Dubya will lend him some
now he owns half of Iraq?

UD

cur...@the-md-russells.org

Mar 11, 2010, 8:14:41 AM3/11/10
On Wed, 10 Mar 2010 17:16:21 -0500, "Steve Freides" <st...@kbnj.com>
wrote:

>Lance's focus only on the TdF was one of the biggest changes in the

>sport, IMHO. I'm not aware that anyone put all their eggs in one basket
>like that before Lance first did it.

For sure there were other changes, especially in communication, which
I am do not care for. Especially when you see it filter down to people
who are given earphones only so that their cat 4 coach can tell them
when to get the hell out of the way of the real racers so they don't
embarrass themselves.

OK, maybe there is a purpose for earphones afterall.

cur...@the-md-russells.org

Mar 11, 2010, 8:15:49 AM3/11/10

Miss some of the writers, which I had to wait as much as a month for.
Fortunately, I still have their books.

cur...@the-md-russells.org

Mar 11, 2010, 8:20:12 AM3/11/10
On Wed, 10 Mar 2010 11:11:27 -0800 (PST), Scott
<hendric...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Or, as so eloquently stated, "When a true genius appears in the world,
>you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy
>against him." Jonathon Swift
>
>If you haven't read "A Confederacy of Dunces", I recommend it. There
>are just so many characters on rbr who could've served as the model
>for Ignatius.

When I completely understand Cryptonomicon, I'll look it up.

Brad Anders

Mar 11, 2010, 9:56:53 AM3/11/10
On Mar 7, 3:08 pm, Keith <nos...@nospam.com> wrote:
> I know it's early in the season but all the GC contenders are already
> doing better than LA, that can't bode well for the TdF, might be even
> more painful to watch than Merckx's 1977 last TdF...

Aren't you the same guy who said that LA was going to embarrass
himself in the Tour last year?

Brad Anders

Tom Kunich

Mar 11, 2010, 10:29:47 AM3/11/10
"Brad Anders" <pban...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Yeah, and he isn't stupid. I wonder what all the highly negative stuff is
all about. Hope it doesn't mean he's having personal problems.

K. Fred Gauss

Mar 11, 2010, 8:07:29 PM3/11/10

I'm confused. How could Ullrich have won the TdF 2 years before Lance?
How could Ullrich have focussed on the TdF before Lance? These things
are not possible, since Lance invented the TdF.