Using Gmail as SMTP for sending MLO reminder emails

Andrey Tkachuk (MLO)

Dec 4, 2009, 3:32:13 AM12/4/09
to MyLifeOrganized
reminder emails:
http://groups.google.com/group/mylifeorganized/browse_thread/thread/ae0449b740adbc9e/

qhamel just sent me more detailed instructions (Thanks qhamel!) :

------------------------
Here is a more detailed explanation on how to configure use MLO with
Gmail:

GMail as your SMTP server

GMail requires secure connections

If you want to configure MLO to use GMail as its SMTP server, you will
find that currently MLO does not support secure (TLS/STARTTLS)
connections for email. To work around this, you will need to run
another program (stunnel) to "wrap" MLO's connection to GMail. MLO
will then connect to stunnel, which will connect to gmail.

Download / Configure stunnel
Download the latest windows Stunnell installer and run the installer.
Install stunnel to the directory C:\Stunnel.

Inside the c:\Stunnel directory create a text file called
gmailsmtp.txt with the following content (8 lines).

; SMTP configuration for Gmail
output = SMTPgmail.log
taskbar = no
cert = stunnel.pem
client = yes
[ssmtp]
accept = 10.0.0.1:8025
connect = smtp.gmail.com:465

Change 10.0.0.1 to your computer's IP address or name. Do not use
"localhost" or 127.0.0.1 as that won't work. The best way is to go to
Control Panel and click on "System" and click on the Computer name
tab. Highlight and copy the full computer name for your PC.

Open a command prompt (cmd.exe) and navigate to the stunnel install
directory (CD C:\Stunnel). Enter the following 2 commands to run
stunnel as a Windows Service:

stunnel -install gmailsmtp.txt
net start stunnel

Now Configure MLO email settings

Now you need to configure MLO Email Settings to connect to stunnel.

Your SMTP server: Your computer name you just got off of the computer
name tab
Port: 8025
Check My server requires Authentication
Userid: your gmail address (joh...@gmail.com)
Password: your gmail password
Now press the "Test" button. If you configured everything correctly, a
test email will be sent. This test email will also show up inside your
gmail account in the "Sent Mail" folder.

qhamel
-------------

Mark Levison

Dec 4, 2009, 9:30:24 AM12/4/09
to mylifeorganized
Andrey - thanks - even better would be adding secure connections for email to MLO's. I don't want to have to run another process on my laptop just to send email reminders.

Cheers
Mark

kitus

Jan 5, 2010, 7:50:27 AM1/5/10
to MyLifeOrganized
Hey Mark,

I absolutely agree on that, my vote for this feature to be anabled
into mlo.

Thanks,

On 4 dic 2009, 15:30, Mark Levison <m...@mlevison.com> wrote:
> Andrey - thanks - even better would be adding secure connections for email
> to MLO's. I don't want to have to run another process on my laptop just to
> send email reminders.
>
> Cheers
> Mark
>
> On Fri, Dec 4, 2009 at 3:32 AM, Andrey Tkachuk (MLO) <
>

> for...@mylifeorganized.net> wrote:
> > reminder emails:
>

> >http://groups.google.com/group/mylifeorganized/browse_thread/thread/a...

> > Userid: your gmail address (john...@gmail.com)

> > Password: your gmail password
> > Now press the "Test" button. If you configured everything correctly, a
> > test email will be sent. This test email will also show up inside your
> > gmail account in the "Sent Mail" folder.
>
> > qhamel

> > mylifeorganiz...@googlegroups.com<mylifeorganized%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>

> > .
> > For more options, visit this group at
> >http://groups.google.com/group/mylifeorganized?hl=en.
>

>    *Mark Levison* | Co-Founder and Consultant -
> TheAgileConsortium<http://theagileconsortium.com/>| Agile
> Editor @ InfoQ <http://www.infoq.com/about.jsp>
> Blog <http://www.notesfromatooluser.com/> |
> Twitter<http://twitter.com/mlevison>| Office: (613) 761-9821

> Recent Entries: Agile Mailing Lists a

> Why use an Agile
> Coach<http://www.notesfromatooluser.com/2009/11/why-use-an-agile-coach.html>

kitus

Jan 21, 2010, 4:00:59 PM1/21/10
to MyLifeOrganized
Hello there,

any update on this?

thanks

On 5 ene, 13:50, kitus <marc.garcia.ma...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey Mark,
>
> I absolutely agree on that, my vote for this feature to be anabled
> into mlo.
>
> Thanks,
>
> On 4 dic 2009, 15:30, Mark Levison <m...@mlevison.com> wrote:
>
> > Andrey - thanks - even better would be adding secure connections for email
> > to MLO's. I don't want to have to run another process on my laptop just to
> > send email reminders.
>
> > Cheers
> > Mark
>
> > On Fri, Dec 4, 2009 at 3:32 AM, Andrey Tkachuk (MLO) <
>
> > for...@mylifeorganized.net> wrote:

> > > reminder emails:
>
> > >http://groups.google.com/group/mylifeorganized/browse_thread/thread/a...
>
> > > qhamel just sent me more detailed instructions (Thanks qhamel!) :
>
> > > ------------------------
> > > Here is a more detailed explanation on how to configure use MLO with
> > >Gmail:
>
> > >GMailas your SMTP server
>

> > >GMailrequires secure connections
>
> > > If you want to configure MLO to useGMailas its SMTP server, you will

> > > find that currently MLO does not support secure (TLS/STARTTLS)
> > > connections for email. To work around this, you will need to run

> > > another program (stunnel) to "wrap" MLO's connection toGMail. MLO

> > >gmailaccount in the "Sent Mail" folder.

Peter Conradie

Jul 21, 2013, 12:43:48 AM7/21/13
to mylifeo...@googlegroups.com
The stunnel work around may have worked in the past but does not work presently. There have been many requests for the seamless integration of the Gmail capability dating back to November 2009. Is this feature on the todo list yet ? I am sure many users would value the addition of built-in Gmail support.

Rob Feeny

Feb 15, 2016, 5:47:27 AM2/15/16
to MyLifeOrganized
I'd like to bump this as well, I'm trying to get back into MLO and running into endless problems.

BOC

Mar 6, 2016, 10:55:39 AM3/6/16
to MyLifeOrganized
I started looking into this in early Feb as well.  I emailed tech support and received the following reply:

At the moment the app currently supports mail servers with on non-secure SMTPs only. If the mail server you are trying to set up in MLO Email settings use secure SMTP, mail notification functionality will not work on MLO.
We are working on this area improvements.

Harvey Zhang

Dec 21, 2016, 3:37:59 AM12/21/16
to MyLifeOrganized
What if I have to use a Socks5(127.0.0.1:1080) or http(127.0.0.1:8118) proxy to connect to gmail?
How should stunnel be configured?

Jamel Toms

Feb 12, 2018, 10:47:11 AM2/12/18
to MyLifeOrganized
You can use mailgun.com to get this working pretty simply and it's free for under 10,000 emails.