Jetpack SDK 0.2 now available!

1 view

Myk Melez

Mar 26, 2010, 8:07:48 PM3/26/10
to mozilla-la...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

We just released Jetpack SDK 0.2! Read the blog post for more information, and download it as a tarball or ZIP archive via the following links:

  https://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/labs/jetpack/jetpack-sdk-0.2.tar.gz
  https://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/labs/jetpack/jetpack-sdk-0.2.zip

The final build contains no changes from the second release candidate we released two days ago.

Also, as I mentioned earlier, this release does not yet contain the high-level APIs we've been developing, which we are continuing to work on for inclusion in future releases. It does, however, include a number of bug fixes, especially for running the SDK on Windows.

Remember that you'll also need Python 2.5 or 2.6 on your system. Once you have that, just unpack the tarball/ZIP archive and check out the README.txt file to get started.

We'd love to hear any feedback you have about the release! Feel free to post it to this discussion forum or file a bug in Bugzilla.

- Myk, on behalf of Team Jetpack

Erik Vold

Mar 27, 2010, 4:30:50 AM3/27/10
to mozilla-labs-jetpack

Myk Melez

Mar 27, 2010, 4:45:45 AM3/27/10
to mozilla-la...@googlegroups.com, Erik Vold
On 03/27/2010 01:30 AM, Erik Vold wrote:
> I noticed that the 'release notes' link provided at<
> http://mozillalabs.com/jetpack/2010/03/26/announcing-jetpack-sdk-0-2/
>
>> is to< https://wiki.mozilla.org/Labs/Jetpack/Release_Notes/0.1>
>>
> and should be to< https://wiki.mozilla.org/Labs/Jetpack/Release_Notes/0.2

Urk, good catch. Ok, fixed!

-myk

Emre Sevinc

Mar 29, 2010, 6:00:26 AM3/29/10
to mozilla-labs-jetpack

"... this release does not yet contain the high-level APIs we've been

developing, which we are continuing to work on for inclusion in future
releases."

So it is still not possible to start creating extensions simply by
using CSS, HTML and JavaScript as we did with the old Jetpack
prototype? I mean things like getting the contents of web page,
modifying them using jQuery, storing some data persistently, showing
some results in a panel, adding context menus, etc?

--
Emre

Daniel

Mar 30, 2010, 2:12:39 PM3/30/10
to mozilla-labs-jetpack
That is correct, but 0.3 will bring with it a first round of APIs. We
are expecting that the production Jeptack SDK will be at the same
level of API coverage about 3 months from now as the old prototype
Jetpack platform.

Seth Bindernagel

Mar 30, 2010, 3:57:54 PM3/30/10
to mozilla-labs-jetpack

On Mar 30, 11:12 am, Daniel <daniel...@gmail.com> wrote:
> That is correct, but 0.3 will bring with it a first round of APIs.  We
> are expecting that the production Jeptack SDK will be at the same
> level of API coverage about 3 months from now as the old prototype
> Jetpack platform.

Hey Daniel,

If I am interested in writing a Jetpack with some UI, do you recommend
I build the basic functionality on the old Jetpack prototype (the
Jetpack 0.8.1 addon) and migrate to the 0.3 SDK when it is ready?

As I understand, if I write using the former Jetpack addon, there are
no specific plans to make a conversion process to the new Jetpack-
based extension model and I'd have to do that myself.

-Seth

Daniel

Mar 31, 2010, 2:04:09 PM3/31/10
to mozilla-labs-jetpack
I guess it depends on what UI you are looking to implement. It is
possible to code up your own methods for UI access in the new SDK
right now. I created one here using the Jetpack Builder that puts an
element into the statusbar and opens a tab when clicked:

http://flightdeck.zalewa.info/ext_tab_try/

- Daniel