Reality Check -- how many hours per day do you...

$Zero

Jan 25, 2009, 11:49:17 AM1/25/09
Reality Check

how many hours per day do you spend facing a screen?

or... put more graphically...

what percentage of your life is spent facing a screen of some sort?

computer, television, etc..

part II

how has that percentage changed over the last couple decades?

and if it's not too much trouble, please also poll your family,
friends, co-workers, clients, customers, patrons, etc..

thanks.

-$Zero...

Pope Channels YouTube
http://groups.google.com/group/misc.writing/msg/d2131e3dcecd9b12

http://CakeBatterProductions.com

Ultraviolet

Jan 25, 2009, 12:04:22 PM1/25/09
On Jan 25, 8:49 am, "$Zero" <zeroi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Reality Check
>
> how many hours per day do you spend facing a screen?

10

> or... put more graphically...
>
> what percentage of your life is spent facing a screen of some sort?

10/24ths

> computer, television, etc..

> part II
>
> how has that percentage changed over the last couple decades?

Last decade, hasn't changed. Decade before that, much lower. Back then
I spent a lot of time doing arts & crafts on the Lucy tomato sauce
plan, which I just tried to look up on Youtube and Google and will
have to admit FAIL. But surely someone knows what I mean? She made
this great sauce, began selling it, got a bunch of orders, told Ricky
how much money she was gonna make, and then he asked what she paid for
the ingredients. Yeah, that.

> and if it's not too much trouble, please also poll your family,
> friends, co-workers, clients, customers, patrons, etc..

I polled Cocoa. She said fuck off. Cats! Whaddayagonnado?

--
UV

$Zero

Jan 25, 2009, 12:12:55 PM1/25/09
On Jan 25, 12:04 pm, Ultraviolet <paula.li...@gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

> Back then
> I spent a lot of time doing arts & crafts on the Lucy tomato sauce
> plan, which I just tried to look up on Youtube and Google and will
> have to admit FAIL.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvnnVdVtSos

anyway, i don't remember the Lucy tomato sauce episode.

maybe it was the Flintstones?

perhaps the Honeymooners, even.

or was it something other than tomato sauce?

vegamatic juice or somesuch.

-$Zero...

is this the best post i could write right now?
http://groups.google.com/group/misc.writing/msg/3df0e1c9adf7a586

http://CakeBatterProductions.com

$Zero

Jan 25, 2009, 12:28:11 PM1/25/09
On Jan 25, 12:12 pm, "$Zero" <zeroi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jan 25, 12:04 pm, Ultraviolet <paula.li...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> > Back then
> > I spent a lot of time doing arts & crafts on the Lucy tomato sauce
> > plan, which I just tried to look up on Youtube and Google and will
> > have to admit FAIL.
>
>  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvnnVdVtSos
>
> anyway, i don't remember the Lucy tomato sauce episode.
>
> maybe it was the Flintstones?
>
> perhaps the Honeymooners, even.
>
> or was it something other than tomato sauce?
>
> vegamatic juice or somesuch.

"This is about when Lucy and Ethel found out that
they are losing money instead of making money.
Also check out when they are selling the product"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTwzkrAWlXE

???

-$Zero...

if infinity truly has no shape,
perhaps it's nothing but a big scam.
http://groups.google.com/group/misc.writing/msg/90e73e87af7cab4e

Because there's not much of a market for truth
http://PureBullshitTimes.com

Mark

Jan 25, 2009, 12:31:24 PM1/25/09
On Jan 25, 12:12 pm, "$Zero" <zeroi...@gmail.com> wrote:

> vegamatic juice or somesuch.
>
> -$Zero...

http://www.lucylibrary.com/Pages/vita-label.l.html

Ultraviolet

Jan 25, 2009, 12:42:49 PM1/25/09
On Jan 25, 9:28 am, "$Zero" <zeroi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jan 25, 12:12 pm, "$Zero" <zeroi...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > On Jan 25, 12:04 pm, Ultraviolet <paula.li...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > [...]
>
> > > Back then
> > > I spent a lot of time doing arts & crafts on the Lucy tomato sauce
> > > plan, which I just tried to look up on Youtube and Google and will
> > > have to admit FAIL.
>
> >  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvnnVdVtSos

Ooh, I didn't know Barbara Eden was on a Lucy episode! (There was some
link from your link.) I love her.

> > anyway, i don't remember the Lucy tomato sauce episode.
>
> > maybe it was the Flintstones?

Definitely not.

> > perhaps the Honeymooners, even.

Didn't watch them.

> > or was it something other than tomato sauce?

Possibly.

> > vegamatic juice or somesuch.

Only if she's spending more on the ingredients than she can sell the
product for. That's the point, unless I hallucinated it.

>   "This is about when Lucy and Ethel found out that
>    they are losing money instead of making money.
>    Also check out when they are selling the product"
>
>  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTwzkrAWlXE
>
> ???

Maybe, but the scene I remember is when Ricky asks Lucy to tally up
what she needs to spend on ingredients to fill the orders, and then
she has to undo them so they don't go broke. Or something like that.

--
UV

$Zero

Jan 25, 2009, 12:52:40 PM1/25/09
On Jan 25, 12:04 pm, Ultraviolet <paula.li...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jan 25, 8:49 am, "$Zero" <zeroi...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Reality Check
>
> > how many hours per day do you spend facing a screen?
>
> 10
>
> > or... put more graphically...
>
> > what percentage of your life is spent facing a screen of some sort?
>
> 10/24ths

seven days a week?

that's part of the reason why i changed from hrs per day to percentage
of life.

anyway, 10/24ths.

whoa.

that's probably more than 60% of your waking life.

but i got you beat.

i'm probably "running" around 90%.

ten years ago, roughly the same, maybe about 75 - 80%.

twenty years ago?

likely something near 5 to 10% of my waking hours.

unless i was on some television binge of some sort between projects.

> > computer, television, etc..

> > part II
>
> > how has that percentage changed over the last couple decades?
>
> Last decade, hasn't changed. Decade before that, much lower.
> Back then I spent a lot of time doing arts & crafts

cool.

so you used your hands and eyes more then, right?

in a far more three dimensional way, i mean.

much freerer, positional-wise, i guess is what i'm getting at.

> on the Lucy tomato sauce
> plan, which I just tried to look up on Youtube and Google and will
> have to admit FAIL. But surely someone knows what I mean? She made
> this great sauce, began selling it, got a bunch of orders, told Ricky
> how much money she was gonna make, and then he asked what
> she paid for the ingredients. Yeah, that.

fun.

> > and if it's not too much trouble, please also poll your family,
> > friends, co-workers, clients, customers, patrons, etc..
>
> I polled Cocoa. She said fuck off. Cats! Whaddayagonnado?

i saw some great definition somewhere recently that described the
internet as nothing more than a means to send LOLCats to and fro.

-$Zero...

if pot became legal...
http://groups.google.com/group/misc.writing/msg/e797b0b281cb4d56

http://CakeBatterProductions.com

Gunter Glieben Glauchen Globen

Jan 25, 2009, 4:35:34 PM1/25/09
On Jan 25, 11:49 am, "$Zero" <zeroi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Reality Check
>
> how many hours per day do you spend facing a screen?
>
> or... put more graphically...
>
> what percentage of your life is spent facing a screen of some sort?
>
> computer, television, etc..

About 58/168. Or 35%.

I spend about 50% asleep. And the other 15% I eat and drive back and
forth.

boots

Jan 25, 2009, 4:59:02 PM1/25/09

I once suffered from that disease. Then I realized that most of the
50% of my time that was spent sleeping was wasted. <g>

I like your new handle, burn 'em up dude.

--
sig text to prevent insertion of advertising

$Zero

Jan 26, 2009, 12:40:10 AM1/26/09
On Jan 25, 12:42 pm, Ultraviolet <paula.li...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jan 25, 9:28 am, "$Zero" <zeroi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Jan 25, 12:12 pm, "$Zero" <zeroi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > On Jan 25, 12:04 pm, Ultraviolet <paula.li...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > [...]
>
> > >  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvnnVdVtSos
>
> Ooh, I didn't know Barbara Eden was on a Lucy episode!

really? which one?

> (There was some link from your link.) I love her.

yeah.

i had a crush on her, Samantha, Samantha's cousin (ooo baby), and
Catwoman.

> > > anyway, i don't remember the Lucy tomato sauce episode.
>
> > > maybe it was the Flintstones?
>
> Definitely not.

do you have something against cartoons in general, or just Fred and
Barney specifically?

> > > perhaps the Honeymooners, even.
>
> Didn't watch them.

classic, dude.

the blabbermouth episode was a work of art, for instance.

> > > or was it something other than tomato sauce?
>
> Possibly.

doilies, maybe.

> > > vegamatic juice or somesuch.
>
> Only if she's spending more on the ingredients than she can sell
> the product for. That's the point, unless I hallucinated it.

my mom and her sister were doing that.

they had three or four products which were completely selling out
every week.

the thing is, they were charging like $3.00 per, when it cost almost
them that in ingredients alone.

they never even thought to compute and add in their own labor costs in
any way.

still, somehow, when i told them to charge double, they thought i was
completely nuts.

they couldn't see the forest for the trees.

anyway, even charging triple+ they ended up selling out of stock every
single week.

it was majorly delicious stuff.

couldn't keep up with demand.

most people don't realize how the market actually works in reality.

it's not something they teach in public schools.

> >   "This is about when Lucy and Ethel found out that
> >    they are losing money instead of making money.
> >    Also check out when they are selling the product"
>
> >  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTwzkrAWlXE
>
> > ???
>
> Maybe, but the scene I remember is when Ricky asks Lucy to tally up
> what she needs to spend on ingredients to fill the orders, and then
> she has to undo them so they don't go broke. Or something like that.

so maybe that clip was the one.

-$Zero...

funly? i couldn't think of a better substitute. can you?
http://groups.google.com/group/misc.writing/msg/cff456a884e9fa55

http://CakeBatterProductions.com

$Zero

Jan 26, 2009, 12:55:23 AM1/26/09

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBEOauyrpWs

that's part one.

-$Zero...

Neil's an artist, not a piece of candy.
http://groups.google.com/group/misc.writing/msg/707eb24c19aca478

Whenever two or more people gather in
the spirit of love, it's a bickerfest!
http://bickerfest.com

Gunter Glieben Glauchen Globen

Jan 26, 2009, 1:44:17 AM1/26/09

Sometimes charging a higher price can signal that you're selling a
premium product, and increase sales, perversely.

$Zero

Jan 26, 2009, 2:11:12 AM1/26/09
On Jan 26, 1:44 am, Gunter Glieben Glauchen Globen
> > them almost that in ingredients alone.

> > they never even thought to compute and add in their own labor costs in
> > any way.
>
> > still, somehow, when i told them to charge double, they thought i was
> > completely nuts.
>
> > they couldn't see the forest for the trees.

they were too busy filling orders.

and not very good at math, let alone marketing.

> > anyway, even charging triple+ they ended up selling out of stock every
> > single week.
>
> > it was majorly delicious stuff.
>
> > couldn't keep up with demand.

> > most people don't realize how the market actually works in reality.
>
> > it's not something they teach in public schools.
>
> Sometimes charging a higher price can signal that you're selling a
> premium product, and increase sales, perversely.

especially if you can keep a straight face while doing so.

in their case, they had a quality product, but they couldn't imagine
anyone paying more for it than people did for similar products in the
grocery store.

they felt that it would be way out of line to charge more than the
store brands were.

they didn't realize the leverage they had in being the only source for
their particular variation.

nor how to proudly and boldly promote that feature.

they were overlooking the romantic nature of it all -- the fact that
they were two old Italian ladies cranking out their own family
recipes.

instead of seeing that as a plus, they viewed it as yet another reason
why they shouldn't charge more than the big corporate store brands
did. it was a case of seriously misplaced humility.

eventually, people were driving thirty+ miles to get their hands on
their stuff and it _still_ escaped them why anyone would pay more than
the store brands.

though, they soon stopped being embarrassed by the ever-increasing
prices they were asking.

heh.

-$Zero...

http://groups.google.com/group/misc.writing/msg/1483d297756de348