Sevice Pack 2 for XP

Wolfy20

Mar 31, 2008, 11:28:00 AM3/31/08
I just reinstalled XP Home Edition and need SP2. I can't install SP2 without
IE 7 and can't install IE 7 without SP2. Any suggestions?

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Mar 31, 2008, 12:03:34 PM3/31/08
1. Install WinXP SP2; see
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsupdate/msg/84f3684dcbf4a0cb

Direct download:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=049c9dbe-3b8e-4f30-8245-9e368d3cdb5a

2. Enable Automatic Updates and install all post-SP2 critical updates.

3. Required reading IMHO before installing IE7:

Sandi's Installation Tips <= FOLLOW THESE TIPS TO THE LETTER!

And I strongly recommend using
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/downloads/ie/getitnow.mspx as the

Tip: Save the installer to your desktop, do not Run it.

Make *certain* that you check in at Windows Update immediately after
installing IE7 and install any critical updates offered. If Optional
Updates category offers Root Certificates update, I recommend installing it
to take full advantage of IE7's additional security.

IEBlog : IE7 Installation and Anti-Malware Applications
http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2006/10/11/IE7-Installation-and-Anti_2D00_Malware-Applications.aspx

What's New in Internet Explorer 7

Release Notes
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/Aa740486.aspx
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net

MowGreen [MVP]

Mar 31, 2008, 1:03:17 PM3/31/08
Wrong. SP2 *can* be installed without IE7.
IE7 can *NOT* be installed unless SP2 is.

If you are attempting to install SP2 from either of the Update sites and
it will not install then use the Methods listed on this page:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943144

If it still will not install, suggest you download the entire package or
order it on CD and pay the shipping cost only:

Entire SP2 package
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=049C9DBE-3B8E-4F30-8245-9E368D3CDB5A&displaylang=en

SP2 CD
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/updates/sp2/cdorder/en_us/default.mspx

Then read this prior to installing it: Preparing for installation
http://winhlp.com/node/125#Preparing_for_installation

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

Shenan Stanley

Mar 31, 2008, 3:42:09 PM3/31/08
Wolfy20 wrote:
> I just reinstalled XP Home Edition and need SP2.

So download and install it.

> I can't install SP2 without IE 7

False.

> and can't install IE 7 without SP2.

True.

> Any suggestions?

Install SP2 and then install IE7.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

Wolfy20

Apr 1, 2008, 7:02:00 AM4/1/08
I appreciate your help. The previous suggestion worked so I did not get the
opportunity to take your advice.

Wolfy20

Apr 1, 2008, 7:01:01 AM4/1/08
Thanks a lot. This worked for. I am up and running.

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Apr 1, 2008, 4:38:29 PM4/1/08
YW & thanks very much for your feedback!

PA Bear [MS-MVP]

May 11, 2008, 2:00:03 PM5/11/08
If the machine's running WinXP SP1 without problems and is 100% free
of any/all hijackware infections, you can avoid installing quite a
number of updates by installing WinXP SP3 manually instead of SP2.

WinXP SP3 Direct Download (316.4 MB):
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=5b33b5a8-5e76-401f-be08-1e1555d4f3d4
--
~PA Bear