Windows updates

Rob Graham

Mar 16, 2010, 12:20:08 PM3/16/10
I'm finding that Security Update for SQL Server 2005 Service Pack 3
(KB970892) never gets installed, but I don't know why. It just says it
can't install it. Whether this really matters or not I don't know but
it's a pain having this constantly reminding me to let it do something
that it can't or won't do.

What's the answer?

Rob Graham

Mar 16, 2010, 12:41:31 PM3/16/10

Try disabling your anti virus real time protection before attempting the
update again. Once it finishes installing, re-enable the AV.

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Mar 16, 2010, 1:14:37 PM3/16/10
See the "How to obtain help" section of
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/970892

(and/or 1-866-234-6020 and/or 1-800-936-5700) in the United States and in
Canada or by contacting your local Microsoft subsidiary. There is no-charge
for support calls that are associated with security updates. When you call,
clearly state that your problem is related to a Security Update and cite the
update's KB number (e.g., KB970892).

Or you can...

Customers who experience issues installing Microsoft security updates also
can visit the following pages for assistance:
http://support.microsoft.com/ph/6527#tab3

your usual support contacts.

Rob Graham

Mar 17, 2010, 11:04:41 AM3/17/10

Doesn't work, I regret to say!

Donald Anadell

Mar 17, 2010, 11:29:17 AM3/17/10

"Rob Graham" <rttg...@btinternet.com> wrote in message

See the following for a possible solution:
http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en/sqlexpress/thread/bad23a21-2009-46ad-b4d8-1c4fcd796050

Good luck,

Donald Anadell

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Mar 17, 2010, 3:04:34 PM3/17/10

Rob Graham

Mar 18, 2010, 7:55:17 AM3/18/10

Thanks for your help here, guys. Unfortunately your recommendations were
of no avail but I did discover that I have only one program (AFAIK) that
uses SQL. Since I haven't used this prog for over two years, and could
reinstall if necessary I've deleted it, after consultation with the
program makers, who were unable to say why the update would not install.
They also said that the update was unnecessary, given that the prog
worked perfectly fine. However I was annoyed at having the constant icon
reminding me to install the update, and now I don't have that! Problem
solved.

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Mar 18, 2010, 1:59:44 PM3/18/10
Rob Graham wrote:
> On 16/03/2010 16:20, Rob Graham wrote:
>> I'm finding that Security Update for SQL Server 2005 Service Pack 3
>> (KB970892) never gets installed, but I don't know why. It just says it
>> can't install it. Whether this really matters or not I don't know but
>> it's a pain having this constantly reminding me to let it do something
>> that it can't or won't do.
>>
> Thanks for your help here, guys. Unfortunately your recommendations were
> of no avail but I did discover that I have only one program (AFAIK) that
> uses SQL. Since I haven't used this prog for over two years, and could
> reinstall if necessary I've deleted it, after consultation with the
> program makers, who were unable to say why the update would not install.
> They also said that the update was unnecessary, given that the prog
> worked perfectly fine. However I was annoyed at having the constant icon
> reminding me to install the update, and now I don't have that! Problem
> solved.

Have you even bothered to open a no-charge support incident yet?

> They also said that the update was unnecessary, given that the prog
> worked perfectly fine.

It's a friggin' SECURITY update, d00d!

<QP>
This security update resolves several privately reported vulnerabilities in
Microsoft Windows GDI+. These vulnerabilities could allow remote code
execution if a user viewed a specially crafted image file using affected
software or browsed a Web site that contains specially crafted content...
</QP>
Source: http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS09-062.mspx

I dunno who "they" are but "they" did NOT provide you with SQL Server 2005.

Message has been deleted

Rob Graham

Mar 18, 2010, 4:32:11 PM3/18/10

> Have you even bothered to open a no-charge support incident yet?

Don't need to now.

>> They also said that the update was unnecessary, given that the prog
>> worked perfectly fine.
>
> It's a friggin' SECURITY update, d00d!

Yeah OK.

> <QP>
> This security update resolves several privately reported vulnerabilities
> in Microsoft Windows GDI+. These vulnerabilities could allow remote code
> execution if a user viewed a specially crafted image file using affected
> software or browsed a Web site that contains specially crafted content...
> </QP>
> Source: http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS09-062.mspx
>
> I dunno who "they" are but "they" did NOT provide you with SQL Server 2005.

I didn't say they did. But it got on my computer somehow and I linked it
to this software because its name was in the title of the SQL server in
the list of services.

Rob Graham

Mar 19, 2010, 4:04:39 AM3/19/10
On 18/03/2010 20:21, Rhonda Lea Kirk Fries wrote:

> PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
>> Rob Graham wrote:
>>> On 16/03/2010 16:20, Rob Graham wrote:
> <snipped>

>> I dunno who "they" are but "they" did NOT provide you with SQL
>> Server 2005.
>
> "They"=The "program makers" of the "only program [he] has that uses SQL," a
> program which "[he has not] used in two years."
>
> He deleted it, which solved the problem to his satisfaction, so there's no
> reason for your exasperation or for him to open a support incident. Chill.

Thanks!!

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Mar 19, 2010, 1:50:48 PM3/19/10
Please don't feed the trolls, especially that troll.