computer stops loading

Ronald Foltz

Feb 17, 2009, 4:19:00 PM2/17/09
i have a Dell running XP Pro svc pk 3. . just in the last couple of days,
the computer will not "load" completly when booting. . will stop at a
certain point and stop. .i manually turn it off, then back on and go into
"setup" do nothing there, click to boot. .does not load, turn off again
restart and it loads. . .any help/info greatly appreciated.
thanks Ronald (Gene) Foltz

Malke

Feb 17, 2009, 4:39:03 PM2/17/09
Ronald Foltz wrote:

The symptoms you describe usually mean that the power supply is failing.
Replace it. Assuming this is a desktop computer, that's an easy and
inexpensive thing to do. If this is a laptop, you'll need to call Dell tech
support.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

shawn

Feb 17, 2009, 4:56:23 PM2/17/09
I was going to suggest power supply or maybe a CPU fan? Although I doubt
your CPU would heat up that quickly to require the fan.

Check to see the fans are indeed running on your CPU and power supply. Maybe
they need dust blown out of them to make them spin freely.

You could also go into your BIOS and look for something to do with power. It
will usually show you what voltage your power supply is putting out. These
numbers will sometimes fluctuate a little, but not much.

"Malke" <ma...@invalid.invalid> wrote in message

Dan K

Feb 17, 2009, 6:16:08 PM2/17/09

"Malke" <ma...@invalid.invalid> wrote in message

I had the same problem a few weeks back With mt Dell.. I rememberd that I
had updated my video drivers from ATI. When I revertated back to the old
video drivers the problem went away.

Dan K.

Ronald Foltz

Feb 17, 2009, 7:23:27 PM2/17/09
I installed Trend Micro anti virus the other day. . would that have caused a
conflict??? I was also haveing e-mail and newsgroup problems since
installing the software but have since corrected them. . . any thoughts?
Thanks for your previous information. . .
"Dan K" <d...@tanywhere.com> wrote in message

Dan K

Feb 17, 2009, 9:41:39 PM2/17/09

"Ronald Foltz" <genf...@att.net> wrote in message

I dont see the Anti -Virus doing that, but maybe if you have a restore point
previous to installing it, why dont you try that. Otherwise, I think the
other fellow might be right about the power supply. I thought it was mine
until I remebered it happening after the driver update.

I also remeber my clock was gaing a lot of time.. I thought it might be the
bios battery. Dont reallt know if that would cause boot problems though..
The guys in here are a lot smarter then me on these issues. I am just
realting my own experience that seemed similar to yours.

Dan K.

Ronald Foltz

Feb 18, 2009, 3:04:02 PM2/18/09
Thanks Dan. . .i don't think that's the problem but thanks for the info

"Dan K" <d...@tanywhere.com> wrote in message

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Feb 18, 2009, 6:27:46 PM2/18/09
First of all, can you boot into Safe Mode?
www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/tutorial61.html

If not, how about Last Known Good Configuration?
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307852

What anti-virus application, if any, had been installed prior to the
installation of the Trend Micro (TM) application the other day and did you
uninstall it before installing the TM app?

I'm more than a little concerned here seeing as you'd recently "lost" all
your restore points (cf. your thread from 13 Feb:
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsxp.general/browse_frm/thread/f50f505646bfd06).
All of this "smells" like a hijackware infection.

[[Totally OT: Are you or is your family originally from Lancaster County,
Pennsylvania?]]
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net

Ronald (Gene) Foltz wrote:
> I installed Trend Micro anti virus the other day. . would that have caused
> conflict??? I was also haveing e-mail and newsgroup problems since
> installing the software but have since corrected them. . . any thoughts?
> Thanks for your previous information. . .

<SNIP>

>>> The symptoms you describe usually mean that the power supply is failing.
>>> Replace it. Assuming this is a desktop computer, that's an easy and
>>> inexpensive thing to do. If this is a laptop, you'll need to call Dell
>>> tech support.
>>>
>>> Malke

w_tom

Feb 18, 2009, 7:38:13 PM2/18/09
On Feb 17, 4:19 pm, "Ronald Foltz" <genfo...@att.net> wrote:
> i have a Dell running XP Pro svc pk 3. . just in the last couple of days,
> the computer will not "load" completly when booting. . will stop at a
> certain point and stop. .

Break the problem down into parts because I can probably list 50
different reasons for your symptoms. Don't waste time trying to fix
it. First learn what is wrong. Decision time. Do you choose to
identify a hardware problem or a software problem?

For example if you suspect hardware, then it is a Dell. Unlike
inferior machines, it comes with comprehensive hardware diagnostics
that load and execute without software complications - without
Windows. Only the better computer manufacturers provide diagnostic -
on the hard drive, on a provided CD, and from the web site.

Or software. Well, booting options include the ability to see each
filename as each driver loads. Where does it stop? Without that
answer, then everything performed is nothing more than wild
speculation. If the problem is loading a driver, then the list stops
on the file that does not load properly.

Meanwhile, of course you have reviewed Device manager and system
(event) logs for failures. Windows routinely finds a problem, records
it, then works around it. You don't learn about the failure until you
are ready to find and fix it. But again, another example of not
trying to fix anything yet. First get the facts.

Well, it stops. Stops where? That would have better defined with
diagnosis path to take first - hardware or software. All those post
that said "I saw this and did that" don't provide any useful facts
since I could list another 50 'try this and try that' suggestions.
First find a problem. Fixing it comes later. Trying to find a
problem by first fixing it even wastes time by curing symptoms. Not
even known yet is where it 'stops'. In BIOS execution? While loading
Windows drivers?

Daave

Feb 18, 2009, 8:17:00 PM2/18/09
"Malke" <ma...@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
> Ronald Foltz wrote:
>
>> i have a Dell running XP Pro svc pk 3. . just in the last couple of
>> days,
>> the computer will not "load" completly when booting. . will stop at a
>> certain point and stop. .i manually turn it off, then back on and go
>> into
>> "setup" do nothing there, click to boot. .does not load, turn off
>> again
>> restart and it loads. . .any help/info greatly appreciated.
>> thanks Ronald (Gene) Foltz
>
> The symptoms you describe usually mean that the power supply is
> failing.
> Replace it. Assuming this is a desktop computer, that's an easy and
> inexpensive thing to do. If this is a laptop, you'll need to call Dell
> tech
> support.

Piggybacking on what Malke said...

I agree with her that it's quite possibly a hardware problem,
specifically the power supply. But you can also try what PA Bear
suggested: Safe Mode or Last Known Good Configuration. Or you can try
configuring your BIOS to boot off your CD drive and boot off something
like a Knoppix, UBCD4Win, or Hiren's Boot CD. (Or an XP installation CD
if you have one!) This way you can determine for sure if your problem is
software- or hardware-related.

What is the model and model number of this Dell? Did it come with a
diagnostic CD or hidden hard drive partition? (They usually do.)

jo...@diydatarecovery.nl

Feb 23, 2009, 3:52:16 AM2/23/09
Or you can try
> configuring your BIOS to boot off your CD drive and boot off something
> like a Knoppix, UBCD4Win, orHiren'sBoot CD. (Or an XP installation CD

> if you have one!) This way you can determine for sure if your problem is
> software- or hardware-related.

Due to the inclusion of pirated copyrighted works, Hiren's Boot CD is
legally considered "warez" and pirated intellectual property;
downloading and/or possessing the CD has various legal implications
according to the persons global location such as violation of the
Digital Millennium Copyright Act in the USA.

genf...@att.net

Feb 28, 2009, 8:24:00 PM2/28/09
On Feb 18, 6:27 pm, "PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABear...@gmail.com> wrote:
> First of all, can you boot into Safe Mode?www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/tutorial61.html
>
> If not, how about Last Known Good Configuration?http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307852

> What anti-virus application, if any, had been installed prior to the
> installation of the Trend Micro (TM) application the other day and did you
> uninstall it before installing the TM app?

> I'm more than a little concerned here seeing as you'd recently "lost" all
> your restore points (cf. your thread from 13 Feb:http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsxp.general/bro...).

> All of this "smells" like a hijackware infection.
>
> [[Totally OT: Are you or is your family originally from Lancaster County,
> Pennsylvania?]]
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Adminhttp://aumha.net
> DTS-Lhttp://dts-l.net/

> Ronald (Gene) Foltz wrote:
> > I installed Trend Micro anti virus the other day. . would that have caused
> > conflict??? I was also haveing e-mail and newsgroup problems since
> > installing the software but have since corrected them. . . any thoughts?
> > Thanks for your previous information. . .
> <SNIP>

> >> I had the same problem a few weeks back With mt Dell.. I rememberd that I
> >> had updated my video drivers from ATI.  When I revertated back to the old
> >> video drivers the problem went away.
>
> >> Dan K.

Hello Bear. . . got the problem fixed. . you guessed it. . i had the
AIG Free on the computer and installed the Trend Micro before
uninstalling the other. . and to answer your other question. . there
are a lot of Foltz' PA. . along with Houpe
i'm sure that's where we are from
Thanks for all your input and information. . sorry it's been so
long getting back to you. . .thanks again. . . .. Gene