Update will NOT Install (KB928367)

spazz

Jul 15, 2007, 1:10:01 PM7/15/07
Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework, Version 1.0 Service Pack 3
(KB928367)

Computer constantly alerting me of this important update, I click it to
install, it says it's installing but then after 30 seconds tells me that it
failed and was not installed. I turn off the computer, tells me it is
installing updates, I turn it back on to find the annoying alert of the same
update. Why won't this install? I've tried turning off Norton and any other
firewalls but to no avail.

I have Windows XP Version 2002 with Service Pack 2.

Anyone have any suggestions??

Thank you in advance

Shenan Stanley

Jul 15, 2007, 1:20:33 PM7/15/07

For you (1), (4)-(6)...

(1) You need to repair .NET Framework 1.1 - obliterating all remnants of it
and installing it/patching it fully.

How to troubleshoot Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 installation issues
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/824643
- Unregister and then reregister Windows Installer (See article)
- Manually remove and then reinstall the .NET Framework 1.1 (See Article)
For the articles below, follow the "IT professionals" link and find the
download for your OS.
- Download/Install http://support.microsoft.com/kb/867460/
- Download/Install http://support.microsoft.com/kb/886903/
- Download/Install http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928366/

Reboot as needed and at the end.

(2) You need to repair .NET Framework 2.0 - obliterating all remnants of it
and installing it/patching it fully.

How to troubleshoot Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 installation issues
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/908077/
- Unregister and then reregister Windows Installer (See article)
- Manually remove and then reinstall the .NET Framework 2.0 (See Article)
For the articles below, follow the "IT professionals" link and find the
download for your OS.
- Download/Install http://support.microsoft.com/kb/917283/
- Download/Install http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922770/
- Download/Install http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928365/

Reboot as needed and at the end.

(3) You need to repair .NET Framework 3.0 - obliterating all remnants of it
and installing it/patching it fully.

Unfortunately - there is no particular article pertaining to .NET Framework
3.0 that I could find. I have not had issues, however, just going into the
Control Panel --> Add or Remove Programs and just locating/removing it and
its patches. I suggest you do the same and then reboot...

Download/install using this distributable package:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=10CC340B-F857-4A14-83F5-25634C3BF043&displaylang=en

Reboot as needed and at the end.

(4) Cleanup your updates system...

Get Dial-a-Fix:
http://wiki.djlizard.net/Dial-a-fix

Use its options to fix:
- Windows Installer
- Windows Update
- All the Registration Center options

Turn off the "Empty System32\Catroot 2"
Do NOT do "Flush SoftwareDistribution".

Then click "GO"... May take a while.

Reboot when it is done...

(5) Visit http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/ and scan for updates. Choose
the critical updates you need and install them. Do not bother getting
hardware updates (unless you happen to have some Microsoft hardware
installed) and "Optional Updates" are *usually* just what the name infers -
but feel free to see if you want any of the "Optional" ones.

(6) Come back here and let us know how you faired.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

Niel

Jul 15, 2007, 1:32:02 PM7/15/07
I am having the same issue, so it's not just one person's problem it's the
update that has the problem.

Shenan Stanley

Jul 15, 2007, 1:44:19 PM7/15/07

Niel wrote:
> I am having the same issue, so it's not just one person's problem
> it's the update that has the problem.

Your point is?
It only takes a Google search to make that realization - but it does not
mean providing help when asked should be avoided. Therefore - I provide a
work-around solution that should get the OP (and many others) past this
little issue and on with their lives.

Should it be Microsoft's obligation to correct the problem with the
patch(es) and perhaps even come out with something that just runs/fixes it?
Sure.

Does it exist as of this moment? AFAIK - no.

So should I just sit and not help until Microsoft comes up with something
for everyone? No.

Thanks for your comments.

Ray &Fran

Jul 15, 2007, 2:00:18 PM7/15/07
Had a problem with KB 928366 and Kb928367 not updating
Followed Shenans steps and got Kb928366 to updated no problem
I could not seem to get Kb 928367 to update . Sent a message to microsoft
explaining everything I did and here is Johns reply. GUess I do not need
KB928367 for 1.0 if KB928366 had updated

Dear Fran,

Thank you for your reply.

I understand that we are able to install the .NET Framework 2.0 and the
update for it. However, the Windows Update still try to install update patch
for the .NET Framework 1.0 version.

This is caused by corrupted .NET Framework 1.0 components. Since we have
higher version installed, there is no need to install the lower version any
more.

At this point, let us refer to the following steps to hide the incorrect
update.

Hide incorrect update

=========================

1. Open IE and go to the Windows Update site directly:

http://www.windowsupdate.com

2. Click "Custom Install" to scan your system (Not Express Install).

3. After it finishes, please unclick the incorrect update.

4. Choose "Don't show this update again"

5. Please scan the computer again to check the result.

Please let me know if this has addressed your concern. If anything is
unclear, please feel free to let me know. I am glad to be of assistance.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Best Regards,

John Yang

Microsoft Windows Update Support Professional

--
Fran

"spazz" <sp...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Shenan Stanley

Jul 15, 2007, 2:11:25 PM7/15/07

Excellent addition!
Thanks for sharing!

Don Burnette

Jul 15, 2007, 5:50:34 PM7/15/07

"Shenan Stanley" <newsh...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> spazz wrote:
>> Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework, Version 1.0 Service
>> Pack 3 (KB928367)
>>
>> Computer constantly alerting me of this important update, I click
>> it to install, it says it's installing but then after 30 seconds
>> tells me that it failed and was not installed. I turn off the
>> computer, tells me it is installing updates, I turn it back on to
>> find the annoying alert of the same update. Why won't this
>> install? I've tried turning off Norton and any other firewalls but
>> to no avail.
>>
>> I have Windows XP Version 2002 with Service Pack 2.
>>
>> Anyone have any suggestions??
>
> For you (1), (4)-(6)...
>
> (1) You need to repair .NET Framework 1.1 - obliterating all remnants of
> it
> and installing it/patching it fully.

< snip >

No offense, but how about MS, repair it's OWN damn update ?

Obviously, many, many folks are having this same issue. This group has been
loaded with complaints, for the same issue, since it was released. They
didn't test it, evidently just threw it up there.

I have always, been very careful, to keep my Windows XP Pro system properly
maintained, and updates properly installed.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled the net frameworks, with the same end
result. I have painstakenly followed some of the solutions posted on this
group, steps a windows user should NOT have to go through to run an update.
This update, just will not install for me.
I have now hidden, this broken update.

--
Don

spazz

Jul 15, 2007, 9:22:01 PM7/15/07
Hey, Have serious problems.....I tried to uninstall the .net framework but
windows installer wouldn't allow me so I looked up help in relation to
windows installer, changed some permissions and re-named hot_key "security".
Instructions on Microsoft website. I rebooted my system and now it is
running extremely and I mean seriously slow and keeps freezing up. Now
what?? The update is fixed I think but what the heck did I do to my system?
Oh bother.

PuppyGumDrop

Jul 16, 2007, 12:48:00 AM7/16/07
I agree with Don,
I am NOT going to "repair" .NET Framework. Microsoft can repair their own
software and any updates that will not install.
Security flaws in any Microsoft product requiring updates are Microsofts
problem - NOT mine. Stop passing the buck Microsoft.

Patrick Philippot

Jul 16, 2007, 6:21:23 AM7/16/07

Please see thread titled "[SOLUTION] You cannot install KB928366 (.Net
Framework 1.1 security update)".

Regards.

--
Patrick Philippot - Microsoft MVP
MainSoft Consulting Services

HEMI-Powered

Jul 16, 2007, 9:40:29 AM7/16/07
Shenan Stanley added these comments in the current discussion du
jour ...

> spazz wrote:
>> Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework, Version 1.0
>> Service Pack 3 (KB928367)
>>
>> Computer constantly alerting me of this important update, I
>> click it to install, it says it's installing but then after
>> 30 seconds tells me that it failed and was not installed. I
>> turn off the computer, tells me it is installing updates, I
>> turn it back on to find the annoying alert of the same
>> update. Why won't this install? I've tried turning off
>> Norton and any other firewalls but to no avail.
>>
>> I have Windows XP Version 2002 with Service Pack 2.
>>
>> Anyone have any suggestions??
>
> For you (1), (4)-(6)...

What is .NET Framework, exactly? I skipped the patch or two that
have caused people so much trouble and am just living with
whatever vulnerability exists. My level of frustration tolerance
and time I'd rather spend elsewhere is enough that I don't want
to do a major uninstall-reinsall of something that may not be of
much importance to me, or something I don't use/need at all.

Thanks for the help.

--
HP, aka Jerry

Craig

Jul 17, 2007, 6:34:02 AM7/17/07
Hi there

I just want to say a big thank you to everyone involved with this. Your
comments really helped me out. Using dial-a-fix worked for me only after
trying everything else found on various forums.

Thanks again

Craig

serban_l

Jul 18, 2007, 3:24:01 AM7/18/07
set the value for 'DisableRollback' to '0'. regedit => find => DisableRollback

works !!!!

spazz

Jul 20, 2007, 9:30:01 PM7/20/07
Thank you for your help, much appreciated. Had to turn off auto protect on
Norton 2007 to system restore. My computer is back up and running but still
dealing with the update. My .Net Framework 2.0 and 3.0 are installed and
working fine, just 1.0.3705 is not installed and the hot fixes are damaged.
Taking your advice on seaching Microsoft website. Will let you know progress.

Thanks.

Toni

Jul 21, 2007, 10:34:35 AM7/21/07
I uninstalled the default microsoft .NET Framework version 1. (something) for
windows xp home edition 2002.....I would like to reinstall cuz I screwed up
my security downloads. I installed .NET framework 2.0 but that appears to be
the wrong move.....I did all this to remove a serious virus attack that got
into the registry keys......Can I use .net 1.1 for windows xp (default 2002
version)? I cant find the .net 1.1 download for windows xp 2002
specifically. Thank you, Toni

Willy

Jul 26, 2007, 6:04:00 AM7/26/07
hello,

Not sure but try the following

go to C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\Download\Install
you should find NDP1.1sp1-KB928366-X86.exe

if not you can re-get the file here
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=281fb2cd-c715-4f05-a01f-0455d2d9ebfb

Extract it with winzip you'll get 3 files :

Microsoft.WindowsInstaller.dll
Microsoft.WindowsInstaller.Package.dll
PatchExec.exe

Now extract patchexec.exe with winzip you(ll get 1 file

patch.msp

Right click on patch.msp

windows installer will tell you the package is invalid.

So i think the patch can not install at all.

Of course re-installing the whole windows, or the .net 1.1 or 1.2 will solve
the proble if the fix is included in the full package... and then 928366 will
not be needed anymore... But when needed 928366 will never install ...
because it's corrupt from the beginning

or if it's not corrupt it's perhaps an installer issue ... but the installer
works very well with other apps.

I would prefer microsoft fix his 88 ko patch than re-install 2Gb of .net ....

I'll wait until they patch the patch. ;-)

Moore@discussions.microsoft.com Joe Moore

Jul 29, 2007, 8:50:00 AM7/29/07
I received the following fix from Betty Hong of Microsoft Windows Update
Support. I followed her instructions and the problem was eliminated. I was
then able to install critical update KB928367 with no problems. Good luck.

Step 1: Use third party tool to remove the .NET Framework 1.0

1. Please download the .NET Framework Cleanup Tool from the following link:

http://astebner.sts.winisp.net/Tools/dotnetfx_cleanup_tool.zip

Please Note: Microsoft provides third-party contact information to help you
find technical support. This contact information may change without notice.
Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this third-party contact
information.

2. Unzip the zip file and then close all the open windows.

3. Double click Cleanup_tool.exe to run it, and then select the .Net
Framework 1.0 in the list box. Click “OK”, click “Yes”, and click “Cleanup
Now” to remove it completely.

After that, please restart the computer and perform the following
suggestions to reinstall .NET framework 1.0 and the updates for it.

Step 2: Install .NET Framework 1.0 Redistributable Package and .Net
Framework 1.0 SP3
1. Please download the Microsoft .NET Framework Version 1.0 Redistributable
Package from the following link and save it to the C drive (C:\)

Microsoft .NET Framework Redistributable 1.0
http://download.microsoft.com/download/e/b/2/eb247c2a-e6b3-4694-98a2-b27111d233dd/dotnetredist.exe

Microsoft .NET Framework 1.0 Service Pack 3
http://download.microsoft.com/download/d/b/0/db03c2e9-f8d6-41e4-b389-3027c48dcb33/NDP1.0sp3-KB867461-X86-Enu.exe

Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework, Version 1.0 Service Pack 3
(KB928367)

http://www.download.windowsupdate.com/msdownload/update/v3-19990518/cabpool/ndp1.0sp3-kb928367-x86-enu_e48bc8e446da56893bdb5733bcdb8ac82f3ac86e.exe

2. When the File download window appears, please click the Save button, and
then follow the directions to save the .NET Framework 1.0 setup file on your
computer, then double-click the .NET Framework file to install it.

---------------------

bluey...@gmail.com

Aug 10, 2007, 5:21:38 PM8/10/07
On Jul 29, 7:50 am, Joe Moore <Joe Mo...@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

> I received the following fix from Betty Hong of Microsoft Windows Update
> Support. I followed her instructions and the problem was eliminated. I was
> then able to install critical update KB928367 with no problems. Good luck.
>
> Step 1: Use third party tool to remove the .NET Framework 1.0

> 1. Please download the .NET Framework Cleanup Tool from the following link:
>
> http://astebner.sts.winisp.net/Tools/dotnetfx_cleanup_tool.zip
>
> Please Note: Microsoft provides third-party contact information to help you
> find technical support. This contact information may change without notice.
> Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this third-party contact
> information.
>
> 2. Unzip the zip file and then close all the open windows.
>
> 3. Double click Cleanup_tool.exe to run it, and then select the .Net
> Framework 1.0 in the list box. Click "OK", click "Yes", and click "Cleanup
> Now" to remove it completely.
>
> After that, please restart the computer and perform the following
> suggestions to reinstall .NET framework 1.0 and the updates for it.
>
> Step 2: Install .NET Framework 1.0 Redistributable Package and .Net
> Framework 1.0 SP3
> 1. Please download the Microsoft .NET Framework Version 1.0 Redistributable
> Package from the following link and save it to the C drive (C:\)
>
> Microsoft .NET Framework Redistributable 1.0http://download.microsoft.com/download/e/b/2/eb247c2a-e6b3-4694-98a2-...
>
> Microsoft .NET Framework 1.0 Service Pack 3http://download.microsoft.com/download/d/b/0/db03c2e9-f8d6-41e4-b389-...

> Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework, Version 1.0 Service Pack 3
> (KB928367)http://www.download.windowsupdate.com/msdownload/update/v3-19990518/c...

> 2. When the File download window appears, please click the Save button, and
> then follow the directions to save the .NET Framework 1.0 setup file on your
> computer, then double-click the .NET Framework file to install it.
>
> ---------------------
>

> "spazz" wrote:
> > Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework, Version 1.0 Service Pack 3
> > (KB928367)
>
> > Computer constantly alerting me of this important update, I click it to
> > install, it says it's installing but then after 30 seconds tells me that it
> > failed and was not installed. I turn off the computer, tells me it is
> > installing updates, I turn it back on to find the annoying alert of the same
> > update. Why won't this install? I've tried turning off Norton and any other
> > firewalls but to no avail.
>
> > I have Windows XP Version 2002 with Service Pack 2.
>
> > Anyone have any suggestions??
>
> > Thank you in advance- Hide quoted text -

Hi All...
I have tried every fix listed and then some on two different
computers. I sent the following to

I have been working on this issue (searching KB, Blogs etc) trying
suggested "Fixes" for three days and still have NO RESOLUTION. I have
four other workstations here at work with the same issue and need to
get a fix as soon as possible. I also do not want to go through three
days of trial and error for each of the remaining workstations.

I have ran the clean up tool, tried suggestions at http://support.microsoft.com/?id=320112
and http://support.microsoft.com/kb/824643, ran the Dial-a-fix and the
update still fails.

Since I provide technical support for these computers for users at a
call center, it is difficult to find large blocks of time to ask the
user to give up their PC, especially if there is no fix. I have tried
contacting Microsoft and basically was told to try the same things I
had told them I had already tried.

Does anyone have any new suggestions?? At this point, I will be
FOREVER grateful to anyone that provides a workable solution.....
Thank You

Howard Walker 635

Sep 28, 2007, 7:58:00 PM9/28/07
Is all this worth the effort? Is the net framework in use on your computer?
What is the penalty if you don't spend a week trying to sort it all out? And
most of all, how do you decide which of the three files of the fix program is
for your operating system. Its OK for the boffins at MS to quote their smart
code names, but how is an inexperienced user to know what they mean?
Thanks to everyone for trying, but I give up!
H Walker

Shenan Stanley

Sep 28, 2007, 8:04:57 PM9/28/07
Howard Walker 635 wrote:
> Is all this worth the effort? Is the net framework in use on your
> computer? What is the penalty if you don't spend a week trying to
> sort it all out? And most of all, how do you decide which of the
> three files of the fix program is for your operating system. Its OK
> for the boffins at MS to quote their smart code names, but how is
> an inexperienced user to know what they mean?

If you haven't seen any ill effects by now - you are unlikely to.

Control Panel --> Add or Remove Programs, locate each/any of the Microsoft
/NET Framework entries and uninstall all of them.

charlie

Nov 21, 2007, 11:11:01 PM11/21/07
I have been trying for weeks to fix this, I downloaded dial-a-fix and it
fixed it in 30 seconds thank you !!
--
charlie mckenna

Swinghammer@discussions.microsoft.com Chuck Swinghammer

Aug 18, 2008, 2:22:10 PM8/18/08
How's about a straight forward solution??????

I've tried everything except the registery solution.

Nothing works

I've got 17 updates ready to come in.

Thx

Chuck

chuck.sw...@gmail.com

MowGreen [MVP]

Aug 18, 2008, 2:51:39 PM8/18/08
If the OS is XP and if you've done a repair installation recently then
try Method 1 here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943144

If none of the above applies than supply relevant information so that
someone can assist you.

OS ?
Which updates ?

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

Chuck Swinghammer

Aug 18, 2008, 4:04:03 PM8/18/08
Dial-a-fix clean me up.

Thx

Chuck

PS - Your $5 will come tonite

Unknown

Dec 9, 2008, 1:10:03 PM12/9/08
my computer died had to go to recovery and re-do everything now I have no
service pack 1,2 or 3 can they be sent?

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Dec 9, 2008, 3:55:39 PM12/9/08
@stinky only: See
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsupdate/msg/3f5afa8ed33e121c

[It would've been better to begin a new thread than hijack someone else's.]
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net

stink...@msn.com wrote:
> my computer died had to go to recovery and re-do everything now I have no
> service pack 1,2 or 3 can they be sent?

<snip>

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Apr 16, 2009, 6:21:06 PM4/16/09
d00d! Why are you replying to spazz' post from 15 Jul-07 in the first
place, and especially since he replied to the thread 8 hours later (also on
15 Jul-07) to say that he managed to get KB928367 (which has been superceded
several times since then) installed?

[And WTF is the post still on the newsserver?]

Resles wrote:
> You may have to do an update of your service pack.This post is a couple
> years ago,so you might have already remedied the problem.You need to
> update
> your machine to the Service pack 3 first of all.see if that would help you
> out.Otherwise google your situation once,that always can lead you in the
> right direction.

Mike Lane

May 7, 2009, 4:58:11 AM5/7/09

If Shenan Stanley does not like people--does not like HELPING
people--enough to leave out the sarcasm and "mightier and smarter than
thou, and thou, and thou" rhetoric (note his 15-07-2007; 12:44 PM post),
maybe he should leave it to those who do. Or would that eliminate his
only way to feel superior than others?

--
Mike Lane
Mike Lane's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/96894.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

Harry Johnston [MVP]

May 7, 2009, 8:51:07 PM5/7/09
Mike Lane wrote:

> If Shenan Stanley does not like people--does not like HELPING
> people--enough to leave out the sarcasm and "mightier and smarter than
> thou, and thou, and thou" rhetoric (note his 15-07-2007; 12:44 PM post),
> maybe he should leave it to those who do. Or would that eliminate his
> only way to feel superior than others?

*plonk*

inns

Jan 31, 2010, 3:27:01 PM1/31/10
I have the same problem with XP service pack 3 and have not been able to make
the problem go away.

Shenan Stanley

Jan 31, 2010, 4:49:04 PM1/31/10
inns wrote:
> I have the same problem with XP service pack 3 and have not been
> able to make the problem go away.

You have the same problem as someone who posted 2 years and 6 months plus a
few days ago (as of now)?

http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsupdate/browse_frm/thread/7932577a9f5890d5/

You sure? And did you try any of the 29 other responses made to the
original posting?
(See the link above - that is the entire conversation you chose to respond
to instead of just explaining your issue in detail...)

Please give details of *your* system - it is likely completely different
than the original posters machine specs - most of the software has been
updated several times since then.

Otherwise - assuming you mean you were having trouble (as the subject line
implicates) with this update:

Description of the security update for the .NET Framework 1.0 Service Pack 3
for Windows Server 2008, Windows Vista, Windows Server 2003, Windows XP, and
Windows 2000: July 10, 2007
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928367

And given you have Windows XP (32-bit) with Service Pack 3 installed...
Here is what I suggest.

Reboot and logon as administrative user.

Download, install, run, update and perform a full scan with the following
(freeware version):

SuperAntiSpyware
http://www.superantispyware.com/

Reboot and logon as administrative user.

Download, install, run, update and perform a full scan with the following
(freeware version):

MalwareBytes
http://www.malwarebytes.com/

Reboot and logon as administrative user.

Download and run the MSRT manually:

You may find nothing, you may find only cookies, you may think it is a
waste of time - but if you do all this and report back here with what you
do/don't find as you are doing all of it - you are adding more pieces to
the puzzle and the entire picture just may become clearer and your
problem resolved.

Reboot and logon as administrative user.

Visit this web page:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058

... and click on the "Microsoft Fix it" icon. When asked, select "RUN",
both times. Check the "I agree" box and click on "Next". Check the box
for "Run aggressive options (not recommended)" and click "Next". Let
it finish up and follow the prompts until it is done.

Reboot and logon as administrative user.

You should now perform a full CHKDSK on your system drive (C:)...

How to scan your disks for errors
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315265
* will take time and a reboot

Reboot and logon as administrative user.

You should now perform a full Defragment on your system drive (C:)...

How to Defragment your hard drives
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314848
* will take time

Reboot and logon as administrative user.

Uninstall any and all third-party firewall applications (ZoneAlarm, etc)
and utilize the built-in WIndows Firewall only.

Reboot and logon as administrative user.

At this point - if the machine was mine - I would follow these directions:
http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vistawu/thread/ea20ba99-017e-4ae0-975b-1ef8b771dff8

In other words... Use the .NET Cleanup Tool (Method 2), reboot and install
the .NET Updates in this order:

- .Net Framework 3.5
(http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=333325FD-AE52-4E35-B531-508D977D32A6)
- .Net Framework 1.1
(http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=262D25E3-F589-4842-8157-034D1E7CF3A3&amp;)
- .Net Framework 1.1 SP1
(http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=A8F5654F-088E-40B2-BBDB-A83353618B38&amp;)

Should be good to go.

Needs repeating in full?
When installing updates using Windows update or Microsoft Update you may
receive Error 0x643 or 0x80070643 (23 Oct-09)
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/976982

=====================

Step #1 => Before doing anything else, write down what .NET Framework
versions are currently installed:

How to determine which versions of the .NET Framework are installed and
whether service packs have been applied
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/318785

Step #2 => Now see Resolution Method 2 in this related KB article...

When you try to install an update for the .NET Framework 1.0, 1.1, 2.0, 3.0,
or 3.5, you may receive Windows Update error code "0x643" or Windows
Installer error code "1603" (ignore the title, if need be)
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923100

After running the .NET Framework Cleanup Tool, reinstall all .NET Framework
versions (but only the ones you wrote down in #1 above) manually using the
download links on the page then run Windows Update manually to install
security updates for same.

NB: If you remove .NET Framework 3.5 (SP1) using the tool, reinstalling .NET
Framework 3.5 will also install .Net Framework 2.0 SP2 and 3.0 SP2; then
Windows Update will offer .NET Framework 3.5 SP1.

IMPORTANT! => If you remove .NET Framework 3.5 (SP1), reinstall your .NET
Framework versions in the following order:

1. .Net Framework 3.5, then...
2. .Net Framework 1.1, then...
3. .Net Framework 1.1 SP1

NB: KB923100 references this page:
http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2006/05/30/611355.aspx. Please read
ALL of it as well as the related page
http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/pages/8904493.aspx before using the .NET
Framework Cleanup Tool.

Come back - this conversation is (as you should be able to tell) archived
indefinitely. You giving feedback might help those in the future that have
issues like you.