Windows Update Page ERROR in Xp(64)

RoseW

Nov 14, 2008, 3:15:36 PM11/14/08
System: Xp pro 64
One month old
All updates installed as of purchase Oct.12
Nov.13 update arrived automatically and installed .
I wondered what updates installed since the configuration did not appear on
the screen (my other machine is configured to have me click and choose
automatic or custom)
so I went to the Windows Update page to look at the history of updates.

The history link presented that there was no history of updates. There is a
very large list of updates on the harddrive
After clicking on scan for updates the message Error loading Page
The troubleshooting list suggests that it is a removal of Service pack 1
through System Restore or reinstalling Xp into the same directory

To my knowledge this hasn't occurred -at least, not by my hand.
The actual updates appear to be arriving and installing since I found 2 in
the add/remove dated 11/13/08.
The log is extremely long and it took awhile for the download so there must
have been a little difficulty.
I checked my host file and there is not a static address there for MS...only
my local address of the 127.0.0.0 style
Virus and Spy scans give clean results. There is a Linksey router in place,
working properly.

The troubleshooting registry edit suggested is to change a key in the
HKLM-current version-control-windows CSDVersion to be 0

My registry has the following information:
CSDReleaseType (0)
CSDVersion 0x000000200(512)
Directory %SystemRoot%
errormode (0)
NoInteractiveServce (0)
ShellErrorMode (1)
ShutdownTime
SystemDirectory %SystemRoot%\system32

I'm hesitant to change this CSDVersion number since I don't think Service
Pack 1 or a reinstall has taken place

I hoped someone here could translate my registry settings or have an
alternate suggestion as to correct the 'error loading page' at the update
page.
(I only use Internet Explorer for the update page so perhaps I have to
configure something in its settings-which hasn't been adjusted since I use
Firefox )

Rose

--
http://rwgallery.gogax.com

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Nov 14, 2008, 5:56:20 PM11/14/08
If you go now to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com, select the CUSTOM
option and scan, are any critical security updates offered? If so, can you
successfully install them?

NB: Please do NOT install IE7 or any Service Packs at this point! Please do
NOT install any Optional Updates at this point!

More:

Is this a brand-new computer or a new computer for you?

Right-click on My Computer & select Properties: What version of WinXP is
displayed here, Rose?

You use the word "error" in your subject but you didn't cite an error in
your post. Explain.

> Nov.13 update arrived automatically and installed

How do you know the updates released this month were automatically
installed?

> ...I went to the Windows Update page to look at the history of updates.

> The history link presented that there was no history of updates

That can happen when...

C:\Windows\Software Distribution <=this folder

...has been damaged. Such damage is most often associated with your
installed anti-virus application's settings. See this KB article and adhere
to its recommendations to avoid this problem:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822158
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net

RoseW

Nov 14, 2008, 7:38:27 PM11/14/08

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABe...@gmail.com> wrote in message

| If you go now to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com, select the CUSTOM
| option and scan, are any critical security updates offered? If so, can
you
| successfully install them?
|
| NB: Please do NOT install IE7 or any Service Packs at this point! Please
do
| NOT install any Optional Updates at this point!
|
| More:
|
| Is this a brand-new computer or a new computer for you?

Yes its a brand new custom built computer

| Right-click on My Computer & select Properties: What version of WinXP is
| displayed here, Rose?

Microsoft Windows Xp Professonal x^4 Edition Version 2003 Service Pack 2

| You use the word "error" in your subject but you didn't cite an error in
| your post. Explain.
|
| > Nov.13 update arrived automatically and installed
|
| How do you know the updates released this month were automatically
| installed?

The uninstall has 11/13 articles and the add remove have Kb 957097 and
Kb955069
The Windows update log indicated the download and install had completed
successfully

| > ...I went to the Windows Update page to look at the history of updates.
| > The history link presented that there was no history of updates
|
| That can happen when...
| C:\Windows\Software Distribution <=this folder
|
| ...has been damaged. Such damage is most often associated with your
| installed anti-virus application's settings. See this KB article and
adhere
| to its recommendations to avoid this problem:
| http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822158
| --

The Software Distribution folder appears to have accurate content when I
open it as a text file.
I'll check the above kb article.
Rose

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Nov 15, 2008, 1:25:23 AM11/15/08
Repost #1:

>> If you go now to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com, select the CUSTOM
>> option and scan, are any critical security updates offered? If so, can
>> you
>> successfully install them?

Repost #2:

>> You use the word "error" in your subject but you didn't cite an error in
>> your post. Explain.

> The Software Distribution folder appears to have accurate content when I

> open it as a text file.

Don't worry about that now. If your Update History at
http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com is empty, chances are that the Software
Distribution folder has been (already) damaged or someone/something
"intentionally" altered it.

If Update History is still empty after you install the next round of
updates, I'd take the machine back to the shop.
--
~PA Bear

K2

Nov 15, 2008, 2:36:16 AM11/15/08
"RoseW" <wd...@nshurontel.on.ca> wrote in message

<snip>

> The uninstall has 11/13 articles and the add remove have Kb 957097 and
> Kb955069

<snip>

> There is a Linksey router in place, working properly.

Hmmm... that combination sounds familiar. I'm seeing a pattern here.
I'm thinking there are some issues between that set of patches and Linksys
hardware.

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Nov 15, 2008, 7:28:07 PM11/15/08
Follow-up: As RoseW appears to have found joy (cf.,
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsupdate/msg/4d5e3793bbd11dbb), I
am no longer Watching this thread.