Update Problem

MN

Jun 27, 2010, 10:52:08 PM6/27/10
Recently, I downloaded & installed updates by going to the Windows Update
site -- just like I regularly do, . The update process went fine -- all
updates were installed. NOW, however, the program (Acronis) that I
regularly use to backup my hard-drive crashes with a BSOD specifying a
kernel error. I guess that I will have to UNinstall these updates to be able
to run that program. Is there any way I can find out which update is causing
the problem so I only have to UNinstall only one of these updates?

I use WinXP Pro SP2.

Harry Johnston [MVP]

Jun 28, 2010, 12:19:24 AM6/28/10
On 2010-06-28 2:52 p.m., MN wrote:

> Recently, I downloaded& installed updates by going to the Windows Update

I would imagine that Acronis has a support web site, so I'd suggest you start
there. There may even be an update to Acronis that will fix the problem.

If you can't find any other solution, you will have to uninstall the recent
updates one by one until the problem goes away. Then reinstall all but the last
update removed and see if that works. I would recommend that you then reinstall
that last update and try again just to confirm that it really is what is
triggering the problem; if so, you can uninstall it again - but if it is a
security update you may want to carefully consider the implications.

Make sure you reboot after each uninstall/reinstall operation before testing
Acronis.

Harry.

--
Harry Johnston
http://harryjohnston.wordpress.com

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Jun 28, 2010, 10:13:05 AM6/28/10
Which updates did you install (e.g., KB979559)?

Why isn't SP3 installed yet?

Support for WinXP (x86) SP2 ends on 13 July 2010. After that date, computers
running WinXP (x86) SP2 "will no longer receive software updates from
Windows Update" (i.e., Automatic Updates will not work and Windows Update
website will not be accessible) until SP3 has been installed. Extended
Support for WinXP SP3 will continue through 08 April 2014.

� What does it mean if my version of Windows is no longer supported?
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/help/what-does-end-of-support-mean

MN

Jun 28, 2010, 8:00:24 PM6/28/10

PA Bear [MS MVP]