Will Linux FF 4.0 be released with tabs on top and menu on title bar?

manu

Jul 27, 2010, 12:50:46 AM7/27/10
Hi all,

I have posted a similar question on mozilla.dev.builds:
http://groups.google.com/group/mozilla.dev.builds/browse_thread/thread/7ce5ee289da5424f/1bbd800588aad3e7#1bbd800588aad3e7

With 4.0 beta 1 (downloaded, not built my self as it would take hours
to compile on my laptop) I have tabs on top, following David's tip.

So my questions are:

- Will Firefox 4.0 for Linux be released with tabs on top by default.
I think most users would expect this since is the first most
publicized feature.

- Will Firefox 4.0 for Linux be released with the menu on the title
bar. This is also an expected and publicized feature.

Best regards,
Manuel.

manu

Jul 27, 2010, 12:54:32 AM7/27/10

manu

Jul 27, 2010, 1:35:14 AM7/27/10
Watchig the TabCandy movie http://www.azarask.in/blog/post/tabcandy/ I
notice that Aza Raskin's Minefield build has no Firefox button (on the
title bar), so:

- What sould I do to build FF like that?

Best regards,
Manuel.

Kevin Brosnan

Jul 27, 2010, 2:56:27 AM7/27/10
to manu, dev-apps...@lists.mozilla.org
You would need to by a Mac. That is the default theme for OS X. With
the operating system provided menu at the top of the desktop the
Firefox button would be redundant. Sometimes theme authors will port
the different os specific themes to the other operating systems.
Though that tends to lag behind the current release.

That being said I suspect much of it can be accomplished in 3.6 with extensions.

Kevin

Mike Beltzner

Jul 27, 2010, 9:02:33 AM7/27/10
On 2010-07-27, at 12:50 AM, manu wrote:

> - Will Firefox 4.0 for Linux be released with tabs on top by default.
> I think most users would expect this since is the first most
> publicized feature.

This is the plan, yes.

> - Will Firefox 4.0 for Linux be released with the menu on the title
> bar. This is also an expected and publicized feature.

It's our desire, but we're having a bunch of problems getting it working with the default Linux distributions, so we're not sure that we can make it happen. If you have the skills, we'd love your help.

You can follow all the default theme work here:

https://wiki.mozilla.org/Firefox/Projects/New_Theme

cheers,
mike

manu

Jul 27, 2010, 3:09:19 PM7/27/10
On Jul 27, 9:02 am, Mike Beltzner <beltz...@mozilla.com> wrote:
> It's our desire, but we're having a bunch of problems getting it working with the default Linux distributions, so we're not sure that we can make it happen. If you have the skills, we'd love your help.
>
> You can follow all the default theme work here:
>
> https://wiki.mozilla.org/Firefox/Projects/New_Theme

Hi Mike,

I'm not a "fluent" C/C++ programmer, but I think I'm capable enough to
get an understanding of it. I have read a little of Firefox's
internals: XPCOM, XUL, etc... But it was years ago, so I need some
updating...

I've started to read the bugs linked from the New_Theme page to see
how the implementation on Linux has been doing.

For the time being, I can help by trying to build the new theme on
Ubuntu 10.04 amd64 and report back. If in the way, I happen to learn
how to fix some bug I will summit patches (now it so easy with hg).

Thanks and best regards,
Manuel.

EE

Jul 27, 2010, 3:13:16 PM7/27/10

Why would anyone want the menu on the title bar? What is wrong with
having the title on the title bar?

manu

Jul 27, 2010, 3:37:45 PM7/27/10
On Jul 27, 3:13 pm, EE <nu...@bees.wax> wrote:
> On 2010/07/26 21:54, manu wrote:
>

> > Hi all,
>
> > I have posted a similar question on mozilla.dev.builds:
> >http://groups.google.com/group/mozilla.dev.builds/browse_thread/threa...

> > With 4.0 beta 1 (downloaded, not built my self as it would take hours
> > to compile on my laptop) I have tabs on top, following David's tip.
>
> > So my questions are:
>
> > - Will Firefox 4.0 for Linux be released with tabs on top by default.
> > I think most users would expect this since is the first most
> > publicized feature.
>
> > - Will Firefox 4.0 for Linux be released with the menu on the title
> > bar. This is also an expected and publicized feature.
>
> > Best regards,
> > Manuel.
>
> Why would anyone want the menu on the title bar?  What is wrong with
> having the title on the title bar?

It would reduce visual footprint. Personally, I use it ver seldom.
Most of the functionality I use is already out there somehow:

- Create a Bookmark: Press Ctrl+D or click the star. Both are
integrated with my delicious account. Only when I have a bunch of
pages and I want to Bookmark all tabs, I use the Bookmarks menu.

- Switch the proxy. The SwitchProxy/ProxyFoxy and other extensions are
great for this. I use the former.

- Install a new addons is streamlined by the fact Firefox recognizes
the .xpi files. Also All-In-One Sidebar merges almost every window
onto the sidebar, so I press F4 and click which window I would use.

- Some time I need to open the Preferences window. I use the Edit menu
for this.

- Comment on reader is a Bookmark.

- Shorten with bit.ly, is another bookmark.

So, in conclusion, I rather have a Firefox button instead of the
menubar. Of course I'm not saying that the menubar should be removed:
Users should have the power to decide whether they want it or not. But
that's what the video says: If you want to have the menubar, you just
click there and there and you'll be pleased.

Best regards,
Manuel.

Mike Beltzner

Jul 27, 2010, 3:44:11 PM7/27/10
to manu, dev-apps...@lists.mozilla.org
Hi Manuel,

Thanks for your input on this matter. I don't think that it's open for vote at this time, and we've given you a place where you can track our progress.

All existing functionality will be preserved, but some of the more advanced options will no longer be accessible from top-level menus. Add-Ons will be able to contribute to the Firefox Button just like they used to be able to contribute to menus.

Presently, I do not believe that we'll be able to bring the Firefox Button to Linux, so it will continue to have a menuBar by default, like Windows XP. OSX will continue to use a menuBar as well.

I think we can stop talking about this now.

cheers,
mike

EE

Jul 28, 2010, 3:25:00 PM7/28/10

What has that to do with replacing the title with the menu?