RE: Express or Custom for Windows updates.

RobertFord

Mar 5, 2006, 1:56:26 AM3/5/06
I am having the exact same problem since I did an automatic update last week
and the WGA was installed on my PC.

I bet when you revisit the auto update page you don't see any logo above the
Express install button either.

I have so far had 3 phone calls with MS techs and spent nearly 4 hours on
the phone with them. I have another appointment for Monday.

So many files have been renamed on my machine by the MS techs and the
problem is still here.

They keep uninstalling Norton Internet Security and trying new things but
still to no avail.

Now Windows Media Player is not working correctly either.

My PC is around 6 months old and I have never had to hard reboot it, yet
since I tried the auto update last week and after all the phone calls I have
had to hard reboot close to 100 times.

If this was any other service I would be complaining to the Managing
Director now but with MS I wouldn't even know how to start complaining.

The case number for my problem is CASE_ID_NUM: SRQ060302600093 for anyone at
MS who is prepared to listen and deal with this.

Finally, after my last phone call on Friday last week the MS tech sent me a
link... on how to uninstall Norton Internet Security completely from my
machine.

Glen, I'm glad you made your post as I can now hand on heart say that it's
not just MY PC that is at fault.

MS have to deal with these situations better instead of running riot over
people's PCs and leaving a mess behind them.

If MS sort this particulat issue for me tomorrow morning, I'll post what
they did for me.

Robert Ford

"Glen Patterson" wrote:

> For the last week I have not been able to click on Express or Custom updates
> from the Microsoft update site. Everytime I click one one of them, my
> computer will freeze. I re-imaged my computer thinking that was the problem,
> so my computer has a clean image. I attemped the re-register of the .dll, as
> suggested on a post, to see if that would work and it does not.
>
> Any suggestions?

Glen Patterson

Mar 5, 2006, 7:55:27 AM3/5/06
Robert,

I am glad I am not the only one having this issue.

Let me take a step back and tell you what I noticed a week ago before the
problem. This might help you when you talk with Microsoft.

A week ago I went to do the updates and when I went to the web site it made
me re-install the software to run the updates, it said that I did not have
it. I did not have a choice on whether or not to pass on this.

The only thing that I have on my computer that is third party right now is
Norton Anti-Virus. I did try running the updates before I installed this
software so actually nothing third party was on the machine.

I hope this helps. Keep me posted.

Glen Patterson

RobertFord

Mar 5, 2006, 8:57:31 AM3/5/06
Glen,

It's very interesting that you still had the problem when you had no 3rd
party software installed.

You mention having to re-install the software to allow updates. I think this
is in fact not a re-install but a _new_ and additional install for the
Windows Genuine Advantage
http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/downloads/whyValidate.aspx

On that page there is a "Validate Now" button. My guess is that if you click
on that button your machine will freeze as well.

Anyway, I'll let you know how I get on.

Robert

Glen Patterson

Mar 5, 2006, 10:19:27 AM3/5/06
Robert,

I did go to the web site and attempted to validate, and you were correct, it
froze the machine.

If the new 'additional' software is causing this problem to our machines, it
has to be everywhere and users are not aware of if yet.

Thanks.

Glen

Joachim Horn

Mar 5, 2006, 11:07:44 AM3/5/06
Hi Glen and Robert,
here's a companion in distress....

Glen wrote:

> I did go to the web site and attempted to validate, and you were
> correct, it froze the machine.

Same here.

Robert wrote:

[http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/downloads/whyValidate.aspx]

>> On that page there is a "Validate Now" button. My guess is that if
>> you click on that button your machine will freeze as well.

YES!

And, as Glen noticed, this I can confirm this as well:

>>> A week ago I went to do the updates and when I went to the web
>>> site it made me re-install the software to run the updates, it
>>> said that I did not have it. I did not have a choice on whether or
>>> not to pass on this.

Robert:

Well spoken! Here are my two cents from Germany:
After having tried to install the WGAVT from the Microsoft Update site
on my XP pro machine (the log said "successfully"), but Control Panel /
Software told me "this update has been removed", each click on the
buttons "Fast Search" or "User Defined Search" on the microsort update
site caused the system to immediately freeze. Only a cold restart was
possible.

I then tried all the previously suggested ways to properly install the
WGAVT, and all of them failed, showing the a.m. behaviour.

The last but one try was via wgadiag2.exe; same result as above.

My last (and successful) attempt was to install the WGA thing manually,
and alternative #2 worked, thanks to

So WGA KB 8921830 is properly installed on my computer, it appears in
Control Panel / software and in IE's Advanced / Add-Ons list as well.

BUT: As you are experiencing as well, EVERYTIME I click on the buttons
"Fast Search", "User Defined Search" on "Microsoft Update" or any other
"validation button" on a Microsoft web sites (for example in
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=999d37c3-4013-48de-b950-ee01256aaa92&DisplayLang=en)
the whole machine freezes immediately . And no, no third party "tuning"
nor "security" nor pop up blocker tool was running simultaneously!

Slightly becoming mad after three days of trying....
Good luck to both of you (and me, perhaps)
Joachim

Glen Patterson

Mar 5, 2006, 11:19:28 AM3/5/06
Robert and Joachim,

How about this...

I can not run updates for Office 2003.

I go to the appropriate web site to download Microsoft updates. It has me
install Active X. It runs through the process (does not freeze) and comes
back 'not able to install'.

I have never had that happen before.

Something is going on.

Glen

Joachim Horn

Mar 5, 2006, 12:23:04 PM3/5/06
Glen,
I cannot verify this behavior because "_Microsoft_ Update", unlike the
former "_Windows_ Update", automatically includes Office 2003 updates.
But IMHO this freezing effect is caused by the same bug which prohibits
your "individual Office 2003 update.
If I am interpreting my windowsupdate.log correctly, in February there
were several attempts by the former updater to download some files;
maybe these were the Office files as well.
But, as far as I can see it, all actual updates have been downloaded
later in Feb., during the former WGAVT running.

So I am looking forward in fright to the next critical updates...

Joachim

Glen Patterson

Mar 5, 2006, 3:00:15 PM3/5/06
I was able to run the updates for Office 2003. Not sure what was going on.

You mentioned looking forward in fright for the next critical update.
Hopefully it will fix the problem and probably start a whole new batch of
them.

Glen

RobertFord

Mar 6, 2006, 5:20:26 AM3/6/06
Hi guys,

Just got off the phone from MS and still no joy.

They tried a couple of things on my PC but still suffers the same freeze as
already mentioned.

They are aware of the problem and are looking for a solution and I have
another telephone appointment booked for tomorrow, in the hope that they find
a solution in the next 24 hours.

BR/ Robert

Glen Patterson

Mar 6, 2006, 5:50:34 AM3/6/06
At least they stated they are aware ot the problem. That means they know it
is happening to more than just a couple of people.

If 5 people complain, nothing happens, when 5,000 complain, it gets fixed.

Thanks for the update. Looking forward to getting this fixed.

Glen

Joachim Horn

Mar 6, 2006, 12:12:21 PM3/6/06
Thank you so much, Robert, for your report and for sharing your
information with us.
Shortly, the "freezing" persists with the new WGAVT being installed
properly.
Kindly keep us apprised of developments as they occur.

Good luck for us all.
Joachim

RobertFord

Mar 6, 2006, 12:34:40 PM3/6/06
I am beginning to wonder if this will ever get fixed for us...

Having exchanged a number of emails with the MS tech who is trying to help
me (and I'll give him his dues as he really is trying to help), he tells me
that "Just wanted to let you know that the WGA issue has been taken care of
at our end and if you still have the same issue, we will have to troubleshoot
the same."

I found that rather worrying as my machine and countless others are far from
"taken care of".

I have been sent numerous instructions of things to try today, which has
left my PC feeling like a pin cushion. It's times like this I start to think
about getting a Mac.

At the moment I can't see any light at the end of the tunnel and this nearly
week long marathon is making me lose focus on my work and is taking toll on
my productivity.

I'll post if I have any positive news but I'm starting to lose interest and
can see my 6 month old £3600 worth of PC running for the remainder of its
days without any further updates of my _paid in full_ MS products because MS
put up an update which was clearly not ready for the public.

I wonder how many people out there have problems with this WGA update and
wouldn't even know where to start as to fixing it, or even realise there was
a problem. Must be thousands, my parents would be the classic example.

Robert

Joachim Horn

Mar 6, 2006, 1:08:54 PM3/6/06
RobertFord wrote:
> I am beginning to wonder if this will ever get fixed for us...

<sigh>

[....]

> interest and can see my 6 month old £3600 worth of PC running for
> the remainder of its days without any further updates of my _paid in
> full_ MS products because MS put up an update which was clearly not
> ready for the public.

Same here (11 months).

> I wonder how many people out there have problems with this WGA
> update and wouldn't even know where to start as to fixing it, or
> even realise there was a problem. Must be thousands, my parents
> would be the classic example.

Very frustrating, indeed.

As long as MS is focussing to Digital Rights Management more that to
customer service, and as long as MS is paranoidly going to criminalize
their dedicated customers until there's proof to the contrary, we
perhaps cannot see a light at the end of the tunnel (unless it's the
train coming from the other direction).
MS must withdraw this strange "tool" which is nothing but a chain on
the honest user's feet. Write a new "tool" and try again, MS, but don't
leave us alone with this problem!
What will the next tool bring? Total lock of the machine right after
booting?

Thanks again, Robert. We only can hope that more and more users world
wide are experiencing this freezing effect on thier clean (not "tuned")
machines.
Mad at Microsoft,
Joachim

floricicia

Mar 7, 2006, 3:47:27 PM3/7/06
Hi chaps,
Reading this thread with interest and wholeheartedley agree wtih your views
about how nonsensical this 'Update' facility has become.
My pc has not yet frozen ....but it took me 3 evenings to find a way to
install the WGA tool before I could even access the update site......and
then...all the updates will download but not one of them will install.

How on earth Microsoft expect my Mum to go digging around in
SoftwareDistribution folders and reassigning her permissions I've no idea-the
thought of
A) having an unsecure pc and
B) having to rewrite her own software reduces her to impotent tears......she
only wants to email and word process and doesn't know a CPU from a
PSU.!.......how do Microsoft imagine she and (well probably 80% of the rest
of the world) will dig themselves out of this problem?
flo

Joachim Horn

Mar 8, 2006, 1:12:29 PM3/8/06
Hello, Dwight,
Thank you for joining the freezing fraction! ;-)
You wrote very interesting things:

> I have just experienced the same symptom as I prepared a brand new
> PC for one of my customers. Right after WGA is installed and I
> select Custom or Express the system locks.

So far to the advice "Make a clean setup!"

> This is a fresh install of WinXP Pro SP2 on a Foxconn NF4UK8AA
> motherboard with nVidia nForce chipset and network controller. Any
> chance the hardware is a problem?

Perhaps kindly read this message, for hardware comparing purposes:
Message ID:
(must perhaps been copied and pasted into START > RUN > OK)

Kind regards,
Joachim

mabster

Mar 8, 2006, 4:44:06 PM3/8/06
Hi guys,

My PC, too, has started freezing when I hit "Custom" or "Express".

I will try the link below when I get home to verify that it's WGA
causing the problem.

Does uninstalling the latest WGA update, then letting Microsoft Update
reinstall it help at all?

Cheers,
mabster

Joachim Horn

Mar 9, 2006, 11:38:17 AM3/9/06
Hi, mabster!

> My PC, too, has started freezing when I hit "Custom" or "Express".

Our group is growing... <eg>

> Does uninstalling the latest WGA update, then letting Microsoft
> Update reinstall it help at all?

I made dozens of system restores back to the point before that WGA tool
has been installed. The former validation tool then worked fine again,
but each time the update site didn't let me know whether critical
updates were available until the KB892130 was installed again. Then:
Freeze again. So I've been and am trapped in an endless loop, but give
it (and the "validate now" link below) a try, anyway.
Good luck!
Joachim

Unverlangte E-Mails werden wie Spam ungelesen entsorgt.

Joachim Horn

Mar 9, 2006, 11:43:11 AM3/9/06
Hello galdhrim:
> I tried to
> email MS tech support but the site told me that free support was not
> available. How does that work, I have XP home edition, a genuine
> version that came with the computer.

So ask your vendor, he will be eager to help you quickly! ;-)

Sorry for the sarcasm, but except of Maurice N (MSCE) who really tries
to help us, I think that MS is not very interested in this freezing
problem.

Feeling alone
Joachim

jonah

Mar 11, 2006, 8:22:23 PM3/11/06
On Sat, 11 Mar 2006 16:16:27 -0800, Dwight
<Dwi...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Having had trouble as I reported in an earlier post with AMD 64 and Foxconn
>Motherboard on a new system for a customer I was forced to build another
>system. My customer is gun shy after hearing about the Windows update problem
>so we chose to go with a new Intel based system. It went like a charm. No
>update issues at all. This smells like hardware as I mentioned earlier. It
>might be helpful to see posts from others with the same problem as to the
>hardware they are using so we can get a handle on possible driver issues.
>
>My successful install was an Intel 630 CPU Socket 775 with a Foxconn
>motherboard and ATI Sapphire X300SE 256 Graphics Card.

I built a identical Foxconn (AMD64) system in December except it was
an PNY 6800GT VC - I could not even get it to boot sucessfully,
hardware issues - most certainly, however this particular
configuration has been sold and used extensively here and I am the
only person to have had problems with it - maybe it was just a duff
batch of processors in fact the MB got reused somewhere else after I
exchanged it so it was definately the processor.

How did you get a Sapphire VC they are pretty a myth here, much
advertised, very cheap but never available in stock?

Jonah

Joachim Horn

Mar 12, 2006, 2:59:22 AM3/12/06
Dwight wrote:

> My successful install was an Intel 630 CPU Socket 775 with a Foxconn
> motherboard and ATI Sapphire X300SE 256 Graphics Card.

Hello, Dwight,
thank you for your interesting experience, though I am not happy to
read it.

I now installed the "Advantage" Tool on my XP Pro SP2 notebook ACER
Travelmate 291 LCI (290D series) via the custom install button on the
Windows Update site, and it worked smoothly, without that freezing
problem.
The notebook comes with an Intel pro wireless 2200bg ("Centrino") and
an ATI 9700 Radeon / 64 (mobile).

For comparison, the freezing desktop has
CPU: AMD Athlon64 3500+ S 939 512kB, 200 MHz FSB
GPU: NVIDIA PCI-Expr. 6600GT. 128MB
MoBo: MSI KBN SLI Platinum, S939 NVIDIA Nforce4, SLI, ATX.

It would be interesting to know the type of CPU Glen Patterson has:

Please don't let it be true that it's a hardware problem!
I look forward to further information, if any. Thanks alot.

--
Joachim

mabster

Mar 12, 2006, 3:18:40 AM3/12/06
Joachim Horn wrote:
> Dwight wrote:
>
>> My successful install was an Intel 630 CPU Socket 775 with a Foxconn
>> motherboard and ATI Sapphire X300SE 256 Graphics Card.
>
> For comparison, the freezing desktop has
> CPU: AMD Athlon64 3500+ S 939 512kB, 200 MHz FSB
> GPU: NVIDIA PCI-Expr. 6600GT. 128MB
> MoBo: MSI KBN SLI Platinum, S939 NVIDIA Nforce4, SLI, ATX.

My desktop (which freezes) is a very similar system to that one:

AMD Athlon64 3500+
NVidia PCI-E 6600GT (LeadTek)

Mobo is a GigaByte though.

Perhaps it's CPU-related? Any Intel-CPU users out there with a freezing
system?

RobertFord

Mar 12, 2006, 7:47:27 AM3/12/06
I just started a thread over at the AMD tech forums as the processor seems to
be a common denominator:

http://forums.amd.com/index.php?showtopic=70746

"RobertFord" wrote:

> My hardware and still having the freeze problem:
>
> AMD Athlon 64 4000+
> NVIDIA GeForce 6800 Series GPU
> Gigabyte Socket 939 Nforce4 ATX Mainboard

Joachim Horn

Mar 12, 2006, 8:12:34 AM3/12/06
Thank you, Robert!
Kindly keep the group here updated as well.

Joachim
--

RobertFord wrote:

mabster

Mar 12, 2006, 6:33:27 PM3/12/06
Guys,

Looks like the Athlon64 CPU and/or nForce mobo aren't the problem:

http://channel9.msdn.com/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=171052#171052

(I'm Matt, by the way)

mabster

Matt Hamilton wrote:

> "RobertFord" wrote:
>
>> I just started a thread over at the AMD tech forums as the processor seems to
>> be a common denominator:
>>
>> http://forums.amd.com/index.php?showtopic=70746
>

> Robert,
>
> I notice a few users on the forum are trying to pin the blame on 3rd-party
> virus scanners. Thought I'd let you know that I am not running any virus
> scanner (yeah, I'm an idiot). I am running the Windows Defender beta, but I
> don't think that's the problem.
>
> Matt

RobertFord

Mar 13, 2006, 1:22:26 AM3/13/06
Another interesting thread pointing the finger at the Nvidia driver:

http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.windowsupdate&mid=b08b470c-71ca-4400-a118-3d99774bb408

Glad this is picking up some momentum.

mabster

Mar 13, 2006, 1:29:00 AM3/13/06
Ok, this sounds like it's getting closer.

I have a GigaByte board just like the poster of that other thread.

Any idea how to find and remove the nv4 raid driver? I'm not using a
RAID array - I only have one system drive and one data drive.

RobertFord

Mar 13, 2006, 1:47:27 AM3/13/06
I have a gigabyte board as well.

In add/remove programs under the NVIDIA Drivers I have the following options:

- Remove all NVIDIA drivers, including Display
- Remove all NVIDIA drivers, except Display
- Remove only the following
* NVIDIA Display Driver
* NVIDIA Ethernet Driver Components
* NVIDIA IDE Driver
* NVIDID nForce PCI System Management Driver

I'm not on a Raid setup either. Just one drive.

mabster

Mar 13, 2006, 1:53:47 AM3/13/06
RobertFord wrote:
> I have a gigabyte board as well.
>
> In add/remove programs under the NVIDIA Drivers I have the following options:
>
> - Remove all NVIDIA drivers, including Display
> - Remove all NVIDIA drivers, except Display
> - Remove only the following
> * NVIDIA Display Driver
> * NVIDIA Ethernet Driver Components
> * NVIDIA IDE Driver
> * NVIDID nForce PCI System Management Driver
>
> I'm not on a Raid setup either. Just one drive.

Yep - I see that. Doesn't really look like any of those have much to do
with RAID.

In my Device Manager I see a "SCSI and RAID controllers" section, in
which there is a "Silicon Image SiI SoftRaid 5 Controller" item. I
clicked "Update Driver" in that guy's properties, and it installed a
newer driver, but I'm still experiencing the Big Freeze(tm).

Hmmmmm.

Tolomus

Mar 13, 2006, 10:50:31 AM3/13/06
Hello all you fellow sufferers...

I'm glad to here that my PC is not the only one with this problem... I don't
know about freezing, but... here goes.

I just bought a new Mesh PC about 3 days ago, AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core,
Windows XP Professional SP2, NVIDIA GeForce 6100.

After setting up the hardware, I installed Norton Antivirus and Norton
Firewall... then AOL. I tried to install some Windows Updates. They
downloaded fine, yet, even after three hours they wouldn't install... the
progress bar didn't move a milimeter. I tried to shut down, and again they
tried to install 11 updates, without any success after a long time. I was
forced to reboot, and, on the advice of a £1.00 per minute Mesh helpline,
went back to factory settings, and started the whole installation of Windows
again, yet have again run into the same problem.

I have experienced no freezing, but it doesn't install any Update, nor can
it install, for example, Java... again it just doesn't have any progress. And
for some reason, clicking on "System" in the Control Panel takes literally 10
minutes before it actually appears on screen...

What is going on, or, how can this be fixed, or what should I do? I'm not
bad at computers, but no expert either. Or is it a case of, sit tight, and
wait for Microsoft to do something?

Thanks in advance for reading this...

James.

937@discussions.microsoft.com bikingviking 937

Mar 13, 2006, 12:08:29 PM3/13/06
Hello all , another poor sucker with an AMD 64 3500 and nvidia 6600 vc , same
symtoms as the rest of you running similar machines , just pray to god that
microsoft can fix this as it is their F*** up that has effectively made my
computer vulnerable to attack .Best I can say is that if anyone suffers a
virus problem we should all club together and sue their asses .This is not
acceptable from a company who makes such obscene profits as Microsoft .Good
luck too all and hope anyone reading this reports in as we need numbers to
make Microsoft sit up and take notice .

Rant ended thankyou

Atkins@discussions.microsoft.com Martyn Atkins

Mar 13, 2006, 12:09:27 PM3/13/06
Well, you can add me to the list of sufferers too. I have genuine Windows XP
Pro and have had the same trouble since the Genuine Advantage (bit of the
opposite for us) tool update. I am running AMD XP 3500+ and have Nvidia
NForce 4 M/B and Nvidia 6600GT grafix.

My Dell laptop (XP Home/Intel chippery) took the update fine and is OK.

Hope MS can get this fixed soon.

Regards,
Martyn

Atkins@discussions.microsoft.com Martyn Atkins

Mar 13, 2006, 12:19:30 PM3/13/06
Yup, looks like a common theme - I have a Gigabyte board with Nvidia Ultra 4
chipset - Gigabyte K8NF mobo. I will try and get rid of the NV4 raid driver
too.

Martyn

Joachim Horn

Mar 13, 2006, 12:26:46 PM3/13/06
Hello Martyn,

" A M D" ?

Thanks for your posting.

Please take a look at
http://forums.amd.com/index.php?showtopic=70746
and the thread beginning with

Perhaps my friends there can push things forward with their experience.

Kind regards,
Joachim
--

Martyn Atkins wrote:

Joachim Horn

Mar 13, 2006, 12:54:36 PM3/13/06
NVidia GeForce 6600 GT
Date: 12/09/2004
Version: 7.1.2.2

nv4_mini.sys: Ver. 6.14.10.7122
nv4_disp.dll: Ver. 6.14.10.7122
nvapi9x.dll: Ver. 6.14.10.7122
nvclock.dll: Ver. 1.0.0.2 of 1999
nvcod.dll: Ver. 1.0.0.16
nvcodins.dll: Ver. 1.0.0.16
nvcpl.dll: Ver. 6.14.10.7122
Nvgpio.dll: Ver. 1.0.1.8
nvmctray.dll: Ver. 6.14.10.7122
nvnt4cpl.dll: Ver. 6.14.10.10500
nvoglnt.dll: Ver. 6.14.10.7122
nvsvc32.exe: Ver. 6.14.10.7122
nvwddi.dll: Ver. 6.14.10.7122

No RAID system

Just for the protocol.
Joachim
--

bikingviking 937 wrote:

mabster

Mar 13, 2006, 4:19:37 PM3/13/06
The weird part is, I don't have any NVidia RAID drivers loaded.

I have a Silicon Image RAID driver (presumably a second controller on my
mobo).

A thread here talks about motherboard BIOS:

http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.windowsupdate&mid=767f5b56-16a7-4d0b-854c-a5cf33bc2d81&sloc=en-us

-or-

http://tinyurl.com/otbow

Could it simply be the BIOS firmware rather than the RAID drivers?

boltop

Mar 13, 2006, 7:57:27 PM3/13/06
Ive joined your club and have AMD Athlon(tm) 64 processor 3200+ with graphics
GE Force 6600 and am experiencing the freezing when clicking either express
or custom.
Bob im not too versed in computer technology how does the raid thing go
again is there a way of checking the raid I have 190GB drive .
--
rupert

"Bob Anderson" wrote:

> On my AMD64, VFN4 Chaintech motherboard, and 6600 video card, removing the
> nvidia IDE driver ONLY in add/remove programs/ nvidia drivers, cured this
> problem.
>
> It has taken me three weeks to find a solution to the freezing on
> custom/express.
>
> The nvidia IDE driver is optional; if it is not installed XP reverts to its
> own drivers.
>
> You can always get the nvidia IDE driver back by re-installing the drivers
> from the install CD.
>
> I'm not running any form of RAID, so I can't guarantee what will happen to
> those who have RAID, and uninstall the nvidia IDE driver.
>
> -Bob Anderson

Bob Anderson

Mar 13, 2006, 8:40:24 PM3/13/06
Rupert:

In start/settings/control panel/add remove programs/nvidia drivers

Click on nvidia drivers. It should give you a number of uninstall options.
Click on only remove the following, then click on IDE driver.

Don't be concerned about RAID. If you had it you would know about it for sure.

Hope this helps.

-Bob Anderson

Dwight

Mar 13, 2006, 10:48:27 PM3/13/06
I saw your post and immediately removed the nVidia IDE driver as you
described. I can now run Windows Updates normally. I am in a similar position
in that I am not using any RAID capabilities on my Foxconn board.

Thanks a bunch!! I will file this one away for future use.

I hope to see others resolve this problem in a similar fashion.

mabster

Mar 14, 2006, 1:26:35 AM3/14/06
Yep - I can confirm that removing the nVidia IDE driver solved the
problem on my PC.

I wonder who was at fault then? Was the driver faulty, or was the WGA
tool doing something it shouldn't have been doing?

RobertFord

Mar 14, 2006, 1:36:26 AM3/14/06
Bob,

Thank you, at last a solution that works for me!!

This has been a MAJOR thorn in my side and having just removed that driver I
can now hit on either "express" or "custom" without the freeze.

Thanks very much indeed.

RobertFord

Martyn Atkins

Mar 14, 2006, 6:28:27 AM3/14/06
Hi folks,

I tracked my problem down to the NVidia NForce4 SATA drivers. Re-installing
the Nvidia NForce4 latest drivers cured the problem totally - problem solved.

Martyn

Martyn Atkins

Mar 14, 2006, 6:30:27 AM3/14/06
Hi folks,

I tracked my problem down to the NVidia NForce4 SATA/IDE drivers.
Re-installing the very latest Nvidia NForce4/AMD drivers from Nvidia (not the
mobo manufacturer) cured the problem totally - problem solved.

Martyn

Tolomus

Mar 14, 2006, 10:10:29 AM3/14/06
Hey all,

I've been following this topic, as I have the same prolems as per my last
post...

However, when going to Add/Remove programs, under NVIDIA Drivers, the only
options I have are:

Remove all NVIDIA Drivers, including display
Remove all NVIDIA Drivers, except display
Remove only the following:
NVIDIA Display Driver
NVIDIA Ethernet Driver Componants
NVIDIA nForce PCI System Management Driver

Any thoughts? I don't really know what this IDE driver is... yet, as per my
last post, I have NVIDIA GeForce 6100.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

James.

Bob Anderson

Mar 14, 2006, 10:35:30 AM3/14/06
Tolomus:

I read your initial post, and your problem is not the same one that removing
the nvidia IDE driver solves. I don't understand why you don't see the IDE
driver listed in add/remove programs/nvidia.

I propose you find the latest and correct drivers for your rig on the Nvidia
site. You might also want to check out the nvidia forums, specifically the
forum concerning their drivers.

Sometimes the latest drivers do not work for everybody, and people having
problems often must settle for earlier versions. That's what you want to find
out in the forum, if the latest drivers work with your cpu and motherboard.

Good luck.

-Bob Anderson.

Joachim Horn

Mar 14, 2006, 12:28:38 PM3/14/06
Dwight wrote:
> I hope to see others resolve this problem in a similar fashion.

Hello, companions! :-)
May I join all users who are so thankful for Bob's proposal?
I had to specifically uninstall the NVidia IDE driver in the Device
Manager (Software | NVIDIA Display Drivers), and the freezing problem
was gone.
My machine now runs with the genuine XP IDE drivers, and, as I can say
until now, no problems with the DVD drives and the hard disk.

Thanks to all of you, especially Bob, Robert and Dwight, who had the
idea to consider a hardware / driver problem!

Joachim

galdhrim

Apr 12, 2006, 5:36:02 AM4/12/06
Hi Bob I have been having the same lock ups with the AMD 64 3500+ on a
Gigabyte GA-K8NF-9 board and Leadtek 6600GT graphics card. I don't know much
about what an IDE drive is and just wondering what removing the nvidia ones
will do. I play a lot of games, will it affect this?? I have downloaded the
latest graphics card drivers. Cheers Chris

tm

Apr 12, 2006, 5:53:01 AM4/12/06
I've got the same cpu and board as you, but a x800xl graphics card instead.

I was experiencing the same problems as you, unable to run windows update.

The resolution was to remove the nvidia drivers via the control panel. In my
configuration though it didnt list IDE drivers but removed the nvida ones
anyway.

I also then went into the Device Manager and uninstalled the nvidia IDE
drivers from the "IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers" node.

Reboot next, and windows will detect the drives and use its own IDE drivers.

Note, I uninstalled the drivers so it would be clean install for the new
nforce4 driver set. Download and install these. Reboot again.

The windows update should work now.

It looks like if you used the nvidia nforce4 driver set that came with the
original board you will have this problem. You need an updated nforce4 driver
set, and it appears something changed within either the windows update
process or the genuine validation tool that caused the problem.

Coincidently or not I was also experiencing crashing explorer.exe processes
when right clicking on drives in windows explorer. The nforce4 driver update
resolved this issue as well.

One word of caution, if you had "native queueing /NQ" turned off originally
on your IDE drivers (off by default i think), installing the new set will
turn this feature on. Originally I think it was a new tech and had some
reported data corruption issues. I'm guessing these have been fixed since, I
havent seen any problems.

galdhrim

Apr 12, 2006, 6:54:02 AM4/12/06
HI again, just wanting to check the right driver updates for motherboard from
NVidia site on the Gigabyte GA-K8NF-9 and AMD processor. In downloads do I go
Platform/nForce drivers
nForce AMD
XP
What is the nForce AMD/Inter X16 driver

tm

Apr 12, 2006, 12:07:02 PM4/12/06
Same question I had, they dont really explain it on the driver selection site
that well!

See
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NForce4

Basically its a SLI nforce4 driver set that you can ignore. Just download
the nforce4 amd set.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/nforce_nf4_winxp32_amd_6.70.html

galdhrim

Apr 12, 2006, 7:41:01 PM4/12/06
Cheers

Bob Anderson

Apr 17, 2006, 6:12:02 PM4/17/06

"tm" wrote:

> Same question I had, they dont really explain it on the driver selection site
> that well!
>
> See
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NForce4
>
> Basically its a SLI nforce4 driver set that you can ignore. Just download
> the nforce4 amd set.
>
> http://www.nvidia.com/object/nforce_nf4_winxp32_amd_6.70.html
>

>suggestions?

----------------------

That is correct if you are using a single non-SLI video card. Since hardly
anyone is, this should work for nearly everyone.

To solve the custom/express problem in windows update, you can delete the
nvidia IDE driver, XP then reverts to its native drivers, or install an
updated nvidia IDE driver. I have done both, and both work.

-Bob

littlepetel

Apr 23, 2006, 8:38:02 AM4/23/06
Wow... so many peoples with the same problem as myself!

I eventually followed the trail to Bob's solution, although I had a minor
hiccup when there were no Nvidia entries at all under "Add/Remove Programs".
Downloaded the latest Nvidia drivers and installed them, still no joy;
removed the 'IDE' driver, then Lo and behold, all working smoothly!
Thanks!!!!!

Grimm@discussions.microsoft.com Jason Grimm

Apr 24, 2006, 12:53:01 AM4/24/06
I began having this problem just this week, thinking it was something wrong
with my PC i reformatted and before installing any thirdparty software,
besides drivers, i performed windows updates, as soon as the first set of
updates were downloaded and installed and the machine was rebooted I began
having the problem again. I reported it to Microsoft by submitting the below
information.

What are you trying to do? Perform Windows updates using the Windows update
web site at http://update.microsoft.com/windowsupdate/v6/default.aspx?ln=en-us

How are you trying to do it?selectin Start >All Programs >Windows updates.
The site loads in IE and I select the Custom install button. Both the Express
and Custom buttons respond the same.

What is happening as a result? The selected button depresses stays depressed
and Windows stops responding completely. Ctrl+Alt+Del does nothing and a hard
reboot is required to reboot the machine.

How often is this problem happening?The problem began when I last attempted
to perform Windows updates this week. I reformatted my machine to attempt to
correct the issue and re-installed Windows, installed the required hardware
drivers for the machine and began the update process again. The site
functioned for the first download of the Windows 3.1 installer and the two
related updates. After reboot is when the problem starts. If a system restore
is performed restoring the PC to the state prior to the first update the site
again loads and functions allowin for the installation of the first update
and then the problem begins again. The System has been reformatted twice and
everytime responds the same. The machine is going on two years old and has
been reformatted numerous times as well as updated and this issue has only
just recently begun to occur. No event errors appear in any of the event logs
and no notification of the system recovering from a serious problem is given
after a hard reboot.
Does the problem involve any server products (for example, Windows Server
2003, SQL Server, Exchange Server)?No
Is your computer on a network with more than 10 computers? No

System Specifications:
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-K8NXP-SLI
Processor: AMD Athalon 64 3000+ Winchester Core
Memory: Corsair XMS PC3200 1GB (512 x 2) Unbuffered
Hard Disk: Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM SATA

Jason Grimm

Apr 24, 2006, 1:12:01 AM4/24/06
Should have read further, Installing the latest chipset drivers for my Nvidia
nForce4 SLI board successfully solved the issue.

Mike

Apr 25, 2006, 6:45:01 PM4/25/06

You wouldn't all happen to have AMD 64 chips would you?

I have an AMD 64, nVidia video card and gigabyte motherboard.

That (at least the AMD64) seemed to be a common thread.

- Mike

"floricicia" wrote:

> Hi chaps,
> Reading this thread with interest and wholeheartedley agree wtih your views
> about how nonsensical this 'Update' facility has become.
> My pc has not yet frozen ....but it took me 3 evenings to find a way to
> install the WGA tool before I could even access the update site......and
> then...all the updates will download but not one of them will install.
>
> How on earth Microsoft expect my Mum to go digging around in
> SoftwareDistribution folders and reassigning her permissions I've no idea-the
> thought of
> A) having an unsecure pc and
> B) having to rewrite her own software reduces her to impotent tears......she
> only wants to email and word process and doesn't know a CPU from a
> PSU.!.......how do Microsoft imagine she and (well probably 80% of the rest
> of the world) will dig themselves out of this problem?
> flo

Zepticon

Apr 26, 2006, 5:36:01 AM4/26/06
Hmm... Im having the same problems as you guys but i got a Gigabyte
K8NSNXP-Ultra (nForce 3) mobo with AMD64 3500+ and x800xt pe

I have tried both uninstaling IDE drivers, update drivers, and uninstall
updated IDE drivers, but it still FREEZE :(((

What can i do?

Mike

Apr 28, 2006, 2:23:01 PM4/28/06
Hi, I have an AMD64. I went to AMD and nVidia board and downloaded the nVidia
update "nforcewin2kxp 6.70"

After that , it worked. I could do updates and WGA. I even installed IE7
beta 2 which was hanging on validation.

I don't know how many AMD64 / nVidia (or simply nVidia board) users there
are in this boat, but it helped me.

- Mike

Griffiths@discussions.microsoft.com Nathan Griffiths

May 2, 2006, 8:19:02 AM5/2/06
I have an AMD Athlon 64 processor, NVidia nForce4 chipset and Gigabyte
GA-K8NXP-SLI motherboard and experienced the same problem as many reported
here of windows update freezing up my pc during the genuine validation
process.

After breaking my head over this for a while I simply downloaded all the
available driver updates for the NVidia chipset, Silicon graphics RAID
controller and my ATI Radeon x600 graphics card and installed them. Bingo,
windows update is working again.

Sorry i can't be more specific, but i have a sneaking suspicion it was the
RAID controller driver that did it. Anyway, my advice would be to update all
your NVidia drivers and see where that gets you.

cheers,

Nathan

amanapart

May 13, 2006, 7:39:01 AM5/13/06

I have just been through the same thing with MS support over a two week
period. Finally, last night, my support person found this thread and got me
to (selectively) remove the nVidia IDE driver.

Once out the way, Microsoft Update is working fine again.

I also, at MS suggestion downloaded just the IDE driver from nVidia.

Now .... everytime I reboot, I get the "New Hardware Found" Wizard for my
52x CD-Rom. Makes no sense, it works fine, and Device Manager shows that it
is using an MS driver from 2001.

Did I miss something?

You guys who are through and out the other side ... Did anyone else hit this?

Brian

May 20, 2006, 6:59:01 PM5/20/06
I have just managed to solve this for my GA-7N400 Pro2 (Rev 1.x), and
miraculously it was MS that fixed it. I finally allowed it to send off crash
information ("windows has recovered from a serious error") and it gave me a
meaningful site telling me the problem was with my "Silicon Image SiI 3112
SATARaid Controller".

Unfortunately, the advice was to go to windows update and get an updated
driver - nice try.

However, I found this device in the device manager (my computer, right
click, hardware tab, device manager, scsi and raid controllers), and got it
to update the driver.
WARNING - after doing this my PC wouldn't boot, but I changed the boot
device order (adding hdd1 at the begininning, which I think was it) and then
it worked.

Posting this to try and helop others.

Brian

Brian

May 20, 2006, 7:19:01 PM5/20/06
Quick note - having just rebooted, it was setting one of the boot devices to
scsi that let me boot again,

I@discussions.microsoft.com Gregorious I

May 31, 2006, 10:57:02 PM5/31/06
So who's fault is this as my customers think I've sold them pirated XP not to
mention the time spent fixing this mess..... I plan to sent MS an invoice for
each client I fix on their behalf.

"Bob Anderson" wrote:

> On my AMD64, VFN4 Chaintech motherboard, and 6600 video card, removing the
> nvidia IDE driver ONLY in add/remove programs/ nvidia drivers, cured this
> problem.
>
> It has taken me three weeks to find a solution to the freezing on
> custom/express.
>
> The nvidia IDE driver is optional; if it is not installed XP reverts to its
> own drivers.
>
> You can always get the nvidia IDE driver back by re-installing the drivers
> from the install CD.
>
> I'm not running any form of RAID, so I can't guarantee what will happen to
> those who have RAID, and uninstall the nvidia IDE driver.
>
> -Bob Anderson

Gregorious I

May 31, 2006, 11:05:02 PM5/31/06
This seems to have fixed my freezing and messages telling me I had invalid
key etc.

Hobbs@discussions.microsoft.com John Hobbs

Jun 4, 2006, 4:31:01 AM6/4/06
I have an AMD64 system using a Biostar NF4ST-A9 motherboard.

For weeks I have been plagued with this Windows Genuine Advantage update
freezing my machine. Thanks to you guys I have now uninstalled the NVidea IDE
driver as suggested and the windows update has installed. My current troubles
are over.

Don't micrsoft test their updates, I would have thought the IDE driver was a
quite common bit of software.

Robin Walker [MVP]

Jun 4, 2006, 6:50:51 AM6/4/06
John Hobbs <John Ho...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> I have an AMD64 system using a Biostar NF4ST-A9 motherboard.
>
> For weeks I have been plagued with this Windows Genuine Advantage
> update freezing my machine. Thanks to you guys I have now uninstalled
> the NVidea IDE driver as suggested and the windows update has
> installed. My current troubles are over.
>
> Don't micrsoft test their updates, I would have thought the IDE
> driver was a quite common bit of software.

This was a well-known defect in the nVidia IDE drivers, and there was
nothing that Microsoft could have done about it.

--
Robin Walker [MVP Networking]
rd...@cam.ac.uk

Peggy

Jun 30, 2006, 12:10:02 PM6/30/06
I am having problems since my last update that the nv4_display driver has
stopped working normally and cannot find out what to do about it ---any HELP?
Also I couldn't figure out how to type in a question without having to go to
reply.
--
Peggy

"RobertFord" wrote:

> I am having the exact same problem since I did an automatic update last week
> and the WGA was installed on my PC.
>
> I bet when you revisit the auto update page you don't see any logo above the
> Express install button either.
>
> I have so far had 3 phone calls with MS techs and spent nearly 4 hours on
> the phone with them. I have another appointment for Monday.
>
> So many files have been renamed on my machine by the MS techs and the
> problem is still here.
>
> They keep uninstalling Norton Internet Security and trying new things but
> still to no avail.
>
> Now Windows Media Player is not working correctly either.
>
> My PC is around 6 months old and I have never had to hard reboot it, yet
> since I tried the auto update last week and after all the phone calls I have
> had to hard reboot close to 100 times.
>
> If this was any other service I would be complaining to the Managing
> Director now but with MS I wouldn't even know how to start complaining.
>
> The case number for my problem is CASE_ID_NUM: SRQ060302600093 for anyone at
> MS who is prepared to listen and deal with this.
>
> Finally, after my last phone call on Friday last week the MS tech sent me a
> link... on how to uninstall Norton Internet Security completely from my
> machine.
>
> Glen, I'm glad you made your post as I can now hand on heart say that it's
> not just MY PC that is at fault.
>
> MS have to deal with these situations better instead of running riot over
> people's PCs and leaving a mess behind them.
>
> If MS sort this particulat issue for me tomorrow morning, I'll post what
> they did for me.
>
> Robert Ford

Robin Walker [MVP]

Jun 30, 2006, 12:32:50 PM6/30/06
Peggy <Pe...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> I am having problems since my last update that the nv4_display driver
> has stopped working normally and cannot find out what to do about it

Which updates (numbers) did you apply?

What do you mean by "stopped working normally"? What are the symptoms, or
error messages?

> ---any HELP? Also I couldn't figure out how to type in a question
> without having to go to reply.

You appear to be using a web-based portal for access to this newsgroup.
Which portal address (URL) are you using?

If you are using the ExpertZone newsgroups portal, you click "New", then
select "Question". You might have to disable third-party popup-blockers.

Williams

Mar 20, 2008, 6:19:03 PM3/20/08
Hey everyone,

I have the same problem, I get the blue screen of death related to the file
nv4_disp.dll, I have been looking at forums and such, and it seems lots of
people have the problem, but most have nVidia graphics cards that are the
6600 series or less, does anyone know if the problem arises with the 7000 or
higher graphics cards.

I have also read somewhere that the problem has something to do with the
graphics card and windows using alot of power or something along those lines,
and that the CPU gives power to one or the other, causing the failure of what
ever it is. This could explain why the blue screen is triggered at certain
points or when you do certain things.

Hope this was helpful.

isuzu1212

Dec 27, 2009, 3:14:01 AM12/27/09

Shenan Stanley

Dec 27, 2009, 10:42:30 AM12/27/09

isuzu1212 wrote:

isuzu1212,

While I am sure Glen Patterson appreciates the blank response to the 3 year
and 9 month old response of theirs - one might wonder why you would do that?

Entire archived conversation:
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsupdate/browse_frm/thread/f66976ee3becaa72/

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

Michael

Dec 27, 2009, 10:59:17 AM12/27/09
"Shenan Stanley" <newsh...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> Glen Patterson wrote:
>> For the last week I have not been able to click on Express or
>> Custom updates from the Microsoft update site. Everytime I click
>> one one of them, my computer will freeze. I re-imaged my computer
>> thinking that was the problem, so my computer has a clean image. I
>> attemped the re-register of the .dll, as suggested on a post, to
>> see if that would work and it does not.
>>
>> Any suggestions?
>
> isuzu1212 wrote:
>>

> isuzu1212,
>
> While I am sure Glen Patterson appreciates the blank response to the 3
> year and 9 month old response of theirs - one might wonder why you would
> do that?
>
> Entire archived conversation:
> http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsupdate/browse_frm/thread/f66976ee3becaa72/
>
> --