Support for 5D Mark II with 2.0.8

Trammell Hudson

Nov 27, 2010, 4:56:21 PM11/27/10
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
I have been neglectful of my favorite camera these past few months
and left it running the older 2.0.4 Canon firmware. Today I spent
the afternon locating the necessary symbols (thanks, patchdiff2!)
and have built a version that boots on the 5D Mark II with 2.0.8.

Attached is a version for folks to test. I put it through some
tests and the few things I tried seemed to work (autoboot, MBR
writing, zebras, int/ext mic switching, etc). I also fixed (?) a
bug in the bmp_load() code: by reading into an uncacheable region of
memory it seems to never get the bad results from the read.

Please give it a go and let me know if there are any outstanding
issues. Once we have it a stable we should make this one generally
available since all the new cameras have 2.0.8 pre-installed.

FYI: if you have a camera with a serial console, there does appear
to be a password on the port now.

--
Trammell

magiclantern-0.1.9.zip

Chris Barcellos

Nov 28, 2010, 3:46:40 AM11/28/10
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
I loaded 2.08 and your updated version and tested briefly with cx231 and ntg3 mic. Seem to work without issue. Very clean

Sent from my iPhone

> --
> http://magiclantern.wikia.com/

> <magiclantern-0.1.9.zip>

Paul Lenk

Nov 28, 2010, 8:04:22 AM11/28/10
to Magic Lantern firmware development
For me does not work. The camera does not react, black screen.
Firmware 2.0.8

Gilbert M

Nov 28, 2010, 11:03:45 PM11/28/10
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
What do I have to do to those files in-order for the camera to boot them? I have cards here, the 5d + 2.0.8. Advise me please.

thanks

dcrin3

Nov 29, 2010, 1:59:24 AM11/29/10
to Magic Lantern firmware development
Mine works half of the time and the rest I get a black screen also.
>  magiclantern-0.1.9.zip
> 89KViewDownload

Gilbert M

Nov 28, 2010, 11:48:49 PM11/28/10
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Mine works half of the time and the rest I get a black screen also.

dcrin3

Nov 29, 2010, 1:30:48 AM11/29/10
to Magic Lantern firmware development
Mine works half of the time and the rest I get a black screen also.

Paul Lenk

Nov 30, 2010, 12:25:46 PM11/30/10
to Magic Lantern firmware development
I use "64Gb Transcend 400x UDMA TS64GCF400". Magic lantert 0.1.8
worked perfectly on 2.0.4 FW.
I don't manage to launch MLF 0.1.9 on 2.0.8 FW and friends say that
the reason in my CF card. I have made downgrade on 2.0.4 for check and
MLF 0.1.8 works perfectly.
But MLF 0.1.9 doesn't work on 2.0.8 FW in my camera.
Whether this error will be corrected?

cacasodo

Dec 17, 2010, 9:29:12 AM12/17/10
to Magic Lantern firmware development
I tested loading the firmware and at a basic level, enabling/disabling
some options, pressing record and capturing video, it worked. Haven't
put it through many tests yet, but plan to this weekend.

One interesting note is that initially I had two versions of firmware
(Canon's 2.0.8 fw, ML 0.1.9) in the root directory of my CF card.
When I went to the camera's firmware updater, both came up as
available. I scrolled down to the ML version and selected it, but got
a load error. I then decided to move the Canon firmware off the root
into a subdirectory. I then tried the update again and this time the
ML loaded.

FYI

cacasodo

Dec 20, 2010, 11:54:49 AM12/20/10
to Magic Lantern firmware development
Over the weekend, I put 0.1.9 on my 5D Mk II through its paces. The
context was recording a music video. Specifically, I was interested
in increasing run times for my video by using different values for
qscale. I encountered quite a few hurdles, but eventually resolved
them.

I started out by using the HDMI output to an Acer monitor (H233H) that
has an HDMI input. HDMI output to the monitor at 1080i was none too
clean, but worked. More importantly however, when using HDMI output
in combination with changing qscale, recordings would stop abruptly,
usually within a minute or two, and/or the audio-video synchronization
of the resulting video would be ruined. Testing, I found that qscales
higher than +5 (+4, +3, +2 ..) in combination with HDMI output would
crash recordings. However, if I did not change qscale or use a
setting of +5 or greater, the recordings would work fine in
combination with HDMI output. Also, if I removed the HDMI cable from
the camera and just used the cam's LCD screen, the recording problem
with qscale completely disappeared and I could select and record using
any level of qscale I chose, up to the limit of the speed of my CF
card. In sum, something "bad" is happening between those two
components (HDMI output/qscale). I would suspect this problem is not
limited to myself. If someone else could test and report back, that'd
be great.

One scary side note was that at one point, I removed the HDMI cable
while the camera was on and the LCD screen of the camera went grey
with lines on it, kind of like if you turn the brightness or contrast
of an old analog TV all the way up. Removing the battery or doing a
firmware upgrade or downgrade did not fix the problem. I was quite
worried I had cooked the screen somehow. Later on that night, after
the camera was off for a while, I connected the camera to my home
theatre via the HDMI output. I was overjoyed to see that the problem
with the LCD screen had disappeared. Maybe the different HDMI
connection or the downtime did the trick, I'm not sure which. Word to
the wise: don't remove your HDMI cable from the camera while the
camera is on.

Once I got these issues resolved, results from the weekend were
absolutely super: I was able to record videos more than 20 minutes in
length using qscale of -1 with input from my mixer (from room mics as
well as direct from MIDI instrument output). The video looked great
(due to some nice lighting, I must say). This means I can upgrade my
band's videos. I will post a short snip of the results later.

Thanks again Trammel! Now to understand that HDMI issue..
'sodo

cacasodo

Dec 22, 2010, 9:42:59 AM12/22/10
to Magic Lantern firmware development
Moira,
Thanks for the confirmation of the problem. I believe a 550 thread is
discussing the same HDMI issue:
http://groups.google.com/group/ml-devel/browse_thread/thread/7c108c652d9e0613#

I will chime in on that discussion, just to keep developers aware that
the problem affects more than one user.

By the way, I produced a short summary video of my weekend
experimentations. Most interesting for readers of this list is I
varied qscale options twice in the video. I think it is pretty easy
to tell which parts utilize +5 and which parts utilize -1:
http://vimeo.com/18074693

'sodo

cacasodo

Dec 28, 2010, 3:28:57 PM12/28/10
to Magic Lantern firmware development
All,
Today, I confirmed that the problem while recording using custom
qscale settings with monitor out exists with HDMI out only and NOT
with composite A/V out.

Also, I think my corrupt LCD screen problem may be happening because
the CCD gets overheated. I tested the limits of recording today. By
using a qscale of -1, I recorded a video 29m59s in length (1505MB in
size). While recording, I noticed by looking at the Debug Menu of ML
that the CMOS Temp was 197. I assume that's pretty high. After
restarting the unit post-recording, the LCD was corrupt as before. I
let the unit cool down and the problem abated. Given this
information, I recommend keeping the length of your videos as short as
possible, at a minimum shorter than 20 minutes or just keep that CMOS
temp below 185, the peak of CPU temp that I've noticed shows while
recording normal length videos. Either that or cradle the body in
freezer packs. ;) Just kidding.

'sodo

MrMitch

Dec 28, 2010, 1:47:08 PM12/28/10
to Magic Lantern firmware development
I wish I knew how you all ger QScale to work.

I don't get the option anywhere in the menus, and no reference to it
in the downloaded firmware .cfg

Any ideas anyone ?

On Dec 22, 2:42 pm, cacasodo <cacasodo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Moira,
> Thanks for the confirmation of the problem.  I believe a 550 thread is
> discussing the same HDMI issue:http://groups.google.com/group/ml-devel/browse_thread/thread/7c108c65...

Maarten_NL

Dec 29, 2010, 6:58:54 PM12/29/10
to Magic Lantern firmware development
The fw doesn't seem t work for me, I have 2 Kingstond 32GB cards,
either card just results in a black screen.

Any ideas what to test or change to get it working?

cacasodo

Dec 30, 2010, 10:37:03 PM12/30/10
to Magic Lantern firmware development
In my experimentations with ML firmware 0.1.9 and the 5D, here is the
process I go through and some notes if you get stuck:
1) after loading the firmware via the CF card, the LCD screen flashes
with some ML bootloader messages and then goes black

2) after the black screen, I press the Live View mode button on the
cam (listed as "Direct print button", pg 138, in the manual).

3) After pressing the Live View button, the cam should make the
shutter noise, the rear LCD screen comes on and the ML firmware is
active (you can tell by the VU, sound meters at the top)
NOTE: sometimes, especially after using the cam in regular mode (non-
ML firmware mode), the firmware update to ML 0.1.9 initially doesn't
take. In other words, after pressing Live View mode button, nothing
happens..no shutter noise. If I then load the firmware again and try
the Live View mode button, the firmware is properly loaded (the cam
makes the clicking noise, the rear LCD screen comes on and you'll see
the VU meters).

Also, sometimes the cam gets hung in ML firmware mode even after
shutting the cam off. In this case, shut the cam off and remove the
battery to reset the cam and try again.

4) press the Info button on the back of the cam to get access to the
ML firmware options. Use the joystick/multi-controller to navigate
the options and the SET button the toggle or scroll through an
individual option's selectable parameters.

Good luck!
'sodo

References
http://magiclantern.wikia.com/wiki/Download_firmware
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/lit_files/101.pdf (5D manual)

cacasodo

Dec 31, 2010, 8:25:06 AM12/31/10
to Magic Lantern firmware development
Moira,
Thanks for that important caveat. Even with these occasional loader
issues, I can vouch for this firmware, as it handled a four hour
recording session with no problems:
http://vimeo.com/18287163

Just make sure and follow your rules of good videography/filming:
- first, time the time to make sure you get your setup and
configuration is correct
- do a test run before the real filming is to take place
- view the resulting test
(rinse, repeat)

'sodo

Alex

Jan 3, 2011, 1:13:05 PM1/3/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development
> I also fixed (?) a bug in the bmp_load() code: by reading into an uncacheable region of memory it seems to never get the bad results from the read.

This issue is explained here:
http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/CHDK_Coding_Guidelines
http://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php?topic=1910.msg42829#msg42829

It seems alloc_dma_memory/free_dma_memory does the same thing on 550D.
I did not find FreeUncacheableMemory; only AllocateUncacheableMemory,
which calls alloc_dma_memory.

Now I'm porting this fix on the 550D, and hope it will fix even more
unstable behaviors.

On Nov 27 2010, 11:56 pm, Trammell Hudson <hud...@osresearch.net>
wrote:
>  magiclantern-0.1.9.zip
> 89KViewDownload

lichtjaar

Jan 4, 2011, 10:13:53 PM1/4/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development
EXFAT SDXC 64GB We need some help.

please go to http://magiclantern.wikia.com/wiki/Bootdisk

MrMitch

Jan 6, 2011, 12:42:16 PM1/6/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development
Thanks to people for their suggestions regarding loading ML.

ML has always loaded and gone into liveview correctly.

All other functions work, just no QScale option.

Would love to get it working and await your futher suggestions, or
should I log it as a bug ?

Many Thanks

Jon

Elstree/UK Based Focus Puller, 1st AC, Operator.

Adam

Jan 20, 2011, 12:31:40 PM1/20/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development
Agree,
Delin Devices 64GB UDMA Series CF64GKTPT
FW 2.0.8 and I have magic blackout only :(

PLEASE HELP !!!!!!!!!

Question:
Can you make it "lite" evo just for crop-marks, on-screen audio-meters
and headphones out ?
I think that overwriting canons audio at 2.0.8 has no sense. This one
works really cool ( in manual of course )
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted