No WindowsUpdate shield in tray

1 view

Frank

Oct 3, 2007, 8:42:00 PM10/3/07
I recently stopped getting the windows update shield in my tray notifying me
that updates are available. The only notification I get now is when I
shutdown windows - it then gives me the option to install them, but it
doesn't tell me which updates are available. Any ideas on what is going on
with this, and how I get the shield back in the tray?

Frank

Oct 9, 2007, 3:49:04 PM10/9/07
"Frank" wrote:

I forgot to include that I am running Windows XP Professional, SP2. As far
as I know, all security updates are up to date.

Does anyone have any ideas on the cause of this? Is anyone else experiencing
this problem?

Frank

eddie....@gmail.com

Oct 11, 2007, 3:32:16 PM10/11/07

Hi Frank,
We have the same issue here. No updates show up in the system tray,
but they are showing up when we reboot.
The only way we can run these update is to log in an a local admin, or
log off and press control,alt, delete and choose install updates and
shutdown.
Have you found a fix for this yet?

Eddie
Florida

Frank

Oct 11, 2007, 7:33:00 PM10/11/07

"eddie....@gmail.com" wrote:

Hi Eddie,
Sounds like you're experiencing the same thing as me. In my case, I always
login as administrator, and always have.
So far I have not found any solution, nor any other help on resolving this.

Frank

Frank

Oct 29, 2007, 9:04:02 PM10/29/07
So I haven't had any other replies on my post - am I in the right forum? Is
there a better one I should try?

I would appreciate any feedback.

Thanks,
Frank

PA Bear

Oct 29, 2007, 9:25:46 PM10/29/07
To keep track of things, it helps immensely if you include all of previous
message(s) in your replies to the newsgroup. Thank you.

Thread history:
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsupdate/browse_frm/thread/fef19511f86dc695/6daff57507f0b014
==============
How to troubleshoot Windows Update, Microsoft Update, and Windows Server
Update Services installation issues:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=906602

=> Start a free Windows Update support incident request <=

Support for Windows Update:

1. See the "Need more help? Tell us what problem you are having" section of
http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=ph;en-us;6527

2. You cannot install some updates or programs
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;822798

3a. Check Windowsupdate.log (%windir%\Windowsupdate.log) for errors
associated with the download/install.

How to read the Windowsupdate.log file
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/902093

3b. Compare errors to those listed here:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/blogs/mowgreen/index.php?showentry=1122
and/or go to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com > click on Help and Support
link in left pane > Solve problems on your own.
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net