WU Fails with 800A01CE error.

Sedoshi7

Sep 15, 2009, 4:00:01 PM9/15/09
What do I do about this error without having to reinstall windows?

MowGreen

Sep 15, 2009, 4:29:31 PM9/15/09
Sedoshi7 wrote:

> What do I do about this error without having to reinstall windows?

Start by providing some relevant information so that someone *may*
assist you: How to ask a question
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375

Information such as:
a) The edition of Windows installed and it's Service Pack level
b) When does the error occur ... during the download or installation of
updates ?
c) How long has this updating issue been happening ?
d) The *last* 50 or so lines of the WindowsUpdate.log after *first*
trying another attempt at updating:
How to read the Windowsupdate.log file
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/902093

0x800A01CE
The remote server machine does not exist or is unavailable

Either there is a 3rd party firewall being used, there is some 'thing'
on the local network blocking access to the update servers, the update
servers are temporarily unavailable, or, there's malware present on the
system blocking access to the update servers.

MowGreen
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

banthecheck.com
"Security updates should *not* have *non-security content* prechecked"

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Sep 15, 2009, 4:46:00 PM9/15/09
Please see this page http://members.shaw.ca/dts-l/goodpost.htm then post
back to this thread with the information we'd need to be able to assist you
properly.

cf.
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support/browse_frm/thread/dd59753b6f937728
where you tell us that using RegCure "did this."

If you think your Registry needs to be "cleaned" or "repaired," read
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=28099 and draw your own conclusions.

PS: WinXP Help & Support newsgroup was intended to be about Start | Help &
Support.

Jacqui

Mar 7, 2010, 5:34:01 PM3/7/10
iI too have a problem this message. A shame Microsoft can't understand the
problem either.

I noted from an earlier report of the same errors which was translated from
into English by google, and now i can't
wait for the Google OS to take over from the dross that is imposed on us by
Microsoft.

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Mar 7, 2010, 8:33:18 PM3/7/10
To avoid confusion, please begin a new thread about /your/ specific problem
and computer. State your IE version and full Windows version (e.g., WinXP
SP3; Vista SP1; Vista 64-bit SP2; Win7; Win7 64-bit) in your first post.
Thank you.

Jacqui wrote:
> iI too have a problem this message. A shame Microsoft can't understand the
> problem either.
>
> I noted from an earlier report of the same errors which was translated
> from
> into English by google, and now i can't
> wait for the Google OS to take over from the dross that is imposed on us
> by
> Microsoft.

<SNIP HIJACKED THREAD>