Passa al primo messaggio da leggere

Larry Powers

da leggere,
23 giu 2010, 23:00:3823/06/10
a rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I had a wobble in the rear wheel of my Quickbeam.  I found that the nuts on one side were loose and thought it would be an easy fix.  Even after tightening the nuts there was still a bit of a wobble so it is time to replacement bearings.

I pulled off the nuts on both sides and the dust cover on one side so I could see the bearings.  What next?  How do I extricate the bearings?  Last wheel I worked on had cup and cone bearings and the Park tool website did not have a description of how to remove cartridge bearings.

Thanks in advance.

Larry Powers

Get a bicycle.  You will not regret it if you live. - Mark Twain

David Faller

da leggere,
24 giu 2010, 00:08:1524/06/10
a rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I don't know about Suzue hubs, but many, if not most sealed bearing hubs require a specialized press to extract and press in new bearing sets.  Some bike shops do have them and can do the job fairly easily.  It's not a DIY job unless you have such tools (which cost WAY more than a new set of hubs).

Start calling bike shops or machine shops.  You'd be surprised who can help with this one.
The New Busy think 9 to 5 is a cute idea. Combine multiple calendars with Hotmail. Get busy. --

Larry Powers

da leggere,
24 giu 2010, 08:54:4024/06/10
a rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the heads up on this, I'll start making calls or price out hubs that I can maintain myself.

Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2010 21:08:15 -0700
From: dfa...@charter.net
To: rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: [RBW] SUZUE Bearing Replacement

Phil Brown

da leggere,
24 giu 2010, 12:43:2724/06/10
a RBW Owners Bunch

On Jun 23, 8:00 pm, Larry Powers <lapower...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> I had a wobble in the rear wheel of my Quickbeam. I found that the nuts on one side were loose and thought it would be an easy fix. Even after tightening the nuts there was still a bit of a wobble so it is time to replacement bearings.
>
> I pulled off the nuts on both sides and the dust cover on one side so I could see the bearings. What next? How do I extricate the bearings? Last wheel I worked on had cup and cone bearings and the Park tool website did not have a description of how to remove cartridge bearings.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Larry Powers

Suzue/.Sunshine/Suntour sealed bearing hubs required a special tool to
pull the bearings that Loose Screws used to sell. Do they still? Good
question.
Phil Brown

Larry Powers

da leggere,
24 giu 2010, 13:00:0724/06/10
a rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I could not find one there.  My LBS can handle this so for now that will do the trick.

Larry Powers

Get a bicycle.  You will not regret it if you live. - Mark Twain

> Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2010 09:43:27 -0700
> Subject: [RBW] Re: SUZUE Bearing Replacement
> From: philc...@gmail.com
> To: rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com

Bill Connell

da leggere,
24 giu 2010, 13:19:1424/06/10
a rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
It looks like Bike Tools Etc. carries a couple of hub bearing presses:
http://biketoolsetc.com/index.cgi?id=146799419354&c=Tools&sc=Hub-and-Axle&tc=Bearing-Tools

I've heard that you can generally remove them with a long punch or
cheap spring tool, the site above has one for $4.

--
Bill Connell
St. Paul, MN

Garth

da leggere,
24 giu 2010, 09:30:4424/06/10
a RBW Owners Bunch
I use the Enduro tool for cartdridge bearings(Suntour/Specialized).
http://www.enduroforkseals.com/id61.html

It's available from most shops.

bfd

da leggere,
24 giu 2010, 16:57:0824/06/10
a RBW Owners Bunch

dan gee

da leggere,
25 giu 2010, 10:14:4825/06/10
a RBW Owners Bunch
In my many years of dealing with sealed bearing hubs, I have never
seen anyone at a shop use a specialized tool to remove or install
bearings. Generally they get knocked out with a metal punch of some
sort and are pushed in with a socket wrench bit and rubber mallet. It
only really gets complicated when the bearing have fallen apart and
some surgery is needed to extricate the outer piece of the shell from
the hub body.

J C

da leggere,
25 giu 2010, 10:40:0825/06/10
a rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
These bearings are super easy to service.

We use to use two or three old spokes and a solid axel to drive out the bearings.  You can make a press with some threaded stock and a couple of washers, sockets and bolts.    Just make sure you are pressing on the outer race when you install them.

You can also use a block or wood and carefully press them back into the hub shell with c clamps or careful use of a hammer.

      PATRICK MOORE <bert...@gmail.com> Jun 24 02:56PM -0600 ^

      Interesting series of user reviews at Road Bike Review:
      http://www.roadbikereview.com/mfr/rivendell-bicycle-works/commuter-bike/PRD_440118_6514crx.aspx

      I noted the repeated praise of it's stability in turns; rather odd, no,
      given the tendency to flop at low speeds uphills (unweighted rear except for
      rack and unladen Packers)? Or do these traits somehow go hand in hand?

      At any rate, it does carve corners nicely until you sit up and beg while you
      twiddle a 31" gear up a steep hill. (I am so used to forcing fixed gears up
      hills that perhaps I'm just unused to this sort of bike behavior.)

      Perhaps -- just perhaps! -- my next bike will be a Sam Hill that can take
      the 65 mm wide tires off of the Monocog yet ride decently with 40 mm tires.
      And fit fenders. Hmmm: Schlumpf Mountain Drive for off roading and pass
      hunting; add another wheelset with that new Shimano 8 sp hub for touring
      .... Mmmmmm ....

      Patrick "no damn' derailleurs" Moore

      --
      Patrick Moore
      Albuquerque, NM

    NickBull

    da leggere,
    25 giu 2010, 14:11:2525/06/10
    a RBW Owners Bunch
    I had a cartridge bearing stuck in my Suntour Cyclone hub. The id of
    the hub is smaller than the id of the bearing, so you can't come in
    through the hub to the back side of the bearing to knock it out with a
    screwdriver or punch because there is no "lip" to catch on. So I
    bought one of those pullers that bfd posted. Worthless! Took it to
    the bike store. They tried their own version of the same worthless
    puller. Eventually, they broke it out with a hammer and big
    screwdriver. The replacement bearing did not last a long time--maybe
    they borked it when they were putting it in. So I broke that out
    myself with a hammer and screwdriver, and the replacement seems to be
    running fine for the last couple thousand miles.

    Nick
    Rispondi a tutti
    Rispondi all'autore
    Inoltra