Re: Install of SP3 problems

Message has been deleted

philo

Sep 9, 2010, 2:34:00 AM9/9/10
On 09/08/2010 10:40 PM, The Seabat wrote:

> Have a Sony VIAO desktop with Windows XP Home SP1 loaded. Intel CPU
> and 512mb RAM. I tried loading SP3 from the exe file that I downloaded
> from the Microsoft web site. It complained that it couldn't backup a
> msscp.dll file from \Windows\system32 folder, but it let me ignor/skip
> it and go ahead with the install anyway. After the first boot the
> system hung on the black screen with the cursor for a long time (4
> min). This was a fresh instal. When it finished booting (finally!) it
> was slower than snot. And most of the text in program windows and
> control panel was missing?? Even the text under desktop icons. I
> checked during and after the instal, that msscp.dll was there the
> whole time.
>
> Reinstalled and started from scratch again. This time I loaded SP2 and
> got the same warning about the msscp.dll file and went ahead and
> installed any how. Everything seems to be working fine. Loaded all her
> programs up and not a hitch! So what happened and what the hell is
> this msccp.dll file and why can't I load SP3 onto this machine?
>
> Yes, there was plenty of hard drive space. I had defragged after the
> initial install of WinXP. I'm half tempted to leave this puppy sitting
> at SP2 and forget this SP3 fandango. Any ideas/help?? Thanks.
>
> The Seabat

You could try creating a slipstreamed SP3 cd and perform a fresh install
with that

http://lifehacker.com/386526/slipstream-service-pack-3-into-your-windows-xp-installation-cd

Jerry Ed

Sep 9, 2010, 4:30:19 AM9/9/10
Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2) or Windows XP Service Pack 1a (SP1a)
must be preinstalled before you install Windows XP Service Pack 3 (SP3).

Differences between Windows XP Service Pack 1 (SP1) and Service Pack 1a
(SP1a).
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/813926

My Windows XP CD came with SP2, so I didn't have any problems installing
SP3,
except for one. I got the error message "Access is denied - Service Pack
installation did not complete".

This problem was fixed by following instructions under "ADVANCED
TROUBLESHOOTING",
"Let me fix it myself" at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949377.

It took 12 minutes for the fix to run.
Then the second attempt to install SP3 was successful.

JE

"The Seabat" <sea...@boardermail.com> wrote in message

> Have a Sony VIAO desktop with Windows XP Home SP1 loaded. Intel CPU
> and 512mb RAM. I tried loading SP3 from the exe file that I downloaded
> from the Microsoft web site. It complained that it couldn't backup a
> msscp.dll file from \Windows\system32 folder, but it let me ignor/skip
> it and go ahead with the install anyway. After the first boot the
> system hung on the black screen with the cursor for a long time (4
> min). This was a fresh instal. When it finished booting (finally!) it
> was slower than snot. And most of the text in program windows and
> control panel was missing?? Even the text under desktop icons. I
> checked during and after the instal, that msscp.dll was there the
> whole time.
>
> Reinstalled and started from scratch again. This time I loaded SP2 and
> got the same warning about the msscp.dll file and went ahead and
> installed any how. Everything seems to be working fine. Loaded all her
> programs up and not a hitch! So what happened and what the hell is
> this msccp.dll file and why can't I load SP3 onto this machine?
>
> Yes, there was plenty of hard drive space. I had defragged after the
> initial install of WinXP. I'm half tempted to leave this puppy sitting
> at SP2 and forget this SP3 fandango. Any ideas/help?? Thanks.
>
> The Seabat
>

> --
> The seabat
> Filtering GoogleGroups & Goobers with extreme prejudice!
> Usenet Improvement Project: R.I.P. Lee aka Blinky the Shark

Message has been deleted

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Sep 9, 2010, 12:25:59 PM9/9/10
If you're running WinXP SP1, you can't possibly have a functional anti-virus
application running on that box.

See...

Cleaning a Compromised System

Back-up any personal data (none of which should be considered 100%
trustworthy at this point) then format the HDD & do a clean install of
Windows. Please note that a Repair Install (AKA in-place upgrade) will NOT
fix this!

HOW TO do a clean install of WinXP: See
http://michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html#steps and/or Method 1 in
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/978307

After the clean install, you will have the equivalent of a "new computer" so
take care of EVERYTHING on the following page BEFORE otherwise connecting
the machine to the internet or a local network (i.e., other computers) AND
BEFORE connecting a flash drive, SDCard, or any other external drive to the
computer:

4 steps to help protect your new computer before you go online
http://www.microsoft.com/security/pypc.aspx

Other helpful references include:

HOW TO get a computer running WinXP Gold (no Service Packs) fully patched
(after a clean install)
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsupdate/msg/3f5afa8ed33e121c

HOW TO get a computer running WinXP SP1(a) or SP2 fully patched (after a
clean install)
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsxp.general/msg/a066ae41add7dd2b

Tip: After getting the computer fully-patched, download/install KB971029
manually before connecting any external drive to the computer:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971029

NB: Any Norton or McAfee free-trial that came preinstalled on the computer
when you bought it will be reinstalled (but invalid) when Windows is
reinstalled. You MUST uninstall the free-trial AND download/run the
appropriate removal tool BEFORE installing any updates, Windows Service
Packs or IE upgrades AND BEFORE installing your new anti-virus application
(which will require WinXP SP3 to be installed).

Norton Removal Tool
ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/english_us_canada/removal_tools/Norton_Removal_Tool.exe

McAfee Consumer Products Removal Tool
http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/MCPR.exe
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

The Seabat wrote:
> Have a Sony VIAO desktop with Windows XP Home SP1 loaded...

Message has been deleted

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Sep 10, 2010, 11:46:54 AM9/10/10
The Seabat wrote:

> The machine has not been connected to the net yet, so why would I need
> a functional anti-virus installed?...

Well, you didn't tell us that in your first post, did you?

> Update: I have installed XP again and successfully (or so it appears)
> installed SP2...

If you'd read
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsxp.general/msg/a066ae41add7dd2b,
you'd have known that you could skip SP2 and just install SP3 & all post-SP3
updates.
--
~PA Bear

Barry Schwarz

Sep 10, 2010, 8:34:33 PM9/10/10
On Fri, 10 Sep 2010 07:45:12 -0500, The Seabat
<sea...@boardermail.com> wrote:

snip

>The machine has not been connected to the net yet, so why would I need

>a functional anti-virus installed? I figure that can wait 'till I'm
>ready to connect. WinXP SP1 is installed via the hidden partition on

An anti-virus program will also protect your system if you ever mount
any contaminated media, such as CDs, DVDs, USB drive, etc.

--
Remove del for email

Message has been deleted

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Sep 11, 2010, 1:24:31 AM9/11/10
> No, I didn't. My bad. And the question was not meant as a smart ass
> reply. I still would like to know why. SP2 is a disc I got directly
> from Microsoft and SP3 (both styles) were downloaded from the
> Microsoft web site. Both were scanned by my anti-virus on my machine,
> not the Sony. Every thing else is being installed from the recovery
> partition on the hard drive.

>>> If you'd read
>>> http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsxp.general/msg/a066ae41add7dd2b,
>>> you'd have known that you could skip SP2 and just install SP3 & all
>>> post-SP3 updates.
>
> I knew that before I started. That's what I did the first time when
> everything turned out crappy. I installed SP3 right on top of the
> original SP1.
> This time I installed SP2 on top of SP1 and so far so good. Still
> leery about installing SP3 on this box. I'm getting tired of install
> Windows on this thing! <smile>

Why do you keep having to (re)install Windows? I've never had to do so.

Message has been deleted

BillW50

Sep 11, 2010, 3:17:09 PM9/11/10
On 9/11/2010 1:56 PM, The Seabat wrote:
> Let's just call it a fetish! I don't like having a brand new install
> that has to be screwed with to get it to work right. After a fresh
> install a box should be a mean, lean, smoking machine, not having to
> use a crutch right off the bat.

I totally agree with you. Nothing like a fresh system. It is like buying
a brand new system without the expense. ;-)

--
Bill
Thunderbird Portable 3.0 (20091130)

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Sep 11, 2010, 4:06:31 PM9/11/10
The Seabat wrote:
<snip>

>> Why do you keep having to (re)install Windows? I've never had to do so.
>
> Let's just call it a fetish! I don't like having a brand new install
> that has to be screwed with to get it to work right. After a fresh
> install a box should be a mean, lean, smoking machine, not having to
> use a crutch right off the bat.

Next time around, do it the right way & chances are you'll never need to do
it again. See
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsxp.general/msg/0793bb06ff33558f