Unable to install as Administrator: Error number: 0x8DDD0002 Windows Vista Options

Newb

Jan 14, 2009, 7:43:09 PM1/14/09
Unfortunately, this doesn't work. I don't have 'SoftwareDistribution'
in Vista Home. There are two administrators and I have checked
wherever possible that we both have access to C Drive.

At times, some apps will not install even though we are signed in as
Admins.

Any suggestions?

dr_...@discussions.microsoft.com wrote:"
Hello all,

I have just come across the dredded Error 0x8DDD0002 whilst working
on
someones Vista Home Premium laptop for them today so decided to get to
the
bottom of the problem. I 've not quite got the bottom of it yet but
try this
solution as it has worked for me.

The solution may have arisen as a culmination of the usual fixes but
here is
how i managed.

1. Stop Windows Update Service - Start, Run, type 'services.msc',
press
Enter or Start, click in Start Search box, type 'services.msc'. The
services
box will appear and scroll down to 'Windows Update', right click
'Windows
Update and click 'Stop'.

2. Navigate into C:\ Drive, 'Windows' folder and right click
'SoftwareDistribution' and check "Administrators" has full control
permission
on the 'SoftwareDistribution' folder. If it doesnt change the so it
does. (In
my case i did not have to change any Security Settings). An
alternative would
be to rename the 'SoftwareDistribution' folder at this point to
SoftwareDistribution.old for example.

3. Open an 'Internet Explorer' page (Blue E Icon) click on 'Tools'
then
'Internet Options'. Click on the 'Advanced' tab on the right hand side
and
then click 'Reset' to Reset Internet Explorer Settings (Inc Home
Page). Close
off 'Internet Eplorer' page.

4. Start Windows Update Service - Start, Run, type 'services.msc',
press
Enter or Start, click in Start Search box, type 'services.msc'. The
services
box will appear and scroll down to 'Windows Update', right click
'Windows
Update and click 'Start'.

5. Open a new Internet Explorer page and visit the folowing link/
page:

http://www.update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate/v6/vistadefault.aspx?...

This should now present you with the Vista Microsoft Update agreement
page.
Chech mark the agreement box and click next then install to install
Microsoft
Update.

You should now have a fully working and functional Microsoft Update
for
windows Vista that was being stopped by Error Code 0x8DDD0002 'have to
be
logged on as an administrator type message.

See how you get on, post your replies success or failures.

yolaman

Aug 8, 2009, 5:07:30 PM8/8/09

it didn't work at all for me :(

--
yolaman
yolaman's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/122935.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

Shenan Stanley

Aug 8, 2009, 5:33:53 PM8/8/09
yolaman wrote:
> it didn't work at all for me :(

You are posting from some web based forum that synchronizes (somewhat) the
actual newsgroups these questions and answers come from. Therefore - all
many users will see is the above from you and a couple of links - which they
may not bother to follow. Not only that - you chose to change the subject?

So - you might be better off providing some information on your issue.
Start with what your operating system and service pack level is for said
operating system.

This conversation:
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsupdate/browse_frm/thread/6298556c6d3ad47f

Start button --> RUN
(no "RUN"? Press the "Windows Key" + R on your keyboard) --> type in:
winver
--> Click OK.

The picture at the top of the window that opens will give you the general
(Operating System name) while the line starting with the word "version" will
give you the rest of the story.

I could assume Windows Vista per your subject - but the Service Pack could
matter.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP