Failure of all updates in Vista Home Premium

Sirrus8

Feb 25, 2008, 10:30:01 PM2/25/08
I have repeated failures of all updates for Windows Vista Home Premium.
Error codes 80073701, 8024200D, 80070002, 80200010. Have followed the
instructions on 70002 and 00010. I cannot find documentation on the other 2
codes. I have had Microsoft Tech Support escalate problem to Research.
Research has been on my computer for 3 days, and still has no idea why this
computer stopped taking updates. All virus scans and malware/spyware scans
show no infection. Is this an isolated incident or is this something the
community is seeing from others? Any information about others with this
problem would be helpful. Research is scratching their collective heads, as
neither they nor I can find the conflict. All help welcome.

Engel

Feb 25, 2008, 10:55:00 PM2/25/08
Hello Sirrus8,

See if this thread helps

0x80073701 The referenced assembly could not be found.
ERROR_SXS_ASSEMBLY_MISSING
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=0x80073701&btnG=Search

0x8024200D SUS_E_UH_NEEDANOTHERDOWNLOAD The installer requires more data to
be downloaded
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=0x8024200D&btnG=Search

Just follow the yellow brick road ;-)

Good luck
- -- ---

Reijmerink@discussions.microsoft.com Teus Reijmerink

Jun 17, 2008, 8:51:02 AM6/17/08
I have exactly the same problems it failed to update the service pack 1 I got
the advive to re-install windows vista hamo premium and after that there is
no update downloaded and instaaled properly. I tried all the solutions
available, but now I am annoyed and desperate that it won't update at all!
Teus

Sirrus8

Jun 17, 2008, 7:31:00 PM6/17/08

"Engel" wrote:

Thank you for the help, and am sorry I forgot this post. Reasearch found
an error in code process for binary. This subject is closed Thanks to all
for the assist.

Eleanor

Mar 21, 2010, 2:37:01 PM3/21/10
I was having the same issue not long ago and was told that there was a
problem in the registry. I received the following simple-fix instructions
from a professional and it worked like a charm:
Corrupted Windows Update Temporary folders--
How to Rename the Windows Update Softwaredistribution folder
This problem may occur if the Windows Update, Software distribution folder
has been corrupted. We can refer to the following steps to rename this
folder. Please note that the folder will be re-created the next time we visit
the Windows Update site.

1. Close all the open windows.

2. Click the "Start" Button, click "All programs", and click "Accessories".

3. Right-click "Command Prompt" and click "Run as administrator".

4. In "Administrator: Command Prompt" window, type in "net stop WuAuServ"
(without the quotes) and press Enter.

Note: Please look at the cmd window and make sure it says that it was
successfully stopped before we try to rename the folder. If it fails, do not
perform any further steps. Notify Microsoft of the error messages you
receive.

5. Click the "Start" Button, in the "Start Search" box, type in "%windir%"
(without the quotes) and press Enter.

6. In the opened folder, look for the folder named "SoftwareDistribution".

7. Right-click on the folder, select "Rename" and type "SDold" (without the
quotes) to rename this folder.

8. Still in "Administrator: Command Prompt" window, type the command "net
start WuAuServ" (without the quotes) in the opened window to restart the
Windows Updates service.

Note: Please look at the cmd window and make sure it says that it was
successfully started.
Hope this helps you too.

Shenan Stanley

Mar 21, 2010, 6:06:57 PM3/21/10
<snipped>

Time Bubble?

The conversation you have just attempted to assist with started and ended in
2008. Two postings in February 2008 and two in June 2008. It is now March
21, 2010.

The entire conversation properly quoted and archived indefinitely:
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsupdate/browse_frm/thread/42790f10159e49a3/

I'm sure the original poster (who actually founf the time to come back and
essentially close the issue) and later hijacker might appreciate the
assistance - if they ever happen across this older post again.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP