MSCTF.dll was not found

garynich

May 3, 2010, 8:26:01 PM5/3/10
hello. first time here. At startup, an error "CTFMON.EXE - unable to locate
component. this application has failed because MSCTF.dll was not found.
re-installing the application may fix the problem". My pc is slow, sluggish
and programmes slow to respond. I don't have a virus, nor any malware, etc. I
downloaded a microsoft Hotfix that may solve the problem, but didn't work.
This happened at the last microsoft SP3 update. Have tried system restore, no
luck. Can someone help, or advise how to correct this error please?

garynich

May 3, 2010, 10:15:01 PM5/3/10

sgopus

May 3, 2010, 11:25:01 PM5/3/10
ctfmon is associated with office 2003.

What makes you so certain you don't have malware or virus, even the best
Antivirus software can be beat.

PA Bear [MS MVP]

May 4, 2010, 1:45:59 AM5/4/10

Ben Myers

May 4, 2010, 8:00:51 AM5/4/10
"garynich" <gary...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Expand a fresh copy of the "C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\MSCTF.DLL" file
from your Windows XP CD or from the "C:\I386" folder.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/888017

Ben

garynicholas

May 4, 2010, 8:26:20 PM5/4/10
hello Ben. thanks for your help. I don't have office 2003, only been using 2000. the problem had only developed at the last microsoft SP3 update. I'm not computer savy, but will do my best to follow your instructions. Gary.

Ben Myers wrote:

locatesluggishetc. InoExpand a fresh copy of the "C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\MSCTF.
04-May-10

locate
sluggish
etc. I
no

Expand a fresh copy of the "C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\MSCTF.DLL" file
from your Windows XP CD or from the "C:\I386" folder.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/888017

Ben

WPF Report Engine, Part 4
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials/aspnet/5ac799db-385f-431a-8a45-8b37cb7f3186/wpf-report-engine-part-4.aspx

garynicholas

May 4, 2010, 8:33:01 PM5/4/10
just one thing. i have the SP3 automatic updates. will the original XP Professional install cd still allow me to use it?

Ben Myers wrote:

locatesluggishetc. InoExpand a fresh copy of the "C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\MSCTF.
04-May-10

locate
sluggish
etc. I
no

Expand a fresh copy of the "C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\MSCTF.DLL" file

from your Windows XP CD or from the "C:\I386" folder.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/888017

Ben

Free Online Courses Available for Eggheadcafe.com Users
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials/aspnet/5261083e-6e03-4b25-8728-fc3cf6855293/free-online-courses-avail.aspx

PA Bear [MS MVP]

May 4, 2010, 9:01:57 PM5/4/10
[static.dimenoc.com strikes again...]

Ben Myers

May 5, 2010, 11:16:29 AM5/5/10

<GARY NICHOLAS> wrote in message news:2010542026...@westnet.com.au...

> hello Ben. thanks for your help. I don't have office 2003, only been using
2000. the problem had only developed at the last > microsoft SP3 update. I'm
not computer savy, but will do my best to follow your instructions. Gary.

Start the computer in question, click "Start", "Run", type "msconfig" into
the "Open" box
and click "OK". Then click "Expand File" and in the "File to Restore" box,
type "MSCTF.DLL".
In the "Restore from" box, click "Browse from" and select "C:\I386" or the
"I386" folder on
your Windows XP CD. Then in the "Save file in" box, type
"C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32". Then
click "Expand".

Ben