XP Sp3 installed, then later IE 8, lost IE in All Programs

1 view

MTsang987

May 22, 2009, 3:36:01 AM5/22/09

I installed XP SP3. The next day I updated IE to IE 8 via Windows Update.
The brower was acting slow, so I removed and reinstalled IE8.

Now IE disappered from the Start -> All Programs. How do I add it to the
All Programs area.

Robert Aldwinckle

May 22, 2009, 9:23:12 AM5/22/09
(cross-post added to XP General)
"MTsang987" <MTsa...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:72A5C529-8DFD-4268...@microsoft.com...

Is it in the Start menu itself and is there an IE icon on your Desktop?
Perhaps you need to allow that to make it show anywhere?
(E.g. via Customize Start Menu and via Add/Remove Windows Components)

Note the Description with the Internet Explorer entry in the Windows
Components Wizard: Adds or removes access to Internet Explorer
from the Start menu and Desktop.

BTW this question would better be asked in an XP NG.
Cross-posting to one for convenience.

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
---

Gerry

May 22, 2009, 10:27:17 AM5/22/09
MTsang987

Which option have you chose if you right click on the Start button and
select Properties, Start tab? Start menu or Classic Start menu?

--

Hope this helps.

Gerry
~~~~
FCA
Stourport, England
Enquire, plan and execute
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

MTsang987

May 22, 2009, 11:44:12 AM5/22/09
I have the normal (non-Classic) Start Menu. At first it did not appear in
the Start Menu.

I went to Customize the Start Menu and under Internet, I saw that nothing
was selected in the Internet drop-down box. I changed the value in the
dropdown box to Internet Explorer. That solved it being on the Start Menu.
I was able to create a shortcut on the desktop by dragging and drop Internet
Explorer from the Start Menu.

However, I still do not have Internet Explorer in the Start --> All
programs. How do I add it there.

MTsang987

May 22, 2009, 11:46:10 AM5/22/09

PA Bear [MS MVP]

May 22, 2009, 12:42:25 PM5/22/09
[Adding IE General to the crosspost]

Thead history:
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsupdate/browse_frm/thread/b9abf223969f28fc

To keep track of things, it helps immensely if you quote all of the previous
message(s) in your replies to the newsgroup. Thank you.

in the background when you installed SP3 and/or IE8?

Do you have a available Restore Points which predate (1) the install of IE8
and (2) the install of SP3? <=JUST ASKING FOR NOW!
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

MTsang987

May 22, 2009, 1:38:02 PM5/22/09
Thank you for your replies.

Some history, for the sequence of events.

I had High Speed Internet, which came with McAfee Antiviru for about a year
by my cable company. I didn't ever have any other antivirus.

Three days ago I switched to DSL by my phone company. The phone company
modem install CD recommends Windows OneLive installation which I clicked.
The Windows OneLive install removed the McAfee Antivirus due to conflicts.
Besides, McAfee subscription was only free with continued service with the
cable company.

The Windows OneLive pointed me to Windows Update, where I installed XP SP3.
Initially I did not select to update IE7 to IE8. A day later, due to nusance
messages fro LiveOne, I went to Windows Update to install IE8. I don't
think I have Retore Points.

Michael

MTsang987 wrote:
[...]

MTsang987

May 22, 2009, 2:41:02 PM5/22/09
Sorry, I marked these as answered when I meant to mark them as helpful.

I still would like to know how to put IE under All Programs. I couldn't
find the appropriate iexpore.exe.

Thanks,
Michael

PA Bear [MS MVP]

May 22, 2009, 4:14:09 PM5/22/09
[Again, please do NOT edit the quoting in your replies and always quote all
of the message to which you're replying.]

Did you disable OneCare's anti-virus, anti-spyware, and firewall components
and then enable the Windows Firewall prior to installing WinXP SP3 and/or
IE8?

> I don't think I have [Restore] Points.

Please check & see if you do (and I'm not referring to any OneCare backups).

The above notwithstanding:

1. Download the McAfee Consumer Products Removal Tool, saving it to your
desktop: http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?id=TS100507

2. Close all open applications (i.e., anything with a taskbar icon) then
double-click on the saved file to run the utility. Do not TOUCH the
computer or keyboard until the run completes.

3. Reboot & test.
--
~PA Bear

MTsang987 wrote:
> Sorry, I marked these as answered when I meant to mark them as helpful.
>
> I still would like to know how to put IE under All Programs. I couldn't
> find the appropriate iexpore.exe.

Robert Aldwinckle

May 22, 2009, 5:38:14 PM5/22/09

"MTsang987" <MTsa...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7CB952B3-4669-4BEC...@microsoft.com...

>I have the normal (non-Classic) Start Menu. At first it did not appear in
> the Start Menu.
>
> I went to Customize the Start Menu and under Internet, I saw that nothing
> was selected in the Internet drop-down box. I changed the value in the
> dropdown box to Internet Explorer. That solved it being on the Start Menu.

> I was able to create a shortcut on the desktop by dragging and drop Internet
> Explorer from the Start Menu.

You shouldn't have had to have done that. There is another customization
in Display Properties that you could try... Or not? YMMV. I was going
to point out Customize Desktop... but I don't see an IE item in there
any more either. But I still do have the special IE icon on the Desktop.
I.e. not an Internet Shortcut and different right-click menu than the one
in the Start menu. Weird.

> However, I still do not have Internet Explorer in the Start --> All
> programs. How do I add it there.

I think it would be a good idea for you to look at both your current user's
and All Users Start menus in Explorer windows. Right-click on the Start
button and use both the Open and the Open All Users menu items.
Then drill down in the Programs folder of each.

FWIW I only have a shortcut for Internet Explorer in the current user's
Start Menu\Programs folder. And it's just a regular Desktop shortcut
(aka .lnk file) with Target like: "F:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe"

I have no idea why you would have to regenerate these items manually.

HTH

Robert
---

Gerry

May 22, 2009, 7:08:07 PM5/22/09
Robert

I tried to figure what places Internet Explorer in the All Programmes
list. I have drawn a blank. I particularly looked at Start Menus in
Windows Explorer. Perhaps we should be looking in the Registry?

--

Gerry
~~~~

Ottmar Freudenberger

May 23, 2009, 2:05:28 AM5/23/09
"MTsang987" <MTsa...@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb:

> I still would like to know how to put IE under All Programs. I couldn't
> find the appropriate iexpore.exe.

It's located in "%programfiles%\Internet Explorer". Create a shortcut
to that one and you're done.

Bye,
Freudi

MTsang987

May 23, 2009, 9:14:01 PM5/23/09
I did not disable OneCare's AV, Antispyware, but it was part on the OneCare
intallation screens (property pages) that took me to Windows Update. My
memory is hazy but I after I allowed the ActiveX control of Windows Update, I
think I had a warning to allow running of the SP3 install.

I've run the McAfee removal tool as you've advised, thank you. I haven't
noticed a change.

Sorry to ask a novice question, but how do I determine if I have a restore
point?

Thanks,
Michael

MTsang987

May 23, 2009, 9:17:01 PM5/23/09
Under "%programfiles%\Internet Explorer" I only have a iexplore(2).exe. I
tried to invoke this by double-clicking but nothing runs.

The shortcut that occurs when I went to Start Menu, customize, does not have
the location of the Target, so I don't know what is being invoked.

Thanks,
Michael

Gerry

May 24, 2009, 3:42:10 AM5/24/09
Michael

That is is an odd result to get.

iexplore(2).exe suggests there was another or perhaps two iexplore.exe
files in the folder. You cannot have more than file with the same name
in the same folder. You must have had an iexplore.exe and an
iexplore(1).exe in the folder at the time it was placed there. What is
the file version, created date and modified date of iexplore(2).exe.
Right click on the file in Windows Explorer to get this information?

If you select Start, Help and Support, Keep your Windows up- to-date
with Windows Update, Review your Update History you can see the update
Internet Explorer 8 for Windows XP. What is the Failure code. Double
click the small red icon in the Status column for the failed update.

--

Hope this helps.

Gerry
~~~~
FCA
Stourport, England
Enquire, plan and execute
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

,

MTsang987

May 24, 2009, 10:16:04 AM5/24/09
I don't have any Failed IE installs. However on 5/20 it list 2 successful
installs on the Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool (KB89830), and a
canceled install of MS SQL Server 2005 Express SP3 (I canceled due to the
long download time).
On 5/20 it shows successful install of IE7 Security Update (KB96307).

On 5/21 it shows sucessfull install of MS SQL Server 2005 Express SP3; MS
Silverlightl; IE8 for XP; Update for IE* Dynamic Installer Compatibility View
List for XP (KB969497).

As I stated before I was having problems a slow connection with IE8 so I
removed and reinstalled IE8. However, this was not via Windows Update, so
there is no entry there.

PA Bear [MS MVP]

May 24, 2009, 10:22:51 AM5/24/09
> how do I determine if I have [an available] restore point?

How to restore Windows XP to a previous state:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306084

Also see
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/helpandsupport/getstarted/ballew_03may19.mspx

Please remember that I only asked if you had an available Restore Point
which predated (a) the install of IE8 and/or (b) the install of WinXP SP3.
I did not suggest or recommend that you use it, at least not at this point.

MTsang987 wrote:
> I did not disable OneCare's AV, Antispyware, but it was part on the
> OneCare
> intallation screens (property pages) that took me to Windows Update. My
> memory is hazy but I after I allowed the ActiveX control of Windows
> Update,
> I think I had a warning to allow running of the SP3 install.
>
> I've run the McAfee removal tool as you've advised, thank you. I haven't
> noticed a change.
>
> Sorry to ask a novice question, but how do I determine if I have a restore
> point?

Gerry

May 24, 2009, 5:58:30 PM5/24/09
MTsang987

"However, this was not via Windows Update, so
there is no entry there."

What procedure did you follow when you uninstalled? How did you install?

Are you allowing Automatic Updates to install automatically without
intervention?

--

Hope this helps.

Gerry
~~~~
FCA
Stourport, England
Enquire, plan and execute
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Jose

May 24, 2009, 6:12:48 PM5/24/09
On May 22, 11:44 am, MTsang987 <MTsang...@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

Wherever you see a shortcut to IE, right click it and choose copy (it
is now on your clipboard).

Click your Start menu, right click All Programs, Open. Open the
Programs folder. Is there a shortcut in there to IE?

If not, right click inside the open Programs folder and choose paste
and the shortcut will be pasted.

Now if you go to Start, All Programs, you will see it.

Is that what you want?

Jose

Jose

MTsang987

May 24, 2009, 9:06:01 PM5/24/09
I'm not too sure how I uninstalled. It was either a MS KB article or by
Control Panel -> Add or Remove Programs -> Add/Remove Windows Components.

I think I installed by going to MSN.com. It was advertising downloading IE8.

MTsang987

May 24, 2009, 9:08:01 PM5/24/09
Is your iexplore.exe under %ProgramFiles%\Internet Explorer, and what size is
it?

What happens when you double click it in the folder?

Thanks,
Michael

MTsang987

May 24, 2009, 10:06:00 PM5/24/09
Yes, that works, thank you.

I am still wondering why I have an iexplore(2).exe in my %program
Files%\Internet Explorer\ directory which I can't invoke by double-clicking
on it, but I am satisfied for now.

Michael

Gerry

May 25, 2009, 2:37:59 AM5/25/09
MTsang987

MTsang987 wrote:
> Is your iexplore.exe under %ProgramFiles%\Internet Explorer, and what
> size is it?

Yes. Size 623 kb -638,816.

> What happens when you double click it in the folder?

Internet Explorer opens.

> Thanks,
> Michael

Gerry

May 25, 2009, 2:50:25 AM5/25/09
Bear

I am not sure whether you are monitoring the related threads. So far as
I can determine MTsang987 has managed to have more than one version of
IE8 installed at the same time. There could have been three at the same
time. One came from MSDN and others from Windows Update. It seems
possible that bits from more than installation could still be present on
the system. I am uncertain as to the best way to proceed.

--

Gerry
~~~~

MTsang987

May 25, 2009, 12:56:01 PM5/25/09
Thanks to everyone for the replies. I found out that I have this file with
the same size and name.

My folder optons were set to show hidden files only but not Operating System
files. When I changed to Unhide Protected Operating System files in the
%program Files%\Internet Explorer\ directory, the iexplore.exe appears and I
can open it to invoke IE8.

Thanks again,
Michael

PA Bear [MS MVP]

May 25, 2009, 1:00:50 PM5/25/09

Gerry

May 25, 2009, 5:23:06 PM5/25/09
MTsang987

Thanks for reporting the outcome.

Ottmar Freudenberger

May 26, 2009, 3:46:52 AM5/26/09
"MTsang987" <MTsa...@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb:

> Under "%programfiles%\Internet Explorer" I only have a iexplore(2).exe.

Which shouldn't be there at all. Did you rename the original iexplore.exe
once? Looks like a replacement from the DLLCache after you/a program has
renamed/deleted the original iexplore.exe once.

Which "security" applications are running in the background?

Can you find "iexplore.exe" in the %windir%\System32\DLLCache folder?
If true, what's the version for this exe beeing shown in the properties
of that file?

Bye,
Freudi

Ottmar Freudenberger

May 26, 2009, 3:49:36 AM5/26/09
"Ottmar Freudenberger" <fre...@gmx.net> schrieb:

> "MTsang987" <MTsa...@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb:
>
>> Under "%programfiles%\Internet Explorer" I only have a iexplore(2).exe.
>
> Which shouldn't be there at all. Did you rename the original iexplore.exe
> once? Looks like a replacement from the DLLCache after you/a program has
> renamed/deleted the original iexplore.exe once.

Ooops, please disregard. I've just followed the thread to find out,
that "the issue" has been resolved in the meantime.

Bye,
Freudi