91 Updates fail to Install

1 view

Terrym

Apr 15, 2008, 11:07:00 AM4/15/08
I have recently had to re-install XP (by Update, not clean install!). When I
go to Windows Update, there are 91 updates for my PC. These updates are
downloaded OK (although I don't know exactly where they are on my PC?) but
everytime I try to install them, they ALL fail. There is no error message
either.
Can anyone help me with this dilemma??
Thanks
Terry

dgtdx

Apr 15, 2008, 11:15:01 AM4/15/08
i need all updated to inestall

bacchus

Apr 15, 2008, 11:36:02 AM4/15/08
I have exactly the same problem and no solution....
and no response from Microsoft assistance.

Shenan Stanley

Apr 15, 2008, 11:47:02 AM4/15/08

dgtdx wrote:
> i need all updated to inestall

Any Google/Newsgroup searches for your problem before asking? I only ask
because this newsgroup is over-flowing with the following answer ( I know -
I have posted it many times myself... Three times in this very conversation
now. ;-) ):

Updates are not installed successfully from Windows Update,
from Microsoft Update, or by using Automatic Updates after
you repair a Windows XP installation
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943144

(Try it even if you did a clean, not repair, installation.)
(Try it even if you performed some sort of restore - not repair install.)
(Try it even if you did an upgrade installation.)

Do all suggested methods. Hope that helps!

( This Conversation via Google Groups:
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsupdate/browse_thread/thread/450309469a3ad8ba/69e924859bdbf1f6#69e924859bdbf1f6 )

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

Engel

Apr 15, 2008, 11:46:02 AM4/15/08

Shenan Stanley

Apr 15, 2008, 11:47:05 AM4/15/08

bacchus wrote:
> I have exactly the same problem and no solution....
> and no response from Microsoft assistance.

Shenan Stanley

Apr 15, 2008, 11:46:59 AM4/15/08

Any Google/Newsgroup searches for your problem before asking? I only ask

Terrym

Apr 15, 2008, 1:53:01 PM4/15/08
Thanks a lot Shenan!
There are 99 now and they've all been downloaded again and are actually
being installed as I speak!
Thanks again.
Terry

jaime

Apr 15, 2008, 2:24:02 PM4/15/08
Thnx Shenan 4 ur advice,
My problem was exactly the same as Terrym`s and using your advice
(http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943144)
everything is OK now

M in California@discussions.microsoft.com Bob M in California

Apr 16, 2008, 12:18:00 AM4/16/08
Hi Terry,

I have the same exact problem. If you come up with a solution, would you
please let me know.
Thank you,
roberti...@comcast.net

Shenan Stanley

Apr 16, 2008, 12:28:44 AM4/16/08

Bob M in California wrote:
> I have the same exact problem. If you come up with a solution,
> would you please let me know.

You, perhaps, should have reviewed the entire conversation before asking.
;-)

However - I will repeat the answer I gave that TerryM (the original poster)
responded to letting everyone know it resolved their issue... I also have
included the link to the entire conversation as archived indefinitely on
Google Groups and that can be found via Google (and/or Google Groups)
searches...

Lelia

Apr 16, 2008, 10:51:09 AM4/16/08
Hi, I have been following this post because I am having the same problem. I
tried to follow the instructions in the article you posted, but I get the
following error when I try to resiter the .dll file in Windows:

"stem error 1060 has occurred. The specified service does not exist as an
installed service."

I am running XP Home version on a Dell, and it was recently repaired by a
professional, but he left me to download the updates. I checked and the
Windows Update Agent is installed already.

Any suggestions?

Shenan Stanley

Apr 16, 2008, 12:55:53 PM4/16/08
Lelia wrote:
> Hi, I have been following this post because I am having the same
> problem. I tried to follow the instructions in the article you
> posted, but I get the following error when I try to resiter the
> .dll file in Windows:
>
> "stem error 1060 has occurred. The specified service does not
> exist as an installed service."
>
> I am running XP Home version on a Dell, and it was recently
> repaired by a professional, but he left me to download the updates.
> I checked and the Windows Update Agent is installed already.
>
> Any suggestions?

Following the directions on the web page given actually forces the Windows
Update Agent to be installed again. That is what the /wuforce in the
command line given in the article does. It forces it to install over the
current version (and you *want* to do this.) (In order to run the exact
line - you must save the file at the root of the C: drive and/or copy it
there.)

C:\WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86.exe /wuforce

Also - no matter what is said in the article - after doing Method 1 -
reboot. Then, without testing, do method 2 and reboot. Then visit
http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/ and if it asks you to install anything
(activeX or otherwise) do so... and do a custom scan and select all critical
updates - everything else is optional and any hardware drivers (by me
anyway) are *not* recommended.

If that doesn't work - you can go with a third party tool which does a LOT
more and a little of the same.

Get Dial-a-Fix:
http://wiki.djlizard.net/Dial-a-fix

Use its options to fix:
- Windows Installer
- Windows Update
- All the Registration Center options.

Turn off the "Empty System32\Catroot 2"
Do NOT do "Flush SoftwareDistribution".

Then click "GO" and wait until it is done... Reboot will be needed.

- Download/Install Windows Update v3.
http://download.windowsupdate.com/WindowsUpdate/redist/standalone/7.0.6000.381/WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86.exe
(You *may* need to install it using the command line switch "/wuforce"
right after the reboot - immediately after logging in.)

- Download/Install the 927891 patch.
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=7A81B0CD-A0B9-497E-8A89-404327772E5A

- Reboot.

- Visit http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/ and scan for/install updates.

- Come back and let us know how things went!