Severe DOMS - Legs, HELP!

1 view

Matt

Mar 25, 2007, 8:43:10 PM3/25/07
Hello - Man I hate doing Legs. After a round of squats and lunges, the
next 48 hours are almost unbearable in terms of soreness. I'm 26 and I
feel like a 90 year old man, I can't get in and out of cars, walk up
stairs, nothing. I was gimping down the street yesterday and I almost
got denied from a pub because the bouncer thought I was drunk. I had
to explain to him that my walking wasn't cerebral palsy or the result
of a dozen shots, but weighted lunges. I'm 6'4" 250 so I think he
understood after just a few seconds, but still.

My diet is fairly clean, chicken, potatoes, bagels, tuna, etc. I drink
2 shakes per day (low carb/low fat mixed with skim milk) and eat 3-4x
as needed. Turkey sandwiches, cottage cheese, eggs, etc. Of course it
could be better, but I make an attempt.

Is anyone in the same boat as me - if so, any remedies or
recommendations?

best,
MLV

joanne

Mar 25, 2007, 8:55:28 PM3/25/07
On Mar 25, 4:43 pm, "Matt" <mlv...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello - Man I hate doing Legs. After a round of squats and lunges, the
> next 48 hours are almost unbearable in terms of soreness.>
> Is anyone in the same boat as me - if so, any remedies or
> recommendations?

OTC pain relievers(Aleve/Tylenol etc) ..'IcyHot' - rollon stick pain
relief .. great stuff ..
Glutamine, by itself or in a creatine product like EAS's
BetaGen ..helps muscles to recover ..
http://www.supplementwatch.com/suplib/supplement.asp?DocId=1144

And if you are really overdoing it to such a crippling effect, maybe
cut back a bit? You might be setting yourself up for a more serious
injury by pushing too hard too soon.

joanne

Message has been deleted

Curt

Mar 25, 2007, 10:35:45 PM3/25/07
Matt wrote:

> <snip> After a round of squats and lunges,

> the next 48 hours are almost unbearable
> in terms of soreness. I'm 26 and I feel like
> a 90 year old man, I can't get in and out of
> cars, walk up stairs, nothing.

[...]

> Is anyone in the same boat as me - if so,
> any remedies or recommendations?

DOMS happens. Suck it up.

No, seriously. Suck it up.

"Ow, ow, ow! I did lunges and now my legs hurt. Waaah!" Stop.

> best,
> MLV

Okay, now that you've stopped crying, ya big (uh, did you say 6'6" and
280 lbs.?), ya ~*BIG*~ baby, hit Starbucks, pronto.

"That morning cup of coffee may be an antidote to post-exercise muscle
soreness, if preliminary research is correct.

Researchers found that a caffeine supplement seemed to lessen the
familiar muscle pain that crops up the day after a particularly
challenging workout.

Known as delayed-onset muscle soreness, or DOMS, the pain is common in
the day or two after a workout that was more intense than normal.
Exercise that involves eccentric contraction of the muscles is
particularly likely to cause delayed muscle pain.

In eccentric contraction, the muscle produces a force while it's being
lengthened. This happens when a person runs downhill, for example, or
lowers a weight during a bicep curl.

Exercisers and researchers alike have tried many ways to prevent DOMS
- including over-the-counter painkillers, stretching and massage - but
studies have found no cure-all for the problem." /copy and paste

More @:
http://today.reuters.com/news/articlenews.aspx?type=healthNews&storyid=2007-01-17T195046Z_01_HAR769880_RTRUKOC_0_US-CAFFEINE-PAIN.xml
aka http://tinyurl.com/2rr9ap

--
Curt

Pete

Mar 26, 2007, 2:38:32 AM3/26/07
"Matt" <mlv...@gmail.com> schreef in bericht

> Hello - Man I hate doing Legs. After a round of squats and lunges, the
> next 48 hours are almost unbearable in terms of soreness.

I always look forward to this kinda pain. It tells me i had a great workout.

--
Pete

Pete

Mar 26, 2007, 5:38:54 AM3/26/07
"Curt" <curt...@gmail.com> schreef:

>> Is anyone in the same boat as me - if so,
>> any remedies or recommendations?

> DOMS happens. Suck it up.

> No, seriously. Suck it up.

There used to be a girl in my gym who actually enjoyed the pain, and the
tight feeling along with it, in her glutes the days following squats.

She also enjoyed telling me about it. Tease...

I miss her.

--
Pete

Pete

Mar 26, 2007, 5:47:44 AM3/26/07
"Shute" <Sh...@nowhere.com> schreef:

> And every once in a while I take a bath.

Excuse me?

--
Pete

Pete

Mar 26, 2007, 6:11:28 AM3/26/07
"joanne" <jgr...@yahoo.com> schreef:

> OTC pain relievers(Aleve/Tylenol etc) ..'IcyHot' - rollon stick pain
> relief .. great stuff ..

Instead of fighting the pain, you should learn to appreciate it.

Sissy.

--
Pete

Steve Freides

Mar 26, 2007, 8:32:08 AM3/26/07
"Matt" <mlv...@gmail.com> wrote in message
> [...]

Common sense - stop doing what's making you so miserable immediately,
take a few days off, and add it back in slowly, at a much lower volume
and intensity. Keep it easy until you can do it without getting
terribly sore, then gradually work your way forward from there. I've
been there - for me, it was the first time I tried one-legged
deadlifts - had trouble walking, especially coming down stairs, for
almost a week. I do them alright now, but I've learned to do only a few
alternating singles if I haven't been doing them for a while and then
gradually ease myself back into doing them more regularly. It really is
just common sense.

-S-
http://www.kbnj.com

Bully

Mar 26, 2007, 8:31:28 AM3/26/07
In news:46079c4a$0$87780$dbd4...@news.wanadoo.nl,
Pete <phou...@wanadoo.nl> typed:

IOTW: suck it up :) !!!

--
Bully

"A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees
the opportunity in every difficulty." Sir Winston Churchill

Bully

Mar 26, 2007, 8:31:51 AM3/26/07
In news:460796ba$0$18657$dbd4...@news.wanadoo.nl,
Pete <phou...@wanadoo.nl> typed:

> "Shute" <Sh...@nowhere.com> schreef:
>
>> And every once in a while I take a bath.
>
> Excuse me?

Yeah, whether he needs one or not !!!

Curt

Mar 26, 2007, 4:44:21 PM3/26/07
Bully wrote:
[...]

> IOTW: suck it up :) !!!

"WISH I'D SAID THAT!" he yelled at Neil's kill file.

http://groups.google.com/group/misc.fitness.weights/msg/613540ad8e802eae

Oh. I did.

--
Curt

Lucas Buck

Mar 26, 2007, 5:01:08 PM3/26/07
On Mon, 26 Mar 2007 11:38:54 +0200, "Pete" <phou...@wanadoo.nl> wrote:

>"Curt" <curt...@gmail.com> schreef:
>
>>> Is anyone in the same boat as me - if so,
>>> any remedies or recommendations?
>
>> DOMS happens. Suck it up.
>
>> No, seriously. Suck it up.
>
>There used to be a girl in my gym who actually enjoyed the pain, and the
>tight feeling along with it, in her glutes the days following squats.

That wasn't from the *squats*. Trust me.

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Curt

Mar 26, 2007, 9:11:04 PM3/26/07
Pete wrote:
[...]

> There used to be a girl in my gym who
> actually enjoyed the pain, and the
> tight feeling along with it, in her glutes
> the days following squats.
>
> She also enjoyed telling me about it.
> Tease...

Lucky man.