Vista Update Nvidia Driver nvlddmkm.sys BSOD

Smilerfive

Aug 29, 2007, 1:22:00 PM8/29/07
August 27th, Vista Ultimate 32bit, Nvidia 7600GT, 4Gb Ram

My Vista Ultimate system has an XFX NVidia 7600GT card in it. It has been
working fine since the day I put it in. My system is always on and I usually
let it update automatically via Windows Update as required.

The other day I came home from work and began to notice a degradation in
graphics quality. There were artefacts on the desktop and things were, well,
twitching… I became concerned and then I noticed that Vista was recovering a
crashed Display Driver repeatedly (first I had ever seen that) and then I was
really concerned. I had not updated or changed anything myself so I started
to check Windows Vista Update to see what it had updated in my absence. I
only managed to begin to see that Update had downloaded or started to
download, among other things, an updated NVidia driver..

I never got a chance to fault find any further since my system then became
so unstable the graphics went for a loop and I could not make anything out on
screen. Next thing it somersaulted into a BSOD blaming nvlddmkm.sys

Now my system will not boot up and immediately crashes with a BSOD every
time blaming nvlddmkm.sys – an nvidia display driver. The only way I can get
into my system is via safe mode and it has limited tools, particularly, it
does not allow access to Windows Update for me to check what Update did, what
it installed etc etc

I don’t know the version of the driver that was working fine previously. I
had never updated it since the card went in and it has worked fine ever
since, that is until this recent event. I don’t know what version Windows
Update tried to install because I can’t check it out.

What I’ve tried:
Installing a variety of updated drivers from NVidia Website including a
beta, from Safe Mode in Vista: no result, same BSOD
Rolling back driver to previous: no result, same BSOD
Using Sys Restore in Safe Mode to jump back to a previous known good
position: no result, same BSOD

Basically my system is trashed because Update downloaded some monster driver
that screwed up my system. Usually I’m pretty good troubleshooting and fixing
these kinds of things, I work in IT, but this one has me stumped. I have no
idea what Update did and feel I have exhausted my troubleshooting options.
Can anyone help me? Thanks.

DL

Aug 30, 2007, 4:28:52 AM8/30/07
Assuming winupdate for Vista is the same as for other o/s I would never use
a driver update from there.
Drivers should be obtained only from the manu site, and then only if
required to cure a bug/add functionality.
Have you tried completely uninstalling Nvidea display drivers, then
reinstalling, latest stable release, from Nvidea site?

I have in the past seen version missmatches with Nvidea drivers, when
someone has updated, and the update didnt take correctly. The only solution
was to use a Video driver cleaner to remove all Nvidea drivers, prior to
installing from Nvidea site & following their instructions on installation.

"Smilerfive" <Smile...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> August 27th, Vista Ultimate 32bit, Nvidia 7600GT, 4Gb Ram
>
> My Vista Ultimate system has an XFX NVidia 7600GT card in it. It has been
> working fine since the day I put it in. My system is always on and I
> usually
> let it update automatically via Windows Update as required.
>
> The other day I came home from work and began to notice a degradation in
> graphics quality. There were artefacts on the desktop and things were,
> well,

> twitching. I became concerned and then I noticed that Vista was recovering

> crashed Display Driver repeatedly (first I had ever seen that) and then I
> was
> really concerned. I had not updated or changed anything myself so I
> started
> to check Windows Vista Update to see what it had updated in my absence. I
> only managed to begin to see that Update had downloaded or started to
> download, among other things, an updated NVidia driver..
>
> I never got a chance to fault find any further since my system then became
> so unstable the graphics went for a loop and I could not make anything out
> on
> screen. Next thing it somersaulted into a BSOD blaming nvlddmkm.sys
>
> Now my system will not boot up and immediately crashes with a BSOD every

> time blaming nvlddmkm.sys - an nvidia display driver. The only way I can

luedd66

Aug 31, 2007, 6:25:33 PM8/31/07

I'm:mad: running a nvidia 7600 gs on Vista premium and have been
getting the same error thought it was my Vista or new Samsung 22" wide
screen monitor causing the problem. If Nvidia won't fix the problem may
have to bite the bullet and buying another video card from a different
manufacturer. :mad:

--
luedd66
luedd66's Profile: http://www.cforum.net/forums/member.php?userid=1744

DL

Sep 2, 2007, 4:04:28 PM9/2/07
If you installed drivers other than from nvidea site, or failed to install
them correctly; thats your problem
not nvidea

"luedd66" <luedd66.2w7czo@forums> wrote in message

Smilerfive

Sep 7, 2007, 7:50:03 AM9/7/07
There is a huge recognised problem with this. Basically Nvidia cards are
pretty unstable on Vista especially for gamer/overclocker types.

I dont game or overclock and my system has been working fine for many months
until MS Vista Update downloaded and tried to install a new Nvidia driver
automatically without my presence or explicit consent.

The result is a malformed insallation, an unstable driver and, ultimately,
three weeks of driver hell for me as I attempt to pick up the shreds.

There has been NO progress. I have tried everything I can thinkof and more.
Basically I think Update destroyed my graphics card. I have been unable to
avoid BSOD on nvlddmkm.sys error 116 on boot. Every single time, regardless
of driver, source, install method, uninstall method it always BSOD's.

Pissed? Yes, very.

DL

Sep 7, 2007, 11:13:45 AM9/7/07
You should NEVER use msupdate for drivers
MSupdate should be configured for critical drivers only

You should have an option in your add/remove dialogue to uninstall Nvidea
Display drivers.
Remove them, reboot, do not allow any wizard to auto install the drivers,
then obtain the corrrect driver from either your Laptop or OEM site if a
major vendor eg Dell/HP, or from your card manufacturers site, or
motherboard site if onboard chip.

"Smilerfive" <Smile...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Smilerfive

Sep 10, 2007, 4:10:04 PM9/10/07
I can confirm this is not a specific problem with Nvidia cards. I went out
and bought a new ATI graphics card because I could not afford to wait any
longer.

I immediately installed this card and my system immediately sprang into
life. And in the two hours it was working I managed to backup or otherwise
retrieve all my data.

The next I saw was a 'display driver stopped working' error in Vista, also
know as a TDR error, where timing between Vista and graphics card is lost
somehow. Basically this error appeared maybe 4 times then my system crashed
again with the same error BSOD 116 but with the ATI driver file instaed of
the nvidia driver.

THIS IS A VISTA UPDATE problem where my system has been corrupted by a
wayward Vista Update. SOmehow this is killing graphics systems...

I hope they fix it soon.... Vista is becoming unusable

lyndsayseed

Nov 18, 2007, 8:09:00 AM11/18/07
At last somone who knows the problem i have had this problem for about 6
weeks nvidia cant fix it as its a vista only problem, i cant play crysis for
more than an hour as it has the same error also a couple of other games,
somtimes on certain websites ... I hope windows fix this soon as i AM pissed
off with this big time...

kosmos1

Aug 25, 2008, 12:30:15 AM8/25/08

The issue you are experiencing is being reported all over the net.
Unlike the others on this forum who seem hell bent on chastising people
for doing the right thing, I intend to get to the bottom of the issue.
Telling someone multiple times that they should have downloaded the
driver from the manufacturers web site and then feeling smug about it,
doesnt help. Next time they could try to be helpful.

This issue is occurring with nvidia's WHQL Certified driver version
175.19 ( I know this because I downloaded it from Nvidia's web site) and
its occurring for more than one particular type of video card. In my
case its happening on a 7950 GX2.

After installing the new driver and experiencing a crash related to
nvlddmkm.sys I did the following.

Diagnosis

1. after uopdating display driver to 175.19, restart computer, on boot
I experienced a crash. Bugcheck indicates display driver nvlddmkm.sys is
the issue.
2. Confirm there is an issue, restart computer and let it boot once
more. Same issue occurred. Stop 0x0000007e System Thread Exception Not
Handled. looks like a driver bug.
3. Boot computer into safe mode
4. Check properties for both 7950GX2 display adapters one is listed as
using resources, the other is listed as using none because of an unknown
problem; likely a faulted driver.
5. Initial suspicion is an issue with SLi, both cards need to be
active, but on this driver release only one is.
6. un-install device driver and delete the driver software for the
device (this cleans the registry on vista and removes the driver files
installed in the system/system32 directories).
7. Reboot
8. Successful boot, the driver is deffinitely the issue.
9. browse local C drive. Open Nvidia folder, open winvista folder. My
previous successfully used driver was 169.28, installing.
10. Restart
11. Successfully started computer with no issue.
12. Checking control panel, both display adapters are listed as
functioning.

Next time I suggest that Nvidia would do better to properly regression
test their device drivers. Releasing a driver thats as buggy as this,
causing stop codes in a number of display adapters just isnt good
enough. And also next time someone seeks help try actually being
constructively helpful.

PS This issue is occurring in version 175.16 as well

--
kosmos1
kosmos1's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/kosmos1.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

AG

Sep 5, 2008, 8:53:00 AM9/5/08
i am having the same crappy problem as everyone else here, my version is 167.43

andrewpickett

Oct 8, 2008, 7:39:43 PM10/8/08
I had the same problems. Windows updated my graphics card driver which is nvida go 7600 and it wouldnt load windows without going into safe mode. My screen would flicker than go to bsod. What i did was you boot your computer in safe mode. while in safe mode, you disable your graphics card. This is what i did to make sure that it was a graphic card problem, so anyways, you disable it than restart your computer back into safe mode. Once in safe mode you delete your current driver for the graphics card. the computer will restart and when it reboots it will boot the factory default driver for your graphics card and that will work. the only problem with this is you can obviously tell the difference since the graphics will look ok at best. I am currently doing this because if i update my driver it will not even load vista.

If you don't want to use the factory default, you load the most recent driver while in safe mode, than roll back to the previous version, and vista won't look as bad as it does when you use the standard video driver like i previously noted.

andrewpickett

Oct 8, 2008, 7:39:42 PM10/8/08

Shenan Stanley

Oct 8, 2008, 7:47:25 PM10/8/08

Andrew Pickett,

Did you intend to post this as a reply to something the two times you have
posted it?

It seems to have no frame of reference - and other than the mention of Vista
'in passing' - not too heavy on the details.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Oct 8, 2008, 7:48:30 PM10/8/08

Harry Johnston [MVP]

Oct 8, 2008, 8:13:37 PM10/8/08

mikeclarke

Dec 5, 2008, 11:27:41 PM12/5/08
Same here i run 3 monitors on 2 different cards both nvidia 7600 and 6150 vista as well ms downloaded a driver and reading what you have to say is the same as what im going through.

mikeclarke

Dec 5, 2008, 11:29:49 PM12/5/08

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Dec 6, 2008, 11:52:14 AM12/6/08
again]

TaurArian

Dec 6, 2008, 4:59:31 PM12/6/08
I'm ignoring these now. They make no sense.

--

TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2009 - Update Services
http://taurarian.mvps.org

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABe...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Robert Aldwinckle

Dec 6, 2008, 7:05:49 PM12/6/08

"TaurArian" <taur...@gmail.com> wrote in message news:Ow8Ir3%23VJH...@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...

> I'm ignoring these now. They make no sense.

Me too, unless another poster is confused by them.
Note though that they would make sense if they were viewed as sly attempts
at calling attention to the server/domain they come from. ; )

OTOH they may actually represent someone's misguided attempt to
"fill in the blanks" starting with the oldest threads possible,
which would explain why they always seem to choose threads
which are no longer available even on the MS Communities web interface.
Then, as I have noted elsewhere the propensity to rename the thread
makes it difficult for anybody to find the correct context even with
Google Groups, unless we use Message-ID search using Google Groups
which made finding the originating thread almost impossible unless there
was sufficient context provided by the rest of the post.

Robert
---