all things poseur

Cicero Venatio

Feb 10, 2010, 7:42:33 AM2/10/10
Looking at the definitions of a "Fred" and a "poseur" and it is hard for
me to see how you are either one or the other. What would you call
someone that is neither, and how would define what must be a very skinny
area in between the two?

On the surface it seems that cycling etiquette is the most fascist I
have ever encountered.

Bob Schwartz

Feb 10, 2010, 10:21:23 AM2/10/10
Cicero Venatio wrote:
> On the surface it seems that cycling etiquette is the most fascist I
> have ever encountered.

Dumbass,

Check out Sandy's thread if you want tips on how
to troll.

Bob Schwartz

cur...@the-md-russells.org

Feb 10, 2010, 1:51:53 PM2/10/10
On Wed, 10 Feb 2010 05:42:33 -0700, Cicero Venatio
<jazz...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>On the surface it seems that cycling etiquette is the most fascist I
>have ever encountered.

Cycling etiquette boils down to 1) hold your line and 2) don't tap
your brakes when it is stupid and uncalled for especially 3) going up
a really steep climb. There is a corollary to 1) that involves blowing
your nose in a pack. Otherwise, until you're pro and need the LANCE
guide to Omerta, that should do you.

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...

Steve Freides

Feb 10, 2010, 5:27:09 PM2/10/10

When I think of a cycling Fred, I don't include pretensions - a poseur
is, by definition, trying to be something he's not. The useage of Fred
has varied widely - I go for the old-fashioned version, the guy who
commutes to work three miles each way and then rides his commuter bike
in the Saturday morning hammerfest - or something along those lines.
IOW, a Fred is an amateur and a poseur is a wanna-be pro.

-S-

Kurgan Gringioni

Feb 10, 2010, 5:36:27 PM2/10/10

"Steve Freides" <st...@kbnj.com> wrote in message

Dumbass -

Pros can be Freds.

thanks,

Kurgan. presented by Gringioni.

Steve Freides

Feb 10, 2010, 8:17:54 PM2/10/10

Dumby -

I said, "The useage of Fred has varied widely ..." You're using it
differently than I am. My Freds aren't pro's.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fred_(bicycling)

Or see this one - it's got two definitions, basically yours and mine.

http://www.bicyclesource.com/bicycling_glossary#fred

You're welcome.

-S-

bjwe...@gmail.com

Feb 10, 2010, 10:20:43 PM2/10/10

Dumbass,

You're entitled to your own wrong opinion.

The definitive work on "Fred" is not from wikipedia, but
by Gianni Vertool in RBR:

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.bicycles.racing/msg/afd0e321f4181faa?hl=en

Ben

thecoz11

Feb 10, 2010, 11:42:23 PM2/10/10

Simple answer: Kurgan Gringinoi presented by Dumbass
Coz

Fred Fredburger

Feb 11, 2010, 12:02:03 AM2/11/10

God damn. I've got it bad.

heather

Feb 11, 2010, 12:38:19 AM2/11/10
b...@mambo.ucolick.org wrote:

> The definitive work on "Fred" is not from wikipedia, but
> by Gianni Vertool in RBR:
>
> http://groups.google.com/group/rec.bicycles.racing/msg/afd0e321f4181faa?hl=en
>
> Ben

I have to believe that Gianni would make a good coach. I've read that
post before, but just re-reading it now for fun had me subconsciously
vowing to become BetterSmarterHarder, (etc).

hh

Donald Munro

Feb 11, 2010, 5:20:05 AM2/11/10

Fred Fredburger wrote:
> God damn. I've got it bad.

You need to put more pressure on Carl to present you with his Fred jersey.

cur...@the-md-russells.org

Feb 11, 2010, 10:23:39 AM2/11/10
On Wed, 10 Feb 2010 20:17:54 -0500, "Steve Freides" <st...@kbnj.com>
wrote:

That was interesting to read, because back in the early days of
hearing Fred used much, the rumor was that it had come from Fred
DeLong (who was not as depicted in the Wicki comment). Fred didn't
agree, but the image then was solely around the John Forester kind of
commuter, two of which could argue then (60s, 70s) for hours about the
best kind of commuter light to use (back when that was a serious issue
with maybe two or three possible answers). I rode with Fred a few
times. Nice guy, knew bike racing as well and really knew bikes and
bike riding on the streets. I think his kids were bike racers with a
few trophies, maybe championships. But back then, Fred was mostly a
club rider term for a certain kind of die hard commuter, the
anti-poseur. I personally think it was stolen by road racers from the
cross dressing club riders cum road racers, based on where I heard it
in various places in the DC area, Texas and mostly California around
Monterey.

Side comment - I sometimes think Fred was the only person that John
Forester respected to a high degree when it came to commuting and
bikes. Take it as a pro or con, as you will if you know John.

Steve Freides

Feb 11, 2010, 10:31:41 AM2/11/10

Dummye,

That "definitive work" is too broad to be of use to anyone - basically
anything inappropriate is deemed "Fred," and that's not what a Fred is.
Fred is a distinction earned by a particular combination of
inappropriate gear, inappropriate behavior, and total lack of caring
about both. Those who broaden the definition dilute and ultimately
pollute a beautiful thing. Let's raise a glass to Fred-dom!

-S-

Kurgan Gringioni

Feb 11, 2010, 12:40:38 PM2/11/10

>> The definitive work on "Fred" is not from wikipedia, but
>> by Gianni Vertool in RBR:
>>
>> http://groups.google.com/group/rec.bicycles.racing/msg/afd0e321f4181faa?hl=en
>>
>> Ben
>
> Dummye,
>
> That "definitive work" is too broad to be of use to anyone - basically
> anything inappropriate is deemed "Fred," and that's not what a Fred is.

<snip>

Dumbass -

IMO, Verheul nailed it.

GoneBeforeMyTime

Feb 11, 2010, 1:16:43 PM2/11/10

You're right to some extent. I remember when Heather reposted that years
ago. I wouldn't call that classic-definitive. That wouldn't even hold up for
a C grade in high school for an overnight assignment report on Freds. While
its cute, there has got to better critiques of Freds out there then that.
It's too short, not definitive.

Kurgan Gringioni

Feb 11, 2010, 1:28:10 PM2/11/10

"GoneBeforeMyTime" <Fa...@EuroFans.com> wrote in message

>> That "definitive work" is too broad to be of use to anyone - basically
>> anything inappropriate is deemed "Fred," and that's not what a Fred
>> is. Fred is a distinction earned by a particular combination of
>> inappropriate gear, inappropriate behavior, and total lack of caring
>> about both. Those who broaden the definition dilute and ultimately
>> pollute a beautiful thing. Let's raise a glass to Fred-dom!
>>
>> -S-
>
> You're right to some extent. I remember when Heather reposted that years
> ago. I wouldn't call that classic-definitive. That wouldn't even hold up
> for a C grade in high school for an overnight assignment report on Freds.
> While its cute, there has got to better critiques of Freds out there then
> that. It's too short, not definitive.

Dumbass -

Both you and Freides are Freds since you are both unable to process what its
meaning really is.

GoneBeforeMyTime

Feb 11, 2010, 1:31:36 PM2/11/10

Fuck you.

GoneBeforeMyTime

Feb 11, 2010, 3:33:32 PM2/11/10
Steve Freides wrote:

> That "definitive work" is too broad to be of use to anyone - basically
> anything inappropriate is deemed "Fred," and that's not what a Fred
> is. Fred is a distinction earned by a particular combination of
> inappropriate gear, inappropriate behavior, and total lack of caring
> about both. Those who broaden the definition dilute and ultimately
> pollute a beautiful thing. Let's raise a glass to Fred-dom!
>
> -S-

While everyone runs to Wiki, its not something I use as gospel, however Wiki
states "The exact qualities that define one as a "Fred" vary widely among
regions and cyclists." Fred Flintstone or Fred Birchmore, Barneys or Freds,
I don't care but many equate a fred with a poser, as noted in many online
sites, and there are different theories how the term moved from its first
definition of a regular guy on a simple old bike, to the definition of the
guy who has spent more on his bike than required. Also the synonymous use
with road poser which came to be a derisive term. Also National Master
states that Fred was coined in the late 1880's, with a double meaning of
"the silent assassin" which came into retrospect after numerous "mysterious"
incidents to bikers along the Oregon Trail, and possible just a grumpy old
tour rider named Fred. I'll give my quick two cents above every reference
and link as I did here. If you got somewhere worth reading from a blog about
Freds, post it.

Wiki states..
"The main two definitions used for the term are actually completely
contradictory. And, Fredliness can, of course, also be the result of
clothing and equipment choice, like judging a book by its cover. It may just
be that the term is flexible enough to fit whoever a culture of roadies
wants to distance themselves from. Likewise, bicycle tourists, commuters and
recreational riders are necessarily Freds in the eyes of the egomaniacal
Racerheads' of both the club and federation species." Also note, Kostman
writes, "To some USCFers, those cyclists who don't race their category or
higher are Freds." Kostman also goes on to talk about behaviors being
"Fred-like" when to comes to Oakleys and obsession over titanium.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fred_(bicycling)

National Master dot com take on Freds is worth reading, as its not a copycat
of Wiki. Note the useage of the term "Doris" for female freds as where
another site below calls them Fredistas. This site goes into Freds and
posers in little more detail.

http://www.nationmaster.com/encyclopedia/Fred-(bicycling)

"Fred" is a derisive term used by cyclists to describe other cyclists,
usually male, that appear amateurish and oblivious to cycling culture.

The exact qualities that define one as a "Fred" vary widely among regions
and cyclists, but recently, particularly in the US, a Fred is somebody with
higher quality and more expensive gear than his or her talent would warrant.
For example:

A person watches the highlights of a few Tour de France stages, goes to a
bike store and buys a Trek carbon fiber Madone in Team Discovery colors,
along with Team Discovery shorts and jersey, and then rides it on a cycling
path at 15 mph (25 km/h).

Such a person would be a prototypical Fred, especially if the jersey is
yellow.

In the UK the earlier usage is more common used by 'serious' roadies to
refer to (often) bearded, sandal wearing, touring cyclists. The rare female
Fred is a Doris.

This usage still survives in the US - David Bernstein, presenter of The
FredCast says the term is "used by serious roadies to disparage utility
cyclists and touring riders, especially after these totally unfashionable
freds drop the serious roadies on hills because the serious guys were really
posers." Mostly though a Fred dreams of being able to drop a real cyclist
because their equipment is nicer.

In the US the term is also used to describe the many bicycle riders who
enter fun "tours" or "rallies" but tell everyone that they were in a "race"
with actual knowledge that what they were in was not a true race.

Is a Fred just a poseur?

A Fred is generally too naive to be considered a poseur. A Fred is largely
unaware of his or her status as an object of ridicule, and likely unaware of
the Fred moniker. While it is common for cyclists to claim varying degrees
of "Fredness", such self-derision indicates a higher degree of cycling
cultural-awareness and would indicate that the commenter is, in fact,
unlikely to be a Fred.

Another term, for the word Fred is coined in the late 1880's, it's double
meaning of "the silent assassin" came into retrospect after numerous
"mysterious" incidents to bikers along the Oregon Trail. Needless to say,
the name Fred is pretty beast-like.

Word origin:
The roots of the term "Fred" are unclear, though it purportedly originated
from a grumpy old touring rider named Fred.

A Fred is generally too naive to be considered a poseur. A Fred is largely
unaware of his or her status as an object of ridicule, and likely unaware of
the Fred moniker. While it is common for cyclists to claim varying degrees
of "Fredness", such self-derision indicates a higher degree of cycling
cultural-awareness and would indicate that the commenter is, in fact,
unlikely to be a Fred.

Another term, for the word Fred is coined in the late 1880's, it's double
meaning of "the silent assassin" came into retrospect after numerous
"mysterious" incidents to bikers along the Oregon Trail. Needless to say,
the name Fred is pretty beast-like.

Simply Put, a different twist, just someone who rubs against the grain.

http://members.tripod.com/geert_pc/slang.htm

Fred -- Anyone who is marching to the beat of a different drummer. A newbie.
Freida -- Female Fred.

Bike Snob states simply, the Classic Fred with the hairly toothed chainring,
but note Freds in charity riders and Centuries.

http://bikesnobnyc.blogspot.com/2009/11/flax-of-life-nu-fred-look-classic-fred.html

Speaking of Freds, there is one man who has dominion over all of Fred-dom,
but in particular the "Classic Fred"--that rider with one hairy
chainring-tattooed leg in the world of Category 5 road racing, and the other
in the realm of centuries, charity rides, and Primal jerseys.

Here the Fred as the poser or bearded Utility cyclist, and possible someone
who doesn't follow racing, and note the white calf socks defintion of Fred.
This short take on Fred reflects simliar articles.

http://commutebybike.com/2007/01/10/are-you-fred/

According to the Glossary of bike terms and slang, Fred can either be the
poseur buying more bike and kit than he's capable of utilizing; or he's the
bearded utility cyclist with sandals, rack, pannier or milk crate and with
jeans tucked into his socks.

Fred has mishmash of old gear, does't care at all about technology or
fashion, didn't race or follow racing. Often identified by chainring marks
on white calf socks. Used by 'serious' roadies to disparage utility cyclists
and touring riders, especially after these totally unfashionable 'freds'
drop the 'serious' roadies on hills because the 'serious' guys were really
posers. This term is from road touring and, according to popular myth, 'Fred'
was a well-known grumpy old touring rider, who really was named Fred.

Standard take, promoted simply by many sites.

http://www.chicagobikeracing.com/index.php/site/post/cbr_interview_carlos_cabalu/

How do you define a Fred?

Well, there are two running definitions. One is the poser with the pro kit
and the Orbea who rides on the trail every saturday at 15 mph. The other is
the bearded touring cyclist in tube socks whom you only see from behind
because he's faster than you.

Don't be a Fred applies to both of them, though in the context of the racing
kit its more towards the latter.

Basically people with either too much money or not enough style. CBR reminds
readers that There's nothing wrong with tube socks. 2. Most of us started
out as Freds, so be kind.

This is the one I enjoyed the most about Freds. He sees a Fred as possibly
one of the "Chic" crowd, like the professional dentist with lots of spare
change, and doesn't see a Fred as a poser, but rather mentions that the
Freds are sorted out on the climbs. I like the take about the Freds on the
climbs, playing you hand, like Poker. He states the connection between age
and being a Fred, but what i like is running into an ex-pro who dress and
bike appears to be Freddy, and perhaps reminds me of running into Tony
Rominger when he came to train on Mount Evans or similar climbs in Colorado,
and those blogs or articles reported about how they either passed or got
passed by some Fred on a bike, turned out to be TDF contender Tony Rominger.

I like the last two paragraphs, and this blog reflects something a little
more insightful or philosophical about Freds, or the myths of Freds which
reality is based on, so I enjoyed this take on Freds more then reading
anything else so far.

http://blog.bicyclism.net/?p=249

Apparently, if I was not a Fred, I'd be in a permanent state of awareness
and concern over the intricate laws, conventions and unwritten mores of
cycling culture to the degree that concern over such things would dictate
all the cycling-related choices I make and all that I do and think when out
on a ride. Sounds too much like taking on the load of a weighty mental
handicap to keep my riding in check. It also sounds like being a Fred is
vastly more fun. I sure am glad the local cows care even less than me about
things such as this. But I do love a juicy social construct to deconstruct
as a theme to ponder out on the road.

A Fred apparently is a cyclist who dresses and rides mainly for the image he
(or very rarely, she) is intent to convey. But a Fred is not a poseur as he
is too clueless about the delicate mores of cycling that his bumblings so
affront. He does not know that wearing team kit is an assault. He does not
know that wearing a yellow jersey, or, much worse, a jersey adorned with the
rainbow bands of a world champion is a crime of murder to the delicate
sensibilities of the cycling cognoscenti. He's just having fun while the
cognoscenti cringe and seethe.

A Fred, it seems, is archetypically a late 30's-40's dentist type. He's a
professional with lots of spare cash seeking to proclaim delusional freedom
from the age-related downside of his Autumnal years. Freds, it seems, are
the folks who buy top end bikes. They always dress in full team kit and
sometimes, even, wear the straps of their bib shorts over their jerseys.
Indiscretions such as these are the consequence of another key feature of
Freds; they are not real cyclists at all. Any fighting fit real cyclist
would drop any and all Freds on even the slightest climb. Because it's on
the climbs that Freds and the real-deal folk are soon sorted.

The hills are where things get really complex. Apparently, there are
exceptions to the rules about what one should and should not wear and ride
to earn one's status as a real cyclist. You can wear full team kit, ride a
top end bike and still be real if, and only if, you can drop the Freds in
the hills. If you can drop everyone on the slopes, you can wear and ride
whatever you like. Then, you are simply cool; real & cool (if not a touch
eccentric if you choose to wear team kit after knowing all that you know
about Freds). This test of the hills, though, is a loop hole that allows
many Freds to disguise their status within a perpetual aura of ambiguity.
You see, if a Fred lives on the flats, where there are no hills, how can a
Fred be certified as a Fred if the test of the hills can't be applied? So,
Freds, it seems, can play a perpetual bluffing game (a game they probably
don't know they are playing given that Freds are ignorant of things such as
this). The cards can only be revealed in the hills and until then, they are
kept very close indeed.

So, Fred or not, one can wear what one wants after all! The team kit folk
wear an aura of mystery as they ride; riding a perpetual knife edge ridge to
separate ignorance and prowess.

But there are some giveaways to avoid. Age is one. Old guys on sporty bikes
wearing team kit are to be regarded with cautious suspicion like a snake
crossing the road- He might bite through turning out not to be a Fred at
all; perhaps he's a real veteran Pro out for a solo training ride, beware!
Old guys on sporty bikes wearing team kit but carrying some extra girth
around the middle wear a sign to proclaim their status as uncontested Freds.
Unless they happen to be long-retired cycling pros; and then beware as
before. He could turn out to be Eddy Merckx or Miguel Indurain out for a
ride! Old guys on sporty bikes wearing team kit riding with their seats too
low are Freds; low seats are a siren call giveaway, Apparently.

All this cultural complexity has given birth to that one great demonstration
of the true faith: the race face. If you, as a real cyclist know that the
guy you are about to pass is a Fred, the race face rule decrees that you
ride on by without a glance or a wave; or you might give him the famous
Lance Armstrong LOOK (a studied execution of a quick, withering glance right
into the eyes of
he-who-dared-to-assume-that-he-could-possibly-match-you-in-the-hills). Race
facing on passing is the thing to do to prove your unassailable superiority
to those you regard as Freds. This orchestrated move is a statement that you
are simply way too cool to exist in the same place as the Fred to whom you
are righteously demonstrating your contempt.

It's the way-too graduated spectrum of nuance that attaches to this
Fred/anti-Fred scene that, apparently, gave birth to the 'Fixie revolution'.
Wherein the new uber cool school of above-and-beyond the call of fashion
types can proclaim their hyper coolness by eschewing absolutely everything
that could connect them with any riding camp; except, of course, their own.
Theirs is the anti-culture culture of cycling; but it's a front. The fixie
set are, it seems, as much a victim of determined, purposeful and
intentional choice as the Freds and real roadies they so despise. There's
rules to follow to demonstrate compliance with the hors culture set. Jeans
with ragged edges, just so. Beards, messenger bags of cultured anonymity,
careful non-choices of shoes, banged up bikes conforming to unwritten rules
of studied design anarchy.

You know, having worked all this out, I think I now aspire to be a Fred. But
because I know what Freds are, I can't join that club as Freds don't know
they are Freds. So I suppose I'll just have to ride in a cultural void. Oh
well, the cows won't care.I am going to become a real anti-Fred, Fred. So
now I can keep my overindulgent bikes and all my Team kit. I might even go
out for a ride with my bib straps over my Caisse D'Epargne jersey, wearing a
Camel Back for good measure! And I will wave to every cyclist I see, so
there.

GoneBeforeMyTime

Feb 11, 2010, 3:40:45 PM2/11/10
GoneBeforeMyTime wrote:

Fixed the accidental double copy of two paragraphs...

[...]

National Master dot take on Freds is worth reading, as its not a copycat of

http://www.nationmaster.com/encyclopedia/Fred-(bicycling)

Tom Kunich

Feb 11, 2010, 4:42:23 PM2/11/10

> Fuck you.

Simply ignore Henry. He's become an embarrassment to this group and we
should simply not bother to read anything he posts.

Michael Press

Feb 11, 2010, 5:16:15 PM2/11/10
In article <1i78n5h6dns9uttgo...@4ax.com>,
cur...@the-md-russells.org wrote:

> That was interesting to read, because back in the early days of
> hearing Fred used much, the rumor was that it had come from Fred
> DeLong (who was not as depicted in the Wicki comment). Fred didn't
> agree, but the image then was solely around the John Forester kind of
> commuter, two of which could argue then (60s, 70s) for hours about the
> best kind of commuter light to use (back when that was a serious issue
> with maybe two or three possible answers). I rode with Fred a few
> times. Nice guy, knew bike racing as well and really knew bikes and
> bike riding on the streets. I think his kids were bike racers with a
> few trophies, maybe championships. But back then, Fred was mostly a
> club rider term for a certain kind of die hard commuter, the
> anti-poseur. I personally think it was stolen by road racers from the
> cross dressing club riders cum road racers, based on where I heard it
> in various places in the DC area, Texas and mostly California around
> Monterey.

<http://groups.google.com/group/rec.bicycles.racing/msg/8ba93a14602cab33?hl=en&dmode=source>

Hard core surfers are a closed group and called
daytrippers from the suburbs Freds after Fred
Flintstone. Recognizing the clear superiority of
La Rubble, the Freds' girlfriends were called
'Bettys' (Betties ?) and were welcome.

--
Michael Press

GoneBeforeMyTime

Feb 11, 2010, 7:42:58 PM2/11/10
Tom Kunich wrote:
> "GoneBeforeMyTime" <Fa...@EuroFans.com> wrote in message

> Simply ignore Henry. He's become an embarrassment to this group and we

> should simply not bother to read anything he posts.

What John Verheul wrote was interesting, but it's just a usenet reply, not a
master thesis on Freds for a college term paper. It was not meant to be
entered into the RBR manifesto as Classic-definitive.

Steve Freides

Feb 11, 2010, 8:42:17 PM2/11/10

Whatever you do for a living to have _this_ much free time, please tell
me - I want to change to whatever career you've got going.

-S-

GoneBeforeMyTime

Feb 11, 2010, 9:05:46 PM2/11/10

It doesn't take that long if you have a trace of Internet skills. It wasn't
that hard and didn't take very long to post that info, but I went into
computers and networks after I retired from Constuction. I am certified for
A+, Network+, CCNA, and spent a fair amount of time with web coding with
html, and hacking java and perl scripts. I started with DOS 5, before going
to Windows 3.0 in early 90's. I also use Linux, got one Linux box here.

GoneBeforeMyTime

Feb 11, 2010, 9:23:44 PM2/11/10
GoneBeforeMyTime wrote:
> Steve Freides wrote:

>> Whatever you do for a living to have _this_ much free time, please
>> tell me - I want to change to whatever career you've got going.
>>
>> -S-

You might consider getting a trust fund like others in the group. I don't
have one, but they spend way, way more time in rbr then me. That must be the
ticket!

Feb 11, 2010, 9:37:20 PM2/11/10

Not on a word for word basis. And definitely not on an internet women
bike racer stocker basis.

Steve Freides

Feb 11, 2010, 10:07:34 PM2/11/10
GoneBeforeMyTime wrote:

> It doesn't take that long if you have a trace of Internet skills. It
> wasn't that hard and didn't take very long to post that info, but I
> went into computers and networks after I retired from Constuction. I
> am certified for A+, Network+, CCNA, and spent a fair amount of time
> with web coding with html, and hacking java and perl scripts. I
> started with DOS 5, before going to Windows 3.0 in early 90's. I also
> use Linux, got one Linux box here.

I started with DOS 2, my wife started with CPM. Desqview before
Windows.

But why post all that stuff verbatim? Why not just a few links? I'd
have been more likely to follow some links - I sure didn't read your
magnum opus.

-S-

GoneBeforeMyTime

Feb 11, 2010, 10:09:05 PM2/11/10

MS Netscan shut down in 2007. If that database was still active, it would
tell you who the king of rbr is, most posts monthly, yearly, etc.

GoneBeforeMyTime

Feb 11, 2010, 10:28:23 PM2/11/10
Steve Freides wrote:
> GoneBeforeMyTime wrote:

> I started with DOS 2, my wife started with CPM. Desqview before
> Windows.

I got one of the orignal IBM 8088 machines, used it for a while typing text,
and even some crude games. It has 10 meg hard drive.

> But why post all that stuff verbatim? Why not just a few links? I'd
> have been more likely to follow some links - I sure didn't read your
> magnum opus.

Well, then you didn't learn anything and are likey to be closed minded on
the subject or lack attention span. I don't think its the latter but I
didn't just post it for you, lurkers read and far outnumber the posters.
Besides Wiki and National Master, I enjoyed the last blog. Its easier for
readers to read it all on one page then to follow links, which some sites
don't always come up as expected. Each site had something different to say,
and also shared the common definitions at times, but I didn't include what I
thought was not useful.

A. Dumas

Feb 11, 2010, 10:46:00 PM2/11/10
Op 12-02-10 2:42, Steve Freides wrote:
> GoneBeforeMyTime wrote:
>> [...]

> Whatever you do for a living to have _this_ much free time, please tell
> me - I want to change to whatever career you've got going.

He's a trust fund baby; most Californians are, I hear.

GoneBeforeMyTime

Feb 11, 2010, 11:01:47 PM2/11/10

I wish, but not true. If I had that kind of money, I'd be traveling the
world.

GoneBeforeMyTime

Feb 11, 2010, 11:05:48 PM2/11/10
GoneBeforeMyTime wrote:
> Steve Freides wrote:
>> GoneBeforeMyTime wrote:
>
>> I started with DOS 2, my wife started with CPM. Desqview before
>> Windows.
>
> I got one of the orignal IBM 8088 machines, used it for a while
> typing text, and even some crude games. It has 10 meg hard drive.
>>
>> But why post all that stuff verbatim?

ps-It wasn't verbatim in many parts, or it would of been much, much longer.
I used keypoints mostly, and didn't bother with the rest, but the bigger
point is sites come and go all the time as well as links to where the info
is stored, as where usenet will always carry that info. When ever someone
posts an entire article or report to usenet, sometimes its justified because
that could be well worth reading again in the future, otherwise lost.
Netscan and Wayback machine stopped archiving several years ago, so Usenet
is one way of finding some articles. There are tons of useful info on usenet
since 1981, and hard drive space has greatly increased across servers
worldwide.

GoneBeforeMyTime

Feb 11, 2010, 11:34:45 PM2/11/10
GoneBeforeMyTime wrote:
> A. Dumas wrote:
>>>
>>> Whatever you do for a living to have _this_ much free time, please
>>> tell me - I want to change to whatever career you've got going.
>>
>> He's a trust fund baby; most Californians are, I hear.

Everything I have, was hard fought. I built everything I have over several
decades from scratch, I mean from scratch, nothing but the land. I did all
the building, plumbing, electrical, cement work, everything. Being in
construction for many years helps, sure, but working on your pad part time
is not easy while doing everything else life requires including a full time
job. It took many, many years before everything was complete. It wasn't
handed to me, but hard fought, all the way. That includes digging a 900 foot
trench from the well through rocks, roots and hardpan with only a shovel,
axe and a hand saw. Local equipment rentals were often in court with people
who damaged their trenchers by cutting through rocks, so I opted to dig it
by hand, quite a job. I lifted rocks weighing 200 pounds out of the ground
with my own two hands, many times, and bigger.

Feb 11, 2010, 11:55:21 PM2/11/10

Oh. You mean like:

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.bicycles.racing/about?hl=en

Looks like nobody is spending more time on rbr than you this month. Who
knows for all time with all the Bruce/sierraman/gbmt/etc 'nyms.

GoneBeforeMyTime

Feb 12, 2010, 12:11:25 AM2/12/10
z wrote:

I'm aware of this one, but Netscan was better laid out with better stats and
I wouldn't be anywhere even close on the all time list. If look at some of
those, for the short time they were in rbr, that's some major postings over
a very short few years. And who the hell is the creepy Z coward, since you
like to drag up my handles?

Feb 12, 2010, 12:14:23 AM2/12/10

Mr. Pot,

Perhaps you should return to posting as Bruce Johnston before calling me
a creepy coward.

Regards,
Mr. Kettle

Howard Kveck

Feb 12, 2010, 12:14:25 AM2/12/10

That page? Very disquieting.

--
tanx,
Howard

Caught playing safe
It's a bored game

remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?

GoneBeforeMyTime

Feb 12, 2010, 12:19:22 AM2/12/10

Creepy coward.

GoneBeforeMyTime

Feb 12, 2010, 12:49:32 AM2/12/10

Woe, I didn't know you were number 2 after Kunich on the all time list!
Congrats!

Kyle Legate

Feb 12, 2010, 1:01:08 AM2/12/10
GoneBeforeMyTime wrote:
> Steve Freides wrote:
>> GoneBeforeMyTime wrote:
>
>> I started with DOS 2, my wife started with CPM. Desqview before
>> Windows.
>
> I got one of the orignal IBM 8088 machines, used it for a while typing text,
> and even some crude games. It has 10 meg hard drive.
>> But why post all that stuff verbatim? Why not just a few links? I'd
>> have been more likely to follow some links - I sure didn't read your
>> magnum opus.
>
> Well, then you didn't learn anything and are likey to be closed minded on
> the subject or lack attention span. I don't think its the latter but I
> didn't just post it for you, lurkers read and far outnumber the posters.

They don't read your shit either if it scrolls past a page. People have
lives and don't spend all day on internet reading verbose rants which
may not even have a coherent point. Be concise, or you're just writing
for yourself, fred.

Kyle Legate

Feb 12, 2010, 1:02:10 AM2/12/10
Then my vote goes to mental hospital. The perfect combination of
internet and free time.

GoneBeforeMyTime

Feb 12, 2010, 1:15:16 AM2/12/10

This coming from someone who used to post porn links to a cycling newsgroup.
Go hold court at your Lemon club.

GoneBeforeMyTime

Feb 12, 2010, 1:44:14 AM2/12/10
Kyle Legate wrote:

> They don't read your shit either if it scrolls past a page.

Yes they do.

>People have lives and don't spend all day on internet reading verbose
>rants
> which may not even have a coherent point.

Its not verbose, and its not a rant by me, or anyone else.

Be concise, or you're just
> writing for yourself, fred.

I didn't do it for you, or any of the flame crowd, and it is concise per
piece, except the blogger Fred at the end, but I liked that one the most, so
there. This is rbr, not an English class, so flame away all you want.

Kyle Legate

Feb 12, 2010, 1:52:44 AM2/12/10
WTF?! Nobody asked about your cabin in the woods, Unabomber. You make it
sound like you were so poor that you had no choice but to build your own
dwelling from found objects and determination, using naught but the most
primitive tools. I'm thinking that my crack about you posting from a
mental hospital might not be so off the mark.

GoneBeforeMyTime

Feb 12, 2010, 2:13:33 AM2/12/10

ok, ha, ha, ha but Unabomber? Not poor, but I didn't grow up rich either, so
I saved money all along the way by doing it myself.

A. Dumas

Feb 12, 2010, 9:17:59 AM2/12/10

I bet it's Dave Zabriskie. He's not racing right now so he has time.
Have you noticed how "z" only posts when there's no racing on? Also, his
email says "not.ca" and I know for a fact that Zabriskie is very proud
not to be either Californian or Canadian.

Steve Freides

Feb 12, 2010, 10:16:48 AM2/12/10

Dumbass -

If you ride like you post here, you're a Fred.

-S-

Donald Munro

Feb 12, 2010, 3:36:27 AM2/12/10
GoneBeforeMyTime wrote:
> This coming from someone who used to post porn links to a cycling newsgroup.
> Go hold court at your Lemon club.

Sounds like h**2 was here.

Donald Munro

Feb 12, 2010, 3:41:49 AM2/12/10

GoneBeforeMyTime wrote:
> I got one of the orignal IBM 8088 machines, used it for a while typing text,
> and even some crude games. It has 10 meg hard drive.

And I started programming in assembler on a CBM 64. I suspect you would
have enjoyed one of the old 64 games (perhaps Ryan can add it to his
display of classic computer games):

<http://www.lemon64.com/?mainurl=http%3A//www.lemon64.com/games/details.php%3FID%3D2516>

Donald Munro

Feb 12, 2010, 3:43:44 AM2/12/10
GoneBeforeMyTime wrote:
> RBR manifesto

Your flameout is definitely top 10 on the rbr manifesto.

Amit Ghosh

Feb 12, 2010, 12:30:18 PM2/12/10
On Feb 11, 10:23 am, cur...@the-md-russells.org wrote:

> cross dressing club riders cum road racers

bruce is interested.

Michael Press

Feb 12, 2010, 1:40:44 PM2/12/10
In article <JNGdnXIZKNZdZenW...@sti.net>,
"GoneBeforeMyTime" <Fa...@EuroFans.com> wrote:

> Kyle Legate wrote:
> >
> > They don't read your shit either if it scrolls past a page.
>
> Yes they do.

No, they do not.

--
Michael Press

Ryan Cousineau

Feb 12, 2010, 4:00:55 PM2/12/10
In article <drgf47-...@donald.homeip.net>,
Donald Munro <no...@mailinator.com> wrote:

No, I cannot.

--
Ryan Cousineau rcou...@gmail.com http://www.wiredcola.com/

Fred Fredburger

Feb 12, 2010, 8:37:38 PM2/12/10

Oh, that makes sense. And all this time I thought it was Zorro!

Donald Munro

Feb 13, 2010, 5:16:35 AM2/13/10
A. Dumas wrote:
> I bet it's Dave Zabriskie. He's not racing right now so he has time.
> Have you noticed how "z" only posts when there's no racing on? Also, his
> email says "not.ca" and I know for a fact that Zabriskie is very proud
> not to be either Californian or Canadian.

z is the third dimension.