Arduino Sunday Mk II - Please register on Facebook

Dominic Morrow

Mar 21, 2011, 8:28:40 AM3/21/11
to nottinghack
Folks

The Arduino workshop is £40 including the awsome kit

If you bring your own kit we'd ask that you pay a donation of £10 towards the Hackspace. You can share a kit with someone else but again we'd ask that you make a donation per person extra. The more the merrier hopefully we'll squeeze everyone in.

If you are coming to the Arduino workshop please:
  • Register that you are coming on the Facebook Page
  • Tell us if you need a kit or not (also on the Facebook Page)
  • Tweet, blog, facebook link etc about the workshop to get the word out
If you are NOT coming to the Arduino workshop please still put the word around. If you think you'd like a kit but are not coming to the workshop you'll need to pay £40 before Sunday please. Ideally we'd like to sell all 20 kits on the day for the workshop itself.

Dominic

--
Dominic
Nottingham Hackspace Organiser

Matt Lloyd

Mar 21, 2011, 9:52:43 AM3/21/11
to notti...@googlegroups.com
Ok here is a few more detail of what (i hope) will happen on sunday!

http://nottinghack.org.uk/?p=269
From the Blog:-
"Arduino 101 For Beginners – A beginners kit will be available as well
as tuition on getting started with Micro-controllers. As well as group
tuition, one-on-one help will be available from experienced teachers
and hackers who can help you learn more!"

The 101 workshop is going to be lead by John Crouchley, in out big
workshop room. It most likely going to be a repeat of our very
successful first arudino workshop.
The Arduino Sundae power point presentation from last time is still
available for anyone after a sneak peek
http://john.crouchley.com/files/Arduino_Sundae.pdf
As with last time John and others will be on hand to give one-on-one
help as need.
This time we have our awesome looking arudino workshop kits from
oomlout. Might have to grab on myself just for the keyring :)

Don't forget that the help doesn't stop when workshop is over, there
is usually a least one person that knows
arudino's/electronics/programming at our weekly open hack nights, and
we are more than happy to answer questions and help out with projects.
Its why we are all here!!

From the Blog:-
"Arduino 2.0 For Progressors – The new Hackerspace rooms and tools
will be available to you as well as expert one-on-one help. You’ll be
able to make progress with your project as well as discuss all things
Arduino with experts and other enthusiasts in an environment ideally
suited to rapid prototyping!"

This is going to be a little bit more of an informal/1on1 session in
the main hacksapce rooms.

Bring along our own project to work on.
Have a project idea and want help getting started?
Tricky questions about arudino's/electronics/programming?

Again were offering one-on-one help here, ill be going round the room
helping as much as i can and im sure there will be others there to.
I know a few folks have all ready mentioned projects/ideas they are
looking for advice on.

Michael is desperate to get a stepper motor working, so ill be showing
him two methods using first two H-Bridge's then constant current
stepper drivers (off the RepRap)
Russell has asked about switching a relay and control high power stuff
from that? Transistors and MOSFETS's.
Hopefully Dominic can finally sit down and strap an arduino to one of
his Big Trak's

Want to see just how far an arduino can go?

I'm hoping to have my RepRap up and running (no promises), my arduino
based tank and the hackspaces new LED matrix display board.
These will show people just some of the cool things arduino's can be
used to do and also some of the more complex aspects.
Ill be happy to explain these project to everyone and including
sharing source code for our more advance programs to tinker with.

'Repap' Matt

gmjhowe

Mar 21, 2011, 10:19:29 AM3/21/11
to Nottingham Hackspace - Nottinghack

> 'Repap' Matt

I see what you are doing, your gonna be 'parappa the rapper' Matt
before we realise..

Dominic Morrow

Mar 21, 2011, 10:32:17 AM3/21/11
to notti...@googlegroups.com
too late that name is going to stick Matt does look a little bit like Parappa

Matt Lloyd

Mar 21, 2011, 10:35:30 AM3/21/11
to notti...@googlegroups.com
D'oh
That's wat I get for trying to do long useful emails on my lunch break.

'RepRap' Matt
Sent from my iPhone 4

Michael Procter

Mar 21, 2011, 10:41:21 AM3/21/11
to notti...@googlegroups.com

I think it is actually to avoid an unfortunate 'bug' in David Hayward's
phone.

Michael

Dominic Morrow

Mar 21, 2011, 10:42:11 AM3/21/11
to notti...@googlegroups.com
... also it's the curse of the Arduino Sunday email... it seems impossible to keep them on topic

Note:

Became a discussion on consumables

became Windows Vs Linux or something...

Matt Lloyd

Mar 21, 2011, 10:51:39 AM3/21/11
to notti...@googlegroups.com
Back on trace then.
So dominic are we going to see some big track hacking??

'RepRap' Matt
Sent from my iPhone 4

Dominic Morrow

Mar 21, 2011, 10:58:52 AM3/21/11
to notti...@googlegroups.com
Well it's a question of batteries really... I'll have to mug an old lady to get the money to buy those hefty D cells...

I did think we'd bought some rechargeable ones (not sure). We DID buy some rechargeable AA and AAA cells but they have disappeared from the space :o(

I'll see what I can do!

Matt Lloyd

Mar 21, 2011, 11:18:46 AM3/21/11
to notti...@googlegroups.com
You don't need the big d cells for hacking. motors only need 3v min
i have a lipo's thats you can use.

'RepRap' Matt
Sent from my iPhone 4

Dominic Morrow

Mar 21, 2011, 11:20:20 AM3/21/11
to notti...@googlegroups.com
Awesome! I can't wait actually Big Trak hacking a'hoy!

Michael Erskine

Mar 21, 2011, 11:50:34 AM3/21/11
to notti...@googlegroups.com
On 21 March 2011 14:58, Dominic Morrow <notti...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Well it's a question of batteries really... I'll have to mug an old lady to
> get the money to buy those hefty D cells...
> I did think we'd bought some rechargeable ones (not sure). We DID buy some
> rechargeable AA and AAA cells but they have disappeared from the space :o(

I have 6 NiMh D cells you can borrow (they're from my winter bike
lights that will be retired for BST just in time!

Michael.

Russell

Mar 21, 2011, 11:57:30 AM3/21/11
to Nottingham Hackspace - Nottinghack

> Want to see just how far an arduino can go?
> >
> 'Repap' Matt
>
> On 21 March 2011 12:28, Dominic Morrow <nottingh...@googlemail.com> wrote:

Well does an arduino have more processing power than an apollo moon
lander?
Can we build one of those?

Matt Lloyd

Mar 21, 2011, 5:11:19 PM3/21/11
to notti...@googlegroups.com
Unsurprisingly the answer to the first is yes
http://www.galaxiki.org/web/main/_blog/all/build-your-own-nasa-apollo-landing-computer-no-kidding.shtml

As for number two sure why not.

'RepRap' Matt
Sent from my iPhone 4

James Hayward

Mar 22, 2011, 4:41:05 AM3/22/11
to Nottingham Hackspace - Nottinghack
One of my colleagues children (15 years old) is coming, with their dad
- they'll need a kit!

I've asked them to register on facebook as well.

On Mar 21, 9:11 pm, Matt Lloyd <dps....@gmail.com> wrote:
> Unsurprisingly the answer to the first is yeshttp://www.galaxiki.org/web/main/_blog/all/build-your-own-nasa-apollo...
>
> As for number two sure why not.
>
> 'RepRap' Matt
> Sent from my iPhone 4
>
> On 21 Mar 2011, at 15:57, Russell <russelljenkinsfe...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>

> >> Want to see just how far an arduino can go?
>
> >> 'Repap' Matt
>
> >> On 21 March 2011 12:28, Dominic Morrow <nottingh...@googlemail.com> wrote:
>
> > Well does an arduino have more processing power than an apollo moon
> > lander?
> > Can we build one of those?- Hide quoted text -

Dominic Morrow

Mar 22, 2011, 4:54:32 AM3/22/11
to notti...@googlegroups.com
Super. 1 kit or 2?

Sent from my iPhone

James Hayward

Mar 22, 2011, 5:01:04 AM3/22/11
to notti...@googlegroups.com

Just one, dad will mainly be moral support I think!

sent from my HTC Desire

Matt Lloyd

Mar 22, 2011, 5:08:17 AM3/22/11
to notti...@googlegroups.com
I think my mate James is coming for the 2.0. He should be bringing his bigger arduino tank.

Quick grab the nerf gun and pan tilt mount.

'RepRap' Matt
Sent from my iPhone 4

Russell

Mar 23, 2011, 9:12:26 AM3/23/11
to Nottingham Hackspace - Nottinghack

I'm getting excited about this now.

I'm installing Arduino on the laptop and getting my Bothertron sketch
transfered.

I still don't know how to do Processing. So much to learn.

It's going to be great.

Michael Erskine

Mar 23, 2011, 9:26:20 AM3/23/11
to notti...@googlegroups.com

Me too! I have a lot of gaps to fill in my knowledge of these
beasties! Rather than getting to grips with Processing I rather lazily
modified some of my existing Java applications to talk to my Arduino
sketches over serial -- which is probably exactly what Processing is
at the end of the day! I shall have a go at something Processing based
with you on Sunday Russell as I feel like I need to know more about
it.

Michael.

gmjhowe

Mar 24, 2011, 10:17:04 AM3/24/11
to Nottingham Hackspace - Nottinghack
So, seen as the wife is away on a field trip this weekend, I have
decided to come along to the workshop!

I look forward to learning some Arduino basics so I can then use it
for all sorts.

(I need something to power lighting and steam for a robot suite and
mercury bow rifle)

Russell

Mar 24, 2011, 9:09:23 PM3/24/11
to Nottingham Hackspace - Nottinghack

> (I need something to power lighting and steam for a robot suite and
> mercury bow rifle)

What are Robot Suites and Mercury Bow Rifles ?

Roger Light

Mar 25, 2011, 4:21:15 AM3/25/11
to notti...@googlegroups.com
I presume the mercury bow rifle in question is

http://gmjhowe.deviantart.com/art/Mercury-Bow-Sniper-Rifle-108709503?q=favby%3Ahapajedi%2F2941595&qo=43

But I'm not much wiser even given that link.

Cheers,

Roger

Roger Light

Mar 25, 2011, 4:29:20 AM3/25/11
to notti...@googlegroups.com

gmjhowe

Mar 25, 2011, 4:58:21 AM3/25/11
to Nottingham Hackspace - Nottinghack
Yes, I meant 'robot suit'

And that is the mercury bow in question.

Currently working on a version two of it, and I plan to have lights
and steam built in somehow. Figured an arduino might be a good idea.
Plan to eventually build the arduino itself into an ammo pack, that
allows me to use it on different props etc.

On Mar 25, 8:29 am, Roger Light <ro...@atchoo.org> wrote:
> >http://gmjhowe.deviantart.com/art/Mercury-Bow-Sniper-Rifle-108709503?...

Russell

Mar 25, 2011, 8:44:34 AM3/25/11
to Nottingham Hackspace - Nottinghack
Wow robot suits and mercury bows.
Great stuff and I'm looking forward to seeing how and arduino makes
'em go.

Michael Erskine

Mar 25, 2011, 9:20:48 AM3/25/11
to notti...@googlegroups.com
Wow! The Mercury Bow Rifle is both deadly and cool! For steam have you
thought of using those little pond/waterfeature "smoke" creators
available from Maplin? I don't know how much water is required but I'm
sure we could hack it.

Michael.

gmjhowe

Mar 25, 2011, 9:56:28 AM3/25/11
to Nottingham Hackspace - Nottinghack
I very much intend to use something like that, I want it to look like
the bow is dealing with cold materials, so a kinda drifting fog would
be pretty decent.

*goes to have a scoot on maplin*

gmjhowe

Mar 25, 2011, 10:08:34 AM3/25/11
to Nottingham Hackspace - Nottinghack
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/6071434/riflestocksketch.jpg

^ the new design if anyone is interested, I do not want to derail the
conversation too much though.

Michael Erskine

Mar 25, 2011, 10:09:05 AM3/25/11
to notti...@googlegroups.com
On 25 March 2011 13:56, gmjhowe <ho...@dr.com> wrote:
> I very much intend to use something like that, I want it to look like
> the bow is dealing with cold materials, so a kinda drifting fog would
> be pretty decent.
>
> *goes to have a scoot on maplin*

This is only £15 but I'm not totally sure how it does what it does!

http://www.maplin.co.uk/mini-fogger-mist-generator-35215

Ric Briney

Mar 25, 2011, 10:25:37 AM3/25/11
to notti...@googlegroups.com

I've looked in to these before, I believe it uses an sonic diaphragm to create tiny droplets of water which hang in the air like fog. I think the output of these units is very low though as its designed for constant use in a pond, so it may take a long time to build up to something you can see, but not sure.

Michael Erskine

Mar 25, 2011, 10:31:09 AM3/25/11
to notti...@googlegroups.com
On 25 March 2011 14:25, Ric Briney <rbr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I've looked in to these before, I believe it uses an sonic diaphragm to
> create tiny droplets of water which hang in the air like fog. I think the
> output of these units is very low though as its designed for constant use in
> a pond, so it may take a long time to build up to something you can see, but
> not sure.

Alternatively there's a £7.50 aerosol can of fog available which might
be easier to integrate. I'd expect that you'd be able to get a
smaller/cheaper can from a party supplies shop.

Dominic Morrow

Mar 25, 2011, 10:35:17 AM3/25/11
to notti...@googlegroups.com
If you can make that fog colder than the air around it, it'll drop downwards and sit at ankle level which (IMHO) would look cool... not sure what effect putting the can in the fridge/freezer would have no effect probably I think it would need to be chilled after it's propelled which is a bigger challenge!

James Hayward

Mar 25, 2011, 10:38:24 AM3/25/11
to notti...@googlegroups.com

It's less technical, but a piece of dry ice placed in water produces a lot of cold fog!

Can be difficult to get hold of though.

sent from my HTC Desire

gmjhowe

Mar 25, 2011, 10:45:23 AM3/25/11
to Nottingham Hackspace - Nottinghack
I think a small contained tank, with the fogger inside, after a set
time it shuts off, then refils if it gets low.

when triggered is fired, tube opens up to release some of the fog,
then seals up again.

Easy enough to convert it to run on DC opposed to AC?

On Mar 25, 2:38 pm, James Hayward <jhayward1...@gmail.com> wrote:
> It's less technical, but a piece of dry ice placed in water produces a lot
> of cold fog!
>
> Can be difficult to get hold of though.

> sent from my HTC Desire
> On 25 Mar 2011 14:35, "Dominic Morrow" <nottingh...@googlemail.com> wrote:
>

> > If you can make that fog colder than the air around it, it'll drop
> downwards
> > and sit at ankle level which (IMHO) would look cool... not sure what
> effect
> > putting the can in the fridge/freezer would have no effect probably I
> think
> > it would need to be chilled after it's propelled which is a bigger
> > challenge!

Michael Erskine

Mar 25, 2011, 11:47:41 AM3/25/11
to notti...@googlegroups.com
On 25 March 2011 14:45, gmjhowe <ho...@dr.com> wrote:
> I think a small contained tank, with the fogger inside, after a set
> time it shuts off, then refils if it gets low.
>
> when triggered is fired, tube opens up to release some of the fog,
> then seals up again.
>
> Easy enough to convert it to run on DC opposed to AC?

Hmmm, dunno! Dry ice is very cool stuff (yes, I know)...
http://mansfieldcryogenics.com/#/portable-dry-ice-unit/4545579399

I think we could make one of these!

Michael.

gmjhowe

Mar 28, 2011, 3:24:55 AM3/28/11
to Nottingham Hackspace - Nottinghack
To bring the topic back around to its original intent, I wanted to
make a quick note to say that it felt like the workshop went very well
yesterday.

Decent turn out, and a decent number of people enjoying learning
Arduino. I think a 2.0 only session might be a good idea, might it be
a good idea to run the next workshop 12-3 for beginners, then 3-5 for
advanced? I know we had the dual area, but I think people were set up
in the big room, they did not fancy moving everything back over to the
other side. Might encourage people if we stand there and say 'So, the
1.0 workshop is over, if you want to try and push your arduino a
little further, we are going to move over into the hackspace'

Anywho, well done to all involved, a tiring day, but an enjoyable one.