Windows update not working

calvin_hobbes

May 19, 2007, 11:00:00 PM5/19/07
I've had Windows XP SP2 on my Dell Latitude for quite a long time now, and
regular windows updates were working till today. I tried to install the
following security updates, and installation failed (w/o any error code)

Microsoft Office 2002/XP
Office XP Service Pack 3

Microsoft Windows XP
Security Update for Internet Explorer 7 for Windows XP (KB929969)
Windows Genuine Advantage Notification (KB905474)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB925902)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB931784)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB930178)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB931261)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB932168)
Update for Windows XP (KB930916)
Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 7 for Windows XP (KB931768)

Microsoft CAPICOM
Security Update for CAPICOM (KB931906)

When i click on the link to look for update-history, i do not see anything
http://www.update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate/v6/history.aspx?ln=en-us
http://www.update.windows.com/windowsupdate/v6/history.aspx?ln=en-us

Even manual updates do not seem to be working. Can anyone help me find the
problem?

teacher@discussions.microsoft.com Engligh teacher

May 20, 2007, 8:07:00 AM5/20/07

Engligh teacher

May 20, 2007, 8:08:00 AM5/20/07

GoldenNorm

May 20, 2007, 12:39:00 PM5/20/07
I've got a similar problem. I found that the updates you list installed
themselves when I chose to shutdown my machine. However, I've been unable to
obtain the same result with some hardware and non-essential software updates.
I get the list of failed installations, but no error message. I installed the
patches described by Robin Walker with no effect.

John

Sep 16, 2008, 2:07:36 PM9/16/08
Did you ever find out what the problem was? I am having the same issue now on my laptop, with what looks to be the same updates. Also, I am unable to install Windows Live programs... failed install with no reason given. Is this perhaps a OS verification lockout? or a SP3 issue? It seems to only be Microsoft stuff.

Any help would be most appreciative.

Thanks! -john

MowGreen [MVP]

Sep 16, 2008, 5:49:06 PM9/16/08
See: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943144

Do Method 1. If no joy, install the latest Version of the Windows Update
Agent [WUA] as described in Method 2.

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

Zazu

Jul 7, 2009, 7:02:11 AM7/7/09

hey did you get it fixed. cos i have the exact same problem as you on
my laptop and desktop and i can't instal windows live stuff on my
laptop. please get back to me

--
Zazu
Zazu's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/112269.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

Shenan Stanley

Jul 7, 2009, 8:11:02 AM7/7/09
<snipped by way of web forum synchronization>

Zazu wrote:
> hey did you get it fixed. cos i have the exact same problem as you
> on my laptop and desktop and i can't instal windows live stuff on my
> laptop. please get back to me

Seriously? More web forum responses to really old web forum posts?

Here is the complete thread...
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsupdate/browse_frm/thread/bcb8d85ca0903938

Did you try anything from it?

If so (or if not) try this:

SuperAntiSpyware
http://www.superantispyware.com/

MalwareBytes
http://www.malwarebytes.com/

if you wish.

Download and run the MSRT manually:

Reboot.

Fix your file/registry permissions...

Ignore the title and follow the sub-section under "Advanced Troubleshooting"
titled, "Method 1: Reset the registry and the file permissions"
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949377

Reboot and ...

Search your registry for %fystem and replace the "f" with an "s". May be
three or four matches, may be none. You may even have to take ownership
(even after doing the above) of the keys in order to make the change.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloadS/details.aspx?familyid=5A58B56F-60B6-4412-95B9-54D056D6F9F4&displaylang=en

Reboot.

and...

... and save it to the root of your C:\ drive. After saving it to the root
of the C:\ drive, do the following:

Start button --> RUN and type in:
--> Click OK.

Reboot.

Then follow the instructions here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058

Reboot.

and..

Log on as an user with administrative rights (assuming you are in this case
- given your problem) and open Internet Explorer and visit
http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/ and select to do a CUSTOM scan...
(Every time you are about to click on something while at these web pages -
release the CTRL key after clicking each time.)

(deselect any others) and install it.

Reboot again.

time.

against the "Windows Search" one and any of the "Office Live" ones for
now. I would completely avoid the Optional Hardware updates. Also - I do
not see any urgent need to install Internet Explorer 8 at this time.

Come back - let us know if that worked.
... Really - come back and let everyone know if that worked.

You may want to run a second scan with SuperAntiSpyware and MalwareBytes
after everything is updated.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

JeffR

Mar 26, 2010, 9:47:27 PM3/26/10

I had a similar problem. The fix described here worked perfectly!

--
JeffR
JeffR's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/200499.htm