Accessing Secnews

Jay Garcia

Jul 1, 2008, 6:48:34 PM7/1/08
Ok, seems like the certificate authority isn't recognized by the old
secnews software.

Here are the instructions from Venkat (AOL Guru):

This is a test posting to netscape.mozilla.thunderbird newsgroup using
secnews.netscape.com (SSL port 563). Let us see if this works.

The new SSL server cert that has been installed on secnews.netscape.com
news server has been issued by "AOL Member CA" and is valid from Jun 29,
2008 to Jun 29, 2010.

You might have to install the following 2 certificates in your browser
(NNTP client) in order to be able to access secnews.netscape.com on SSL
port 563:

https://pki-info.aol.com/AOLMSPKI/AOL_Member_CA.der
https://pki-info.aol.com/AOL/AmericaOnline1.der

Once you click on each one of the .der files above, you will see a
"Downloading Certificate" prompt, where you'll have to select/check the
option "Trust this CA to identify web sites" and install the certificate.

When accessing the newsgroups on secnews.netscape.com, if you get an
error as follows:

Thunderbird/Seamonkey can't connect securely to secnews.netscape.com
because the site uses a security protocol which isn't enabled.

Then, solution is to edit the configuration ("about:config" in the
location/address bar in Seamonkey or
Tools->Options->Advanced->General->Config Editor in Thunderbird) and enable:

1) "security.ssl3.rsa_rc4_40_md5" (change to "True")
2) "security.enable_ssl2" (change to "True")

--
Jay Garcia Netscape Champion
UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org

Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo

Jul 1, 2008, 7:04:11 PM7/1/08

I can access and post without the certificates

help!!!! Emails to me may become public

http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

Irwin Greenwald

Jul 1, 2008, 8:38:25 PM7/1/08

Same here.

--
Irwin

Jay Garcia

Jul 1, 2008, 11:51:23 PM7/1/08

Jul 2, 2008, 12:03:54 AM7/2/08

I do now!

Jay Garcia

Jul 2, 2008, 12:06:16 AM7/2/08

Jul 2, 2008, 3:47:02 AM7/2/08

I have those two set to True, and have no problems accessing or posting
in secnews. I also kept the old newsgroup listing (account)

seems that either those new certificates are automatic, or simply not
required

Message has been deleted

Jay Garcia

Jul 2, 2008, 10:27:37 AM7/2/08

Jul 2, 2008, 12:16:43 PM7/2/08

Jul 2, 2008, 2:54:17 PM7/2/08
But you might not be able to post there without the certificates.

If it's "fixed", don't "break it"! mailto:pjo...@kimbanet.com
Mac G4-500, OSX.3.9, 1.5GB Mac 17" PowerBook G4-1.67 GHz, 2 GB OSX.4.11

Moz Champion (Dan)

Jul 2, 2008, 2:58:08 PM7/2/08

I posted there without such

Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo

Jul 2, 2008, 3:53:02 PM7/2/08

and the same here.

Jay Garcia

Jul 2, 2008, 5:14:28 PM7/2/08

Jul 2, 2008, 6:32:48 PM7/2/08

Jul 3, 2008, 9:15:54 AM7/3/08
On 03.07.2008 07:32, Melchert Fruitema wrote:

> On 02-07-2008 23:48 CET, Phillip Jones, CET composed this enchanting
> statement:
>> <x> How do you import cert to TB?
>>
> If you have to: click the Import button in the Certificate Manager tabs
> (see Tools/Options/Certificates/View Certificates).

Works, importing that is, but not necessary.

clay

Jul 3, 2008, 11:22:26 PM7/3/08
Jay Garcia wrote:

>> My umpteen year old work profile worked without tweaking. No joy from
>> the newer install home box.
>> Interesting, made a test post in testing. Wouldn't let me post with only
>> a Subject. Had to put something in the body for the post to be accepted.
>> This a new feature?
>
> The 40 bit encryption block was only added in the TB 2.0.0.xx versions,
> don't remember which one started it as well as the later Seamonkey
> versions. If you're using an older TB or SM or Mozilla for that matter
> then you don't need to tweak the setting(s) in about:config.

Home box= Version 1.5.0.14ubu (20080306)
The settings are there and tweaked...
Still can't get in. 'Connection to server secnews... timed out.'
It worked before the expiration.

Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo

Jul 3, 2008, 11:48:17 PM7/3/08

are you using port 563 and is SSL checked?

clay

Jul 4, 2008, 1:18:35 AM7/4/08
Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
> clay wrote:
>>> The 40 bit encryption block was only added in the TB 2.0.0.xx versions,
>>> don't remember which one started it as well as the later Seamonkey
>>> versions. If you're using an older TB or SM or Mozilla for that matter
>>> then you don't need to tweak the setting(s) in about:config.
>>>

>> Home box= Version 1.5.0.14ubu (20080306)
>> The settings are there and tweaked...
>> Still can't get in. 'Connection to server secnews... timed out.'
>> It worked before the expiration.
>
> are you using port 563 and is SSL checked?

Yup...

Jay Garcia

Jul 4, 2008, 8:37:52 AM7/4/08

Jul 5, 2008, 3:58:45 AM7/5/08

Jay, I'm probably just burning up my Stupid Question For The Month at a
very early date, but what's the advantage to the user of using the
secnews server?

--
Blinky
Is your ISP dropping Usenet?

Moz Champion (Dan)

Jul 5, 2008, 5:55:12 AM7/5/08

Why use secnews?

There is little spam on secnews, tho there isnt much on mozilla.org,
there is some

Secnews is not available to Google Groups

The 'monitoring' on secnews, at least for the help groups, is done
somewhat differently than the monitoring that occurs on mozilla. We
also, at least for the multimedia group, provide a 'chat type'
atmosphere to assist in the attraction of 'multimedia artistic types'.

On Secnews, there is no problem or concern with posting binary images.
You can use netscape.test.multimedia for screen shots if need be, as
well as multimedia 'help' from other users.

On Secnews, OT traffic is not shuffled off to another newsgroup, we
request that it be marked OT in the subject, but besides that, it stays
in the group it originated in.

Where traffic warrents it, there are seperate groups for different OSes
on Secnews. Again, not a major deal, but nice regardless.

Message has been deleted

Jay Garcia

Jul 5, 2008, 8:39:31 AM7/5/08

Jul 5, 2008, 12:32:20 PM7/5/08

8. the Purple Hippo isn't banned.
9. there's no Mozilla Bully and his gang

Moz Champion (Dan)

Jul 5, 2008, 12:55:50 PM7/5/08

I was listing reasons why Secnews was a place to go, not a place to
avoid <grin>

Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo

Jul 5, 2008, 1:09:30 PM7/5/08

and I was just adding to that list.

Moz Champion (Dan)

Jul 5, 2008, 2:10:08 PM7/5/08

the purple hippo isn't banned... yet <grin>

and the Mozilla Bully and his gang can't replace Cap'n Dan and his crew

Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T

Jul 5, 2008, 2:20:46 PM7/5/08
Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:
-------------------------snip-------------------------

> the purple hippo isn't banned... yet <grin>
>
> and the Mozilla Bully and his gang can't replace Cap'n Dan and his crew

*Woo Hoo*!!

Jay Garcia

Jul 5, 2008, 3:32:43 PM7/5/08
On 05.07.2008 13:20, Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T wrote:

>> the purple hippo isn't banned... yet <grin>
>>
>> and the Mozilla Bully and his gang can't replace Cap'n Dan and his crew
>
> *Woo Hoo*!!

Does this mean now that this server is hereby "abandoned" ?? <wry grin>

Blinky the Shark

Jul 5, 2008, 3:06:47 PM7/5/08

Thanks for the addenda, Jay.

Blinky the Shark

Jul 5, 2008, 3:05:38 PM7/5/08
Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:
> Blinky the Shark wrote:

>> Jay, I'm probably just burning up my Stupid Question For The Month at a
>> very early date, but what's the advantage to the user of using the
>> secnews server?
>
> Why use secnews?
>

> There is little spam on secnews, tho there isnt much on mozilla.org,
> there is some
>
> Secnews is not available to Google Groups
>
> The 'monitoring' on secnews, at least for the help groups, is done
> somewhat differently than the monitoring that occurs on mozilla. We
> also, at least for the multimedia group, provide a 'chat type'
> atmosphere to assist in the attraction of 'multimedia artistic types'.
>
> On Secnews, there is no problem or concern with posting binary images.
> You can use netscape.test.multimedia for screen shots if need be, as
> well as multimedia 'help' from other users.
>
> On Secnews, OT traffic is not shuffled off to another newsgroup, we
> request that it be marked OT in the subject, but besides that, it stays
> in the group it originated in.
>
> Where traffic warrents it, there are seperate groups for different OSes
> on Secnews. Again, not a major deal, but nice regardless.

Thanks, Dan.

Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T

Jul 5, 2008, 7:16:26 PM7/5/08
Jay Garcia wrote:
> On 05.07.2008 13:20, Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T wrote:

Only so far as M T M M goes except for some limited use.

Blinky the Shark

Jul 5, 2008, 8:41:08 PM7/5/08

I'm lost. I added secnews.netscape.com. I'm using port 563.
Everything's dandy. Except I don't see any netscape.mozilla* hierarchy.
I don't see a TB group. I don't see a FF group. The hell am I doing
wrong?

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo

Jul 6, 2008, 12:14:09 AM7/6/08

Blinky the Shark

Jul 6, 2008, 1:28:56 AM7/6/08

Okay, I did that stuff for the certs and the advanced config and
refreshed the groups list from the server.

It apparently worked -- if there are only seven non-dev newsgroups in
the whole netscape.mozilla* hierarchy.

Phillip Jones, CET

Jul 6, 2008, 3:27:10 PM7/6/08
Jay Garcia wrote:

> On 01.07.2008 18:04, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:

Have bad news report. In SeaMonkey 2 a1pre even if the changes above are
made netscape.test.multimedia doesn't exist. there is one called
test.moderated but not test Multimedia

Phillip M. Jones, CET |MEMBER:VPEA (LIFE) ETA-I, NESDA,ISCET, Sterling
Martinsville Va 24112 |pjo...@kimbanet.com, ICQ11269732, AIM pjonescet

If it's "fixed", don't "break it"!

mailto:pjo...@kimbanet.com

<http://www.vpea.org>

Phillip Jones, CET

Jul 6, 2008, 3:56:44 PM7/6/08
In SM 2apre1 despite adjusting those items and install certs.

the use ssl item bounces of as soon as you close out of the window
either by clicking okay or by simple switching to a different adjustment

Blinky the Shark

Jul 6, 2008, 5:58:27 PM7/6/08

I don't see test.moderated (or netscape.test.moderated, if that is what
you mean) on the secnews server with TB, but I do see netscape.test.
(And netscape.test.secnews2.)

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

clay

Jul 7, 2008, 11:44:15 AM7/7/08

Gotta be the firewall. Fired up a Windows box and it couldn't connect
either.
Poked around the firewall but didn't see anything blocking port 563.
Gonna have to dig some more and rtfm.

Blinky the Shark

Jul 7, 2008, 2:08:48 PM7/7/08

squaredancer wrote:
> On 06.07.2008 07:28, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Blinky the
> Shark to generate the following:? :

>> It apparently worked -- if there are only seven non-dev newsgroups in
>> the whole netscape.mozilla* hierarchy.
>

> click the update button next to the server-list!

<sigh>

What is unclear about "and refreshed the groups list from server", above?

That's how I got the groups I do show. I will repeat *this* for you, as
well: there are only seven non-dev newsgroups showing in the whole
netscape.mozilla* hierarchy.

Is that really all there are?

Message has been deleted

Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T

Jul 7, 2008, 7:09:35 PM7/7/08
squaredancer wrote:
> On 06.07.2008 07:28, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Blinky the
> Shark to generate the following:? :
> click the update button next to the server-list!
>
> reg
Yep did that.

Think I am going to have to wait a while. they have a a lot of stuff
turned of. And despite having the new FF3 Gecko rendering engine is
slower than when I was using SeaMonkey 1.1x on my old 512k connection.

FF3 is 10 times faster. They've got a lot of work to do. This puppy
won't be ready for prime time for another two years.

If it's "fixed", don't "break it"! mailto:pjo...@kimbanet.com

The Real Bev

Jul 7, 2008, 9:21:20 PM7/7/08
Jay Garcia wrote:

> On 02.07.2008 02:47, Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:
>> Jay Garcia wrote:

>>> Same question I just asked Peter ... do you still have those two lines
>>> set to "true" in about:config ?
>>
>> I have those two set to True, and have no problems accessing or posting
>> in secnews. I also kept the old newsgroup listing (account)
>>
>> seems that either those new certificates are automatic, or simply not
>> required
>
> Set to "true" is what is allowing you access.

And making sure the port is set to 563. No idea how it got set wrong,
but it did.

> The new certs do nothing.

Lazy swine.

When your only tool is a hammer, everything looks like a thumb.

Blinky the Shark

Jul 7, 2008, 9:32:43 PM7/7/08
squaredancer wrote:
> On 07.07.2008 20:08, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Blinky the
> ohhhh - so THAT is what you meant....

And clearly fucking stated.

> but "yes" - there are only 7+1 and, of the 7, Firebird is a bit obsolete!

Okay.

Daniel

Jul 8, 2008, 4:25:01 AM7/8/08

Just Netscape Champs to look out for and listen too, Ayy Jay!!

Daniel

Ralph Fox

Jul 8, 2008, 6:08:40 AM7/8/08
On Sun, 06 Jul 2008 15:27:10 -0400, in message <cKWdnU_r2oATgezV...@mozilla.org>,
Phillip Jones, CET wrote:

>>> I can access and post without the certificates
>>>
>> But do you still have those lines "true" in about:config ?
>>

> Have bad news report. In SeaMonkey 2 a1pre even if the changes above are
> made netscape.test.multimedia doesn't exist. there is one called
> test.moderated but not test Multimedia

There are two different news servers hosted on secnews.netscape.com
They are normally accessed with different settings...

A. Port = 119
"[ ] Use secure connection (SSL)" -- not checked

B. Port = 563
"[X] Use secure connection (SSL)" -- checked

Server 'A' has newsgroup "netscape.test.moderated" but not "netscape.test.multimedia"
Server 'B' has newsgroup "netscape.test.multimedia"

It appears that you are communicating with server 'A'.

Are your settings as in 'B'?
If so, then do you have two news server accounts configured in
SM with the same domain "secnews.netscape.com", the other account
set up as in 'A'? In this case, try changing one of the two
domains from "secnews.netscape.com" to "secnews.aoltw.net".

Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T

Jul 8, 2008, 10:29:19 AM7/8/08

That's the problem.
on SM a Pre 1 trying to set use ssl clicking on it switches to 563 but
as soon as you click and dismiss the Preference window it bounces back
to 119.

So SM for now is severely broken so far a Mail and news goes. And the
web browser portion is pokier than Communicator 4 at the current pace I
don't see it as a viable replacement for 1x for two years or more.

If it's "fixed", don't "break it"! mailto:pjo...@kimbanet.com

Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo

Jul 8, 2008, 10:45:15 AM7/8/08
Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T wrote:
> That's the problem.
> on SM a Pre 1 trying to set use ssl clicking on it switches to 563 but
> as soon as you click and dismiss the Preference window it bounces back
> to 119.
>
> So SM for now is severely broken so far a Mail and news goes. And the
> web browser portion is pokier than Communicator 4 at the current pace I
> don't see it as a viable replacement for 1x for two years or more.

actually, you're problem is SMpre1. Its not an
official public release. Stick with SM 1.1.11

Jay Garcia

Jul 8, 2008, 6:14:34 PM7/8/08

Jul 8, 2008, 6:17:26 PM7/8/08

Jul 8, 2008, 6:18:28 PM7/8/08

Then it's a bug in SM 2 which is not a release.

Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo

Jul 8, 2008, 7:02:04 PM7/8/08

if you have port 563 configured, then you also have to
have SSL checked, correct?

Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T

Jul 8, 2008, 7:09:21 PM7/8/08
Jay Garcia wrote:
> On 07.07.2008 18:09, Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T wrote:

Try setting up newsgroups for one particular those that use
authentication and others needing ssl turned on

Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T

Jul 8, 2008, 7:10:10 PM7/8/08
Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
I check them but they don't stick in SM2

If it's "fixed", don't "break it"! mailto:pjo...@kimbanet.com

Jay Garcia

Jul 8, 2008, 10:23:54 PM7/8/08

Jul 8, 2008, 10:45:20 PM7/8/08

Jul 9, 2008, 12:12:08 PM7/9/08

Whether I was told one way or the other . The fact is in SM 2 for now
setting SSL is broken (or not turned on) I I can check SSL al day long
till the cows come home and the setting does not stick.

There are many items that do not stick and in order to make them do one
thing or the other you have to go to about:config and set them.

Another example I have one newsgroup I go to on annexcafe.com that has
to have authentication turned.

But to make that work I must go to about:config and turn that on. But
then if its turned on its turned on for everything. So there is much
that is severely broken in SM2 as I said it will be 2 years before they
get all the bugs out.

I'll just test it from time to time and see what happens.

If it's "fixed", don't "break it"! mailto:pjo...@kimbanet.com

Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T

Jul 9, 2008, 12:45:51 PM7/9/08
Jay Garcia wrote:
> Phil was instructed to tick the SSL box to make sure that 563 was
> entered. May not have all been in the same post but Phil has been around
> secnews almost since day-1.

You got that right!

what I was trying to get across was that ssl/563 is broken in SM2.

I sett all the stuff for SSL2 and the RC_40 as in the message posted on
this site. by jay.

So its not settings. I even imported the certificates.

Like a bunch of other stuff in SM2 is broken or not turned on yet. and
even tick the item about show the settings for SM1 that haven't been
ported yet and set after ticking that. still no joy.

So for now if any were going to try SM in Secnews forget it.

Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo

Jul 9, 2008, 12:55:01 PM7/9/08
Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T wrote:

what happens in a new profile?

Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T

Jul 9, 2008, 1:01:24 PM7/9/08
>> So for now if any were going to try SM in secnews forget it.

> what happens in a new profile?

When you open SM2 for the first time it creates a new profile. you have
option to import items from SM1, ff or TB or start fresh I opted to
start fresh.
And on the Mac the profiles folder has been moved from User Folder (your
name or what ever name you gave computer) > Library > Mozilla > Profile
> salted folder (folder thats generated with random numbers and letters.

To Userfolder> Library > Applications Support > SeaMonkey > Profile >
Salted folder. So when items are imported they have no affect on the
original.

So its a brand new pristine Profile Folder

Jay Garcia

Jul 9, 2008, 9:30:18 AM7/9/08

Jul 9, 2008, 9:00:17 PM7/9/08

Maybe you can get the settings for secnews from prefs.js and copy them to
user.js. If the settings don't stick when you close SM it won't matter because
they will reset when you restart SM. Just a workaround, you can comment out the
line in user.js and see what happens after an update or upgrade.

--
G. R. Woodring

Jay Garcia

Jul 9, 2008, 11:25:22 PM7/9/08

Jul 10, 2008, 2:09:16 PM7/10/08
what I am in process of doing is setup everything correct in SM1.x Then
I will remove everything to to with SM2 and have it re import and see if
that works.

But that only mask the Problems if it does. By the way according to the
time stamp in the message I am posting to you are operating about 28
days into the future. If you'll look at the top of this and trace all of
your post the show 08 07 2008 which mean August 07, 2008

Daniel

Jul 11, 2008, 12:41:50 AM7/11/08
Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T wrote:
> Jay Garcia wrote:
>> On 09.07.2008 11:12, Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T wrote:

<snip>

> But that only mask the Problems if it does. By the way according to the
> time stamp in the message I am posting to you are operating about 28
> days into the future. If you'll look at the top of this and trace all of
> your post the show 08 07 2008 which mean August 07, 2008

Phillip, this is a peculiarity of the Yanks, where they abbreviate July
8 to 7/8 where most sensible people would write 8/7. When did the planes
hit the World Trade Centre and Pentagon in 2001, a.k.a 9/11?? On the
eleventh of September or the ninth of November?? (I wonder if it is
another way of showing their dislike for the English peoples (in olden
times), who would, I think, write July 8th as 8/7 if they were to
abbreviate it. Why do the Americans drive on the right side of the
road?? ..... Because the Brits drive on the left!!)

Daniel

Blinky the Shark

Jul 11, 2008, 4:47:29 AM7/11/08

July 8
| |
7 8

Yep. 7/8 (July/8) makes perfect sense for expressing July 8.

Message has been deleted

Jay Garcia

Jul 11, 2008, 8:51:24 AM7/11/08

Jul 11, 2008, 8:54:38 AM7/11/08

Jul 11, 2008, 11:55:08 AM7/11/08

I thought they drove on the left. Something that we in
North America did once.

Blinky the Shark

Jul 11, 2008, 2:07:22 PM7/11/08
squaredancer wrote:
> On 11.07.2008 10:47, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Blinky the
> Shark to generate the following:? :
> I always have to wait until the DAY goes over 12, to see if that
> position in a geven date is the month *or* the day
> Anyways - writing out July 8th *OR* 8th July wouldn't kill anyone, would
> it??

No, but you don't seem me griping about the different customs, either. :)

Jay Garcia

Jul 11, 2008, 8:36:46 PM7/11/08

Jul 11, 2008, 10:51:39 PM7/11/08
On Fri, 11 Jul 2008 19:36:46 -0500
Jay Garcia <J...@JayNOSPAMGarcia.com> wrote:

> Oops .. left .. yup .. I've been driving since 1958 and I've never
> seen anyone, other than drunks, drive on the left unless they were in
> reverse. :-)

If you find a place to watch lower Magazine Street on almost any day
of the week, you can see me do it stone-cold sober in third gear, maybe
fourth. ;) The next occurrence will be coming up within the hour.

(Ybjre Zntnmvar Fgerrg vf n bar-jnl fgerrg jvgu gjb ynarf.)

Jay Garcia

Jul 11, 2008, 11:43:36 PM7/11/08

> >> Oops .. left .. yup .. I've been driving since 1958 and I've never
> >> seen anyone, other than drunks, drive on the left unless they were
> >> in reverse. :-)
> >
> > If you find a place to watch lower Magazine Street on almost any day
> > of the week, you can see me do it stone-cold sober in third gear,
> > maybe fourth. ;) The next occurrence will be coming up within the
> > hour.
> >
> > (Ybjre Zntnmvar Fgerrg vf n bar-jnl fgerrg jvgu gjb ynarf.)
>
> Hmmm, lower Magazine .. da Zoo .. har

Heh, that's the upper end of Magazine. I meant the stretch between
Sophie Wright Place (near Jackson) and the CBD. My timing was off,
though -- I'm going now.

Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo

Jul 12, 2008, 1:21:56 AM7/12/08

Daniel

Jul 12, 2008, 7:00:24 AM7/12/08

Blinky, expressing July 8 as July 8 DOES make perfect sense.

but not July 8 as 7/8. Might to you, Blinky (where where you born/bred,
Blinky?? or, maybe, watched a lot of U.S. T.V.??), but to a lot of the
world, it's confusing, to say the least.

If we were talking about the eleventh of September in the year 2001,
would a U.S.A. national (gee, that's difficult, but trying to avoid
using the term Yank.) express this as 9/11/2001 or 11/9/2001??

How would the French express it, or the Germans, I wonder??? Other
nationalities??

Daniel

Daniel

Jul 12, 2008, 7:22:03 AM7/12/08

Down near the bottom of this wikipedia link there is a link to a google
aerial map of the I-8 freeway east of Yuma, Az. I've seen street signs
warning of slippery road surface where the right tyre track crosses the
left tyre track, and it looks weird, but to see a road/highway where the
carriage ways cross over is crazy!!

Daniel
(interesting!! when I went to send this, the spell checker stopped at
"tyre". Looking up my "Australian Concise Oxford Dictionary" says tyre
is a US word, so how come my English-US spell checker complained?? Bah -
Computers - Bah!)

Jay Garcia

Jul 12, 2008, 10:47:30 AM7/12/08

Jul 12, 2008, 10:52:56 AM7/12/08

Jul 12, 2008, 11:05:23 AM7/12/08
On 11.07.2008 23:22, »Q« wrote:

>> > If you find a place to watch lower Magazine Street on almost any day
>> > of the week, you can see me do it stone-cold sober in third gear,
>> > maybe fourth. ;) The next occurrence will be coming up within the
>> > hour.
>> >
>> > (Ybjre Zntnmvar Fgerrg vf n bar-jnl fgerrg jvgu gjb ynarf.)
>>
>> Hmmm, lower Magazine .. da Zoo .. har
>
> Heh, that's the upper end of Magazine. I meant the stretch between
> Sophie Wright Place (near Jackson) and the CBD. My timing was off,
> though -- I'm going now.

I'm thinking "Lower Garden District" which is the furthest away from
Canal St. and is actually in UPTOWN New Orleans (Boundary: Magazine, St.
Charles Ave, Jackson Ave, Louisiana Ave) ... Depends on where you start
from for us "older" generation residents. It even confuses the born and
bred here locals unless you live in that section and then most who do
don't have a clue about most anything anyways. 8-)

Think in terms of "Across Town" or "Downtown / Uptown", "Midcity",
"Gerttown", "Bucktown", etc. Or even the song "Goin DOWN to da Audubon
Zoo where dey all axed for you". :-D

By da way, how's ya mominem?

Moz Champion (Dan)

Jul 12, 2008, 11:05:57 AM7/12/08

Just coming out of downtown Montreal, where Autoroute (think Interstate)
15 joins with the 20 and meets the Ville Marie expresssway (720), the
westbound lanes of the 720/20 end up on the south of the eastbound for
several miles, and then switch back to normal

Ed Mullen

Jul 12, 2008, 1:12:57 PM7/12/08

Usage in the U.S.A. would be:

9/11/01
or
9/11/2001

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net

Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T

Jul 12, 2008, 2:22:06 PM7/12/08

I think I gave an answer to possibly this thread, where I believe when
done this way by people in the US that they have a secret wish to be in
Europe. I also said I can't even afford to look at a catalog of Europe
much less go to Europe. so if I've got to live in the US I might as well
speak and write my dates like a US citizen. :-)
So I agree with ya Daniel.

Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T

Jul 12, 2008, 2:26:07 PM7/12/08
What I was referring to is someone posted 8-7-2008 which to me is august
the 7 th. and some one else had 9-7-200 which was sept 7-2008 both in
the future.

Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T

Jul 12, 2008, 2:31:14 PM7/12/08
according to some one in the thread I am now responding:

squaredancer wrote:
> On 11.07.2008 10:47, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Blinky the
Shark to generate the following:? :

So he is posting in November 7, 2008.

Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo

Jul 12, 2008, 2:40:43 PM7/12/08

that is just you. 8-7-2008 is 8th of July. And
9-7-2008 is the 9th of July. It does get confusing
until you see 13-7-2008 then you know the middle number
is July.

Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T

Jul 12, 2008, 2:41:06 PM7/12/08

When French, or Germans or Polish, or Italians talk in their native
tongue do the say when asked what day is it.

This is the 12th day of March 2008 taking over a minute to say it when
You can say Its March 12 2008 Three words. To me the first come across
as Stuff, prime and Proper., putting on airs, trying show how smart you
think you are. While the second way get the job done, small and compact.

Its really done just to disassociate others from American , which most
of the other world look down on. As crude, and rude, or possibly jealous
of because some may not have some of the perks in life that are
available to some US citizens.

Its all a bunch of silliness.

Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T

Jul 12, 2008, 2:45:32 PM7/12/08
That's right. Theft drive in the left lane with the steering wheel on
the right.

where in the US we drive on the right with steering to the left. The
only exception to the rule is Post Office trucks drive on the right with
Steering on the right so that they don't have to get out of seat cross
over and put the mail in mail box.

»Q«

Jul 12, 2008, 4:00:58 PM7/12/08
On Sat, 12 Jul 2008 10:05:23 -0500
Jay Garcia <J...@JayNOSPAMGarcia.com> wrote:

> I'm thinking "Lower Garden District" which is the furthest away from
> Canal St. and is actually in UPTOWN New Orleans (Boundary: Magazine,
> St. Charles Ave, Jackson Ave, Louisiana Ave) ... Depends on where you
> start from for us "older" generation residents. It even confuses the
> born and bred here locals unless you live in that section and then
> most who do don't have a clue about most anything anyways. 8-)

Hmm. Both are in Uptown, and The Garden District has those boundaries,
but the Lower Garden District is on the downriver side of Jackson. I'm
pretty sure about this, having lived for a few years in the Lower
Garden District. (Now I live on the upper edge of the Irish Channel.)

> Think in terms of "Across Town" or "Downtown / Uptown", "Midcity",
> "Gerttown", "Bucktown", etc. Or even the song "Goin DOWN to da Audubon
> Zoo where dey all axed for you". :-D

I've only heard up and down to refer to directions relative to the
river, as in up and down river. The further from the river I get, the
less up and down make sense. But I'm ok, as long as nobody tries to
use N/S/E/W directions. I only know which way north is if I'm in
view of Lee's statue. ;)

It is loading more messages.