[ANN] EclipseMozilla RCP Component

Thomas Derflinger

May 1, 2008, 3:10:22 AM5/1/08
Hello,

EclipseMozilla (http://www.eclipsemozilla.org) has released the first
milestone of its browser component.

It can be used to embed the whole Mozilla rendering engine in Eclipse
RCP applications.

As such you get a great open source browser component that works on
Windows, Linux, and MacOS for your RCP application.

Thus, Mozilla is further spread to the Eclipse world!

Feedback is greatly appreciated.

Thanks and best regards,
-Thomas Derflinger

Melchert Fruitema

May 1, 2008, 6:34:39 AM5/1/08
On 01-05-2008 09:10 CET, Thomas Derflinger composed this enchanting
statement:

Congratulations. However, you did incorrectly assume that I know what
Eclipse RCP is or stands for.

--
Kind regards,
Melchert

Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo

May 1, 2008, 1:03:46 PM5/1/08

after looking at the site, I still don't know either.

help!!!! Emails to me may become public

http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

Nir

May 1, 2008, 2:37:54 PM5/1/08
Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo said the following On 05/01/2008 10:33 PM:
> Melchert Fruitema wrote:

>> Congratulations. However, you did incorrectly assume that I know what
>> Eclipse RCP is or stands for.
>>

> after looking at the site, I still don't know either.

"http://wiki.eclipse.org/index.php/Rich_Client_Platform"

Michael Kaply

May 1, 2008, 3:19:59 PM5/1/08

This functionality has been available for a while.

http://www.eclipse.org/swt/faq.php#howusemozilla

I'm unclear as to why you implemented it in a new way?

Or are you using the code we already wrote?

Mike Kaply

Thomas Derflinger

May 1, 2008, 4:12:04 PM5/1/08
Hi Mike,

EclipseMozilla completely embeds Mozilla. That means you do not need to
have any Firefox or Mozilla pre-installed on the system.
So you have some plugins that contain xulrunner.
The advantage of that is that you have complete control over the browser
you want to use in your RCP application.

Also, EclipseMozilla contains an editor with back, forward, refresh
controls and an input line to enter the URL, just like a real browser.

That´s another thing the SWT browser component does not provide.

Also, we plan to enhance EclipseMozilla with more functionality in the
future (see
http://eclipsemozilla.netcipia.net/xwiki/bin/view/Main/Milestones)

Regards,
-Thomas

Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo

May 1, 2008, 4:56:46 PM5/1/08

Daniel

May 1, 2008, 8:14:31 PM5/1/08
Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:

<snip>

Are you trying to Hijack this thread, Grant??

Daniel

Jay Garcia

May 1, 2008, 8:44:49 PM5/1/08
On 01.05.2008 12:03, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:

> after looking at the site, I still don't know either.

Eclipse RCP = Eclipse Rich Client Program

http://www.cjug.org/presentations/2005/Sep01west/eclipse_rcp.pdf

--
Jay Garcia Netscape Champion
UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org

Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo

May 1, 2008, 8:53:55 PM5/1/08
Jay Garcia wrote:
> On 01.05.2008 12:03, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:

gotcha. Thanks

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Stanimir Stamenkov

May 2, 2008, 6:37:37 PM5/2/08
Thu, 01 May 2008 14:19:59 -0500, /Michael Kaply/:

> This functionality has been available for a while.
>
> http://www.eclipse.org/swt/faq.php#howusemozilla

Is it possible to replace Internet Explorer with Mozilla as internal
Web browser in the Eclipse IDE on Windows this way?

--
Stanimir

Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T

May 2, 2008, 8:39:13 PM5/2/08
squaredancer wrote:
> On 01.05.2008 19:03, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Peter Potamus
> the Purple Hippo to generate the following:? :

>> Melchert Fruitema wrote:
>>
>>> On 01-05-2008 09:10 CET, Thomas Derflinger composed this enchanting
>>> statement:

>>> Congratulations. However, you did incorrectly assume that I know what
>>> Eclipse RCP is or stands for.
>>>

>> after looking at the site, I still don't know either.
>>

> *lol* Peter... look here, then click the *.pdf link and read the
> description! Man-oh, is that a waste of web-space!
> http://www.eclipsemozilla.org/documentation.html
>
> reg

Well at least the print was big enough I could read it without my
glasses. ;-)
If they had cut it down to normal text all would have fit likely on 3
pages.

If it's "fixed", don't "break it"! mailto:pjo...@kimbanet.com
Mac G4-500, OSX.3.9, 1.5GB Mac 17" PowerBook G4-1.67 GHz, 2 GB OSX.4.11

Thomas Derflinger

May 4, 2008, 11:04:31 AM5/4/08
Hello Stanimir,

It is possible, but not yet developed.

But it should be no big issue programming a small plugin that replaces
IE with Mozilla in the Eclipse IDE.

Actually, I also have thought about doing that but so far did not find
the time to develop that.

Greets,
-Thomas