Re: 60D 1.0.9 update

indy arm

Apr 20, 2011, 3:31:07 PM4/20/11
to ml-devel
Hi,

Could you please check this version based on SztupY's work ?
He found my mistake in consts-60d.109.h (GMT_FUNCTABLE)

to be used on 60d already updated to Canon fw 1.0.9 !
http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/cameras/slr_cameras/eos_60d#DriversAndSoftware

1. first update using magiclantern.fir, which should enable the bootflag
2. then you can use autoexec.bin on a bootable card

as usual, if something weird happens, remove the battery !

See Sztupy work here:
https://bitbucket.org/sztupy/magic-lantern-for-60d/overview

Sztupy's posts on the list are still blocked....

Indy

autoexec.bin
magiclantern.fir

au8ust

Apr 21, 2011, 1:40:50 AM4/21/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development
It works! The menu seems to be functional now. I'm testing through
various menu configs in the ML.

Great jobs!

TK

On Apr 21, 2:31 am, indy arm <arm.indi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Could you please check this version based on SztupY's work ?
> He found my mistake in consts-60d.109.h (GMT_FUNCTABLE)
>
> to be used on 60d already updated to Canon fw 1.0.9 !http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/cameras/slr_cameras/e...
>
> 1. first update using magiclantern.fir, which should enable the bootflag
> 2. then you can use autoexec.bin on a bootable card
>
> as usual, if something weird happens, remove the battery !
>
> See Sztupy work here:https://bitbucket.org/sztupy/magic-lantern-for-60d/overview
>
> Sztupy's posts on the list are still blocked....
>
> Indy
>
>  autoexec.bin
> 227KViewDownload
>
>  magiclantern.fir
> 227KViewDownload

AlexV

Apr 21, 2011, 2:24:07 AM4/21/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development
Thanks Indy!
Are there any particular differences to Sztupy's build that should be
tested? Like audio monitoring?
AlexV

On 20 Apr., 21:31, indy arm <arm.indi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Could you please check this version based on SztupY's work ?
> He found my mistake in consts-60d.109.h (GMT_FUNCTABLE)
>
> to be used on 60d already updated to Canon fw 1.0.9 !http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/cameras/slr_cameras/e...
>
> 1. first update using magiclantern.fir, which should enable the bootflag
> 2. then you can use autoexec.bin on a bootable card
>
> as usual, if something weird happens, remove the battery !
>
> See Sztupy work here:https://bitbucket.org/sztupy/magic-lantern-for-60d/overview
>
> Sztupy's posts on the list are still blocked....
>
> Indy
>
>  autoexec.bin
> 227KAnzeigenHerunterladen
>
>  magiclantern.fir
> 227KAnzeigenHerunterladen

AlexV

Apr 21, 2011, 2:48:58 AM4/21/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development
Crashes when trying to select "large" cropmarks instead of the special
smaller ones that Sztupy created.

On 20 Apr., 21:31, indy arm <arm.indi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Could you please check this version based on SztupY's work ?
> He found my mistake in consts-60d.109.h (GMT_FUNCTABLE)
>
> to be used on 60d already updated to Canon fw 1.0.9 !http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/cameras/slr_cameras/e...
>
> 1. first update using magiclantern.fir, which should enable the bootflag
> 2. then you can use autoexec.bin on a bootable card
>
> as usual, if something weird happens, remove the battery !
>
> See Sztupy work here:https://bitbucket.org/sztupy/magic-lantern-for-60d/overview
>
> Sztupy's posts on the list are still blocked....
>
> Indy
>
>  autoexec.bin
> 227KAnzeigenHerunterladen
>
>  magiclantern.fir
> 227KAnzeigenHerunterladen

arm.indy

Apr 21, 2011, 9:45:54 AM4/21/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development
Did the fir file activated the bootflag and allowed you to run the
autoexec.bin on a bootable card ?

Indy
Message has been deleted

AlexV

Apr 21, 2011, 10:50:10 AM4/21/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development
Oh I didn't use your fir. My 60D was already prepared with some fir
that was made for the 550D I think, I can not remember exactly.
Should I run your fir again or will it be the same?

Alex

arm.indy

Apr 21, 2011, 11:14:11 AM4/21/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development
You enabled your 60d bootflag using a fir file for 550d ?
it sounds weird because the model id is verified before 'updating'.

Indy

AlexV

Apr 21, 2011, 11:27:07 AM4/21/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development
Sztupy wrote:
"Alex probably used the very early .fir file, that was posted here for
FW1.0.8. That fir file crashes instantly after flashing the shutter
for a while, but it sets the boot flag, which is not unset after
updating to 1.0.9"

I guess he is right.
Why is he blocked from the board?
:o(

OK should I use the Indy-fir again? Will it change anything?

arm.indy

Apr 21, 2011, 12:01:22 PM4/21/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development, Trammell Hudson
> I guess he is right.
> Why is he blocked from the board?
> :o(

I do not know why SztupY can not post on the mailing-list.
I do not control the list, sorry.

Indy

"Sztupák Sz. Zsolt"

Apr 21, 2011, 11:15:59 AM4/21/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com, arm.indy, al...@vafiopoulos.de
Alex probably used the very early .fir file, that was posted here for
FW1.0.8. That fir file crashes instantly after flashing the shutter for
a while, but it sets the boot flag, which is not unset after updating to
1.0.9

SztupY

2011.04.21. 17:14 keltez�ssel, arm.indy �rta:

arm.indy

Apr 23, 2011, 9:36:51 AM4/23/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development
Welcome on the list SztupY !

the problem with the magiclantern.fir (for 1.0.9) published April 20th
may come from big SD cards.

Indy

SztupY

Apr 26, 2011, 10:44:56 AM4/26/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development
Cool! Now I can write too :)

Updated the 60D branch to contain the latest stuff from alex, and also
fixed the "not able to record while in AF mode" bug. Also compiled a
nice zip package:

http://sztupy.hu/magiclantern/109_a4_152ba926c894/magiclantern-2011Apr26.60d.fw109.alpha4.sztupy.zip

I'm still working on getting the rack focus code to work, but will do
other fixes too.

Btw. I was on vacation with only one SD card and no ability (=no sd
card reader) to remove the previous ML build from it, and I hadn't got
any problems whatsoever. Tomorrow I'll be shooting a small documentary
with it. I hop it won't let me down :)

SztupY

Alex

Apr 26, 2011, 11:35:25 AM4/26/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Just received my 60D (1.0.9).

Updated with magiclantern.fir from Sztupy's zip; ML started, but did
not set the boot flag. No dumps or logs found on the card. Going to to
write a minimal installer...

> --
> http://magiclantern.wikia.com/

Alex

Apr 27, 2011, 5:12:11 AM4/27/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Just installed ML on 60D/1.0.9 with these steps:

1) Downgrade to 1.0.8,
http://web.canon.jp/imaging/eosd/firm-e/eos60d/download.html
2) Use 2nd magiclantern.fir from Indy:
http://groups.google.com/group/ml-devel/browse_thread/thread/f4b54ae5fdbc385
3) Made card bootable and tested autoexec.bin for 1.0.8 (just saw the
startup message and then turned the camera off).
4) Format card and upgrade back to 1.0.9,
http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/cameras/slr_cameras/eos_60d#DriversAndSoftware
5) Made card bootable and ran latest autoexec.bin from Sztupy:
http://sztupy.hu/magiclantern/109.html

New installer coming next week; until then, you can use this procedure
at your own risk.

Alex

Apr 27, 2011, 5:47:55 AM4/27/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Warning!

Certain functions can be dangerous to try, as they set properties in a
way specific to 550D. Properties are stored in NVRAM and incorrect
values can make the camera not to boot (I almost did it on 550D...
i.e. got ERR70 at every startup, even with original firmware or
without card).

I've already experienced many crashes and had to take battery out.

Don't forget: If it breaks, you get to keep both pieces!

SztupY

Apr 27, 2011, 6:06:47 AM4/27/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development
Some of these are shown red in the features list on the wiki (like usb
monitoring). Probably the most dangerous is is disabling the bootflag,
as that will make the camera unusable until supplied with an sd card
with a firmware on it.

SztupY

On ápr. 27, 11:47, Alex <broscutama...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Warning!
>
> Certain functions can be dangerous to try, as they set properties in a
> way specific to 550D. Properties are stored in NVRAM and incorrect
> values can make the camera not to boot (I almost did it on 550D...
> i.e. got ERR70 at every startup, even with original firmware or
> without card).
>
> I've already experienced many crashes and had to take battery out.
>
> Don't forget: If it breaks, you get to keep both pieces!
>

> On Wed, Apr 27, 2011 at 11:12 AM, Alex <broscutama...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
>
> > Just installed ML on 60D/1.0.9 with these steps:
>
> > 1) Downgrade to 1.0.8,
> >http://web.canon.jp/imaging/eosd/firm-e/eos60d/download.html
> > 2) Use 2nd magiclantern.fir from Indy:
> >http://groups.google.com/group/ml-devel/browse_thread/thread/f4b54ae5...
> > 3) Made card bootable and tested autoexec.bin for 1.0.8 (just saw the
> > startup message and then turned the camera off).
> > 4) Format card and upgrade back to 1.0.9,
> >http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/cameras/slr_cameras/e...

SztupY

Apr 28, 2011, 5:10:38 PM4/28/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development
Alpha5 build from me:
http://sztupy.hu/magiclantern/109_a5_76e269f6413d/magiclantern-2011Apr28.60d.fw109.alpha5.sztupy.zip

Changes:
- Rack focus/Movie AF mostly working (but it's functionality might
depend on the lens used, I only tried with the EF50/1.8). I wrote
about how it works here: http://magiclantern.wikia.com/wiki/Focus/60D
- Fixed some of the constants based on the 550D dump

SztupY

Alex

Apr 28, 2011, 5:29:47 PM4/28/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
It seems we were working at the same issue simultaneously.

If I understand well, you only control focus with 1, 2, 3, 0x8001,
0x8002 and 0x8003, right? If this is the case, you can simply change
PROP_LV_LENS_DRIVE_REMOTE with those values. See my changeset here:

https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/changeset/a462975938f5

Sztupák Sz. Zsolt

Apr 28, 2011, 5:33:38 PM4/28/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
No, I only use 1 and 8001 for forward and backward direction. The amount is very fine-grained, but lens-dependent. More low-level, than using PROPs. You should check the code.

sztupy

Alex <broscu...@gmail.com> wrote:
It seems we were working at the same issue simultaneously. If I understand well, you only control focus with 1, 2, 3, 0x8001, 0x8002 and 0x8003, right? If this is the case, you can simply change PROP_LV_LENS_DRIVE_REMOTE with those values. See my changeset here: https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/changeset/a462975938f5 On Thu, Apr 28, 2011 at 11:10 PM, SztupY <ma...@sztupy.hu> wrote: > Alpha5 build from me: > http://sztupy.hu/magiclantern/109_a5_76e269f6413d/magiclantern-2011Apr28.60d.fw109.alpha5.sztupy.zip > > Changes: > - Rack focus/Movie AF mostly working (but it's functionality might > depend on the lens used, I only tried with the EF50/1.8). I wrote > about how it works here: http://magiclantern.wikia.com/wiki/Focus/60D > - Fixed some of the constants based on the 550D dump > >  SztupY > > -- > http://magiclantern.wikia.com/ > > To post to this group, send email to ml-d...@googlegroups.com > To unsubscribe from this group, send email to ml-devel+u...@googlegroups.com > For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/ml-devel?hl=en -- http://magiclantern.wikia.com/ To post to this group, send email to ml-d...@googlegroups.com To unsubscribe from this group, send email to ml-devel+u...@googlegroups.com For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/ml-devel?hl=en

Alex

Apr 28, 2011, 5:38:19 PM4/28/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Tested with the kit lens, works very well.

SztupY

Apr 28, 2011, 7:32:20 PM4/28/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development
I tried with three different lenses (EF50/1.8, Kit18-55 and an old
Tamron 75-300). The problem is that the lens communicates the minimum
amount it can rotate the ring (1/0.0082 on the EF50), while I use
constant 0.1 as this value. I'm sure this information can be queried
somehow, and it would allow a nice control of the focus ring.

The other problem that I found is that the lens_feocus function now
not only sends a command to change the focus, but actually does the
focus changing. There are some minor caveats with this solution.

If you don't mind I'd like to continue working on the focus changing
code, as it's something I can actually test (I don't yet have the
cables needed for testing the usb monitoring and external monitor
stuffs). I mostly named most of the functions in the disassembly
anyway.

SztupY

On ápr. 28, 23:38, Alex <broscutama...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Tested with the kit lens, works very well.

Alex

Apr 28, 2011, 7:57:35 PM4/28/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
No problem, I've already replaced my code with yours.

Here's my latest autoexec.bin... let's call it alpha6. It has
everything from alpha5, plus:

- better overall stability (at least I can't crash it any more by
pressing record)
- CFN's work (including MLU and HTP)
- bitrate (QScale, emulated CBR) and indicators near the red dot work
- trap focus works, intervalometer worked for me too
- fast zoom in play mode

And the latest stuff from 550D:
- shortcut key for movie mode (press ISO and then LV); this is because
MovieModeRemap was not handy, as CA is farther from P/Tv/Av/M and
there's no A-DEP.
- auto ExpSim (disable during zoom in, enable otherwise)
- RGB zebras

If you can crash the camera, please tell me how to reproduce.

autoexec.bin

Morgan Look

Apr 29, 2011, 3:13:08 AM4/29/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Hi Alex, great to see the builds coming back through. Hope you're enjoying the new toy.

I have found an issue with the Apr26 build (and I assume current one, but I haven't tested that yet).

In movie mode, if you have the magiczoom enabled "always" and take a still photo with a full shutter press. The magiczoom goes away, and you have to mess with the DISP button a few times to make it come back again.

I was having similar issues with an earlier build using the kit lens, but only displaying the zoom during focusing.
After taking a still the box would no longer show up during focusing.

Regards, Morgan.

Alex

Apr 29, 2011, 5:27:16 AM4/29/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
I've noticed it too. Probably YUV422_LV_BUFFER_DMA_ADDR is not the
right one. Sometimes, taking another picture or starting recording
fixes this.

SztupY

Apr 29, 2011, 9:21:52 AM4/29/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development
alpha7 build: http://sztupy.hu/magiclantern/109.html

Changes:
- Merged with latest stuff from alex
- Magic zoom works better
- Focus code now takes into account the lens used (so speed 1 should
always be the slowest, and speed 5000 should always result in a wall-
to-wall focus change, at least it does so with my three lenses)

About LV_DMA_ADDR: it is probably fine, though it also has a
directionality (it goes 1-2-3 or 1-3-2). I don't know why you removed
the fact from the wiki that very short pressing the shutter button
will usually fix the magic zoom (as it will change directionality). I
updated the code so it now checks how it goes around (1-2-3-1 or
1-3-2-1) and gives the next framebuffer addr according to this
information.

SztupY

> >> --
> >>http://magiclantern.wikia.com/

Alex

Apr 29, 2011, 9:31:12 AM4/29/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Nice find with the directionality!

Also, Alpha7 contains new false color palettes similar to SmallHD (not
yet announced on 550D, but code is committed).

xaos

Apr 29, 2011, 10:21:07 AM4/29/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Apr 29, 2011 at 3:21 PM, SztupY <ma...@sztupy.hu> wrote:
> alpha7 build: http://sztupy.hu/magiclantern/109.html

Debug - > "Don't click me!" ? :)

Alex

Apr 29, 2011, 11:09:25 AM4/29/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
> Debug - > "Don't click me!" ? :)

If you click it, the camera will behave like drunk :)

Alex

Apr 29, 2011, 4:27:53 PM4/29/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Alpha 8:

* Audio monitoring works!
- not fully tested, as I don't have the headphones right now; only
the USB cable
- minor issue: if you unplug the cable in LiveView, press MENU
twice to restore the display
- USB works, not sure about HDMI

* Fixed bracketing and bulb timer.

* This zip contains the small cropmarks from Sztupy (they seem to work better).

Manuals are not 100% accurate, so I didn't include them in the zip.

magiclantern-2011Apr29.60d.fw109.alpha8.alex.zip

Alex

Apr 30, 2011, 4:55:20 AM4/30/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Arm.Indy has prepared a minimal installer for 60D/1.0.9, based on this
source code:
https://bitbucket.org/a1ex/magic-lantern/changeset/93135f58ed93

We need a brave tester with a vanilla 60D to check if it sets the bootflag.

I've ran this magiclantern.fir on my camera, and it worked as
expected. Since my bootflag was already set, it did nothing special
(but I did get the dump and the log file).

4: 13.239 [MAGIC] Magic Lantern 2011Apr30.60d.fw109.install.user ()
5: 13.259 [MAGIC] Built on 2011-04-30 08:01:13 by user@ubuntu1004desktop
1449: 2009.518 [MAGIC] Calling init_func bootflags.c (60f28)

This installer only sets the version string and calls initial_install.
No user tasks are started, no property handlers, no task override, no
change of camera settings, so the risk is minimal... in theory.

It may be best to run the fir from BULB mode, because otherwise the EV
indicator will overwrite ML installer display (just a cosmetic issue).

magiclantern.fir

arm.indy

Apr 30, 2011, 7:39:38 AM4/30/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development
in Makefile, RESTARTSTART must be set to 0x5f000, see why here:
http://magiclantern.wikia.com/wiki/5d-hack

values in this page are for 60d 108, but 0x5f000 is the good value for
109 too.

model_id for 60D is 0x80000287

Indy
>  magiclantern.fir
> 70KAfficherTélécharger

Alex

Apr 30, 2011, 5:18:51 PM4/30/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Alpha 9.

Contains latest stuff and fixes from 550D:
http://groups.google.com/group/ml-devel/browse_thread/thread/850ec268bc883ceb/07af12c3754890d7?show_docid=07af12c3754890d7

Most important change: audio monitoring works without any glitches.

Menu has a glitch outside LiveView: you have to press Q or
half-shutter after you close it. This is an workaround; without it,
display would freeze.

autoexec.bin

Alex

May 1, 2011, 8:11:17 AM5/1/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
WARNING!

My camera seems dead, not sure what happened. Battery went low, I've
charged it, and now it doesn't boot any more, and no lights are coming
up. Last time I was running prop_spy with alpha9.

Adrian Sinclair

May 1, 2011, 11:27:05 AM5/1/11
to Alex, ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Hey Alex

is your camera now working? I hope so, btw is any one experiencing any T2i overheating issues while using Canon's EOS utility live view. It has happened twice and once I wasn't even recording yet. The camera was on for about 30 minutes the overheating sensor came on. also if I trigger recording from the EOS utility the recording usually stops after a few seconds, whereas if I trigger recording from the camera it records for longer but still doesn't go longer than a 1 to 3 minutes before it stops. I have to disconnect the usb cable to record for longer. I am using a transcend class 10 16gb SD. I can't recall experiencing this issue with earlier ML builds. I may go back to an earlier build on one of my three SD cards to see which build was stable with EOS utility. Which I unfortunately use as my poor-man's field monitor on my unibody MBP 2.5ghz. Any feedback or advice is greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Adrian

Shawn Wytch

May 1, 2011, 1:34:55 PM5/1/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com, Alex
ok so its working again? i was scard for a min i just started using eos live view have u tried getting a hdmi cord and just pluging it into your computer monitor?
--
Email me at too...@gmail.com
Or call me at 316.312.5584 ask for Shawn

Adrian Sinclair

May 1, 2011, 2:27:28 PM5/1/11
to Shawn Wytch, ml-d...@googlegroups.com, Alex
No Shawn actually I haven't I tried a monitor .. I was really hoping for something that i could use in the field.  my MBP has two laptop I can get a solid 4-6  hours out of the both.  where as with a monitor unless its a battery powered Lilliput, marshall, or Ikan you need a power source.

AlexV

May 2, 2011, 1:57:30 AM5/2/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development
Adrian, please don't change the subject on this thread. I am renaming
it back to the original "60D 1.0.9 update".
Thanks,
Alex

On 1 Mai, 20:27, Adrian Sinclair <sharpmu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> No Shawn actually I haven't I tried a monitor .. I was really hoping for something that i could use in the field.  my MBP has two laptop I can get a solid 4-6  hours out of the both.  where as with a monitor unless its a battery powered Lilliput, marshall, or Ikan you need a power source.
>
> On May 1, 2011, at 1:34 PM, Shawn Wytch wrote:
>

> > ok so its working again? i was scard for a min i just started using eos live view have u tried getting a hdmi cord and just pluging it into your computer monitor?
>
> > On Sun, May 1, 2011 at 9:27 AM, Adrian Sinclair <sharpmu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hey Alex
>
> > is your camera now working?  I hope so, btw is any one experiencing any T2i overheating issues while using Canon's EOS utility live view.  It has happened twice and once I wasn't even recording yet. The camera was on for about 30 minutes the overheating sensor came on.  also if I trigger recording from the EOS utility the recording usually stops after a few seconds, whereas if I trigger recording from the camera it records for longer but still doesn't go longer than a 1 to 3 minutes before it stops.  I have to disconnect the usb cable to record for longer.  I am using a transcend class 10 16gb SD.  I can't recall experiencing this issue with earlier ML  builds.   I may go back to an earlier build on one of my three SD cards to see which build was stable with EOS utility.  Which I unfortunately use as my poor-man's field monitor on my unibody MBP 2.5ghz.  Any feedback or advice is greatly appreciated!
>
> > Thanks
>
> > Adrian
>
> > On May 1, 2011, at 8:11 AM, Alex wrote:
>
> > > WARNING!
>
> > > My camera seems dead, not sure what happened. Battery went low, I've
> > > charged it, and now it doesn't boot any more, and no lights are coming
> > > up. Last time I was running prop_spy with alpha9.
>
> > > --
> > >http://magiclantern.wikia.com/

> > --
> >http://magiclantern.wikia.com/

> > --
> > Email me at tool...@gmail.com

Malcolm Debono

May 2, 2011, 3:36:37 AM5/2/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Have you got your camera working?

Is it safe to use alpha 9, or should we hold on to alpha 8 for now until a new build is ready?

Alex

May 2, 2011, 3:04:49 PM5/2/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development
I've got a new camera under warranty, with firmware 1.0.5! :)

There are some things which I believe to be unsafe:

- menu code for reducing flicker outside LV (in alpha9); it's blocking
what seems to be a redraw event from standard firmware.

- incorrect RESTARTSTART (in all builds); thanks Indy for fixing this.
With it incorrect, the minimal installer did not load at all.

- debugging tools, e.g. prop_spy. Sometimes it gets flooded with
events and it doesn't react fast enough; this usually resulted in
ERR70 or 80. When my camera died, I was running it to see how the
electronic level works (it might have both pitch and roll). Battery
was very low (a few percent), so I believed it just turned off
normally... but it seems it didn't.

I'd say you should wait until a new build is ready.

P.S. The new installer for 1.0.9 works well, I've tested it today.

P.P.S. If you have firmware 1.0.5, you need to upgrade to 1.0.8 first,
and only then to 1.0.9. I've tried to upgrade straight to 1.0.9 and it
stuck at "Loading..." for a few minutes; I had to take the battery
out.

arm.indy

May 2, 2011, 4:27:22 PM5/2/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development
Alex,

Hope this piece of code will help you:

ROM:FF4748D4 BL SetRollingDataToWinSystem
ROM:FF4748F4 BEQ SetPitchingDataToWinSystem
ROM:FF4748F8 ; End of function SetLvElectronicLevelToWinSystem

Indy

Alex

May 3, 2011, 8:39:11 AM5/3/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development
Thanks Indy. It seems the pitching values are not updated; the second
sensor might not be present.

The Unlock button is available for using in Play and Menu modes, but
not during normal shooting. Ideas for shortcuts?

Alex

May 5, 2011, 5:14:38 PM5/5/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Any brave testers for Alpha 10?

What's new:

- Fixed startup bug in movie mode (it was a redraw issued too early)

- Fixed issues 468/1,4,5,7,9;

- Seems to be stable (at least I couldn't crash it in the past few
hours.. with cropmarks off).

- FIR installer for 1.0.9 works.

- All the new stuff from 550D, see
http://groups.google.com/group/ml-devel/browse_thread/thread/850ec268bc883ceb/869771091cbabb4f?show_docid=869771091cbabb4f
. LiveView loop was rewritten first on 60D to improve stability.

- Press Unlock in Play mode to show zebras & co.

Known problems:

- Cropmarks still give ERR70 (disable them).

- Not ready for average users => no manuals included.

magiclantern-2011May05.60d.fw109.alpha10.alex.zip

"Sztupák Sz. Zsolt"

May 5, 2011, 6:34:29 PM5/5/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Strange, I've never had any problems with cropmarks... Maybe
pre-compressing might help. I've attached the small_cropmarks pre-RLE
compressed, and a small script (ruby, I'm not into python that much),
that can convert an 8-bit uncompressed BMP into RLE8. (didn't test them
with alpha10 yet, works with my latest build, so it should work fine)

SztupY

> Any brave testers for Alpha 10?
>
> What's new:
>
> - Fixed startup bug in movie mode (it was a redraw issued too early)
>
> - Fixed issues 468/1,4,5,7,9;
>
> - Seems to be stable (at least I couldn't crash it in the past few
> hours.. with cropmarks off).
>
> - FIR installer for 1.0.9 works.
>
> - All the new stuff from 550D, see
> http://groups.google.com/group/ml-devel/browse_thread/thread/850ec268bc883ceb/869771091cbabb4f?show_docid=869771091cbabb4f
> . LiveView loop was rewritten first on 60D to improve stability.
>

> - Press Unlock in Play mode to show zebras& co.

convertrle.rb
cropmarks_small_rle.zip

Alex

May 5, 2011, 6:40:15 PM5/5/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
The problem appears when the code is loading the entire cropmark image
in RAM before compressing it. I'm sure your solution with
pre-compressing bitmaps will solve it. Reading the bitmap line by line
(for example) will also fix it.

Also, finding other segments of memory which can be used (like ExMem)
could help.

The problem is random; sometimes I can toggle through all (full-sized)
cropmarks without a glitch, other times I get ERR70 when toggling disp
profiles (and the new profile has a cropmark configured).

I'll apply your fix in next build.

Alex

May 11, 2011, 7:10:52 PM5/11/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Alpha 11:

- Almost everything from 550D branch, see
http://groups.google.com/group/ml-devel/browse_thread/thread/850ec268bc883ceb/84f39efd77501fd2?show_docid=84f39efd77501fd2

- Follow focus / rack focus are much smoother, but sometims stop
working (it seems to be when focus ring touches its limits)

- Outside LiveView, ML menu rides on the back of Canon menu (which
avoids flickering and lets you use the wheels)

- Hopefully fixed 476/1,2,3,4,5,7,8,9,10,12,13*,14.

- I've shot over 1000 pictures with trap focus (both LV and non-LV)
and magic zoom, without a single crash. PM if you want to see some
pics.

* = removed the feature which caused that bug.

magiclantern-2011May12.60d.fw109.alpha11.alex.zip

w022a

May 23, 2011, 5:33:43 PM5/23/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development
alpha 11 is great. sincere thanks to Alex, Sztupy and everyone else
that made this happen.

I've been using it in earnest for the last 3 days and not once has
may camera crashed. Very stable at least for the features I use
regularly (luma histogram, cinescope crop mark, intervalometer,
zebras, bracketing). The only time i needed to restart is to get rack
focus working again which stops working sometimes (i see this is
documented).

Given how stable it appears, it must be getting close to move out of
the alpha stage, no?

Alex

May 25, 2011, 4:30:05 PM5/25/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Alpha 12:

- RLE cropmarks from Sztupy (5k of RAM compared to over 300k with
classic cropmarks!)

- All new features and fixes from 550D branch, see
http://groups.google.com/group/ml-devel/browse_thread/thread/da15b5d1e0a337ac/e63c1ab5b5e3ca06?show_docid=e63c1ab5b5e3ca06
(especially my posts starting from May 12). It would be nice if
someone could compile a changelog :)

Split focusing screen works much smoother than on 550D, because 60D
refreshes focus data at a much higher rate :)

Flash key still doesn't work in movie mode, so there's no false color
shortcut for now. But DISP profiles are easier to switch (with the
Metering button).

magiclantern-2011May25.60d.fw109.alpha12.alex.zip

Jare(PL)

May 25, 2011, 5:58:18 PM5/25/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development
60D alpha12 very quick tests.

1. switching to Movie Mode (ISO->LV) works OK, but not works in
reverse direction - instead ISO->LV start/stop movie recording.

minor glitches:

2. Canon's Focus Rectangle in Lv doesn't dissapear. Reproducing: (it
is supposed than Magic Zoome settings are: Zr+F, MEdX2, SE) turn
camera on in e.g Av mode, turn Lv on, wait to Canon's Focus rectangle
to dissapear, press ISO, change Iso with upper ring, press ISO to
leave Iso menu = Focus retangle remain on Lv.
After entering and exit Q-menu in Lv Focus rectangle remains one the
screen too.

manual additions:

3. MagiC Zoom green borders.
For greens borders to work realiable then is a need to pass focus
point at least one time. Otherwise border can be lit green even when
out-of-focus (please make it English properly).

4. For setting Ghost Overlay image in 60D press UNLOCK in Play mode
(instead of 550D's Q button).

Goods:

switching DISP profiles with METTERING works OK :)

Thanks!!!

BTW
did you try to look into controlling of self-timer front lamp and
attempt to turning it into "Focus-Assist lamp"?

On 25 Maj, 22:30, Alex <broscutama...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Alpha 12:
>
> - RLE cropmarks from Sztupy (5k of RAM compared to over 300k with
> classic cropmarks!)
>
> - All new features and fixes from 550D branch, seehttp://groups.google.com/group/ml-devel/browse_thread/thread/da15b5d1...
> (especially my posts starting from May 12). It would be nice if
> someone could compile a changelog :)
>
> Split focusing screen works much smoother than on 550D, because 60D
> refreshes focus data at a much higher rate :)
>
> Flash key still doesn't work in movie mode, so there's no false color
> shortcut for now. But DISP profiles are easier to switch (with the
> Metering button).
>
>  magiclantern-2011May25.60d.fw109.alpha12.alex.zip
> 170KZobaczPobierz

Jare(PL)

May 25, 2011, 6:15:14 PM5/25/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development
Few words about MovieModeRemap.
As I remember in earlier build MOVIE mode works as MOVIE mode even if
CA was remaped to MOVIE mode too.
Now when CA mode is remaped to MOVIE mode, original MOVIE position on
dial is repalaced with CA mode.

Advantage of this is that we don't loose CA mode, but...
at first: Are ML's advanced users really needs CA mode?
and secondly: today my friend (not familiar with ML) take my camera in
to his hands and try to record some video, and he fail to make it,
because in MOVIE mode dial position camera remains in CA mode and was
unable to record movie.

So maybe it will be better to change back to replacing CA mode with
MOVIE mode instead of mutualy exchanging them?
> > 170KZobaczPobierz- Ukryj cytowany tekst -
>
> - Pokaż cytowany tekst -

daniel thissen

May 25, 2011, 11:21:26 PM5/25/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Hi Alex, thanks for your work !!!!
I know you have a lot of request, but can you try to use another button for false color
shortcut?
False color is my favorite function in ML.

Thanks again.

Daniel from Perú

Captn Mike

May 25, 2011, 11:35:10 PM5/25/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com

False color seems to works from time to time by pressing the metering button the top.  This may be the route to go on the 60d

sent from my android phone

On May 25, 2011 8:21 PM, "daniel thissen" <thisse...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi Alex, thanks for your work !!!!
I know you have a lot of request, but can you try to use another button for false color
shortcut?
False color is my favorite function in ML.

Thanks again.

Daniel from Perú

2011/5/25 Alex <broscu...@gmail.com>

> Alpha 12:
>

> - RLE cropmarks from Sztupy (5k of RAM...

Malcolm Debono

May 26, 2011, 12:32:38 AM5/26/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
If I'm not mistaken, ISO->LV in movie mode starts/stops recording intentionally. This was reverted as some users find it more flexible to adjust the ISO and start recording immediately. To quit movie mode, just move the mode dial one stop back and forth.

jraiber

May 26, 2011, 3:12:46 AM5/26/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development
Hi Captn,
it's not working time to time. with the metering button you can switch
between complete liveview setups, called disp profiles. so you can set
up to 4 profiles (config menu) and you can set one with false color,
and one with others, or even nothing (global draw off). its the best
way for everybody to choose, what you want. better than covering one
button with a function others do not need.
so press metering, choose in liveview menu, press again, choose again.
than you can toggle between them.

btw.
this build is great!!!!
first look of CBR is huge improvement.
AND im very happy, that pushing iso+record, lets you set the iso and
than record, which is a common situation, i guess.
=)
Yea!

On 26 Mai, 05:35, Captn Mike <captnm...@gmail.com> wrote:
> False color seems to works from time to time by pressing the metering button
> the top.  This may be the route to go on the 60d
>
> sent from my android phone
>
> On May 25, 2011 8:21 PM, "daniel thissen" <thissendan...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Alex, thanks for your work !!!!
> I know you have a lot of request, but can you try to use another
> button for false
> color
> shortcut?
> False color is my favorite function in ML.
>
> Thanks again.
>
> Daniel from Perú

jraiber

May 26, 2011, 3:14:54 AM5/26/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development
yes, he's right. you have a mode dial for this, why don'you use it.
=)
you can even remap moviemode to a closer position. take a look at the
manual!!!

jan

Malcolm Debono

May 26, 2011, 5:38:08 AM5/26/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Same here... find it much more useful like this. I don't want to sound rude, but if you gave the camera to a friend who has no idea what ML is, you should have just restarted the camera and skipped ML.

I have just tried the latest release and it looks great! Well done on the new interface and features Alex (and whoever helped out)! The cropmarks look much more stable, and the ghost image works really well! Good job!

Malcolm Debono

May 26, 2011, 5:39:23 AM5/26/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
One question: how did you create 4 profiles? When clicking the metering button, I can only switch between profiles 0 and 1. Am I doing something wrong?

daniel thissen

May 26, 2011, 7:03:07 AM5/26/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone, thanks for your help, after I posted my question I found  the solution with display button.
Nice work by the way.
I crashed the camera in alpha 12 when I tried the draw palete function... error 70.
Thanks again.

2011/5/26 Malcolm Debono <mdeb...@gmail.com>
One question: how did you create 4 profiles? When clicking the metering button, I can only switch between profiles 0 and 1. Am I doing something wrong?

jraiber

May 26, 2011, 7:41:27 AM5/26/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development
go to the config menu and change the value of disp profiles. and than
every time you push the metering button you will switch to the next
one, which you can setup under the liveV menu.
i can't tell it enough, its a great idea to make it this way.

jan

MagicBrick

May 27, 2011, 9:40:08 AM5/27/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development
I recently installed ml alpha 12 for the first time since it is said
to somewhat usable now - I cannot afford to end up with a broken
camera, that's why I donated some for Alex to get a 60D to brick
instead (which apparently succeeded).

Most things work, but there are rough edged left, so the title 'alpha'
should be still applied. Apart from the development stage, imho trap
focus alone is worth buying an EOS, I really hope Canon would
appreciate that ml doesn't canibalize their sales and support it more
the future rather than trying to block fw updates...

I will put the first bugs I found in the tracker at
https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/issues - however, there are
some other things:

- My favorite annoyance on the 60D: The dof preview button. The Canon
engineers sure have thought about the worst position for this for
quite some time to distinguish this model from more expensive ones. I
guess that's the reason why there is no in-built method to remap
it ... Could it be done through ml? It would be great if the this
function could be e.g. placed on the UNLOCK button!

- HDR bracketing: Why on earth would ml only use the 2sec timer? If
there is no inherent restriction on this, an option to use high speed
serial pictures would be much appreciated since exposure fusion works
just fine without a tripod, too.

- 60D back wheel: it would be really nice to make some use of this,
especially since the cursor keys inside are more difficult to use than
on the 550d. At least in the menus it works for navigation. My
suggestion: Implement an additional mode for follow focus in live mode
by turning the wheel instead of the cursor keys - with the current
method, you can only move the af box when follow focus is off, thus
you have to decide between manual or auto focus up front and cannot
use both as required.

- Menu navigation: It would be nice if a way would be found to reverse
cycle through the values, it is annoying to have to press SET 99 times
to get from 3 to 2 in stack focus...

- Regressions from the 550D: it would be great to get custom iso
values on the 60D, too... and of course fixing magic.disable_bootdiskf
would be good for one's ease of mind.

- Another question: My camera is getting warmer and is using noticable
more battery charge with ml. Are there any hints which operations are
most cpu intensive (and thus should only be used when relly needed)?

MagicBrick

May 27, 2011, 9:51:02 AM5/27/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development
I recently installed ml alpha 12 for the first time since it is said
to somewhat usable now - I cannot afford to end up with a broken
camera, that's why I donated some for Alex to get a 60D to brick
instead (which apparently succeeded).

Most things work, but there are rough edged left, so the title 'alpha'
should be still applied. Apart from the development stage, imho trap
focus alone is worth buying an EOS, I really hope Canon would
appreciate that ml doesn't canibalize their sales and support it more
the future rather than trying to block fw updates...

I put the first bugs I found in this build in the tracker at
https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/issues - however, there are
some other things:

- My favorite annoyance on the 60D: The dof preview button. The Canon
engineers sure have thought about the worst position for this for
quite some time to distinguish this model from more expensive ones. I
guess that's the reason why there is no in-built method to remap
it ... Could it be done through ml? It would be great if the this
function could be e.g. placed on the UNLOCK button!

- HDR Bracketing: Why on earth would ml only use the 2sec timer? If

Alex

May 27, 2011, 11:16:20 AM5/27/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
> - My favorite annoyance on the 60D: The dof preview button.

:) right, even on 550D it's much more handy.

Remapping buttons:

Many buttons do not send events in certain modes, so ML can't intercept them.

> - HDR bracketing: Why on earth would ml only use the 2sec timer?

Should work better with audio trigger (I don't have the camera right
now to test).

> high speed serial pictures

Try the "take pics like crazy" mode; that will give the max speed
possible from ML.

> - Menu navigation: It would be nice if a way would be found to reverse
> cycle through the values, it is annoying to have to press SET 99 times
> to get from 3 to 2 in stack focus...

A menu with submenus will solve this (see Fernando's proposal,
http://magiclantern.wikia.com/wiki/GUIdelines )

> it would be great to get custom iso values on the 60D, too...

The 60D refuses them.

http://www.cinema5d.com/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=29632&p=189030#p189002 :)

> - Another question: My camera is getting warmer and is using noticable
> more battery charge with ml. Are there any hints which operations are
> most cpu intensive (and thus should only be used when relly needed)?

Almost all items from LiveV menu are CPU-intensive. I believe the most
power hungry is focus peaking. There are some power saving features
for LiveView, and more will be coming soon.