"The page failed to load"

Russ

Jun 3, 2008, 6:42:06 PM6/3/08
Legitimate copy of Win Vista Ultimate SP1, all updates through last week ...

When I attempt to open Windows Update, I get an error message "The page
failed to load".

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Jun 3, 2008, 8:11:38 PM6/3/08

Support for Windows Update:

~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Jun 3, 2008, 8:31:11 PM6/3/08
PS: See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822798

PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
> https://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?gprid=6527
>
> Support for Windows Update:

Cathie

Jun 3, 2008, 9:41:44 PM6/3/08
Problem solved.

Evidently it was caused by the installation of "Xerobank Browser" version
2.0.0.14a. This application is a version of the Firefox Browser based on
Tor, and allows anonymous browsing. I installed it, not because I needed it,
but I was curious as to how it worked. After a trial run, I left it
installed and then, realizing it was Update Tuesday, attempted to check for
updates that may have been added today. That is when I got the "The page
failed to load".

Another person tried to help me and mentioned the Hosts file. This made me
think of the internet, which took me back to the Xerobank installation. I
uninstalled it and tried Win Update. Still no page. I then rebooted and
tried Win Update again. I got it and found that there was a new version of
Windows Defender.

All, again, is allright with the world and Windows Update will update (when
I want it to do so).

But beware of Xerobank Browser. I don't think the software is malicious, but
they've got a bad bug.

Russ
"PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABe...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Cathie

Jun 3, 2008, 9:49:23 PM6/3/08
Just so you guys and gals understand what just happened, I sent the first
message through my computer (Russ) and the second (and this one) through my
wife's laptop. That is why one was sent from "Russ" and the other from
"Cathie".

Russ

"Cathie" <c.coove...@verizon.net> wrote in message

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Jun 4, 2008, 2:07:31 PM6/4/08
Thanks for your feedback, Russ. Making IE the default browser may have
resolved the problem, too.

Ryan

Oct 5, 2009, 4:31:02 AM10/5/09

I looked in firefox addons & in programs & feartures but i can't find
Xerobank where & how did you remove it from your computer?

Shenan Stanley

Oct 5, 2009, 7:36:50 AM10/5/09
Ryan wrote:
> I looked in firefox addons & in programs & feartures but i can't
> find Xerobank where & how did you remove it from your computer?

The above is all one might see with a newsreader.
This is because you are replying to a conversationg that ended over one year
ago. June 4, 2008.
Please quote some of the previous message in the future - particularly when
replying to a message that old.

Entire Conversation:
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsupdate/browse_frm/thread/2e7092747f000135/

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

Micheal Jung

Oct 11, 2009, 11:05:02 AM10/11/09
I am also experiencing this error and can't find the xerobank browser

Shenan Stanley

Oct 11, 2009, 11:39:49 AM10/11/09

Micheal Jung wrote:
> I am also experiencing this error and can't find the xerobank
> browser

Did you ever install it? This is not something that just *appears* on your
computer. You would have had to download it and install it yourself. It is
not a virus, trojan, worm, spyware, adware that I know of. It is a
legitimate product that has to be gotten manually by you or those who use
your computer system and have the rights necessary to install applications.

Now -having said that and if you are still convinced that XeroBank Browser
is your issue - why haven't you gone and looked through the support and FAQs
of the company you originally downloaded the browser through? Specifically
https://xerobank.com/, their support section is here:
https://xerobank.com/support/.

I am doubting your issue has anything to do with this browser. If you read
the original conversation you were replying to - I'd like you to compare
your situation and the original posters *very closely*. Recall if you ever
loaded the "XeroBank Browser".

Now - let's get to *your* problem.

Please provide Operating system (edition and service pack level,
the more detail, the better.):

Start button --> RUN
(no "RUN"? Press the "Windows Key" + R on your keyboard)
--> type in:
winver
--> Click OK.

The picture at the top of the window that opens will give you the general
(Operating System name) while the line starting with the word "version" will
give you the rest of the story. Post _both_ in response to this message
verbatim. ;-)

Now that you have provided your WIndows edition and version, let's move
on to some basic cleanup that can be done on WIndows XP or Windows
Vista...

SuperAntiSpyware
http://www.superantispyware.com/

MalwareBytes
http://www.malwarebytes.com/

if you wish.

Download and run the MSRT manually:

Reboot.

Then follow the instructions here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058

Reboot.

Try to get updates again.

Knowing what OS (edition and version) you are using will help
troubleshoot beyond the above tips - if you still have issues.
You will have to come back and let everyone know.

If you do have to come back - please provide details. What errors
you are seeing (word-for-word, not your interpretation) and what it
is you are doing when you see that error/message. You definitely
should provide the operating system (edition and version) you are
using if you expect to get any directed support.

In *any* case - please come back - report on your progress. Reply
to this very posting and let everyone know how things went/are
going. It is archived and floats about for many years after it is
originally posted (as is obvious by the replies this one has gotten
over a year after it was originally posted.) Old posts, if read and
comprehended, can help solve users problems with many different
things.

Micheal Jung

Oct 18, 2009, 8:36:01 PM10/18/09
Ok,
Version 6.0(Build 6002: Service Pack 2)
Windows Vista Home Premium operating system
Hewlett-Packard

I downloaded the SuperAntiSpyware, and MalwareBytes programs.
I will do the full scans then await you're reply in case there is something
you can update me about my version/service pack.

Shenan Stanley

Oct 18, 2009, 8:56:05 PM10/18/09

Micheal Jung wrote:
> Version 6.0(Build 6002: Service Pack 2)
> Windows Vista Home Premium operating system
> Hewlett-Packard
>
> I downloaded the SuperAntiSpyware, and MalwareBytes programs.
> I will do the full scans then await you're reply in case there is
> something you can update me about my version/service pack.

If your operating system is 64-bit... Then this part of my instructions:

> How do I reset Windows Update components?
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058

Should be exchanged with this:

> Download/Run this:
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=f6f353c0-d00e-43e7-97ef-0feefc7ff064

You'll want to still do the original instruction if you have a 32-bit OS.

Unsure about that?
To see if your computer is running 32-bit or 64-bit Windows, do the
following:
1. Open System by clicking the Start button, clicking Control Panel,
clicking System and Maintenance, and then clicking System.
2. Under System, you can view the system type.

You will also want to check though your "Control Panel" --> "Programs and
Features" to see if you have the browser installed or not (you did not
verify whether or not you had actually installed it.)

Haaitje

Oct 20, 2009, 2:00:02 PM10/20/09

I also encounter the same problem. My Alienware runs on Vista Ultimate X32
SP 2.
I tried the solution you all came up with, but none of it is helping.
The Windows Update Indident Report didn't help me either.
I know when the problem started.
After the first tim that I got the message "page failed to load" I
reinstalled Windows. After that Updater would start normally. Only I got the
message that the updater had to be updated before I could download other
updates. So I updated the updater and that's when I hit the rough patch
again.... "page failed to load".
Can anybody help me?

"Shenan Stanley" wrote:

> .

Micheal Jung

Oct 21, 2009, 2:03:30 AM10/21/09
Hi me again,
I have vista running on 64-bit, and i don't have the Xeno thing.
However, after downloading the scanners then that new link you sent me, it
still didn't fix my problem :( anymore suggestions ?

"Shenan Stanley" wrote:

> .

Shenan Stanley

Oct 21, 2009, 2:26:15 AM10/21/09

Micheal Jung wrote:
> I have vista running on 64-bit, and i don't have the Xeno thing.
> However, after downloading the scanners then that new link you sent
> me, it still didn't fix my problem :( anymore suggestions ?

You do realize you only get updates in Windows Vista/Windows 7 throught the
control panel application - not Internet Explorer, right?

My next suggestion for you...

Download and install the following patches:

Description of the Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008 installation
software feature update released April 28, 2009
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/955430

Given what you have, you will specifically need this version:

Update for Windows Vista for x64-based Systems (KB955430)
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=f8db990c-9136-4332-8c16-1bd79a1559d3

And the .NET Framework 3.5 SP1:

Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Family Update for Windows Vista x64, and
Windows Server 2008 x64
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=98e83614-c30a-4b75-9e05-0a9c3fbdd20d

(Follow the directions given under "Additional Information" - three files in
a specific order.)

Reboot.

Ensure you have the latest version of the "Windows Update Agent"...

How to obtain the latest version of the Windows Update Agent to help manage
updates on a computer
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949104

Specifically, given what you have, you will download/install:
http://download.windowsupdate.com/windowsupdate/redist/standalone/7.4.7600.226/windowsupdateagent30-x64.exe

Reboot.

Check for any additional updates via the normal method, install the
high-priority/critical ones found - if you can.

Reboot.

If some are still failing, try the following...

Open a command prompt (Run as Administrator) and type in the following
command:

netsh winhttp reset proxy

Reboot.

Try again.

Still failing? Probably should start looking in your WIndowsUpdate.log file
for answers...

How to read the Windowsupdate.log file
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/902093

You could - if you wish - post the last 50 or so lines of this log file here
for review... Although I suggest you look through it for obvious errors and
the likes first.

After you clear up any issues, reboot.

Check for any additional updates because of what you did above.

Still no good - also provide this information in your response:

- What AntiVirus software are you utilizing? Have you tried disabling it
and trying to get updates?
- What firewall application are you using (or are you using the built-in
Windows Firewall)?
- Are you behind any Internet Proxy server?
- Have you manually (or through any group policies) disabled any
services?

- Brazil.@discussions.microsoft.com Thor - Brazil.

Oct 27, 2009, 11:54:01 AM10/27/09
Hi, mate !

I solved my issue "The page failed to load" on Windows Update in this
way : Uninstall the software MyColors Stardock . If you have one, this works
!!!
Mycolors have a bug and the Stardock enterprise releases another version
very soon .

Bye !

Micheal Jung

Nov 9, 2009, 11:56:02 PM11/9/09
Hi, so I finally got my windows update to actually work.
Um, I had a program that altered my desktop theme, and as soon as i went
back to the vista theme, my windows update worked. Haha, lots of rebooting to
figure that out haha

Anyways, thanks :D

Burnfactor77

Nov 18, 2009, 12:04:11 PM11/18/09
Check that you don't run an application software via impusle. If you're
running my colors, windows blinds or any other such software item in impulse,
check that it is updated. This resolve my issue where windows update would
not appear. Performing an update to my colors resolved that issue.

gregleonard

Nov 19, 2009, 10:05:19 PM11/19/09
Unloading windowblinds and re-enabling the default vista theme worked for me.

Burnfactor77 wrote:

Check that you do not run an application software via impusle.
18-Nov-09

Check that you do not run an application software via impusle. If you are

running my colors, windows blinds or any other such software item in impulse,
check that it is updated. This resolve my issue where windows update would
not appear. Performing an update to my colors resolved that issue.

Write an ASP Event Log Viewer Using WMI
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials/aspnet/5f6a9f08-96d8-45cf-ba5e-92a1a1c59c12/write-an-asp-event-log-vi.aspx

YoungJoe

Nov 30, 2009, 9:54:01 PM11/30/09
If you have got the stardock colours , uninstall it....
I have had the same problem "The page failed to load".
After uninstalling stardock colours all became normal.
Hope this will help you.

Bluesrains

Dec 4, 2009, 5:00:01 AM12/4/09
Hi Russ,

Im getting the same thing. Cant get windows updates, on Vista Premium, SP1
Whats wrong?????