Re: KB110806 & KB929300 Install Failure

MowGreen [MVP]

Jan 23, 2008, 11:25:10 PM1/23/08
I've dealt with .NET Security updates installation issues by using the
advice posted by the .NET guru, Aaron Stebner. Since I get paid for this
type of work, I can tell you that it is the fastest, least dangerous
method to getting this issue resolved -

http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2006/05/30/611355.aspx

Aaron suggests one attempt uninstalling the .NET Frameworks via
Add/Remove Programs. If that does not work, then use the Automated
cleanup tool.
* NOTE *: Any software that requires a specific .NET Framework in order
for it to run should be shut down and Disabled from starting on a
reboot. This will eliminate error messages on the reboot and make it
facilitate Removing the affected .NET Framework via Add/Remove Programs.

After rebooting, run the Windows Installer Cleanup tool and follow the
steps laid out in the MSKB that PA Bear posted *IF* you could Remove the
.NET Frameworks via Add/Remove Programs:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923100

IF the Automated cleanup tool was used because a .NET Framework could
not be Removed via ARP, then there is *no need* to run the Windows
Installer Cleanup tool.

Then redownload the .NET Frameworks that were uninstalled from the
Microsoft Download Center and SAVE them.
Input .NET Framework x in the Search field and click Go:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/Search.aspx?

Recommend creating a folder for the .NET Frameworks on the root drive
[ the drive where Windows is installed to ], naming it DotNet, and
moving the downloaded runtimes and subsequent downloaded Security
updates/ Service Packs to that folder.
YMMV, but it's worked flawlessly for clients' systems for the past year.

Install the .NET Frameworks ONE at a time, restarting if requested to.
[ You will need to create a subfolder in the DotNet folder in order to
install both .NET 1.0 and 1.1 as the installer is the same name for both
runtimes ]
Reboot *each* time that you are requested to.

After all the desired runtimes are installed, go to the Windows or
Microsoft Update sites. After the site loads do a CUSTOM scan for needed
updates. Write down the KB numbers of the ones that are suggested AND---
* the order in which they are listed *

Then visit the Microsoft Update Catalog -
http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/Home.aspx

Enter the KB article number in the Search box and click Search.
[ex: KB110806 ]
*Make sure* you download the correct runtime updates/service packs for
XP 32 bit [x86]. You can confirm this by checking for
Architecture: X86
on the Update Details page when you click on an update.
When you locate the correct ones, click the Add to Basket button for
each of them. Then click the Close button.
Enter the next KB number, repeat, lather, rinse <w>
Click the Go to Download basket link and then click the Download button.
Follow the prompts.

When you've downloaded them all, move them to the DotNet folder and
install them in the order they were listed on the Windows/Microsoft
Update sites. ALWAYS reboot if/when requested to.

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

deltaseq0 wrote:

> Of all the threads for the install failure for these .NET framework updates,
> I haven't seen any that offered a solution save one involving a video driver
> conflict. Like many others, I've tried the auto and manual updates. The only
> other advice I've seen refers to PA Bear advice to uninstall the frameworks,
> clean the installer, reinstall the frameworks then check for updates as
> described in http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923100 . Is there any experience
> that this approach works or are you digging a bigger hole? Any other thoughts
> available out there?
> Mike
> XP Home SP2

deltaseq0

Jan 24, 2008, 1:16:04 PM1/24/08
That works for me.
Thanks for your detailed instructions.
Mike

"MowGreen [MVP]" wrote:

> I've dealt with .NET Security updates installation issues by using the
> advice posted by the .NET guru, Aaron Stebner. Since I get paid for this
> type of work, I can tell you that it is the fastest, least dangerous
> method to getting this issue resolved -
>
> http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2006/05/30/611355.aspx
>
> Aaron suggests one attempt uninstalling the .NET Frameworks via
> Add/Remove Programs. If that does not work, then use the Automated
> cleanup tool.
> * NOTE *: Any software that requires a specific .NET Framework in order
> for it to run should be shut down and Disabled from starting on a
> reboot. This will eliminate error messages on the reboot and make it
> facilitate Removing the affected .NET Framework via Add/Remove Programs.
>
> After rebooting, run the Windows Installer Cleanup tool and follow the
> steps laid out in the MSKB that PA Bear posted *IF* you could Remove the

> ..NET Frameworks via Add/Remove Programs:

MowGreen [MVP]

Jan 25, 2008, 6:44:16 AM1/25/08
You're mowst welcome, Mike. Make sure you keep the installation files on
the system [ in the DotNet folder ] as they may/could/will/probably be
needed in case a .NET Framework becomes corrupted and then you can use
the Repair option in Add/Remove Programs in the Control Panel instead of
having to go throught this whole process again.

olaf....@telenet.be

Feb 25, 2008, 10:25:51 AM2/25/08

I don't want to barge in just like that, but I have read this thread
and I have a serious problem with repairing / deinstalling both
Microsoft.NET Framework 2.0 and 3.0. AAMOF, deinstalling / repairing
suggestions as mentioned here did not work for me at all. I have
posted a subject on the matter at
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsupdate/browse_thread/thread/4246560514b5f886/3aa03fc73b8c9102#3aa03fc73b8c9102
because I am at my ends wit, and I do not have a clue how to solve
this.

I'd like MowGreen to have a look at it, if possible. Only when you
have sufficient time that is, off course.

I'd be very thankful.

MowGreen [MVP]

Feb 27, 2008, 12:24:48 PM2/27/08
olaf....@telenet.be wrote:

> I don't want to barge in just like that, but I have read this thread
> and I have a serious problem with repairing / deinstalling both
> Microsoft.NET Framework 2.0 and 3.0. AAMOF, deinstalling / repairing
> suggestions as mentioned here did not work for me at all. I have
> posted a subject on the matter at
> http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsupdate/browse_thread/thread/4246560514b5f886/3aa03fc73b8c9102#3aa03fc73b8c9102
> because I am at my ends wit, and I do not have a clue how to solve
> this.
>
> I'd like MowGreen to have a look at it, if possible. Only when you
> have sufficient time that is, off course.
>
> I'd be very thankful.

Just got back from a so-called vacation Olaf and found your post. All I
can say is ... ouch. Sorry to see that you've been through .NET
Framework 'hell'.
Going by what I've read, it's quite apparent that .NET 2 and 3 never
installed properly. As to why I'd suggest it's security software that is
causing this horrid issue.

> 4. cleaned out all remaining v2.02.50727 and v3.0 associated regkey
> entries with the registry functions of Ccleaner, Spybot S&D, Regseeker
> and Easycleaner untill I found no remaining regkeys

Could you please post what security software [firewall, antivirus,
adware remover, popup/cookie blocker, etc] and what disk cleanup
utilities/tools have or, are being used/installed ?

Also, what program or application requires .NET 2 and 3 to be installed?

There's no sense giving you instructions on removing either .NET
Frameworks and then attempting to reinstall them without first learning
just what is going on with the system.