Not installing updates

adrienne11rae

Apr 16, 2007, 1:02:05 PM4/16/07
For some reason my computer is not installing my updates. I have windows xp.
Any suggestions?

TaurArian [MS-MVP]

Apr 16, 2007, 5:59:55 PM4/16/07
On the WU Website, select your history of updates - now click on failed update (red mark)
and see if there is an error code.
If there is an error code, write it down and post back or in the alternative, do a search
for the error code.

You Cannot Install Some Updates or Programs
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822798

--

====================================
TaurArian [MS-MVP] 2005-2007 - Australia

"adrienne11rae" <adrien...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

BNHogger

Apr 16, 2007, 8:16:03 PM4/16/07
I too am having problems getting 11 updates to install. They keep failing
giving me the code Error Code: 0x80070643. Any suggestions?
Thank you

TaurArian

Apr 17, 2007, 1:30:06 AM4/17/07
Have you used a registry cleaner lately?

Assuming your updates relate to Office -

Office 2003 Update fails to install with error 0x80070643
http://update.microsoft.com/windowsupdate/v6/showarticle.aspx?articleid=42&ln=en&IsMu=False
You receive error 0x80070643 when you are installing Office 2003 Updates.
Updates fail to install because ose service is disabled or cannot be started.
Applicable Office versions: Office 2003

You receive an "Error 80070643" error message when you try to update Office
2003 by using Software Update Services
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=903772

SCCOLES

Apr 17, 2007, 1:34:02 AM4/17/07

SCCOLES

Apr 17, 2007, 1:40:02 AM4/17/07

SCCOLES

Apr 17, 2007, 1:46:01 AM4/17/07
Well it seems everyone has a problem is anyone finds the answer my Error
Code: 0x8024002D. This prevents me from using Microsoft Office
programs...HELP!

BNHogger

Apr 17, 2007, 1:48:02 AM4/17/07
Yes, I used RegCure, and these updates do apply to Office 2003. Also, am not
sure what ose service is.

Peter Foldes

Apr 17, 2007, 2:23:22 AM4/17/07
Yep. Did a small survey about 2 months ago from 100 posters with this issue in a crossgroup of newsgroups and 96 out of 100 used a reg cleaner that affected the Office Upgrades.

I will post my fix to the OP below in this thread

--
Peter

Peter Foldes

Apr 17, 2007, 2:25:18 AM4/17/07
Use the following fix below. Please post back with result

1st Rename Office subkeys

Note: Removing the following registry keys may reset customized user
settings for your Microsoft Office programs.

1. Close all the applications.
2. Click on Start->Run, type in REGEDIT and click on OK.
3. Locate and select the following registry subkeys:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0

4. Right click on 11.0 and rename them to Old11.
5. Close the Registry Editor.

2nd. Detect and Repair Office 2003

1. On the Windows taskbar, click Start, point to and click Control Panel.
2. Double-click Add/Remove Programs.
3. Click Change/Remove Programs on the left pane.
4. Highlight Microsoft Office Professional Edition 2003 on the right pane
and click Change.
5. Insert the correct version of CD when it requires.
6. Select "Reinstall and Repair" and click Next.
7. Select "Detect and Repair errors in my Office installation".
8. Click Install and wait the process to end.

3rd. Install the Updates

--
Peter

TaurArian

Apr 17, 2007, 2:46:01 AM4/17/07
Hi Peter,

Not surprised, the last reg cleaner to do that trick I believe was LSC
(going from memory) - at least that one had the courtesy of creating a backup
of the reg keys it deleted/mangled.

Curious why do you need to rename the "11.0 to Old11".
Wouldn't just the "detect and repair" fix the problem?

Kaylene

Peter Foldes

Apr 17, 2007, 3:06:30 AM4/17/07

The string in there is corrupted beyond repair. Also for the different versions of Office you obviously change the versions like Off2003=11 2007=12

--
Peter

TaurArian [MS-MVP]

Apr 17, 2007, 7:36:20 AM4/17/07
Don't ya just love "registry cleaners"

Thanks for the explanation.

====================================
TaurArian [MS-MVP] 2005-2007 - Australia
====================================
How to make a good post: http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
Backup and data recovery: http://www.acronis.com.sg/
Enhancing file system performance: http://www.diskeeper.com/defrag.asp

"Peter Foldes" <ok...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

BNHogger

Apr 17, 2007, 11:34:04 AM4/17/07
Thank you so much for your help. The problem is fixed, and the upgrades have
installed. Question though - what do I use to clean up the registry if not a
registry cleaner like RegEdit?
Thanks again.

Peter Foldes

Apr 17, 2007, 2:39:11 PM4/17/07
First of all You are Welcome. To answer your question about any Reg cleaner all I will say simply is that they all can cause serious issues like not able to boot or something like you just experienced. Reg cleaners are dangerous. Leaving some left over's in the registry does not cause you any issues and also does not take away space as believed by most. Leave the reg alone. If you do not know the registry then you have no business playing around in there especially with any Reg cleaner that does things on it's own.

--
Peter

Unknown

Jul 8, 2008, 5:01:03 PM7/8/08

Crystal

Nov 12, 2008, 12:01:00 PM11/12/08
I am having problems installing 11 high priority updates as well. They have
nothing to with Office. They are all security updates for XP. In the review
history there is no record that I tried to install or download today so there
is not any error codes. Any help here?

Crystal

rob

Jan 8, 2009, 7:01:01 AM1/8/09

I saw you were able to help the other guy with his issue and was hopeing you
could help me, I have windows xp professional and i downloaded all that it
told me to except for now iam getting no more updates anywhere and that
bothers me. would you know what i could do to install for both windows update
and microsoft updates ?im sure there are updates ready but all i get back are
there are no updates avail.

please help if you can Rob in Delaware..

TaurArian

Jan 8, 2009, 7:26:17 AM1/8/09
rob wrote:
:: I saw you were able to help the other guy with his issue and was

Hi Rob, the thread you are responding to is over 1 year old -
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroups/reader.mspx?query=rob+in+delaware&dg=microsoft.public.windowsupdate&cat=en-us-ms-winxp&lang=en&cr=US&pt=&catlist=B0DE109D-10E1-4C3C-BCC9-8EB7A22FC6A0&dglist=&ptlist=&exp=&sloc=en-us

Please read: How to ask a question: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375

And then start a new thread explaining what your problem is, what your
operating system and Service pack level is etc including any error codes.

thank you.

--

TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2009 - Update Services
http://taurarian.mvps.org

Shenan Stanley

Jan 8, 2009, 7:39:57 AM1/8/09

Rob in Delaware,

You chose to post on a widely distributed newsgroup (although you *may* have
used a web forum to do so, it is likely just 'synching' with the newsgroups
somehow) and quote *nothing* from the previous conversation and yet - refer
to it consistently. In other words - from the point of view I see (and
probably many others see) - you started a new posting yet seem to be talking
to someone.

After a little searching, I have found your posting and the April 2007
conversation you have decided to attach to...
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsupdate/browse_frm/thread/7320bc1a372898bc/b82ed3bddcd45376#b82ed3bddcd45376

At this time - the obvious points are...
- While I was typing this and searching - TaurArian responded in a similar
fashion.
- While TaurArian's response is correct - one has to wonder if you read
through the rest of the conversation to see if there was a fix someone gave
there that worked for you?

Anyway... Just a WAG, but one based off some experience...

Perform the following:

SuperAntiSpyware
http://www.superantispyware.com/

MalwareBytes
http://www.malwarebytes.com/

if you wish.

Reboot.

Start button --> RUN and type in:
%SystemRoot%\system32\net stop wuauserv
--> Click OK.

Start button --> RUN and type in:
%SystemRoot%\system32\regsvr32 %SystemRoot%\system32\wups2.dll
--> Click OK.

Start button --> RUN and type in:
%SystemRoot%\system32\net start wuauserv
--> Click OK.

... and save it to the root of your C:\ drive. After saving it to the root
of the C:\ drive, do the following:

Close all Internet Explorer Windows and other applications.

Start button --> RUN and type in:
--> Click OK.

Reboot.

Log on as a user with administrative rights and open Internet Explorer and
visit http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/ and select to do a CUSTOM scan...
(Every time you are about to click on something while at these web pages -
release the CTRL key after clicking each time.)

Once the scan is done, select just ONE of the high priority updates
(deselect any others) and install it.

Reboot again.

time.
against the "Windows Search" one. I would completely avoid the Optional
Hardware updates.

Come back - let us know if that worked.
... Really - come back and let everyone know if that worked.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP