Cannot get auto-updtes enabled.

Ed

Nov 7, 2008, 1:10:05 PM11/7/08
Red shield appeared unexpectedly on task bar noting auto-updates off. Clicked
to fix. Clicked on "turn on auto update". Message appeared: "We're sorry,
the Security Center can't get the job done." So went to Start/Control
Panel/system/auto updates, and that window says Auto updates are on.
Rebooted. Red shield back.Turned off auo updates and rebooted and turned on
again. Red Shield still there. Tried to manually update, but received this
message:

The site cannot continue because one or more of these Windows services is
not running:
Automatic Updates (allows the site to find, download and install
high-priority updates for your computer)
Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS) (helps updates download more
quickly and without problems if the download process is interrupted)
Event Log (keeps a record of updating activities to help with
troubleshooting, if needed)
To make sure these services are running:
1. Click Start, and then click Run.
2. Type services.msc and then click OK.
3. In the list of services, double-click on Automatic Updates and then click
Properties.
4. In the Startup type list, select Automatic and click Apply.
5. Verify that the Service status is started, if the Service Status is
Stopped click on the Start Button.
6. In the list of services, double-click on Background Intelligent Transfer
Service (BITS) and then click Properties.
7. In the Startup type list, select Manual and click Apply.
8. Verify that the Service status is started, If the Service Status is
Stopped click on the Start Button.
9. In the list of services, double-click on Event Log and then click
Properties.
10. In the Startup type list, select Automatic and click Apply.
11. Verify that the Service status is started, If the Service Status is
Stopped click on the Start Button.

Did 1, 2, 3 &4, but whenever click Apply Automatic reverts to Disabled. Will
not start. Happily 6-11 OK.
--
Thanks for your help! Ed

Engel

Nov 7, 2008, 1:19:01 PM11/7/08
Hello Ed,

If you are referring to the Automatic Update service, have the system
scanned here for the presence of a malware known as Vundo\Virtumonde:
<http://onecare.live.com/site/en-us/tryscanner.htm>
-=-

First - ensure you do not have "Vundo".

It seems possible that your Windows installation has been deliberately
damaged by a trojan (Vundo, along any uninvited guests. (SDBot and ZLOB, all
protected by a rootkit.)) so as to prevent you updating your system or
removing the trojan.

Your first priority must be to cleanse your PC of all malware.

A very good antimalware app is SUPERAntiSpyware.

There is a free version (on demand scanning only), the paid for version
includes active monitoring, similar to Windows defender:
<http://www.superantispyware.com/>
The trial version of SUPERAntiSpyware Pro (SAS):
<http://www.superantispyware.com/superantispywarefreevspro.html>

Have a look at this articles. It may be relevant to your problem.

The above explanation was for a previous Version of BITS but, there has been
an update for BITS since Vista came out.
<http://support.microsoft.com/kb/939159>

Is BITS disabled ? It can be set to Manual and the system will update
successfully but, will not update if BITS is Disabled.

Suggest you run the BITS Repair Tool to see if that helps resolve the issue
after installing the update for it:
<http://support.microsoft.com/kb/940520>

This will give you a starting point for your troubleshooting anyway.

Please let us know if the problem remains

Ǝиçεl
-=-

- -- ---

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Nov 7, 2008, 3:04:58 PM11/7/08
There's a very strong possibility that you have a Vundo infection, which is
usually accompanied by ZLOB and/or SDBot infections, all of which are
protected by a rootkit.

Run a thorough check for hijackware, including posting your hijackthis log
to an appropriate forum.

Checking for/Help with Hijackware
http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=5878
http://wiki.castlecops.com/Malware_Removal_and_Prevention:_Introduction
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

When all else fails, HijackThis v2.0.2
http://spywarehammer.com/simplemachinesforum/index.php?board=10.0,

Support for Windows Update:

security updates.
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net

Ed

Nov 7, 2008, 9:41:00 PM11/7/08
Thanks. I am running Onecare now. Fortunately, the problem is on my wife's
laptop, so I can still use mine. I will follow all of your suggestions before
going to PABear's more complicated solution. I did notice that a number of
people have had the same problem. BITS and the Event Log ARE running. I shall
report further after Onecare has completed.

Ed

Nov 7, 2008, 9:51:00 PM11/7/08
Just noticed in upper right corner of "This site cannot continue because...."
[Error number: 0xDDD0018], which is not quite the same as Diana, two threads
up. Does the error number help any?

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Nov 7, 2008, 10:05:06 PM11/7/08
In that case, CrystalBall© sez...

Update, or by using Automatic Updates after you perform a new Windows XP
installation or you repair a Windows XP installation
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943144
--
~PA Bear

Ed

Nov 7, 2008, 10:50:00 PM11/7/08
Thanks to both of you for your prompt and informed assistance. After I ran
Onecare, which found "16 items and 3 issues" [but didn't identify what they
were], Onecare cleaned and repaired all of them. I rebooted, the balloon
warning that Automatic Updates was not turned on came up as before, but when
I clicked on "Turn on Automatic UIpdates," it worked! Now I have an "ON" for
Firewall, Auto-updates, and Virus protection in the window at Start/Control
Panel/ Security Center.

Thank you again!

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Nov 8, 2008, 3:28:03 PM11/8/08
YW & thanks for your feedback. Still, I would encourage you to post your
HijackThis log in an appropriate forum for review by an expert in such
matters. Just because AU is working now does not necessarily mean the
machine's free of all hijackware and safe to use, Ed.

Ed

Nov 8, 2008, 7:19:00 PM11/8/08
I have searched for "Hijack" and also for ".log" and can find nothing on the
computer that "might" be the sort of log you suggest. Got any suggestions as
where to look?

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Nov 8, 2008, 8:09:49 PM11/8/08

Mimi

Nov 8, 2008, 11:16:00 PM11/8/08

Mimi

Nov 8, 2008, 11:22:00 PM11/8/08
Sorry for the blank post - new on here. Thanks for the link to OneCare. It
took 2 hours for the scan to do it's stuff, but the problem is finally fixed.
Wasted 3 hours before I went there trying other things. What a way to spend
Saturday evening! May whomever is responsible for this malware thing get
caught.

Engel

Nov 9, 2008, 12:47:01 PM11/9/08

Hello Mimi,

Welcome to the group Windows Update

Excellent--glad OneCare
<http://onecare.live.com/site/en-us/tryscanner.htm>

you got that going, and thanks for helping others with your report.

Doesn't hurt to try Robear Dyer's recommendation tu run Hijackthis
<http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsupdate/msg/614f3cae9f51f3c2>

Good luck

Ǝиçεl
-=-

Ed

Nov 10, 2008, 9:14:01 AM11/10/08
Great! I'm glad it helped. I suggested OneCare to all of my family if they
have a problem. It's nice to be in a enviornment where people actually try
to help each other. I'm going to HiJack next.