Protecting myself (electronic) self

Joel Cunningham

Oct 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/11/99
My computer is linked on an ethernet-network here at school. I just found
out, while exploring my computer for files I don't need, that I have acess
to (in most cases) sections of other computers in my "workgroup" such as
downloads or "My Documents", but in one case, the person's entire C: drive.
I assume, then, that these people have access to MY computer. My question:
is there a way to block this data from other computers? I don't like the
idea that they could go in and fetch my papers, downloaded mp3's, ect.
Thanks for any help.

--
Joel
<woem...@hotmail.com>

Pat Flanagan

Oct 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/11/99

Joel Cunningham <woem...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> My computer is linked on an ethernet-network here at school. I just found
> out, while exploring my computer for files I don't need, that I have acess
> to (in most cases) sections of other computers in my "workgroup" such as
> downloads or "My Documents", but in one case, the person's entire C:
drive.
> I assume, then, that these people have access to MY computer. My
question:
> is there a way to block this data from other computers? I don't like the
> idea that they could go in and fetch my papers, downloaded mp3's, ect.
> Thanks for any help.

Well, if it's set-up like the one here at OSU is, you can turn file sharing
on or off under the individual folders. The only thing I have on our
network here is my mp3 folder. You actually have to select to let them have
access to the files. You can tell if it is shared by looking at the folder
in the "My Computer" and on the drive. If it is shared, it will have a
little hand under it. You can also change your overall settings by going to
"My Computer", "Control Panel" and then to the "Network" icon, which has the
Network settings.

Pat "Hopefully you can understand me" Flanagan
MSTie #67921
"People must have thought I was a nut at the wake and at the funeral.
People at the wake coming up to me, "Sorry for your trouble." "Mmmmphf!"
Held it all in the whole time. Held that puppy right here. That's what Irish
guys do. We hold it in until we blow up. Sometimes you hear about bombs over
in London. They're not bombs, they're Irish guys blowing up."
- Denis Leary

UCFKevin

Oct 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/11/99
Go to Windows Explorer, right click on whatever directory is shared or that you
want to share, and all you gotta do is password it if you'd like. You don't
even have to share anything, you can be on a network but not share anything.
What school do you go to?

J.R.

Oct 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/11/99
Pat Flanagan wrote:

> Well, if it's set-up like the one here at OSU is,

Is that OSU as in Oregon State University? As in another MSTie in Oregon?

J.R. #94860
Who, for eight years, thought he was the only REAL MSTie in the entire state.

Pat Flanagan

Oct 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/11/99

J.R. <plym...@pop.ptld.uswest.net> wrote in message

> Pat Flanagan wrote:
>

> > Well, if it's set-up like the one here at OSU is,
>
> Is that OSU as in Oregon State University? As in another MSTie in Oregon?

Alas, no it isn't, it is Ohio State University.

> J.R. #94860
> Who, for eight years, thought he was the only REAL MSTie in the entire
state.

You are. :-) Here in Ohio we have Norb, Kevin Mowery, and myself that are
active in RATMM, but have quite a few other MSTies, as evident by the Ohio
MSTies Get-Together I attended at the end of July this past summer. :-)

Pat "And a good time was had by all, can't wait til the 2000 one" Flanagan
MSTie #67921
"Find someone special?"
"I did, she didn't."
- Billy and Pacey, _Dawson's Creek_

Joel Cunningham

Oct 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/11/99

UCFKevin <ucfk...@aol.com> wrote in message

Loyola University-Chicago. Neat campus, bad area.

J.R.

Oct 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/11/99
Pat Flanagan wrote:

Ofcourse, I forgot about the other O states. Oh well.

J.R. MST #94860
Who apparently IS the only REAL MSTie in the state. :-(

David Crowe

Oct 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/12/99
Pat Flanagan <flana...@osu.edu> wrote:
: >
: > J.R. #94860

: > Who, for eight years, thought he was the only REAL MSTie in the entire
: state.
: >
: You are. :-) Here in Ohio we have Norb, Kevin Mowery, and myself that are
: active in RATMM, but have quite a few other MSTies, as evident by the Ohio
: MSTies Get-Together I attended at the end of July this past summer. :-)

Someone (besides me) should put together a US (or world?) map that shows
the concentrations of posters here-a dot for each person on their
hometown. It'd look like those nuclear target maps the library used to
have.

--
David "No Nickname" Crowe http://www.primenet.com/~jetman

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to find out who this Cubone guy is. Any
cute cartoon animal who wears the skull of one of his defeated enemies as
headwear is my kinda cute cartoon animal.
-Kurt Busiek on Pokemon

Pat Flanagan

Oct 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/12/99

David Crowe <jet...@primenet.com> wrote in message

> Pat Flanagan <flana...@osu.edu> wrote:
> : >
> : > J.R. #94860
> : > Who, for eight years, thought he was the only REAL MSTie in the entire
> : state.
> : >
> : You are. :-) Here in Ohio we have Norb, Kevin Mowery, and myself that
are
> : active in RATMM, but have quite a few other MSTies, as evident by the
Ohio
> : MSTies Get-Together I attended at the end of July this past summer. :-)
>
> Someone (besides me) should put together a US (or world?) map that shows
> the concentrations of posters here-a dot for each person on their
> hometown. It'd look like those nuclear target maps the library used to
> have.

It was proposed and begun by someone(I want to say Mike Grasso) a little
over a year ago, but the finished product never saw the light of day, and
was just kind of dropped.

Pat "Still think it was a good idea though" Flanagan
MSTie #67921
"You're not an idiot. You're just a guy in love."
"Same thing."
- Ross and Rachel, _Friends_

Mike Ralls

Oct 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/12/99
On Mon, 11 Oct 1999, J.R. wrote:

> Pat Flanagan wrote:
> >
> > Well, if it's set-up like the one here at OSU is,
>
> Is that OSU as in Oregon State University? As in another MSTie in Oregon?
>

> J.R. #94860
> Who, for eight years, thought he was the only REAL MSTie in the entire state.

What am I? Choped liver?

--
Mike Ralls
Proud Oregon MSTie.

And on an eiry note, my name used to be J.R.

Thomas Cox

Oct 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/12/99
Pat Flanagan wrote:

> David Crowe <jet...@primenet.com> wrote in message
> > Pat Flanagan <flana...@osu.edu> wrote:
> > : >

> > : > J.R. #94860

> > : > Who, for eight years, thought he was the only REAL MSTie in the entire
> > : state.

> > : >
> > : You are. :-) Here in Ohio we have Norb, Kevin Mowery, and myself that
> are
> > : active in RATMM, but have quite a few other MSTies, as evident by the
> Ohio
> > : MSTies Get-Together I attended at the end of July this past summer. :-)
> >
> > Someone (besides me) should put together a US (or world?) map that shows
> > the concentrations of posters here-a dot for each person on their
> > hometown. It'd look like those nuclear target maps the library used to
> > have.
> >
> It was proposed and begun by someone(I want to say Mike Grasso) a little
> over a year ago, but the finished product never saw the light of day, and
> was just kind of dropped.

You would be correct, sir. I offered to do it for him and was politely turned
down.

--
Fox, Spy Extraordinaire
MSTie #83019

It matters not if you try and fail and try again. It matters much if
you try and fail and fail to try again.

* Sent from RemarQ http://www.remarq.com * The Internet's Discussion Network *
* The fastest and easiest way to search and participate in Usenet - Free! *

Michael R. Flavin

Oct 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/12/99

Joel Cunningham <woem...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> My computer is linked on an ethernet-network here at school. I just found
> out, while exploring my computer for files I don't need, that I have acess
> to (in most cases) sections of other computers in my "workgroup" such as
> downloads or "My Documents", but in one case, the person's entire C:
drive.
> I assume, then, that these people have access to MY computer. My
question:
> is there a way to block this data from other computers? I don't like the
> idea that they could go in and fetch my papers, downloaded mp3's, ect.
> Thanks for any help.

Don't worry. People only have access to the files that you want them to
have access to. However, there are always a few morons, even here, who
figure that it's easier to just share the entire drive. There was a thread
about this on one of the RPI newsgroups (which I don't think are available
outside of the campus network). Basically, the people were making fun of
the stupid freshmen who do that, and when one person told somebody that
anyone had access to all their files, their response was "I know, but they
can't change anything without a password." As if that will stop people from
reading your e-mail, stealing papers you are writing, knowing info you keep
on the computer, such as passwords or credit card numbers, etc. So, to
summarize, you shouldn't worry, unless you are a moron, and if you were, you
wouldn't be on RATMM.

Michael

J.R.

Oct 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/12/99
Mike Ralls wrote:

> What am I? Choped liver?
>
> --
> Mike Ralls
> Proud Oregon MSTie.
>
> And on an eiry note, my name used to be J.R.

Far out! Good to know I'm not an island out here in great N.W.
I worked with a couple of guys that went to Willamette. They all graduated maybe
three or four years ago.

Jake Rose MST#94860

Joel Cunningham

Oct 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/12/99

Michael R. Flavin <fla...@rpi.edu> wrote in message

Good. Thanks for the info- I think I'm good, since I didn't try to make
anything accessable. But I did stumble across one guy's extensive porn
archives. Kind of makes it hard to walk by him in the hallways knowing he
has thee files involving coupling with an animal of the more than two legged
variety.

> Michael

I has to wsh my eyeballs out with bleach!

Thomas Cox

Oct 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/12/99
Joel Cunningham wrote:

[Fox pukes again]

> I has to wsh my eyeballs out with bleach!

And now you don't have eyeballs, that was a dumb idea. Have we learned
something from this?

Joel Cunningham

Oct 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/12/99

Thomas Cox <Fox...@drexel.edu> wrote in message

Yes- Porn bad, bleach good.

> --
> Fox, Spy Extraordinaire

All you need to know.

Thomas Cox

Oct 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/12/99
Joel Cunningham wrote:

> Thomas Cox <Fox...@drexel.edu> wrote:
>
> > --
> > Fox, Spy Extraordinaire
>
> All you need to know.

Yes, if you were told anymore, I'd have to kill you.

The Midnight Rambler

Oct 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/12/99

Pat Flanagan wrote:

> David Crowe <jet...@primenet.com> wrote in message
> > Pat Flanagan <flana...@osu.edu> wrote:
> > : >
> > : > J.R. #94860
> > : > Who, for eight years, thought he was the only REAL MSTie in the entire
> > : state.
> > : >
> > : You are. :-) Here in Ohio we have Norb, Kevin Mowery, and myself that
> are
> > : active in RATMM, but have quite a few other MSTies, as evident by the
> Ohio
> > : MSTies Get-Together I attended at the end of July this past summer. :-)
> >
> > Someone (besides me) should put together a US (or world?) map that shows
> > the concentrations of posters here-a dot for each person on their
> > hometown. It'd look like those nuclear target maps the library used to
> > have.
> >
> It was proposed and begun by someone(I want to say Mike Grasso) a little
> over a year ago, but the finished product never saw the light of day, and
> was just kind of dropped.

Let me repeat my earlier offer: after ExotiCon, I'll be more than happy to host
this one.

--
Another good example of why not to do drugs courtesy of
Lonesome Rob Fontenot, The Midnight Rambler

Michael R. Flavin

Oct 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/12/99

> [Fox pukes again]
>
> > I has to wsh my eyeballs out with bleach!
>
> And now you don't have eyeballs, that was a dumb idea. Have we learned
> something from this?

Um....Fox? I don't think he can read your message.

Michael

(Then again, we can poke him with sticks now, and he won't be able to defend
himself! *giggles with girlish glee* *pokes Joel with a pool cue*)

Randy Golden

Oct 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/13/99
Fox spews:
>Joel Cunningham wrote:

>> I has to wsh my eyeballs out with bleach!
>
>And now you don't have eyeballs, that was a dumb idea. Have we learned
>something from this?

Yeah. If you have to wash your eyeballs, use Liquid Tide With Bleach
Alternative! Burns less, smells rosier.

Randy G.
For all your organ-washing household hints

MST Info Club #94720. E-mail welcome. Spammers, try your luck!
"What? Oh, I *wasn't* supposed to shoot the hand puppet?" --Sgt. Tork, "Black
Panther" #12.

Mike Ralls

Oct 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/14/99
plym...@uswest.net wrote:

> I worked with a couple of guys that went to Willamette. They all
> graduated maybe three or four years ago.

Yea, I ran into them yesterday. They were real nice and remembered to
ask if I wanted fries with that and everything.

--
Mike Ralls

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.