impossible to remove Microsoft.Net Framework 2.0 and 3.0 ???

olaf....@telenet.be

Feb 25, 2008, 9:50:50 AM2/25/08
Hey there all of you,

I have a serious problem with installing Microsoft. Net Framework 2.0
and 3.0 updates :

KB 929300 : Microsoft. NET Framework 3.0 SP 1
KB 110806 : Microsoft. NET Framework 2.0 SP 1

I looked at my Windows Updates installer History, and oddly enough
both Microsoft. Net Framework 2.0 and 3.0 were installed on an earlier
date, according to the History. So I thought it odd that I couldn't
install the updates for them.

I have tried several times via the Windows Updates site and then
started to read some documentation about this problem. Having tried to
manually save both redistributable packages and installing both from
there, it did not work either.

Then I read some info on How to troubleshoot Microsoft .NET Framework
2.0 installation issues (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/908077) and
try the following steps to repair Microsoft. Net Framework 2.0 to
begin with.

Unregister and then reregister Windows Installer
This action corrects most situations. Additionally, this action does
not affect any currently installed programs that use the Windows
Installer.1. Unregister Windows Installer. To do this, click Start,
click Run, type msiexec /unregister in the Open box, and then click
OK.
2. Reregister Windows Installer. To do this, click click Start, click
Run, type msiexec /regserver in the Open box, and then click OK

Repair the .NET Framework 2.0
The following are three ways to repair the .NET Framework.
Use the Repair command on the Windows Installer cache file
To repair the .NET Framework 2.0 by using the Windows Installer cache
file, follow these steps:1. Click Start, click Run, type installer in
the Open box, and then click OK.
2. On the View menu in Windows Installer, click Details, right-click
the Name column header, and then click Comment.
3. Right-click the cached Windows Installer file that has the
Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 RTL x86 enu comment, and then click
Repair.
4. After the repair process has completed, quit Windows Installer.

Run the .NET Framework 2.0 Redistributable package at a command prompt
To repair the .NET Framework 2.0 by using the command prompt, follow
these steps: 1. Locate the Dotnetfx.exe file that you used to install
the .NET Framework 2.0. To do this, use one of the following methods:
* If you installed the .NET Framework 2.0 from a CD or from a DVD,
insert the installation disk in the CD drive or DVD drive.
* If you installed the .NET Framework 2.0 from the hard disk, download
the .NET Framework 2.0 Setup program to the hard disk.
* If you installed the .NET Framework 2.0 from a network drive,
reconnect to the network drive.

2. Click Start, click Run, type cmd in the Open box, and then click
OK.
3. At the command prompt, run the following command:
%InstallationPath%\dotnetfx.exe /t:%temp% /c:"msiexec.exe /fvecms %temp
%\netfx.msi"

Note %InstallationPath% is a placeholder for the path of the
Dotnetfx.exe file that you located in step 1.

Neither of this three options worked. AAMOF, when I follow the above
steps exactly as is written, I always get an error message, telling me
that the file I want to repair is an invalid package.

Again, odd because I had the impression that this Microsoft.NET
Framework version had been successfully installed as a whole, AND
because I had downloaded and installed it from the Windows Updates
site. This seems to suggest that some components of the framework are
defective or have not been installed at all, while the update history
tells me otherwise.

After that, I seriously considered completely removing both frameworks
from the HD. So I went to Add / Remove and again tried at first to
repair both (which obviously failed but I wanted to make sure anyway)
and then tried to deinstall both. Again, this did not work, because
each time I clicked Remove, I got an error message, telling me that
the files needed to deinstall where not to be found in the c:/Windows/
Microsoft.NET/Framework/ Map.

My C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/ Map holds 4 different subfolder
versions in total : v1.0.3705, v1.1.4322, v2.0.50727 and v3.0

Another thing I have noticed is that, when looking in Control Panel,
it only holds Microsoft.NET Framework 1.1 entries. The others are not
metioned, so I suspect version 1.1 is the last version that actually
works on my PC.

Last but not least, I have run Windows Install Cleanup and removed all
entries for 2.0 and 3.0. Next thing I did was reboot the PC ( twice in
a row AAMOF ), but I was again surprised to find that all the files
where still in C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/ v2.0.50727 and
v3.0. I expected they had been completely removed after reboot.

I don't understand what is going on, because it seems that repairing /
using Windows Install Cleanup can do the trick for most people. But
not for me for some reason.

This leaves me with a lot of questions :
1. every procedure I have tried doesn't seem to work.
2.is Microsoft dispersing crappy programs that don't work as a support
tool ?
3. why do I get a successfull install on the installation history when
components are defective and/or missing ? how reliable is Microsoft
when it comes to this ?

I wanted to ask this first before even trying to attempt a manual
deinstall with cleaning registers, because I am very weary of the
consequences afterwards.

I might be overlooking something or other, but I can't figure out
what's the matter. Maybe someone on this forums might have a clue to
help me.

Many thanx in advance,

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Feb 25, 2008, 2:30:05 PM2/25/08
First, see http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923100 (ignore the title).

If no joy, see this recent post by my colleague MowGreen:
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsupdate/msg/4d76de7769d04493

--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net

olaf....@telenet.be

Feb 25, 2008, 3:36:39 PM2/25/08
On 25 feb, 20:30, "PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABear...@gmail.com> wrote:
> First, seehttp://support.microsoft.com/kb/923100(ignore the title).
>
> If no joy, see this recent post by my colleague MowGreen:http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsupdate/msg/4d7...
> > Many thanx in advance,- Tekst uit oorspronkelijk bericht niet weergeven -

While I was awaiting response, I have tried a different approach, a
more drastic one rather.

I have found out that the *.msi files for versions 2.0 and 3.0 were
not in the folders including the *.msi's for the language packs. That
is basically why I was unable to delete the frameworks by using Add/
Remove, Add/Remove Pro or the Windows Install cleanup utility.

So I decided on the next procedure :

1. went to C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/ v2.0.50727 and
> > v3.0 and unticked the read-only attribute box
2. chucked all the contents of both maps in the recycle bin
3. cleaned out the recycle bin and cleaned it again afterwards with
Ccleaner, which cleans the C:/recycler map
4. cleaned out all remaining v2.02.50727 and v3.0 associated regkey
entries with the registry functions of Ccleaner, Spybot S&D, Regseeker
and Easycleaner untill I found no remaining regkeys
5. optimized the defragmentation of registry hives with NTRegOpt
6. Rebooted the PC
7.went back to C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/ map and saw that
were no longer v2.0.50727 and
> > v3.0 maps
8. after rebooting and confirming the successfull uninstall, tried to
install dotnetfx3.exe from the root folder
9. noticed an error message saying "could not initialize resources"
10. after browsing on the internet found that the above message can be
avoided by temporarily shutting down your firewall, which I did
11. tried to install dotnetfx3.exe again
12. got an error report
[02/25/08,20:14:43] Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0: [2] Error:
Installation failed for component Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0. MSI
returned error code 1603
[02/25/08,20:15:27] WapUI: [2] DepCheck indicates Microsoft .NET
Framework 2.0 is not installed.

I thought I had read somewhere that it was not necessary to reinstall
2.0 again before installing 3.0, but I seem to be mistaken.
Those are the steps I undertook in the meanwhile. I am going to try
installing dotnetfx.exe before dotnetfx3.exe later. Either this may
work, and if not, I suppose I have to deinstall all versions in the
right order like mentioned in the link you've sent me.

I don't think I am going to attempt this again today, because the
whole situation is draining my life out off me, I am getting rather
bored with it for today.

Either way, I'd like to thank you for the swift reaction. I do
appreciate it.

MowGreen [MVP]

Feb 27, 2008, 12:27:33 PM2/27/08
I posted a reply to the " KB110806 & KB929300 Install Failure " thread.
Please answer the questions I posted there to this one, Olaf.

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten